Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Show us what you're cooking - 3/13/2015 through 9/9/2015

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Sous vide pork chop, lentils and arugula salad. Mustard sauce

Comment

• Ernest
      Ernest commented
      Editing a comment
      Hahaha! It is now.

• JeffJ
      JeffJ commented
      Editing a comment
      That looks ridiculous, but in a good way, Ernest.

• Ernest
      Ernest commented
      Editing a comment
      Thank you JeffJ It was one of those meals that one starts off very civil, fork and knife, but ends on the medieval side. Get in there with bare hands

Frist round done. They are currently blooming....

Click image for larger version

Name:	P1010178.JPG
Views:	174
Size:	119.7 KB
ID:	75591

Comment

• DWCowles
      DWCowles commented
      Editing a comment
      Jerod Broussard hope they don't fall off when you take them for a ride

• Jerod Broussard
      Jerod Broussard commented
      Editing a comment
      The bugs add extra protein. Not everyone can get served live shrimp with live ants crawling on them.

• Karon Adams
      Karon Adams commented
      Editing a comment
      Wait! Are you using the windshield Wipers to hold up the rack? You sir are an innovator!

Just a nice little 14 oz hand cut sirloin - reverse seared with the Vortex with some spice-enhanced butter brushed on during the sear and a little finishing salt (Trader Joe's "pyramid" salt flakes). This was a goooooood steak

Name:	IMG_1447.jpg
Views:	180
Size:	497.0 KB
ID:	75613

Name:	IMG_1449.jpg
Views:	165
Size:	496.0 KB
ID:	75614

Comment

• David Parrish
      David Parrish commented
      Editing a comment
      Looks good TB. I like TJ salt too.

2 weeknight dinners prepared in 1 night...

Dinner for tonight for the wife and kids was shrimp tacos. My wife just picked up 5 pounds of 16-20 count Tiger Prawns at Costco for $10.99/lb. So, I thawed a pound, lightly oiled them and sprinkled on some cumin powder. I also cut a couple of pineapple "rounds" which were also lightly oiled and then hit with salt and pepper. Here it is before going on the grill:

Name:	IMG_0064.JPG
Views:	171
Size:	235.0 KB
ID:	75616

The pineapple and shrimp were cooked directly over the coals.

Name:	IMG_0065.jpg
Views:	189
Size:	155.1 KB
ID:	75617

Name:	IMG_0066.jpg
Views:	184
Size:	136.4 KB
ID:	75618

Name:	IMG_0067.jpg
Size:	149.5 KB
ID:	75619

At this point I closed the bottom and top vents almost all of the way. This was to slow the rate of burn of the coals so they could be utilized for round 2....(next post)....

Comment

OK. After we finished eating dinner I proceeded with tomorrow's dinner: Weeknight chili on the grill!

I used Kingsford Blue tonight and added about 10 unlit coals to the fire as well as a few cherry wood chips. I took 3.5 lbs of ground sirloin (90% lean) and formed 7 loose patties. I put 4 patties directly over the fire and the other 3 off to the side. I rotated them around until all sides of all patties received a nice sear.

Name:	IMG_0068.JPG
Size:	240.2 KB
ID:	75628

Name:	IMG_0069.jpg
Size:	185.0 KB
ID:	75629

In the meantime I chopped an onion, 3 celery stalks, 1 poblano pepper and 3 cloves of garlic. These all went into the food processor and were pureed until they formed a wet paste. This mixture was thrown into a Dutch Oven and tossed on the grill, uncovered for roughly 7 minutes (this is visible in the attached picture above). At this point I added canned tomatoes, a nice medley of ground spices, hot sauce, worcestershire, sugar and beer. I also added a fist-sized chunk of pecan wood and cooked for an hour uncovered. When all of that stuff was added the meat also went into the pot and was broken up into small chunks. After an hour I added 3 cans of chili beans, some more hot sauce, worcestershire and chili powder. I let it cook for about an hour longer uncovered and then pulled it off the grill. I'll show the remaining pictures and then share my final thoughts.

Here is a picture of the pot cooking with that coveted thin blue smoke evident:

Name:	IMG_0071.jpg
Size:	140.7 KB
ID:	75632

Here is what the chili looked like when it came out of the cooker:

Name:	IMG_0072.jpg
Views:	160
Size:	172.1 KB
ID:	75631

Those white chunks are mushrooms and navy beans.

This is what my "white Dutch Oven" looked like when it came out of the cooker:

Name:	IMG_0073.jpg
Views:	170
Size:	116.4 KB
ID:	75630

When I first sample it I thought the smoke was too assertive. So, I put it on a burner and let it simmer a bit longer and I stirred it frequently. This step pretty much corrected the issue. This is tomorrow's dinner. It will go into the 'fridge and will further meld. Tomorrow I will bring it up to a simmer and let it simmer for 20 minutes. I'll hit it with some fresh squeezed lime juice just before serving. This should further tame any overly-assertive smokiness.

This was a fun dish to prepare and overall I am happy with the result. I will pen a short post tomorrow after the final product is sampled.

Update: Just had a bowl and it turned out REALLY good! The only thing keeping it from near perfection is that I think the smoke flavor is a bit too prominent. Dial the smoke back 5-10% and this chili would be a 9.5 out of 10. As it is, I give it a 9 and I am very happy about that.
      Last edited by JeffJ; March 31, 2015, 03:03 PM. Reason: Update

Comment

Now I'm hungry. Keep us posted on how it turns out.

Comment

Did a test run for my end of May family smoking event. Found two full briskets at Sams, marked as flats, "We don't sell and can't get full briskets". one 15# and one 16# and some "back ribs" SLC, but not trimmed. Used MH's recipes and rubs for both. One of the briskets is in the "soup", becoming corned beef, to be smoked to make the pastrami, I will have to post my results on that later.
          The brisket came out good, but just a little overdone, due to reheating I think, so I will "short smoke" future ones if reheating is planned. had to go for 12 hrs to get to temp Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20150322_133614398.jpg
Views:	168
Size:	216.6 KB
ID:	76050 Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20150322_095135975.jpg
Views:	151
Size:	187.0 KB
ID:	76051
          Ribs cam out great, rub a little hot as I fresh ground the ancho chili's in the rub, may use a little less next time! My wife prefers sweeter to spicy!. they took six hours due to the amount of meat on them and they were perfectly done.
          basted (sprayed) every hour or so with beef broth, hadn't used that before but I think it worked well!

Comment

• Pit-for-Brains
            Pit-for-Brains commented
            Editing a comment
            Nice pit!!!! Looks delicious!!!

Today it's rack of lamb, baby backs, pork steaks, and jalapeno brats. with sweet taters baked beans with smoked ham shank and asparagas.

Name:	IMG_20150402_132436215_HDR_zpsubr6ndfz.jpg
Views:	181
Size:	248.8 KB
ID:	76070

Name:	IMG_20150402_132431456_zpstg6zdpz0.jpg
Views:	159
Size:	211.3 KB
ID:	76071

Name:	IMG_20150402_132443494_zpsqy3k4jtf.jpg
Views:	158
Size:	239.0 KB
ID:	76072

Name:	IMG_20150402_133919678_zpsjewurcbd.jpg
Views:	160
Size:	189.3 KB
ID:	76074
          I LOVE the Tejas!!!!!!
          Attached Files

Comment

• Pit-for-Brains
            Pit-for-Brains commented
            Editing a comment
            First time with lamb....dang that's tender! I like it!

• richinlbrg
            richinlbrg commented
            Editing a comment
            WOW!!! Beautiful.

• JeffJ
            JeffJ commented
            Editing a comment
            That is an impressive feast.

Finally a nice Spring-like evening yesterday, hung out outside with my hard cider

Name:	IMG_1450.jpg
Views:	155
Size:	351.5 KB
ID:	76092

And made a mess of chicken fajitas for the step-daughter and her friends. Chicken's not much to look at, but there's a beauty to a colorful mound of peppers on the cast iron griddle

Name:	IMG_1452.jpg
Views:	154
Size:	311.3 KB
ID:	76093

Name:	IMG_1454.jpg
Views:	161
Size:	298.6 KB
ID:	76094

Comment

• The Burn
            The Burn commented
            Editing a comment
            Pit-for-Brains - I used to drink Angry Orchard but picked up the Wood Chuck Granny Smith one day because it had about 1/4 of the carbs and found I liked the slightly more tart taste of granny smith

• Huskee
            Huskee commented
            Editing a comment
            You are the fajita king. 'Tis a beautiful thing indeed!

• The Burn
            The Burn commented
            Editing a comment
            Huskee, thanks. Love me some fajitas. 10 years in Texas, 15 years in L.A., Tex/Cal-Mex is my favorite food, and something easy to do better than most restaurants.

Sous Vide cod. Man shall not live by smoked meat alone.

Comment

• Ernest
            Ernest commented
            Editing a comment
            LOL! Get off the fence

• Karon Adams
            Karon Adams commented
            Editing a comment
            Pit, you'll get splinters.

• Huskee
            Huskee commented
            Editing a comment
            Man shall live on about four of those plates for dinner though

Ernest

Name:	notworthy.gif
Views:	85
Size:	1.7 KB
ID:	76185

Comment

Name:	IMG_0075.jpg
Views:	143
Size:	160.1 KB
ID:	76323 Hot sauce!

Last weekend I roasted the peppers on other veggies, threw in salt, vinegar, fresh squeezed lime juice and some other goodies into a bucket. I then thoroughly pureed all of the goodies from the grill and into the bucket they went as well.

Name:	IMG_0058.JPG
Views:	149
Size:	239.6 KB
ID:	76321

Name:	IMG_0061.jpg
Views:	150
Size:	123.9 KB
ID:	76322

It went into the refrigerator for a week. After melding for a week I strained and bottled it.

Name:	IMG_0075.jpg
Views:	147
Size:	160.1 KB
ID:	76324

5 quarts of sauce after straining.

Name:	IMG_0076.jpg
Views:	147
Size:	104.4 KB
ID:	76325

Name:	IMG_0077.JPG
Views:	150
Size:	151.0 KB
ID:	76326

Not to pat myself on the back but this is extremely good hot sauce. I've yet to find a gourmet sauce that I have felt was better, or even as good.

Comment

• Ernest
            Ernest commented
            Editing a comment
            It's alright to blow your horn and pat your own back every now and then. Perfectly fine.

Pizza night!

Comment

• JeffJ
            JeffJ commented
            Editing a comment
            That looks fantastic, Ernest.

• Karon Adams
            Karon Adams commented
            Editing a comment
            Crustless pizzas aren't quite as much fun but can be very yummy. look into the various alternatives out there. since the 'Gluten Free" craze has begun the folks who couldn't tell you what gluten is or what it dos differently than pas on your brakes, have created a market that is filled to bursting with oinderful alternatives. this have given those who suffer and extremely rare condition options they never had before. anyway, that means LOTS of bread alternatives. many of them with no carbs and lots of protein. various bean meals and nut meals that can stand in for bread. your crust will have a different taste than a simple white dough crust. but hey, why are we all here if not to try new things, right?

• Ernest
            Ernest commented
            Editing a comment
            DWCowles use thin slices of brisket as crust. LOL

Wow Ernest. That looks out of the park!

Comment

Waffles

Comment

• The Burn
              The Burn commented
              Editing a comment
              Ernest, I just don't really believe you have a full-time job. All the good cooking you do would take too much time....

• Ernest
              Ernest commented
              Editing a comment
              Most of my meals are less than thirty minutes. It's all in prep.
              And sous vide thingy cooks while I'm at work.

• Huskee
              Huskee commented
              Editing a comment
              Leggo my Ernest waffle!

Announcement

Collapse
          No announcement yet.
          Working...
          X
          false
          ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
          false
          false
          {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
          Yes
          ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
          /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here