Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

KBQ ~ has landed

Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I was looking back over the beginning of this thread where Ernest was trying top poppet use for the first time, and Spinaker was drooling over his KBQ. He showed it with the lid off. Ding! Light Bulb On! All the top port use that I have tried was with the lid on. With the lid on the wood burning at the top of the fire box gets choked creating lots of icky tasting smoke. I have never tried it with the lid off, when the wood is burning clean. I now have something new to try. And with my recent COS fire management experience I know it will be a positive addition to my smoke profile. I think KBQ should put that in the manual. "When using the top poppet, for more smoke flavor, leave the fire box lid off, to keep the fire burning cleanly." It may seem second nature for some but I did not connect the dots until just now.

Comment

• Histrix
      Histrix commented
      Editing a comment
      I'm in the never use the lid camp. I did try to use it a couple of times when I first got my KBQ a couple years ago but it was just too problematic.

• lostclusters
      lostclusters commented
      Editing a comment
      I can see why using it has an advantage. Besides BBQ_Bill's observation of providing better bark, it also stops the wood from burning up too fast by choking the burning wood at the top of the fire box.

Originally posted by Spinaker View Post
    Ernest , I'd say that I am averaging at about 265 F, I am about an hour and a half in. She's at 135 f internal. Running well. I am running over smoke right now, per the directions that Bill gave me. Man this thing is fun!!!

I know it's been three years since you wrote this but can you remember what the instructions bill gave you?

Comment

• Spinaker
      Spinaker commented
      Editing a comment
      I am not sure. 😬 but I think I was running over smoke at the start of the cook, just to build heavy smoke when the brisket needs it the most. The I ran clean smoke as time progressed.

Good morning gents.
    After all this time, I am STILL experimenting with the poppets and the lid.

And... still learning.

I agree with lostclusters that the wood lasts longer with the lid on.
    With it off, the fire burns clean, hot, and and the wood goes faster too.

In my experience, the lid chokes the fire, slowing it down and produces more smoke and a heavier smoke. I like this because I want more smoke on my product.

With the KBQ super smart design, if I keep a good coal bed, choke the fire with the lid, and use the bottom poppet only, most all of that dirty top of the fire smoke gets drawn down and purified by the inverted flame and the hot bed of coals.

This more dense, but purified smoke circulates inside the cooking chamber attaching to my briskets.
    So for me, this method puts more quality smoke on my briskets, and thus, I get better bark.
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I started this latest brisket cook off as usual by searing three packers on my Searing Station which gave them great color and that nice flavor boost to get them rolling nicely along that desirable "umami path" all of us carnivorous cooks love so dearly.

Click image for larger version  Name:	20181102_113805.jpg Views:	1 Size:	2.59 MB ID:	587531

Here above is a shot of the beginning of this weekends brisket cook.
    Below, is a shot showing the KBQ firebox in full fiery action.

Click image for larger version  Name:	20181102_173707.jpg Views:	1 Size:	1.13 MB ID:	587530

So with this latest experiment, I smoked three packers in one KBQ but for this particular smoke, I went with NO lid as seen above simply for a trial.
    -
    My fire burned hot and fast and in an attempt to get great bark, I used the top poppet for the majority of this cook hoping that the over-fire smoke would make that delicious bark we love happen this time.

Click image for larger version  Name:	2018-11-03_15-21-03.jpg Views:	1 Size:	117.2 KB ID:	587532

Sadly, at the end of 8-1/2 hours in the smoke, my three briskets did not have that really dark bark my customers and I like.

Click image for larger version  Name:	20181102_221454.jpg Views:	1 Size:	2.18 MB ID:	587533Click image for larger version  Name:	20181102_222302.jpg Views:	1 Size:	2.10 MB ID:	587534Click image for larger version  Name:	20181102_222934.jpg Views:	1 Size:	2.19 MB ID:	587535
    At near the end of the smoke, they were a deep mahogany color but not super dark, so I put the lid on for the final hour of smoke but it seemed like it was too little, too late.

Oddly, I had some great compliments on the bark flavor, so the over-the-fire smoke did seem to add some fine smoky flavor qualities.
    I also went with a touch of char this time as seen in the sear, so too many changes to know what actually made this a very successful cook.
    -
    Sold out in 25 minutes.
    Last edited by BBQ_Bill; November 3, 2018, 05:51 PM. Reason: Add photos (you know the drill... no photos, it didn't happen)

Comment

• lostclusters
      lostclusters commented
      Editing a comment
      Do you employ the "jiggle" test to test for doneness?

• BBQ_Bill
      BBQ_Bill commented
      Editing a comment
      Not really lostclusters
      My brisket doneness check is accomplished by 1) Check if floppy. I pick it up and flop it. 2) If floppy, I open the wrap and probe the flat next to where the point connects on the fat cap side. Looking for the center of the flat to probe almost the same as the edges. Go by comparison. Practice feeling the difference. When almost there, rest at room temp.
      Last edited by BBQ_Bill; November 12, 2018, 12:15 AM.

• BBQ_Bill
      BBQ_Bill commented
      Editing a comment
      I jiggle after holding for several hours to see where to cut it in half. In post 1432 below, the cut you see is the very first one where I cut the packer in half. You can see a bit of point there on the top. That area in the center is the sweet spot and the last part of the flat to become soft. When it is so very close to being as soft as the rest of the flat, pull from the heat, rest to 150°F.

I've been M.I.A. got a duck going on in the KBQ . Click image for larger version

Name:	duck.JPG
Views:	472
Size:	180.3 KB
ID:	587527

Comment

• EdF
      EdF commented
      Editing a comment
      Details, Masta'.

• hogdog6
      hogdog6 commented
      Editing a comment
      Glad to see you back "Great One"

• lostclusters
      lostclusters commented
      Editing a comment
      It has been too long! Welcome back!

Nothing special, salt and peppered last night. Oak and cherry wood, max out the KBQ temp...

Click image for larger version

Name:	Duck 2.JPG
Views:	498
Size:	112.3 KB
ID:	587558

Comment

• lostclusters
      lostclusters commented
      Editing a comment
      Do you still use only the bottom poppet and does you top poppet seal completely shut?

• Ernest
      Ernest commented
      Editing a comment
      Bottom poppet only. Top poppet doesn't seal completely. I doubt that it's meant to seal. I just check it periodically while I reload the fire box. What I do is rearrange the burning coals so I maintain a "flat hotbed" lostclusters

Shorties.... Click image for larger version

Name:	Shorties.JPG
Views:	457
Size:	165.5 KB
ID:	587560

Comment

• smokinfatties
      smokinfatties commented
      Editing a comment
      perfect as usual!

• BBQ_Bill
      BBQ_Bill commented
      Editing a comment
      I buy mine at Costco. They rival the very best brisket I have ever made. Seared, spritzed, heavily rubbed, and then KBQ smoked, the flavor of the bark and meat is "unearthly"!

• JGrana
      JGrana commented
      Editing a comment
      You are the shortie King ;-)

I've backed way off but now that it is getting cooler, I ran four Costco Prime packers on Friday.
    Total purchase weight of this beef was 76.04 pounds.
    Largest one of the four was 23.09 pounds and the smallest one was 14.6 pounds (pre-trimming)
    Trimmed 19.35 total pounds of fat off of them, so I threw away $57.08 worth of fat.
    -
    Seared, spritzed, rubbed, smoked, paper wrapped, moist oven finished, rested, moist held.
    -
    Seared with propane weed burner with a very light char as seen in the top photo.
    Spritzed with a fine mist of chilled 60% Apple Cider Vinegar, 30% Water, 5% Soy and 5% Worcestershire mix.
    Rubbed with 50/50 1/16" Medley pepper/Kosher Salt and then sprinkled on Garlic Flakes.
    (Did not dry brine these)
    For this cook... went with top poppet "locked" at 3/16" open, bottom poppet full open, lid on for the entire smoke.
    Dual water pans (I call it my water shelf)
    Smoked for 8-1/2 hours using Mesquite with two packers per KBQ for lots of room for air/smoke flow.
    (Four packers in one machine is simply too crowded and problematic for me)
    Pulled from the smokers, spritzed heavily, double paper wrapped with peach butcher paper.
    Finished in moist oven until floppy and probing correctly.
    Rested at 110°F until internal dropped to 150°F.
    Placed in hold at 148°F until pulled to transport.
    -
    Sold three plus a bit more at $15/pound and we get to eat almost one whole one.

Click image for larger version  Name:	Seared.jpg Views:	1 Size:	2.17 MB ID:	591743
    Seared, awaiting rub and smoke.

Click image for larger version  Name:	9-10 Nov 2018.jpg Views:	1 Size:	1.48 MB ID:	591742
    Flat, being sliced for serving.
    Last edited by BBQ_Bill; November 12, 2018, 12:02 AM.

Comment

lostclusters
      Please go HERE to the post tied to this link to read more about brisket doneness.
      Found in #4 there.

Comment

• hogdog6
        hogdog6 commented
        Editing a comment
        Looks great but the pic doesn't show the bark? I know that meteorite bark is your holy grail. Weather you got your desired bark or not I'm sure they were fantastic.

• BBQ_Bill
        BBQ_Bill commented
        Editing a comment
        hogdog6 thank you SO MUCH for your post as it brings up a VERY important subject that I need to add to the KBQ Brisket Help post... BARK! Woo Hoo!

Ok, I have spent more money on more frivolous things... people outside of our world probably wouldn't get it, but man this is tempting (be sure to read the Q&A with the guy who smoked one). You can only imagine what this would be like on the KBQ. https://www.crowdcow.com/products/wa...et-flat

(EDITED: Looks like the link goes to a page saying it is unavailable for some reason. Right now I can go up to Shop in the menu, and find it for a cool $750. That is not a typo. Yes, just $750 for just the flat.)
      Last edited by ArtSob; November 14, 2018, 10:25 PM.

Comment

• Spinaker
        Spinaker commented
        Editing a comment
        I can only imagine what it would be like on a KBQ. Hmmmmmmmmm

• BBQ_Bill
        BBQ_Bill commented
        Editing a comment
        Agreed.

• HawkerXP
        HawkerXP commented
        Editing a comment
        On sale for $699.00!!!

The KBQ is blowing my mind! It’s regularly popped up on the forums since I joined, but I’ve always dismissed it as some gimmick or a pellet smoker. Just finished this *entire* 96 page thread.

I’ve been running an offset stick burner for several years, and am a firm believer that the best barbecue comes from properly burning wood - the only way to achieve the clear or thin blue smoke. I don’t limit intake or exhaust to adjust temp - I only manage my temp by how much fuel I add.

Fire management is something I’ve become fairly good at. Being able to keep consistent temps and keep the smoke clear has family and friends banging down my door for barbecue.

The one issue with my offset is how much work it is to keep the temps stable. Not just feeding it, but choosing the right piece of wood at the right time and making adjustments if temps start fluctuating. This becomes an issue when I’m doing a 12+ hour cook through the night and trying to catnap between feedings.

Then I dug into this KBQ thread. It has everything I could want in a stick burner, with none of the headache (other than feeding the fire). It’s the Holy Grail of smokers!

Totally GAS’ing for a KBQ!!! Not sure I’m on Santa’s "nice" list, but here’s to hoping! 🍻?🍻

Comment

• hogdog6
        hogdog6 commented
        Editing a comment
        This thread is what made me pull the trigger. What I couldn't get out of my head was how sexy the color was on all the cooks (yes I said "sexy" . To get on the nice list may I suggest, copy and paste those tantalizing pictures on your letter to Santa, and tell him instead of cookies and milk next year... (a fat man will definitely understand). 🔥

• lostclusters
        lostclusters commented
        Editing a comment
        As a budding fellow offset smoker guy and KBQ owner let call a couple things to your attention:

The default KBQ taste (smoke profile) is much lighter than what you may be used to. It is adjustable to get closer to what you may be used too from an offset.

Also, you will use a lot more wood for a similar cook on an offset.

It is easier (a chimpanzee could do it) to run compared to an offset.

• EdF
        EdF commented
        Editing a comment
        Eek-Eek! Ah- Ah! ...

lostclusters, we chimps agree! ;-)

Santamarina

It is not perfect, but there are enough KBQ owners here to help you through your cooks and then some.
      I bought my 1st KBQ a bit over two years ago.
      Then, bought a second, and then a third, and now gonna get a 4th for Christmas.
      Yes, it is THAT good.
      -
      Light clean smoke is so easy it is like falling off a log.
      Mesquite, Hickory, NO problem at all.
      -
      You will get CLEAN flavors without the hassle, PLUS steady temperatures.
      These babies do eat wood, but then I don't care because I have plenty and it is cheap.

Comment

• KBQ
        KBQ commented
        Editing a comment
        We spend many hours deburring by hand, but it is a Sisyphean task. Wish I had the space and electrical power to run an edge-rounding machine ...

• BBQ_Bill
        BBQ_Bill commented
        Editing a comment
        SWEET! You are moving towards perfection with these incredible machines!

• lostclusters
        lostclusters commented
        Editing a comment
        Fourth!!! Omfg!!!!!!

Name:	CADE7998-5B00-4930-B40F-D67B5C8AB899.jpeg
Views:	486
Size:	152.0 KB
ID:	608611Click image for larger version

Name:	C0E204BA-7398-451F-89FC-B336EBEED0C1.jpeg
Views:	487
Size:	82.8 KB
ID:	608610
      Great day for some KBQ ribs.

Comment

• Spinaker
        Spinaker commented
        Editing a comment
        I always love your KBQ pictures. They are always a so picturesque. Even when your not trying.

• hogdog6
        hogdog6 commented
        Editing a comment
        Thanks! It was a beautiful day.

Working to make 2019 the year *MY* KBQ lands!!!

Comment

• Spinaker
        Spinaker commented
        Editing a comment
        Oh Yeah! Join the legion of smoke!

• hogdog6
        hogdog6 commented
        Editing a comment
        Santamarina looking forward to you showing us your new KBQ soon.

I was in charge of cooking the 18 lbs prime rib for the in-law’s Christmas party. The KBQ did not disappoint!

Name:	162949F5-BAF3-4D31-8773-32BBD8F58224.jpeg
Views:	487
Size:	165.0 KB
ID:	611789
      Attached Files

Comment

• hogdog6
        hogdog6 commented
        Editing a comment
        Sweet

• cabbot1
        cabbot1 commented
        Editing a comment
        I have a prime rib I was gonna put in the joetiserrie but I am now leaning towards the kbq after seeing that picture

• EdF
        EdF commented
        Editing a comment
        cabbot1 - I imagine the KBQ convection would work in our favor for prime rib.

Thank you EdF for the quick reply, I have two prime ribs I need to smoke,

Comment

• EdF
        EdF commented
        Editing a comment
        Go get 'em, Boss! Be sure to report back.

• EdF
        EdF commented
        Editing a comment
        I don't know whether you have any kind of grate to put on top of the firebox, but if I were doing rib roast, I'd cook low and slow (~250F) to 125IT or so, then put them on the firebox (one at a time) to sear. Assuming medium rare is the target. That would be a very quick sear per side.

Otherwise, same temp to take them out, and stick them in a 500 degree oven for 15 minutes or so.

Announcement

Collapse
    No announcement yet.
    Working...
    X
    false
    ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
    false
    false
    {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
    Yes
    ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
    /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here