Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

KBQ ~ has landed

Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Smoke Dawg these were on about 3.5 hrs

Comment

I got an amazing pic of the fire box after it burned down after the cook. Enjoy!
      Attached Files

Comment

• Jerod Broussard
        Jerod Broussard commented
        Editing a comment
        Yet another reason to not jump into a volcano. Toxic gases was the #1 reason.

• martybartram
        martybartram commented
        Editing a comment
        I think I may have a new background picture for the computer!

• Craigar
        Craigar commented
        Editing a comment
        Smores!

Spinaker It's a Feed the Flame shot! Very nice pic! I bet you had about 2 sec to snap this before your hands and face melted.

Comment

• Spinaker
        Spinaker commented
        Editing a comment
        Very true!! I couldn't get the "Feed the Flame" Thread to come up. On my phone. I had originally tried to send it there. Huskee

• Spinaker
        Spinaker commented
        Editing a comment
        I just tried the Feed the Flame thread from my computer and it would appear that its dead. i cant open it. The page just goes blank. It loads something but it just that AR background with no content.

I can smell that from here. Spinaker

Comment

So jealous of KBQ and PBC owners. And SNS kettle owners. Stupid condo insurance, small balcony, and stupid guy who blew up his wooden porch and spoiled it for the rest of us.

Comment

• Potkettleblack
          Potkettleblack commented
          Editing a comment
          If I could put a cover on the intake while not feeding the KBQ, it would be Chicago legal, I think. Condo insurance might be a problem.

Just got my KBQ. First cook, short ribs and spare ribs. As recommended by Earnest. Thanks guys!!

Comment

BlackBeltBarbecue How did it turn out?

Comment

BlackBeltBarbecue Yeah!! Lets see the results!!

Comment

Hey guys. Everything turned out pretty good. I didn't cut the ribs down "St. Louis style" which was a mistake because I really don't like the rib tips. The beef ribs I had a really hard time getting to 203. I finally took them off at midnight. They were really good but I think they could have used another hour or two. Smoked everything ~225. Not sure why the ribs took so long it seemed like they were stalled. I'm cooking more ribs today. I'll post some pictures when they're done. Sorry, it was so late I forgot to take "after" pictures last night. What's the best method for checking doneness on the spare ribs? I have read about the different tests, but with no experience it's tough to judge. This is my first smoker so I have a lot to learn.
              Attached Files
              Last edited by BlackBeltBarbecue; June 17, 2016, 08:36 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by BlackBeltBarbecue View Post
                Hey guys. Everything turned out pretty good. I didn't cut the ribs down "St. Louis style" which was a mistake because I really don't like the rib tips. The beef ribs I had a really hard time getting to 203. I finally took them off at midnight. They were really good but I think they could have used another hour or two. Smoked everything ~225. Not sure why the ribs took so long it seemed like they were stalled. I'm cooking more ribs today. I'll post some pictures when they're done. Sorry it was so late I forgot to take after pictures last night. What's the best method for checking fineness on the spare ribs? This is my first smoker so I have a lot to learn.
                Pull the rack out of the KBQ. Then use a pair of tongs to pick up the rack of ribs. If the surface cracks, they are probably about done. Also, if you have a very accurate instant read thermo, you can check for temp between the bones. Looks for 190 F or a bit more. The bones will give you inaccurate readings if you probe next to them. But if you go in the middle of the meat in-between, you will get a pretty good reading. Meathead wrote a sizable article regarding the bend test. Link Below my friend!!

Welcome to the KBQ brotherhood.

There are several techniques to tell when your ribs are ready: bend, twist, peek-a-boo, taste, toothpick, popup, and thermometer test. Since ribs come in so many different weights and thicknesses, knowing when they are done is an inexact science but here are some guidelines and techniques that will help make it easier.

Comment

BlackBeltBarbecue use a toothpick, it should slide in and out with zero effort.

Comment

• Spinaker
                    Spinaker commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Good call sir. I've never used that method. Touché

Awesome, thanks guys!

Comment

Ernest Spinaker Ribs turned out great tonight. The smoke flavor from this thing is amazing. No sauce needed. The beans were an old fire house recipe we we use at my work, but the KBQ took them to another level. I think I undercooked the ribs a bit, they didn't quite come off the bone cleanly everywhere. Still have a little work to do but I'm very impressed and so was everyone I cooked for. I cooked them at 225 measured from the hole in the control box. Is that where you guys take your temp? I kept them in for 5-6 hours should I raise the temp next time?
                    Last edited by BlackBeltBarbecue; June 19, 2016, 05:06 AM.

Comment

Yard Birds

Click image for larger version

Name:	Chikins.jpg
Views:	288
Size:	64.4 KB
ID:	362050

Name:	IMG_20160619_115737.jpg
Views:	284
Size:	103.9 KB
ID:	362051

Name:	Faux mashed potatoes.jpg
Views:	296
Size:	62.9 KB
ID:	362052
                      Last edited by Ernest; August 13, 2017, 06:23 PM.

Comment

• KARB2014
                        KARB2014 commented
                        Editing a comment
                        Ernest if you don't mind me asking, how long are you dry brining your birds now? Also what have you been using as a rub? Thank You.

Nice! and because there's a six character minimum: Nice!

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                      No announcement yet.
                      Working...
                      X
                      false
                      ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                      false
                      false
                      {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                      Yes
                      ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                      /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here