Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

KBQ ~ has landed

Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Does anyone have experience with cooking pork steaks on the KBQ? Pork steaks are simply pork butt sliced. I'm having them sliced to 3/4 to 1 inch each. They will weight 12-16 ounces each.

I'm cooking a few hundred on Sunday for a fundraiser. The current plan is to cook them at about 250 degrees for 2 hours, place in a pan that will be covered in foil and put in ovens for another hour or two at about 225 to further tenderize. Reduce temp and hold at 170 until an hour before event. I will transport to the event and then finish on sight with a charcoal grill and BBQ sauce carmelizing the sauce.

Any suggestions/improvements?

Comment

• Spinaker
      Spinaker commented
      Editing a comment
      Sorry man, I am out on this one, never done it before.

• DSiewert
      DSiewert commented
      Editing a comment
      So, how did this turn out? Did you change your overall plan? When served, did they hold together like a steak or were they falling apart like a pork butt ready for pulling?

dirtman I haven't done pork steaks but I've done plenty of country style ribs. Here's the good news, 2 hours might be plenty time to actually finish the entire cook. You might not need to cover them.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20160403_105937.jpg
Views:	398
Size:	126.6 KB
ID:	362039
    Last edited by Ernest; August 13, 2017, 06:08 PM.

Comment

• dirtman
      dirtman commented
      Editing a comment
      Thanks Ernest! You should consider a career in food photography!

Just wanted to add a slo-mo video I did while firing up the KBQ the other day. Hopefully it works.

Comment

Finally fired up the KBQ.

Name:	IMG_20160508_112658.jpg
Views:	377
Size:	91.8 KB
ID:	362042

Name:	mesquite chicken.jpg
Views:	347
Size:	125.6 KB
ID:	362043

Name:	MD.jpg
Views:	349
Size:	91.3 KB
ID:	362044

Last edited by Ernest; August 13, 2017, 06:14 PM.

Comment

First cook with the KBQ was a couple racks of ribs cooked at 225 (about 8 or 10 degrees variation with 225 being the max temp). Ribs came out more moist than I'm used to with a vertical smoker with a water pan. Very tender and flavor was wonderful, but additional time to render more fat would have been good.

Second cook was a bunch of chicken. Applied rub the night before. Cooked about 300. Put leg quarters in and cooked until they were almost done, and then put in several breast halves. I like the dark meat (excellent) but my wife prefers the breasts. The breasts rated so high on her scale, she did not even get the BBQ sauce...

I'm using a ThermoPop to monitor the temp at the convection fan. That thermometer was made for this smoker. Also got a 1.5 inch deep hotel pan to catch any drippings (which keeps things pretty clean).

I have to look for a protective box for the fan unit when it's not being used. Also have to see what I can find for a cover for the KBQ. Finally, I will grab some alligator clips to keep the popits in place.

Except for a few small, optional add-ins, this smoker is complete once you assemble it. And it is very easy to use. It's even easier than the vertical smoker with a BBQ Guru. The KBQ heats up quicker, recovers quicker, and would be hard-pressed to deposit any creosote on your food. Do have to admit that the vertical smoker is quite happy running a 12 hour cook without any intervention. I'm afraid the KBQ is not as convenient.

Comment

DSiewert congratulations! It has been rain, rain, and more rain here. My new KBQ is feeling neglected. Agree about the ThermoPop, and I also got a hotel pan. Let me know if you find a good container to store the control box. The fact that it doesn't have a cable will make it easier. What do you mean by popits?

As for a cover, I tried a couple and they didn't fit. Thought about trying to make one, instead I ended up spending more than I wanted to and ordered this one:

http://www.the-cover-store.com/squar...e/?color=Khaki

It fits with the firebox in place, and has a decent warranty. Not a bad fit. I can show a picture of it in use if you're interested.

Comment

• Ernest
            Ernest commented
            Editing a comment
            I thought he meant the alligator chopper

• badf00d
            badf00d commented
            Editing a comment
            Aha! That's genious, DSiewert.

• alecksjaycubs
            alecksjaycubs commented
            Editing a comment
            I'd love to see a pic of that cover in use. Been looking all over for something.

I keep my firebox in the house, on a shelf
          As for a cover, I bought a Weber gasser cover from Home Depot, I did post it here.
          DSiewert there's no such thing as a convenient 12 cook on a stickburner. But the KBQ is more convenient in that you won't have to fight for temp control, just feed it wood.
          Last edited by Ernest; May 10, 2016, 05:57 AM.

Comment

I really hate this thread, it makes me want one badly

Comment

• Dr ROK
              Dr ROK commented
              Editing a comment
              Ditto, especially the damn pics!

sfrancis353 resistance is futile

Comment

Originally posted by DSiewert View Post

I have to look for a protective box for the fan unit when it's not being used. Also have to see what I can find for a cover for the KBQ. Finally, I will grab some alligator clips to keep the popits in place.

I received my Karubecue a few weeks ago but life has gotten in the way and I have not yet been able to set it up and use it. I'm hoping that changes come next week.

I have been able tho to get some stuff for it.

I looked at about a gazillion different plastic storage containers for the control unit but finally settled on this: http://www.amazon.com/Stanley-STST19...ilpage_o04_s00

The control unit fits fine without the flimsy plastic tool tray in it (which went right into the recycle bin).

I plan to remove the fire chamber and store it elsewhere when not in use but did want a cover for the cooking chamber. This generator cover fits it perfectly: http://www.amazon.com/Sportsman-GENC...ilpage_o09_s00

Once I get my rig all set up I'll share pictures of it in a separate thread as I am planning a slightly different than stock configuration.

Comment

Hello all! Ordered my KBQ on 27 April, should take delivery anywhere from end of May til Jun 20th. This forum put me over the top after 4 years of researching and cold feet! Ernest needs to get a commission from Bill!

Can I get a list of top 5 must buy items from current KBQ owners? These are the items I'm considering so far; Hibachi top, grease catching tray, smoker cover, sous vide and vaccuum sealer.
                I have plenty of Thermapens, Thermoworks thermocouples and Mavericks for temp. Thanks in advance for your help!

Comment

• oldsteve
                  oldsteve commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Unless Bill is out of inventory you should be getting your KBQ a lot sooner than your estimate. You'll be amazed at how well packed the KBQ comes in its two boxes. You'll be making award winning stuff in no time!

• Huskee
                  Huskee commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Welcome to The Pit! We'd love to get an intro from you over in the Introduce Yourself channel when you get a minute. https://pitmaster.amazingribs.com/fo...troductions-aa

A chain saw (gas or electric), a splitting maul or wedge, a well filled ice chest...

Comment

Just had to throw a few KBQ pics on. The middle picture shows you what happens when you let someone else feed the KBQ for a bit. Almost lost my coal bed there!! Everything is running great. I am burning a mixture of Ash, Oak and Cherry. I am Vac sealing the brisket and sending it out to my brother in NYC. I'm borrowing a friends Vacmaster air sealer. Holy cow is that sucker powerful. (and heavy!!!) I bet it weighs close to 100 lbs. When you seal a bag, there is not a spec of air left in that bag. Anyway, I will freeze them after I seal them, then send them overnight in a cooler box to NYC. KBQ'd Briz at your door in less than 72 hrs. What could be better? I hope everyone is having a nice weekend. Ernest oldsteve @badf00d

Name:	IMG_0382.JPG
Views:	357
Size:	247.6 KB
ID:	168513 Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0384.JPG
Views:	355
Size:	187.4 KB
ID:	168512 Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0383.JPG
Views:	359
Size:	232.1 KB
ID:	168511 Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0385.JPG
Views:	355
Size:	166.6 KB
ID:	168510
                  Last edited by Spinaker; May 15, 2016, 07:30 PM.

Comment

• Huskee
                    Huskee commented
                    Editing a comment
                    How much do you charge? Serious. I'd take you up on that.

• Spinaker
                    Spinaker commented
                    Editing a comment
                    I guess I've never thought about it. I do it for family members quite a bit. Sometimes, I just charge them for the meat and shipping. Sometimes I just send it. Huskee

• badf00d
                    badf00d commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Thanks Spinaker, my first brisket turned out great. Gained some experience dealing with wind and the KBQ. Makes for a great weekend. Good looking cook, and that's so cool that you do that for family.

Gulo-Griller you don't need much, get a wood splitter and find a local wood supplier.
                  I'm using a Weber gasser cover for mine.
                  It's a perfect companion to sous vide because it can hold low temp like a champ.
                  I'm looking for a reason to get a second one.

Comment

• EdF
                    EdF commented
                    Editing a comment
                    I haven't gotten that far in this thread, but I'm very interested in your division of labor between SV and the KBQ. More specific stuff later.

First brisket on the KBQ.

Comment

• Spinaker
                    Spinaker commented
                    Editing a comment
                    There is that glorious KBQ color. I love that. Looks beautiful.

• Spinaker
                    Spinaker commented
                    Editing a comment
                    How did it go? What temps did you run at? Cook Time? What kind of wood did you burn? My bad, I like details man!

• badf00d
                    badf00d commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Spinaker - thanks, it was so good! You can read about it the thread I started: https://pitmaster.amazingribs.com/fo...et-bad-weather

Announcement

Collapse
                No announcement yet.
                Working...
                X
                false
                ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                false
                false
                {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                Yes
                ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here