Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

KBQ ~ has landed

Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

You're killing it Spinaker . I didn't find good beef ribs, I'm hoping to get some this week.

Comment

Wow, that looks amazing, guys. I had grilled cheese - that's as close to the word "grill" as I got this weekend. We now have a small stock of wood started, and my son had a blast with the JawSaw. I might be feeling sick Tuesday afternoon and have to work from home, in case FedEx shows up.

Comment

badf00d FedEx didn't deliver yesterday?!

Comment

• Ernest
          Ernest commented
          Editing a comment
          That's great! badf00d . Now go ahead and change your name LOL!

• badf00d
          badf00d commented
          Editing a comment
          Ha! There's a story behind the name, so it stays for now. I do want to try to make a bunch of what you've shown in your pictures, though.

• Ernest
          Ernest commented
          Editing a comment
          Go for it. Feel free to ask any questions you may have.

Originally posted by Ernest View Post
        I can honestly say that this is my best pork butt to date. Moist, tender, smokey. And active time was only 4 hours.
        That pulled pork looks great. I'm thinking about doing a sous vide + smoker pork butt soon (maybe tomorrow). What's your running favorite technique? (Time/temp/prep for sous vide, time/temp/prep for KBQ)

Comment

• badf00d
          badf00d commented
          Editing a comment
          How do you bag pork butt when you sous vide it? My vacuum chamber can't do bags big enough for the butt I got at Costco. I would think I have to cut it into 3 or 4 pieces but I'm afraid it might not turn out as good. Thoughts?

• Ernest
          Ernest commented
          Editing a comment
          badf00d I have expandable bags from foodsaver. I can fit a whole turkey in it.

• badf00d
          badf00d commented
          Editing a comment
          Ok, I have two 8lb butts dry brining. I have a wide vacuum sealer coming tomorrow. At that point I plan to start the sous vide process. 2 questions: 1) What do you do with the juice in the bags after sous vide? 2) Does 160 work well for pulling (others said they go to 190-200 IT)?

I smoked 4 corned beef briskets on the KBQ today. They turned out great. It was also my first opportunity to test the leg mod I did recently. The smoker was stable as a rock in 18+ mile an hour wind conditions. I also added a small mod: Clips for keeping the poppets from moving.
        Last edited by Ericm; April 9, 2016, 07:03 PM.

Comment

Birds hanging out in a cherry wood chamber......

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20160410_151313-picsay.jpg
Views:	385
Size:	85.4 KB
ID:	362033

Name:	IMG_20160410_155218-picsay.jpg
Views:	425
Size:	113.3 KB
ID:	362034

Some crispy duck fat potatoes

Name:	IMG_20160410_154551.jpg
Views:	430
Size:	84.0 KB
ID:	362035
          Last edited by Ernest; August 13, 2017, 06:06 PM.

Comment

• EdF
            EdF commented
            Editing a comment
            Tell us about how you did those potatoes!

• Ernest
            Ernest commented
            Editing a comment
            EdF very simple. I sliced Yukon gold potatoes and Boiled them until slightly tender in garlic and thyme water heavily seasoned with salt. Then slapped then on cast iron sheet with a bunch of duck fat into a 400 oven.

badf00d I did mine in 158 degrees hot tub time machine for 24 hours, chilled it for a weekend smoke. Saturday I set up the KBQ at 160 degrees and smoked the butt for about 4 hours. Never took it past 160.
          In my opinion, taking anything cooked sous vide past the sous vide cooking temp just negates the sous vide advantages.

Comment

• badf00d
            badf00d commented
            Editing a comment
            Thanks! During lunch today I was able to seal both shoulders and plopped them in the hot tub time machine at 158°F. Tomorrow mid-day I will chill them, and I'm going to try to smoke at least one of them tomorrow night.

Hoping it goes well... that's a lot of meat.

• EdF
            EdF commented
            Editing a comment
            Last time I did this, I smoked it for about three hours on a BGE at 225, then sous-vide at 176 for 18 hours. Then I torched it and shredded it. It was the best I'd made. But I kind of like Ernest's recommendation here.

badf00d the bag juices. You can reduce them in a sauce pan, strain and use as you would "Au Jus"

Comment

I had a great cook this weekend. One thing that I think kinda goes unmentioned in this other wise amazing thread, is the portability of the KBQ. I have taken it to several different locations to do on-site cooks for family and friends. Since the KBQ breaks down into three pieces, its easy to load in to a vehicle. Now, keep in mind that I have a pick up but, I would say it would fit into a large car truck as well.
            Anyway, this past weekend, I did a cook for a few dozen friends (30) for a past due baseball draft party. I made a CostCo pork shoulder. I rubbed it down with Head Country (greatest stuff ever on Pork shoulders) as well as a nice coating of dark brown sugar. The butt was on the brine for two days before the cook, covered, in the fridge. I also made a big brisket as well. 18 pounds. A bit larger than I like to buy but, I was at Costco late in the week and didn't have a whole lot to choose from. I trimmed and rubbed that down with Oakridge BBQ "black Ops" rub. The brisket then went into the meat fridge, uncovered, for a few days.
            I started the cook at 5:30 am. The shoulder took 8 1/2 hours and the brisket was done in about 10. Both went into the cooler for a good two hour rest. Everything went really well. The KBQ just rolls, especially when using oak and cherry logs. They coal up really nice. Everyone loved the food and were very thankful for my efforts. I keep telling people, "No, Thank you, for letting me cook for you." It really is a labor of love, especially with the KBQ on your side!!
            -Spinaker

_I always forget to take a pic of the shoulder before I pull it!!

Name:	IMG_0193.JPG
Views:	389
Size:	193.5 KB
ID:	158794 Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0192.JPG
Views:	415
Size:	188.1 KB
ID:	158793 Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0215.JPG
Views:	457
Size:	183.5 KB
ID:	158796
            Last edited by Spinaker; April 20, 2016, 09:45 AM.

Comment

Look at that!! I haven't had to move mine and that's probably why I never mentioned the portability.

Comment

Originally posted by Ernest View Post
                Look at that!! I haven't had to move mine and that's probably why I never mentioned the portability.
                Yeah, This cook went really well man. I was really happy with the color and flavor.

I don't thin that most people move their KBQs much. I just thought its another great selling point of the KBQ. Portable, amazing smoker that can pretty much go anywhere that you can drive too and have power.

Comment

Spinaker try doing that with a Lang!!! HAHAHAHAHA

Comment

Spinaker, that looks great! How do you set the KBQ for smoke to get that intense bark? Mine is much more mahogany.

Yesterday I smoked 2 Costco pork butts for 4 hours after 24 hrs of sous vide. To me they turned out slightly dry, but my wife thought it was good. Not sure what I did wrong, but I may try doing the whole process in the KBQ next time just to have a frame of reference.

Comment

• DSiewert
                      DSiewert commented
                      Editing a comment
                      What temp did you use with the sous vide?

• badf00d
                      badf00d commented
                      Editing a comment
                      158°F for 24 hrs, then KBQ with average temp of 160°F for 4 hours (measured from the port on the control box). I can't seem to fit probes through the corner holes...

badf00d
                    ​Here is my process when doing a Brisket on the KBQ.
                    1) I buy a PRIME brisket. I try to aim for about a 15 lb. whole packer. These tend to be more tender and I think they end up tasting better as well.
                    2) I usually let them age in the cryo-vac for about 30 days. But you don't have to do this step. I have a fridge that I use only for meat. So I can get away with this one.
                    3) Once the aging is done, I take the brisket to the kitchen for trimming and the rub application. I open the cryo-vac, drain the myoglobin and then rinse under cold water. Then I lay it on the cutting board and pat dry with paper towels. Then I proceed to trim most of the visible fat. I leave about a 1/4 inch of fat at the fat cap. I trim the deckle back, but not so far that I risk separating the packer itself. Many people separate the packer, But I don't. Its just the way I've always done it and it works for me. You can separate them if you want.
                    4) After trimming, I put on my rub. I use Oakridge BBQ's "BLACK OPS Brisket rub" The stuff is awesome. It's made with all natural ingredients and as it says on the label, "It Builds Serious Bark!" boy does it ever. I rub every inch with the rub. I am pretty liberal with it but you don't want the seasoning caking on the surface. Then I place the brisket on a large cookie cooling rack and let it rest (Brine) in the fridge, uncovered, for at least 24 hours before smoking.
                    5) About an hour and a half before smoking I put the brisket in the chest freezer to drop the temp as low as possible right before I throw it on the KBQ. I want the surface to be as cold as possible to get that nice smoke ring that all the guests always love to see. (Shhhhh.....To be honest, so do I.)
                    6) (I assume you know how to fire up the KBQ and what not) After the brine is finished and the KBQ is up to temp, I take it out of the freezer and put it in the top 1/3 of the KBQ for the whole cook. I don't rotate it or the shelves. I let the KBQ do its thing. As long as you feed her, she will do her part. I keep the door shut the whole time until about 4 hours in, just to check temps, then the door is kept shut. I run the dampers with the "dirty smoke" damper closed and just the "Clean" damper open. I never change this on long cooks.
                    7) I usually wrap my briskets after it hits 185 F. Now when I say that, What I mean is, the bark looks dark enough to me. And its time to speed this cook up. However, this does usually happen when the internal temp has hit 185 F at the coolest point.
                    8) Then I just wrap it up and put it back in the KBQ until 202 F.

Thats about it. I think letting it dry brine for at last 24 hours, uncovered really makes a difference. The surface is not as wet as if you would cover it with foil or plastic wrap. So there is less evaporative cooling that occurs, which as we all know, kick starts the bark formation and greatly reduces the stall. This is another reason why my briskets tend to run through the stall relatively quickly, unwrapped. ( I know the KBQ fan also helps too)
                    Thats is the best answer that I can give you man. I hope this helps. Let me know if there is anything else you wanna know. Smoke on Brother.
                    -Spinaker

Comment

• badf00d
                      badf00d commented
                      Editing a comment
                      Thanks Spinaker. I'll try that out. Time to order those rubs, too.

• smokinfatties
                      smokinfatties commented
                      Editing a comment
                      Spinaker +1 on the hippie lettuce, that stuff is the secret ingredient to good BBQ. I am seriously considering joining the KBQ club here soon!!!

• JCBBQ
                      JCBBQ commented
                      Editing a comment
                      Hippie Lettuce- lol

badf00d I'm new to the KBW as well. I had a similar problem with getting a Maverick style meat probe through the corners. I text Bill Karau on Saturday. He immediately called back. Unbelievable customer service! His suggestion was to use the backside of a drill bit to open corner or to simply drill. I tried wallowing out the hole but ended up drilling. If you drill you might want to file to eliminate rough edges. Problem solved.

Comment

• badf00d
                      badf00d commented
                      Editing a comment
                      Perfect. As a recommendation from Bill I'm sure it won't compromise anything on the unit. Sounds like a tweak I'll be doing this weekend, thanks!

• Spinaker
                      Spinaker commented
                      Editing a comment
                      I would just run the probe down the back damper and in to the cooking chamber. It fits fine. And the wires are out of the way. dirtman badf00d

• dirtman
                      dirtman commented
                      Editing a comment
                      Thanks Spinaker! I had already drilled open the corner a bit prior to your input. It isn't noticeable.

Announcement

Collapse
                  No announcement yet.
                  Working...
                  X
                  false
                  ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                  false
                  false
                  {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                  Yes
                  ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                  /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here