Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

KBQ ~ has landed

Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I just left the KBQ "factory". Bill gave me a tour of the big boy KBQ 400 unit.
    I'm kinda speechless!!! It's a thing of beauty, the science behind it..... ASTONISHING!!!

Then I drove off
    Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20191216_192051.jpg
Views:	893
Size:	60.1 KB
ID:	779831

Comment

• ComfortablyNumb
      ComfortablyNumb commented
      Editing a comment
      I thought the 400 would have come in a bigger box!! ;-)

Congratulations, double the pleasure, double the fun....Doublemint Gum!

• Ernest
      Ernest commented
      Editing a comment
      Hahaha I was hoping that I'd open the box and the KBQ 400 would pop out transformer style

Ernest I spent a fair amount of time chatting on the phone with Bill as well as his partner (Laurie) in their commercial venture about their very cool KBQ 400.
    I even went as far as discussing a quote with Laurie for specific "add-ons" with two of them being gas assist and self-cleaning.
    After looking at the price and the possible diversities of this incredibly well designed KBQ 400 smoker, I told Bill that I had decided to simply go with more C-60 units for this "1st run" at it.
    -
    My reasoning was basically due to multiple advantages of a "small time, starting-out-slow guy" like me in running more C-60's, with but a few detriments. (In my way of looking at it)
    Fact is, after our discussions, and my thinking about the possible options...
    1) The 400 still sadly has the same 20 to 35 minute wood add, which means someone has to be there all the time and the "keeper-of-the-flame" cannot go away for long to do other things a business requires, he/she is stuck there watching the fire.
    2) If wanting to cook say... pork as well as brisket, the 400 is not the machine to do that in as the meat is "Ferris Wheeled" so any dripping product will fall on the meat below it unless some add-on "catcher" (that I didn't hear about) is employed below each level/layer of meat.
    3) Price was also a big advantage as I can purchase one 400 that will cook 23 packers, or 8 each C-60's and cook 24 packers with a price difference of $12,000 which is $500 per packer in one cook, versus $23,000 or $1000 per packer in one cook. (My weird math)
    4) Versatility was another huge consideration, where 8 each C-60's could conceivably smoke pork shoulder, brisket, beef ribs, pork ribs, chicken, turkey, sausage and salmon... all at the same time and all at different temperatures as needed.
    5) Running Apple wood on my pork and Mesquite on my beef at the same time is another easy task with multiple C-60's and not possible with a 400.
    6) If running 8 C-60's and a controller goes bad, I have a spare one on the shelf that I have already bought "just in case" and it will work on any of them, changing out in seconds.
    Plus, the C-60 controller is a very basic/simple unit to troubleshoot and repair, whereas the controller on a 400 is much more complicated and with more bells and whistles, there is more to fail.
    7) If on one day I have a few smallish orders of this and that, say six apple smoked pork shoulders and six oak smoked packers, 4 each C-60's would be the "master" of that situation and a 400 would take way longer as one meat group would have to "wait in line" so to speak.
    -
    A big-time restaurant with hundreds of customers daily could buy several KBQ 400's and that would be the "cat's meow" for their situation.
    I am sure that I am not seeing the advantages of a single 400 unit as clearly as I should, probably because I have already committed to the "path" of multiple C-60's, but with currently having 4 units, I am half way "there" to my goal at this stage in the game, plus, I own them and am not still making payments.

Smoke On!
    Last edited by BBQ_Bill; December 17, 2019, 12:26 AM.

Comment

BBQ Bill actually you make a lot of sense!!!!

Comment

• BBQ_Bill
        BBQ_Bill commented
        Editing a comment
        Thank you for the kind compliment Ernest.
        I currently "fire up" each KBQ as orders fill them.
        All product is held hot and ready to eat.
        After sales, my family eats any leftovers.
        With that way of operating and thinking, my customers and I would be waiting longer if I went the other route.
        My decision from the start has been to slice and serve paying customers fresh cooked/smoked product, never chilled and then reheated.

• hogdog6
        hogdog6 commented
        Editing a comment
        BBQ_Bill that is how my son and I are trying to do it, "slice and serve" Goal of 6 KBQ's. Your maths makes good sense for the little guy.
        The regulations to do a food trailer are making what we want to do very difficult though.

• BBQ_Bill
        BBQ_Bill commented
        Editing a comment
        Agreed hogdog6
        This is one reason to sell TO the food trucks for cash. One bite of your burnt ends and they are "hooked"
        Last edited by BBQ_Bill; December 17, 2019, 02:29 PM.

BBQ_Bill What are your current poppet settings for cooking with the KBQ?
      Last edited by lostclusters; December 18, 2019, 11:28 AM.

Comment

Howdy @lostclusters
        For a stock, unmodified KBQ, my settings were a fully open bottom and 1/4" top poppet.
        -
        After adding my latest "Mod" the top poppet is completely closed, basically "sealed" and no longer used.
        With this mod, heavy smoke input is first measured by sized port plug inserts, and then any ash is removed before this smoke passes through the coal tray.
        This idea/design is intended to increase smoke flavor on product without introducing any ash.
        To adjust smoke flavor, the port plug size is changed.
        -
        It was the result of frustration when trying to get more smoke flavor, and ending up with more ash on the meat.
        More on this mod later after trialing is completed.

Comment

• OmegaDog12
          OmegaDog12 commented
          Editing a comment
          BBQ_Bill. I'm always fascinated with you posts and depth of knowledge on the KBQ. Are you selling the poppet mods (or any other mods) yet? The door mod was great. Please let me know of others for sale, esp. when you write your "How to Smoke On the KBQ" book!
          The OmegaDog

• BBQ_Bill
          BBQ_Bill commented
          Editing a comment
          @OmegaDog12
          I am still trialing the "poppet mod" and do not have enough data at this time to know if it is worthwhile.
          IF this mod successfully does what it was designed to do, I will sell them here at AR at near my cost.
          On another note... maybe when I retire, I will have time to publish a book.
          Way too busy now, especially after my wife broke her leg in an accident.
          I have become the "wife" doing most of what she did, plus what I normally do.

• Dr. Pepper
          Dr. Pepper commented
          Editing a comment
          BBQ_Bill Sorry to hear about your wife's leg fracture. My wife used to point out that she did everything around the house, AND everything I normally do! Women are tough! And to be feared and respected. 🙄
          Last edited by Dr. Pepper; January 7, 2020, 08:11 PM.

Name:	IMG_20191222_152717.jpg
Views:	828
Size:	97.9 KB
ID:	782023

Comment

KBQ has seen some updates!!!!!!! Subtle but I noticed that right away . Less running noise,

Comment

First cook on K2BQ2. I had to do beef ribs

Name:	first.jpg
Views:	829
Size:	231.7 KB
ID:	782128

Comment

• BBQ_Bill
            BBQ_Bill commented
            Editing a comment
            Brings back great memories of my 2nd KBQ.
            Wonderful Ernest!

Name:	beef ribs.jpg
Views:	791
Size:	148.9 KB
ID:	782157

Comment

• Dr. Pepper
            Dr. Pepper commented
            Editing a comment
            Ernest Looks like you applied lipstick to those beef ribs!

• Ernest
            Ernest commented
            Editing a comment
            Dr. Pepper freezer trick........

Tips for Your Next Beef Rib Smoke/Cook

Please examine the photos closely of the Ernest beef plate rib smoke/cook above.
          Note the nice thick bark.
          Your bark will NOT be near as good if you leave the surface fat on as shown in the photo below.
          -
          Beef plate ribs are very marbled with fat, similar to a prime point on a brisket, so they will not dry out like a brisket flat will.
          Basically, there is no need to leave the surface fat on trying to prevent them from drying out in the smoke/cook.
          -
          Again, bark does not build well on fatty surfaces, and a smoke ring will not develop well either, so remember to remove all surface fat on these rich fatty ribs.
          -
          As a note...
          4-Rib Beef Chuck (NAMP 130) are similar, so remove the external fat on them when trimming to get better bark.
          -
          Click image for larger version  Name:	Poor Bark Due to Fat on Surface.jpg Views:	0 Size:	758.4 KB ID:	782929

Also, you might consider 40 pound peach butcher paper wrapping after the color is good and bumping the temperature up to help render out more of the internal fat.
          -
          FYI, wrapping in aluminum foil will hold the rendered oil in, and then you will be "frying" that wonderful bark you just built in hot oil, which is not a good thing.
          Just like with a packer brisket, 40 pound peach butcher paper allows the rendered fat (hot oil) to drip through (into a cookie sheet below) and holds the gelatin and moisture in which IS a good thing, building incredible flavor into the bark.
          -
          Please note that these two cuts, the 3-rib Plate as well as the 4-rib Chuck are incredibly rich and fatty, so a little fat rendering into oil, and getting rid of it is a good thing.

Smoke On!
          Last edited by BBQ_Bill; January 7, 2020, 07:51 PM. Reason: Thought that some advice regarding foil versus paper was needed.

Comment

Well Said Bill!!

Comment

• BBQ_Bill
              BBQ_Bill commented
              Editing a comment
              Thanks bro, you got this down for sure

Dropped a prime rib in 200 degrees KBQ.....just let it hang in there, I had all day...

Name:	IMG_20191225_170817.jpg
Views:	790
Size:	105.0 KB
ID:	783348Click image for larger version

Name:	prime rib.jpg
Views:	729
Size:	162.7 KB
ID:	783349

Comment

Name:	KBQ prime rib.jpg
Views:	772
Size:	96.8 KB
ID:	783393

Comment

• texastweeter
                texastweeter commented
                Editing a comment
                we had similar Christmas dishes. I did mine at 225°, pulled at 118° rested, then seared at 500° convect for 15 minutes.

• Ernest
                Ernest commented
                Editing a comment
                I didn't bother with searing.

See comment above. Not a KBQ, but hey, I wanted to join the party. What stick you puffing on? Looks like Olivia colors, but not their normal oval band. Alec Bradley maybe?
              Attached Files
              Last edited by texastweeter; December 26, 2019, 12:02 AM.

Comment

• frigate
                frigate commented
                Editing a comment
                texastweeter What brand is the knife in picture #2? The Damascus is awesome.

• texastweeter
                texastweeter commented
                Editing a comment
                frigate Dalstrong Shogun series slicer.

• Ernest
                Ernest commented
                Editing a comment
                texastweeter I have recently converted to Dalstrong knives! FANTASTIC

My New Year's Day Cook

Locally all I have been able to get are brisket flats. I found an area butcher who got get me a full packer. Noon time 12/31/19 I pickup a 12.6 lb. full packer.

The first brisket i cooked was dry. The Admiral said I needed to do something about that. So i started making injections. After a few tries I got one we both liked.

Frigate’s Brisket Injection Ver. 1.0

2 cups of beef broth
              ½ cup of Worcestershire sauce
              1 ½ scoops Butcher Beef powder
              ¼ cup Butcher’s Phosphate
              2 tablespoons granulated garlic
              2 teaspoons onion powder
              Bring beef broth and Worcestershire sauce to a boil over medium heat. Decrease heat to a simmer. Whisk in the Butcher powder, phosphate, granulated garlic and onion powder. Continue to simmer until the stock is reduced by one third. Refrigerate till cool.

Trimmed the brisket and injected it. The Admiral gets a kick out of the brisket looking like the former governor of CA after I inject it. Then I used my rub from page 101 post #1515. Next the brisket went into the refrigerator over night.

6:00AM
              01/01/20 start the fire using cherry wood. 6:15AM the fire is at 275 degrees F. Brisket out of the refrigerator and into the smoker. Point end to back of smoker.

3:53PM
              The brisket was at 203 degrees F internal temp. and the temp. probe move in the brisket like in butter.

4:00PM-6:00PM
              The brisket rested then we eat.

Name:	IMG_0330.JPG
Views:	756
Size:	142.0 KB
ID:	786937

Name:	IMG_0332.JPG
Views:	675
Size:	129.4 KB
ID:	786938

Comment

• ArtSob
                ArtSob commented
                Editing a comment
                Looks awesome! Any pics of after cutting into it?

Curious about the injection... I've always been a bit hesitant on brisket injection, especially for competition. How did you settle on this, since you said you both liked it?

• frigate
                frigate commented
                Editing a comment
                No after pictures of this cook.

First I tried marinading but the marinade did not get very deep into the meat and was a real mess to deal with. I do a lot of reading. Have the competition and back yard books from Mixon, Cookston, Franklin and Stone. Also have Meathead's book. Took parts from different books and mixed together. A lot of trail and error but with each trail we got closer to what we both like.

• Spinaker
                Spinaker commented
                Editing a comment
                Wow,. That looks fantastic!

Announcement

Collapse
            No announcement yet.
            Working...
            X
            false
            ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
            false
            false
            {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
            Yes
            ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
            /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here