Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

KBQ ~ has landed

Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How was the capon? I keep meaning to try one, since I find it kind of hard to get fired up over turkey.

Comment

• Ernest
      Ernest commented
      Editing a comment
      Breadhead think of it as wagyu of chicken.

• Breadhead
      Breadhead commented
      Editing a comment
      Hmmm... Interesting. Thanks. I had never heard that term before. You learn something new daily on AR.😎

• Ernest
      Ernest commented
      Editing a comment
      The pigs have Berkshire, the cows have wagyu, the chickens have capon.

That PR is so pink it looks cured. Would love to taste that. I bet it's pretty awesome!

Comment

• Ernest
      Ernest commented
      Editing a comment
      It was fantastic. Even my 8 year old daughter went to town on it.

Won the championship in my fantasy football league.... half way to the KBQ!

Comment

• Ernest
      Ernest commented
      Editing a comment
      That's 2 KBQs and a trip to snake river site! I'd suggest you start your research?

• Breadhead
      Breadhead commented
      Editing a comment
      Ernest ...

I'll spend hours at selecting these picks. This prize is all or nothing.👍

• Spinaker
      Spinaker commented
      Editing a comment
      Thats awesome!! You won't be disappointed. And if you are, I will take yours before they send you to the Looney bin!! Guest

Went to a Shindig last night so I dropped a bag of beef and pork ribs in the hot tub time machine. Woke up today fired up the KBQ, set at 160 Degrees. Smoked for 2 hours

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20160101_130033.jpg
Views:	407
Size:	81.1 KB
ID:	360834

Name:	sv platter.jpg
Views:	411
Size:	110.5 KB
ID:	360835

Them are Teriyaki STL ribs.
    Last edited by Ernest; August 11, 2017, 02:42 PM.

Comment

• Ernest
      Ernest commented
      Editing a comment
      MBMorgan LOL!! Would you like an adult beverage with your delivery?

• MBMorgan
      MBMorgan commented
      Editing a comment
      Of course! Especially if I've got to wait 16 hours ... 😀

• Spinaker
      Spinaker commented
      Editing a comment
      Looking good as always. Ernest

I gotta tell ya, 145 sous vide ribs smoked at 160 degrees got me some of the best ribs. The texture was that of a buttery, well marbled ribeye steak. Now put that steak on a stick.

Comment

I was just thinking....after Ernest mentioned smoking at 160 F. Is it possible to smoke Cheese in the KBQ? Ive never done it before but I think it would be fun to try. Any thoughts from my fellow KBQers or anyone else?

Comment

Spinaker I don't see why not.

Comment

Originally posted by Ernest View Post
          Spinaker I don't see why not.
          But can you imagine the mess inside the cookbook if you screwed it up? I am having a slight problem with the cleaning of my KBQ in the winter months up here in the North Country. All of our outdoor water is shut off. So I have to take the cook box to a do it your self carwash to clean the inside for now. Ive only done it once so far. I can't clean that SOB inside. I just can't imagine the inside covered in melted cheese!!!. But I am going to do it anyway, it will be worth the risk.

Comment

Originally posted by Spinaker View Post

But can you imagine the mess inside the cookbook if you screwed it up? I am having a slight problem with the cleaning of my KBQ in the winter months up here in the North Country. All of our outdoor water is shut off. So I have to take the cook box to a do it your self carwash to clean the inside for now. Ive only done it once so far. I can't clean that SOB inside. I just can't imagine the inside covered in melted cheese!!!. But I am going to do it anyway, it will be worth the risk.
            No need to imagine! Problem on the left, solution on the right.

Comment

• richinlbrg
              richinlbrg commented
              Editing a comment
              Thank you, DWCowles !

• DSiewert
              DSiewert commented
              Editing a comment
              I've pondered cold smoking... The smoke tubes seem to be widely used, but then we are back to a smoldering fire generating less than optimal smoke. I wonder if a radiator could be mounted under the firebox and the temp control set to periodically pulse, pulling clean smoke into the chamber...

• Ernest
              Ernest commented
              Editing a comment
              There's no need for all that. Just turn the knob until the fan is engaged. You'll get enough smoke

I bet you could use an ice bath in the Cookbox, just turn the knob slightly to get it running.

Comment

Spinaker. I have a question for you. What is the brand of the hibachi that you're using it's grate for searing on the KBQ? I would like to be able to buy one just for the heavy grate. I've tried using GrillGrates and a couple of other grates I have from other cookers, but they move around too much. It looks like you've found the ideal solution.

Thanks!
              Last edited by oldsteve; January 5, 2016, 04:24 PM.

Comment

Smoking up a sous vide butt at 160 degrees.....

Name:	image_44403.jpg
Views:	404
Size:	78.4 KB
ID:	360836

Last edited by Ernest; August 11, 2017, 02:44 PM.

Comment

• fuzzydaddy
                fuzzydaddy commented
                Editing a comment
                Ernest thanks for the information and your insight! Much appreciated. I received a Christmas gift of cash, so I'm looking at a new tool and the Anova unit has just risen to the top of my list.

• Ernest
                Ernest commented
                Editing a comment
                Breadhead as long as you're open minded, Sous vide cooking can be a time saver. It can go hand in hand with BBQ and produce some unique good eats.
                My juiciest fried chicken was cooked sous first. And I didn't even need to bead it to get that crunch.
                My best ribs to date were cooked sous vide first (while I was out doing other things).

Most folks are surprised when cook times like 36 hours are mentioned. It's not like I'm sitting next to the hot tub for 36 hours. LOL, I'm carrying on with life while the tub cooks.

• Breadhead
                Breadhead commented
                Editing a comment
                Ernest ...

Low and slow cooking is my thing... Doing the prep work for a 16 hour BBQ cook is no big deal.

Baking bread is just like BBQ... Low and slow. Using very little yeast and letting the dough take a day or two to develop produces kick ass bread.

Sous vide fits my profile perfectly.👍

I can honestly say that this is my best pork butt to date. Moist, tender, smokey. And active time was only 4 hours.

Name:	IMG_20160109_173737.jpg
Views:	402
Size:	86.1 KB
ID:	360844

Name:	IMG_20160109_175902-picsay.jpg
Views:	414
Size:	59.4 KB
ID:	360845
              Last edited by Ernest; August 11, 2017, 02:50 PM.

Comment

• Breadhead
                Breadhead commented
                Editing a comment
                Ernest ...

That's a beautiful bun.👍

The top is a great shiny brown. Did you use just egg yoke as a your wash?

• Ernest
                Ernest commented
                Editing a comment
                Breadhead I use beat up Egg whites only for the prebake wash. Then immediately paint the top with butter when they come out of the oven.

• Breadhead
                Breadhead commented
                Editing a comment
                Ernest ... That's a beautiful finish. I'll have to try it sometime.

So I cooked a brisket this weekend on the KBQ. I was a bit nervous because this was my first below zero cook (-7 actually) with the KBQ. I cooked a whole packer (11 pounds after trimming) The whole thing was don't in 5 1/2 hours, unwrapped!! The only reason that I pulled it in time was the result of dumb luck, complete dumb luck. I had gone out to feed the fire, popped open the cook box and checked the temp on the brisket, 205 F. I couldn't believe it. I thought my Thermapen had crapped out on me. But the meat was probe tender, so I knew it was done. I am not sure what happened exactly.
              Here are my thoughts:
              Given the ambient temp being around -7 F, the fan was running a lot more than normal. So I was getting more air flow through the cook box. My thoughts are; The result was much faster evaporative cooling on the surface of the meat. This allowed me to plow right through the stall and on up too 205 F in no time. I wish I could do that every cook.

The results could not be understated. Moist and tender to no end. And the flavor was....well...if you haven't tasted anything out of the KBQ...it really can't be put into words. I use cherry and oak on this cook. That has kind of become my go too blend right now.

Name:	IMG_0071.JPG
Views:	400
Size:	246.3 KB
ID:	133483
              Last edited by Spinaker; January 11, 2016, 10:56 AM.

Comment

• Jerod Broussard
                Jerod Broussard commented
                Editing a comment
                What temp was the unit set at? It would seem the higher you can run the more use you would get out of the wood. 225 or 300, that pile of wood on top is still gonna burn.

• Spinaker
                Spinaker commented
                Editing a comment
                Jerod Broussard I had it set at about 240 Average. However, when the ambient temp is -5 F. The fans have to draw much more heat from the fire box to keep the cook box up too temp. AS the fans kick on, the fire is sucked down and causes the wood to burn much faster. It normally does this, but on a cold day like this, That fan has to kick on much more to keep the temp up. So you go through much more wood than you normally would on a say 50 F day. This is stuff you southerners don't have to worry about.

• Jerod Broussard
                Jerod Broussard commented
                Editing a comment
                Man that was a sweet speed cook.

Ernest, a question about your sous vide pork butt cook. Did you dry brine and rub before putting it in the bag? That's very appealing cutting down on the actual smoking time on the KBQ. That definitely saves time and money on the cooking wood. Water and electricity are a lot cheaper. It sounds like you're very happy with the end results.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
              No announcement yet.
              Working...
              X
              false
              ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
              false
              false
              {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
              Yes
              ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
              /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here