Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Show us what you're cooking - 3/13/2015 through 9/9/2015

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

My finished chuck roasts. 9 hours total. Served with my wife's mashed cauliflower. The chuckies fell apart when I was unwrapping.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0153.JPG
Views:	187
Size:	201.9 KB
ID:	71254

Name:	IMG_0159.jpg
Views:	194
Size:	166.8 KB
ID:	71255

Name:	IMG_0161.jpg
Views:	209
Size:	130.4 KB
ID:	71256

Comment

• Breadhead
      Breadhead commented
      Editing a comment
      Fuzzy... You deserve a Gold Star for that comment about only liking 2 kinds of food. That made me laugh!

• David Parrish
      David Parrish commented
      Editing a comment
      Nice cook FD! My wife makes cauliflower like that as well. I hate cauliflower, but whatever she does to it make it taste kinda sorta like garlicky mash taters. Kinda...

• JeffJ
      JeffJ commented
      Editing a comment
      Nicely done. Good bark and the meat looks succulent and juicy. Like these other guys, I too like cauliflower mash and forgot about it until I saw your pictures. Will have to make it next week.

Okay thanks! I will definitely give that a go! I love taters and onions cooked together. Add cheese and smoked sausage ewwww weeeee!

Comment

Comment

• The Burn
        The Burn commented
        Editing a comment
        Nice looking little feast there Jon

• David Parrish
        David Parrish commented
        Editing a comment
        Jon that's purdy. I'll be super impressed if you tell us that all got done at the same time

• fuzzydaddy
        fuzzydaddy commented
        Editing a comment
        So far I've been kinda one item at a time on the grill. That's impressive Jon! Guess it's time I move beyond just meat on the grill.

Happy Birthday to Albert Einstein!

Comment

• Ernest
        Ernest commented
        Editing a comment
        Pit-for-Brains Yessir! Wet brined for 30 minutes, hit it with buttermilk then dredged in a mixture of corn flour (not meal, flour) AP flour and Old Bay seasoning. Then fried in Lard.

• Ernest
        Ernest commented
        Editing a comment
        fuzzydaddy I try to eat fish at least twice a week for a break from meat

• PaulstheRibList
        PaulstheRibList commented
        Editing a comment
        Ernest, That looks like Louisiana cooking!

Saturday night has become wing night around here. Finally able to do them outside again tonight with the Vortex. A garlic hot sauce wet rub using Kingsford Competition and a chunk of applewood.

Name:	IMG_1425.jpg
Views:	183
Size:	309.0 KB
ID:	71334

Name:	IMG_1426.jpg
Views:	208
Size:	481.0 KB
ID:	71335

Comment

• JeffJ
        JeffJ commented
        Editing a comment
        Nice! Once one eats wings from the grill it's hard to go back to the breaded and fried wings.

• Pit-for-Brains
        Pit-for-Brains commented
        Editing a comment
        Too cool!

• The Burn
        The Burn commented
        Editing a comment
        Even when I deep fry my wings I don't bread them - just fried until crispy and then tossed in whatever sauce I'm doing. I still really like those, but you're right JeffJ the smoke adds that extra level of goodness

Name:	IMG_6056.jpg
Views:	105
Size:	326.9 KB
ID:	71357

Pork butt done two ways .. both heavy on the HRR. On the left slathered with mustard, on the right no mustard. With mustard won the taste test. Oh ya and I had to try some Black Swan Sweet Cognac Max Good it's pretty good stuff you got there!!

Comment

• Huskee
        Huskee commented
        Editing a comment
        Did you slather the mustard ahead of time or just prior to smoking? I found by others' suggestions that letting the mustard marinade the butts overnight makes a very good end product. CandySueQ I believe shared that one.

• cdd315
        cdd315 commented
        Editing a comment
        Yes Huskee. The PB was salted 4 days in advance and the night before I cut it in two similar 2.5 lb pieces, oiled both and applied HRR heavily (unsalted version). I chose the smaller and put quite a lot of yellow mustard on it. Odd though, after cooking and eating it last night I couldn't taste any of the mustard but today there is a hint of it. The one without mustard is a bit sweeter.

I'm torn between the two .. both are very good but I think the mustard one has an edge!
        Last edited by cdd315; March 15, 2015, 01:06 PM. Reason: spelling

• Huskee
        Huskee commented
        Editing a comment
        cdd315 I think I agree with you. Based on HC in SC 's test here http://pitmaster.amazingribs.com/for...tts-pbc-vs-ecb I decided to do my own test the same way, which is here: http://pitmaster.amazingribs.com/for...butts-two-ribs

It was an interesting idea so I had to try it. The mustard marinade one (I went 2 full days) was noticeably more moist & tender. Was it in fact the mustard or just coincidentally the butt itself making it look that way? Since we've all had these results now I'm betting the mustard slather marinade one-ups the traditional way.

Well, the good news is that the Brisket was really good!

Here she is about 8 hours in

Name:	IMG_1089.JPG
Views:	174
Size:	280.2 KB
ID:	71373

I cooked here on my new 22" pipe offest (like a Yoder Whiticha). The not as good news is that I had to leave 3 times, for 90+ minutes each, arriving back with the temp down to 175 or 150 on 2 of them. I'm thinking the Up and Down temp didn't help with tenderness. Cooked Fat Cap Up, Water Pan, Pecan wood and shooting for 225-250 degrees. Salt and Pepper Only this time. I turned it around (put the flat toward the firebox) about 3 hours before I wrapped).

I cooked it for 11.5 hours, then crutched it for 1 hour, pulling when the temp in the flat was 201-207, in different parts, and the flat was tender to the Thermopen probe. Let it rest for 3 hours in the warming drawer at 140 before I cut and shared with a few friends.

Name:	IMG_1091.JPG
Views:	182
Size:	122.1 KB
ID:	71369
      The bark was nice and dark, just the way I like it.

Name:	IMG_1092.JPG
Views:	190
Size:	118.3 KB
ID:	71368
      First slices on the flat were really pretty!

Name:	IMG_1102.JPG
Views:	185
Size:	163.2 KB
ID:	71372
      But for me, the Point is where the action is! This point was nice! Some of the parts where I didn't leave a little fat were like jerky. Where I left that thin piece of fat, it was really nice!

Name:	IMG_1107.JPG
Views:	190
Size:	140.2 KB
ID:	71370

I'm having fun with Brisket Practice.

Just put a 12 pound butt on for Pulled Pork for my daughter's friends at Noon.

And I have 2 more Choice Brisket's in the cooler, aging until next weekend, when practice will resume!
      Attached Files

Comment

• JeffJ
        JeffJ commented
        Editing a comment
        That's exactly how brisket is supposed to look - good bark, smoke ring, tender and juicy. Nicely done, Paul.

• PaulstheRibList
        Editing a comment
        Thanks, Jon Solberg, cdd315 and JeffJ

• Spinaker
        Spinaker commented
        Editing a comment
        great cook, briz looks amazing

Later today I will be firing the Lang up for 20 bone-in chicken thighs and some sweet potatoes.

Comment

Saturday Night Duck

Comment

• Pit-for-Brains
          Pit-for-Brains commented
          Editing a comment
          Never had duck! But I can imagine smokin it is the best way!

• troymeister
          troymeister commented
          Editing a comment
          To me the best thing about cooking duck is procuring the duck fat and making duck stock. Using homemade duck stock instead of store bought chicken broth makes even the simplest of dishes turn out OMG good. Duck fat is the most incredible animal fat to cook with. Especially potatoes.

• Ernest
          Ernest commented
          Editing a comment
          troymeister OH YEAH! I got about 10 lbs of duck fat (I'm running low)

Friday night and Saturday were busy times spent smoking and preparing for poker night at my house. Pulled pork and brisket were on the menu. Also, my wife was taking the kids over to a neighborhood get together last night and I committed to cooking pulled pork for them.

Made fresh rubs for the occasion. Big Bad Beef Rub:

Name:	IMG_6783.JPG
Views:	181
Size:	170.6 KB
ID:	71485

Memphis Dust:

Name:	IMG_6784.JPG
Views:	175
Size:	167.8 KB
ID:	71482

Meat is rubbed:

Name:	IMG_6802.JPG
Views:	168
Size:	208.3 KB
ID:	71484

Meat on Heat at 10:30 PM Friday night:

Name:	IMG_6805.JPG
Views:	188
Size:	154.6 KB
ID:	71483

Progress as of Saturday morning:

Name:	IMG_6812.JPG
Views:	170
Size:	200.3 KB
ID:	71487

Brisket just before the crutch. The temps were all over the place. 140s in parts of the flat all the way to 180s in the point. I thought about separating them but got lazy.

Name:	IMG_6816.JPG
Views:	180
Size:	188.2 KB
ID:	71488

I took the brisket out of the Mak around 3 PM and let it rest in the Faux Cambro. I then let placed a pan of baked beans under the pulled pork and let those get all happy with smoke flavor and pork drippings. The butts and beans came off the heat at 6:15 PM with guests in attendance. Things happened fast last night. The crowd was hawngry. I took a few pics of the brisket but completely forgot to take pics of the pulled pork:

Name:	IMG_6819.JPG
Views:	160
Size:	289.7 KB
ID:	71489

Name:	IMG_6821.JPG
Views:	169
Size:	194.4 KB
ID:	71486

One of the guys declared this the best brisket he'd ever tasted (repeatedly). Overall it was all really good, so I was happy.

Comment

• Pit-for-Brains
          Pit-for-Brains commented
          Editing a comment
          DAAAAANG! you DA man! Wish they would hurry up developing the scent app for my cell phone!!! lol

• David Parrish
          David Parrish commented
          Editing a comment
          Thanks guys! Appreciated. It was an awesome night of food and hanging out with friends.

• PaulstheRibList
          Editing a comment
          Super Pretty, David Parrish!

Beautifully colored bark and a nice smoke ring. Well done, Boss.

Comment

David Parrish here's a gold metal from me and I'm sure from all the members too. Click image for larger version

Name:	4a7d7c52e1fd7d121fc84d02bf74c820da6e58e5_large.jpg
Views:	174
Size:	18.8 KB
ID:	71525
          Last edited by DWCowles; March 15, 2015, 12:40 PM.

Comment

• DWCowles
            DWCowles commented
            Editing a comment
            Can I do that?

• David Parrish
            David Parrish commented
            Editing a comment
            Thanks DWC! Much appreciated

Originally posted by DWCowles View Post
          David Parrish here's a gold metal from me and I'm sure from all the members too. [ATTACH=CONFIG]n71525[/ATTACH]
          You just did. :-)

Comment

There are about 10 teenage girls here, building crafts to give their adult leaders at church as a thank you. I was tasked with cooking for the festivities, so Pulled Pork! Butts went on about 11 pm, low n slow for 12 hours, then add in Meathead's KC Sytle BBQ sauce, and voila!

This is about 8 am...still a bit more to cook.

Name:	IMG_1113.JPG
Views:	156
Size:	326.3 KB
ID:	71543

I wasn't here, so my middle daughter grabbed up the Bear Claws and went to work!

Name:	IMG_1121.JPG
Views:	163
Size:	252.9 KB
ID:	71542

This is the best pulled pork sammich I've ever had! Tried smoked gouda on half of it. Like it!

Name:	IMG_1120.JPG
Views:	159
Size:	234.7 KB
ID:	71541

Comment

• Pit-for-Brains
              Pit-for-Brains commented
              Editing a comment
              How can you go wrong when you have Gods blessings! Looks awesome!

Pizza while we wait for a PBC chicken.

Comment

• David Parrish
              David Parrish commented
              Editing a comment
              Perfect color on that cheese! NICE

• Pit-for-Brains
              Pit-for-Brains commented
              Editing a comment
              Man cannot live on smoked meats alone! Lol good looking pie!

• Ernest
              Ernest commented
              Editing a comment
              You got that right Pit-for-Brains !!!

Announcement

Collapse
          No announcement yet.
          Working...
          X
          false
          ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
          false
          false
          {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
          Yes
          ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
          /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here