Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

KBQ ~ has landed

Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Home Depot currently has a discount on the WORX WG307 JawSaw (similar to B&D Alligator), so I decided to try one of those. Should arrive late next week. I don't have anything to compare it to, but I'll post feedback on it once I have a chance to try it out.

Comment

• Ericm
      Ericm commented
      Editing a comment
      Thanks badf00d for the heads-up! Looks like a good deal. I ordered one!

• badf00d
      badf00d commented
      Editing a comment
      Ericm, glad I could help - I received mine today. Only had a chance to retension the chain and add oil. Quiet unit, and seems well built. Hoping to have a chance to cut with it this weekend.

Congrats badf00d!

Comment

• Koy Schoppe
      Koy Schoppe commented
      Editing a comment
      Welcome to the KBQ Klub badf00d. You may have to change your name after the KBQ arrives!

• badf00d
      badf00d commented
      Editing a comment
      Thanks! I'm excited.

Getting together some other items in advance of my KBQ. Curious if you think a standard full-sized steam pan would fit properly in the bottom of the KBQ to catch grease, or if you would think it could cause airflow issues. I was thinking of one like this Browne steam pan.

It's 20.75" x 12.75", which seems like it would be close.

Comment

I use the "Daily Chef" brand full size disposable aluminum steam pans from Sam's Club. The dimensions given are: 20.75"X 12.81"X 3.18" and they fit fine. I only use them in the very bottom of the KBQ to catch drippings. You get (15) pans for $ 9.88 the last time I bought some. I haven't noticed any problems with air flow. You can also line them with foil to keep them clean if you so desire.

Comment

• badf00d
        badf00d commented
        Editing a comment
        Thanks oldsteve, I'll have to look for those. I also re-read Max's review and noticed this quote: "the 12" x 20" shelves are sized to hold commercial steam pans". Perfect.

If I got everyone here to cross their fingers at the same time, would that make my FedEx tracking number materialize (instead of waiting 3-4 weeks)?

Comment

• Huskee
        Huskee commented
        Editing a comment
        That's the worst thing a first world citizen can experience, delivery wait time.

First brisket cook on the KBQ up and running this morning. Got a ten pound prime from Costco. Salted last night and BBBR'd this morning. Got some extra help keeping an eye on it!

Comment

I need to rant.
        So I was in Fort Worth with the family and decided to try Chef Tim Love's The Woodshed smokehouse! Place was packed, we waited 35 minutes for a table.
        Then the food came. My goodness!! That was horrible!!! Dry beef ribs, dry STL ribs, way too much rosemary. I mean this is exactly why I stay away from restaurants. Wasted my money.
        My level of pissitivity is quite high right now.

KBQ please Call Tim Love about getting a KBQ.

Comment

• Huskee
          Huskee commented
          Editing a comment
          Lol. The sad thing is the other sixty people that ate there that night probably thought it was so great.

• Ernest
          Ernest commented
          Editing a comment
          Make that 80 people, it was packed!! Apparently it's always packed. They must be coming for the ambience. It is a very nice set up. Park Bench seats in a yard, live band, great bar.

I'm still pissed off....a day after.

• badf00d
          badf00d commented
          Editing a comment
          Times like these I find it hard not to show disappointment so everyone has a good time. Feels wrong to waste the money, although my Q skills aren't there yet. Just shows your skill level to make such high quality food Ernest. As for ambience, I'm not musician, but I can whip up a mean playlist...

I bought an open-box Thermapen Mk4, but still need a probe unit to leave in the cookbox and meat. I've read reviews of units, but specifically for the KBQ which would be a good choice? I'd rather buy a really good one that's a good fit for the KBQ, preferably without drilling (but not a requirement). ThermaQ, a Maverick model, or something else entirely?

Comment

• Koy Schoppe
          Koy Schoppe commented
          Editing a comment
          I use the igrill2. I was able to very minimally bend the probe so that it can be threaded through the hole. It fits inside the hole as is, but the bend in it made it hard to get fully through it. Now it works like a charm, and I can barely tell which on of the three probes is bent. But, as Ernest mentions below, I don't always use it. So easy to open door and check meat, close door, and you are back up to cooking temp almost instantly.

badf00d I use a maverick for cooker temp and instant read thermometer for food. Haven't really needed a leave in thermometer on the KBQ

Comment

Ok, just got a FedEx notification for a couple of boxes shipping from Southlake, TX. Wonder what that could be?

Comment

Originally posted by badf00d View Post
            ok, just got a fedex notification for a couple of boxes shipping from southlake, tx. Wonder what that could be?
            lets gooooo!!!!!!!!! Welcome to the Brotherhood!!

Comment

• badf00d
              badf00d commented
              Editing a comment
              Thanks! Can't wait...

Originally posted by badf00d View Post
            Ok, just got a FedEx notification for a couple of boxes shipping from Southlake, TX. Wonder what that could be?
            That can only be one thing indeed!!!
            You got your wood and ribs already? Power cord?

Comment

• badf00d
              badf00d commented
              Editing a comment
              FedEx has it already but they don't have an estimated delivery date yet. I would expect it will be sometime next week, so I'll get some apple wood from my dad this weekend.

I have a power cord, but no ribs yet. Would ribs be a good first cook? Don't want to find out how green I am on a big brisket.

UPDATE: FedEx is now showing delivery tomorrow (Saturday). That makes today Christmas Eve.
              Last edited by badf00d; April 1, 2016, 07:55 AM.

@My very first KBQ cook was beef and pork ribs. It's a long enough cook to get the real feel of a stickburner

Comment

• badf00d
              badf00d commented
              Editing a comment
              Thanks. I updated my comment above to indicate FedEx now shows delivery tomorrow. I'll pick up some ribs after work today.

Fired up the big Boy today...

Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_20160403_102243.jpg Views:	1 Size:	2.16 MB ID:	362027
            Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_20160403_133226.jpg Views:	1 Size:	3.81 MB ID:	362029

Country style ribs

Beans too

Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_20160403_132150.jpg Views:	1 Size:	1.95 MB ID:	362026
            Attached Files
            Last edited by Ernest; August 13, 2017, 06:02 PM.

Comment

I am doing some Beef ribs today. I just wrapped them up and put them on the oven rack for a 2 hour rest. I also did some baked beans. I cooked the beans in the KBQ for two hours, then finished them on the the fire box. ( Ernest Kinda stuff) In the beans, I put some chopped pork belly and brown sugar. I have the beans resting now with the ribs. I will post more pictures when I unwrap the ribs. KBQ and Oak wood for the cook.
              Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0069.JPG
Views:	417
Size:	101.6 KB
ID:	153784 Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0074.JPG
Views:	444
Size:	105.6 KB
ID:	153785 Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0060.JPG
Views:	408
Size:	211.3 KB
ID:	153786 Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0067.JPG
Views:	437
Size:	123.6 KB
ID:	153787

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
              No announcement yet.
              Working...
              X
              false
              ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
              false
              false
              {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
              Yes
              ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
              /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here