Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

KBQ ~ has landed

Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Abom
    The KBQ is a great machine. And its a blast to operate. And a huge hit at gatherings. People are not really sure of what they are looking at when they see you cooking. Especially when you roast things over the open fire, while more cuts smoke below.

Don't worry about the wood. That is easy to find. Or you can cut it yourself, like a lot of us do. You'll be more worried about what to smoke next.

And Bill Karu (creator/owner) is a great guy to work with. He is the man.
    Check it out!
    [rev_slider alias=”slider” order=”1,2,3,4,6,7,5,8,9,10,11,23,17,18,19,20,21,22,12,24,25,26,27,28,29,30,31,32,33,34,35,36,37,38,39,40,41,42″][/rev_slider] After leading tours of over 230 commercial barbecue establishments across the country, I can say that the Karubecue: 1) Meets our rigorous standard of a traditional, wood-fired barbecue pit; and 2) Eliminates the barriers to making consistently great finished product. From our… keep reading

Comment

• EdF
      EdF commented
      Editing a comment
      "Stand there and we will taunt you another time"!

Man! I'm loving the KBQ community!!

Comment

• Histrix
      Histrix commented
      Editing a comment
      I wonder how many peeps we would need so we could try and get our own subforum??

• Spinaker
      Spinaker commented
      Editing a comment
      I think Pit Barrel has one. There is enough info in this thread to justify one. I am with you Histrix

• JGrana
      JGrana commented
      Editing a comment
      I would also like to see a KBQ sub forum!

KBQ sub Forum. We can bring it to the higher ups and see what they have to say. I looked and there actually are not any sub forums for specific cookers, that I could find. But this could be a start. I actually think a lot of members would enjoy it. A forum for the PBC, Kettle SNS, WSM, KBQ, stick burners, Kamados, etc. It would be a great and convenient way for member to navigate to there specific cooker. Huskee David Parrish Jerod Broussard fuzzydaddy

Comment

• Histrix
      Histrix commented
      Editing a comment
      There are already sub-forums for - Kettles, PBC, Kamados, Bullet Smokers, Rec-Tec in the Charcoal and Pellet sub-forums.

So I guess what we want is a Karubecue sub-sub-forum in the Logs sub-forum.

• Spinaker
      Spinaker commented
      Editing a comment
      Gotcha. I did not dig deep enough. As is the case with this place often.

• Jerod Broussard
      Jerod Broussard commented
      Editing a comment
      You'd figure a country boy would have a PHD- post hole digger

I got 2 racks of beef short ribs from Costco. That's for Sunday, CAN'T WAIT!

Comment

• Ernest
      Ernest commented
      Editing a comment
      There's just one Costco that's stocking the beef racks. I discovered it by accident. It's 15 miles from my house and my regular Costco store.

• smokinfatties
      smokinfatties commented
      Editing a comment
      In california it can vary from store to store! there is always tri tip, but only select stores carry prime tri tip. In LA I can also get bone in beef shorties from time to time but not always.

• Ernest
      Ernest commented
      Editing a comment
      That Costco store is now my favorite.

And action......

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20160918_124704-picsay.jpg
Views:	388
Size:	94.6 KB
ID:	362081
    Last edited by Ernest; August 13, 2017, 06:54 PM.

Comment

Beautiful Ernest

Comment

Ernest - back at you Ernest... you inspired me to give it a try.... Click image for larger version

Name:	beef ribs.jpg
Views:	382
Size:	77.9 KB
ID:	222073

Comment

• Ernest
        Ernest commented
        Editing a comment
        I'll take those over brisket any day.

Beautiful slvance

Comment

About to eat! Celebrating the Cowboys win!!

Oh yeah!!

Name:	IMG_20160918_175500.jpg
Views:	387
Size:	101.7 KB
ID:	362083

Name:	Dino beef.jpg
Views:	363
Size:	114.0 KB
ID:	362084
        Last edited by Ernest; August 13, 2017, 06:55 PM.

Comment

• slvance
          slvance commented
          Editing a comment
          Looks way better than mine turned out.... will post more about my "learning experience" on another post.

• slvance
          slvance commented
          Editing a comment
          Oh - big cowboys fan here too... Skins suck...

• Spinaker
          Spinaker commented
          Editing a comment
          Cheering these ribs. The Cowboys? Not so much.

You got to learn man.... you just got to learn...
        Made Beef ribs on Kamado Sunday....
        1) first time using the Maverick and found out my grate temp was off (high) by 40 degrees - actually the grate temp was right - the Dome Temp was off.... So they were getting over cooked for awhile
        2) Was in a rush to try and get done for dinner cause we were having folks over, so I put them in before the dirty smoke burned off...
        3) Also put in way to much wood I think - does beef react more to that?
        4) Put on too much rub or something - was using an "experts" recommendation, but it just seems to me between the slathering stuff (major salty) - the rub (pretty salty) - the spritzing/mop (beef broth with Soy sauce = more salt) they were just too salty
        5) We ate them... they were OK. (at best).. the biggest issue to me was the dirty smoke... just did not taste right at all. They were also very very greasy even though I trimmed all the fat - removed the silverskin - and I scored the bottom so fat could go through...

BUT - I can't wait to try to do it right!

Comment

• Spinaker
          Spinaker commented
          Editing a comment
          Dirty smoke......yeah.....so when are you buying your KBQ ?

• Ernest
          Ernest commented
          Editing a comment
          Spinaker THAT will fix the two issues: dirty smoke and temperature

• Spinaker
          Spinaker commented
          Editing a comment
          Exactly man! Ernest

Don mind me. Just posting some KBQ fire Shots.

Name:	IMG_0389.JPG
Views:	419
Size:	156.2 KB
ID:	222522 Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0538.JPG
Views:	417
Size:	163.3 KB
ID:	222524

Comment

Spinaker Ernest I know... I know.... damn. It's next. Only thing that worries me is weather... what do you do with that thing and it is fired up and hot as hell and all of a sudden here comes the rain? Happened to me Sunday... but with a Kamado it was no big deal.... Do you stand out there with an umbrella?

Comment

• Spinaker
            Spinaker commented
            Editing a comment
            I ran into snow before but never rain. in the snow, I just let it ride. i just used a small tupperware to cover most of the induction motor and fans. Then left the lid on the firebox. Worked like a charm.

• slvance
            slvance commented
            Editing a comment
            ahh... I forgot the firebox does have a lid..... thanks....

• Koy Schoppe
            Koy Schoppe commented
            Editing a comment
            Rain has happened to me. I just wheeled it under the patio and kept the lid on the fire.

One other question Spinaker Ernest - what happens with the KBQ when you have a long cook - where do the ashes go? Just into the air?

Comment

• Ernest
            Ernest commented
            Editing a comment
            They drop into an ash tray under the firebox. It's quite a big box.

• Spinaker
            Spinaker commented
            Editing a comment
            Yeah I have done 12 + hour cooks, and haven't come close to filling the box.

• Koy Schoppe
            Koy Schoppe commented
            Editing a comment
            I am always amazed at how little ash is actually left after a day of burning logs.

I pulled the plug... but only because of a deal that I'm sure is too good to be true. There was one used KBQ on Amazon. It was listed as like new (but in the details it said it was new and had never been used) - the price $480 + $60 shipping. I figure this has to be some scam, but I know if it is that Amazon will stand by it and give me my money back... it said there were 2 so there should be one left if anyone is interested.... I'll update if I get a shipping notice...

Comment

• KBQ
            KBQ commented
            Editing a comment
            I doubt you'll ever see a legit deal like this. The only place to buy a new one is from me, made by my hands. And if you learned about it here, do everyone a solid and click thru AR to buy it on amazon!

• slvance
            slvance commented
            Editing a comment
            I'll do it.... just got to get the boss to OK it.... I have a $500 limit :=)

• slvance
            slvance commented
            Editing a comment
            KBQ these guys are amazing... Amazon took down the Used listing. AND - they already have a new "used" listing on Amazon - for a "newly" listed seller - this time for $800 out of Illinois. I wonder how these guys expect to make money?

I pulled the plug..... ha ha ha.. I meant the trigger.....

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
          No announcement yet.
          Working...
          X
          false
          ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
          false
          false
          {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
          Yes
          ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
          /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here