Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

KBQ ~ has landed

Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I use Invasion.

Comment

Mpryan I use the maverick only for cooking temp. Threaded through the hole by the fan.

Comment

Originally posted by Mpryan View Post
        Do any of you use a leave in meat temp probe? If so which one?
        Thanks Mike
        I use a cheap weber dial thermo. I just stick it in through the corner of the cook box. Or I put it in the exhaust port. I Recalibrate it before the cook. The cheap dial one works well enough. With the KBQ thermo stat, you really don't need one, other than the one for the meat. And I don't even use that any more.

Comment

Yeah. I was asking about a thermometer to monitor internal temp of the meat while cooking so I wouldn't have to keep opening the lid to use an instant read. With the smoky mountain it pretty much ran where it would so iwasent so concerned about that temp as I am about the meat temp

Comment

My unit does pot and meat temp. I like it as I am less likely to open the door to check the meat. Particularly the first year or so while I learn the pit.

Comment

I bought a bunch of covers and have found one that works really well. It's heavy duty and fits like a glove. Here's how I use it:
              1. Set aside the Firebox coal grate
              2. Put the wire shelves in the top 4 slots
              3. Put the Firebox in the bottom of the Cookbox
              4. Place the coal grate, inverted, on top of the Cookbox. This provides a high point to shed rainwater, without creating a stress point in the cover
              5. Install cover
              Amazon.com: Sportsman GENCOVER-L Universal Weatherproof Generator Cover, Large: Patio, Lawn & Garden

Comment

• Gulo-Griller
                Gulo-Griller commented
                Editing a comment
                I just bought this cover, thanks for the recommendation Bill.

- Vince

• SteinerBBQ
                SteinerBBQ commented
                Editing a comment
                Thanks! I just bought one as well.

Lift off

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20160529_121538.jpg
Views:	344
Size:	92.4 KB
ID:	362045
              Last edited by Ernest; August 13, 2017, 06:17 PM.

Comment

• Spinaker
                Spinaker commented
                Editing a comment
                Whoa baby, those are progressing very nicely!!

Ernest - nice! I just started dry brining my babybacks for tomorrow. Going to also grill up some metts and burgers, but I am going to sous vide the burgers first. Last batch was fantastic.

What's on the top rack?

Comment

badf00d I got some beef short ribs at the top. I don't plan on doing anything tomorrow. I want to rest

Comment

• Mpryan
                  Mpryan commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Ernest. How long are your beef short ribs taking? What temp?

• Ernest
                  Ernest commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Mpryan about 4 hours at 220 - 234. KBQ seems to cook everything a little faster.

• Mpryan
                  Mpryan commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Thanks Ernest

For the cover I use, I set the firebox on top to create the high point. Everything else goes inside, except the electronic components. Cover is only 25 dollars.

Comment

How many people going full dirty smoke on their ribs tomorrow.

Comment

• badf00d
                    badf00d commented
                    Editing a comment
                    I haven't used full dirty on anything yet. Got loads of smoke flavor both times on ribs, and half of the rib meat was smoke ring.

• Ernest
                    Ernest commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Never had the need to go full dirty smoke all the way.
                    Sometimes I use it for the first half hour, if I remember to open it. The days that I didn't use it, I didn't miss it.

Comment

Ernest, what kinda time are we talking about for baby backs and pig say a 7 lb pork but?

Comment

SoCalTim baby backs should take no more than 3 and half hours. I'd start checking at 3 hours. Butt give or take 8 hours.

Comment

Thanks. I'm looking to buy one of these.

Comment

• Ernest
                          Ernest commented
                          Editing a comment
                          Best money I've ever spent, zero regrets. I'm actually contemplating on getting a second one.

Announcement

Collapse
                      No announcement yet.
                      Working...
                      X
                      false
                      ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                      false
                      false
                      {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                      Yes
                      ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                      /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here