Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Show us what you're cooking - 3/13/2015 through 9/9/2015

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

It's Practice Brisket season for me. Purchased 3 Choice Briskets this week, all at 2.98 a pound. First one went on just before 6 am. (OK, I was going to do it earlier, but I was too tired to trim and prep it last night...)
    Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1078.JPG
Views:	189
Size:	221.4 KB
ID:	70989 Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1080.JPG
Views:	181
Size:	202.8 KB
ID:	70990

Name:	IMG_1081.JPG
Views:	188
Size:	149.0 KB
ID:	70988 Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1082.JPG
Views:	232
Size:	96.8 KB
ID:	70987
    Attached Files

Comment

• DWCowles
      DWCowles commented
      Editing a comment
      I stop at Krogers yesterday to pick up 2-3 briskets but when I saw the price I left empty handed...$6.99 lb.

• Huskee
      Huskee commented
      Editing a comment
      Yeah DWCowles anything north of Texas sure seems to be pricey for beef. I finally found whole packers up in my neck of the woods and they were only $4.99/lb but they were select. I passed. Although it was floppy, it probably would've turned out pretty good. Most times they're $7.99 for flats only.

• DWCowles
      DWCowles commented
      Editing a comment
      Huskee I saw a post on here where someone found a sale on briskets for 2.99 ib at Krogers so I was in town yesterday and I stop at Krogers to see if they were still on sale and they weren't. They were 6.99 lb for a full packer. Heck they were 3.78 lb at walmart the other day. I should pick one up then.

Newbie on the pit here, and all i can say is WOW! just when my head gets a little inflated I see what you all are up to!!! I'm not new to BBQing but seems I learn something new every cook and looking here for advise. I was busy yesterday. I did a family pack of wings, two whole packers, and my first pastrami/corn beef point all on my little 55 gal pit. Thanks Meathead! MMM. Pastrami was well worth the $$$. I cooked from 8:15am to 1:40am and let my son pull the pastrami out of the crutch at 198 degrees. i was beat! lol here are few pictures. I didnt think about taking pics of the wings.

Name:	IMG_20150313_121443050_zpsdsynq1yt.jpg
Views:	219
Size:	135.9 KB
ID:	71027 Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20150313_173132186_zps7ochoehn.jpg
Views:	216
Size:	78.5 KB
ID:	71028
    This is how i crutch them. I think its easier to get ALL the au jus. I had to skim two pints of fat!!!

Name:	IMG_20150313_230430500_zpsqbckvmou.jpg
Views:	196
Size:	138.0 KB
ID:	71029 Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20150313_232256631_zps1mzz3mwg.jpg
Views:	197
Size:	181.6 KB
ID:	71030
    sliced and then put in pan and pour the au jus over it and whip out the FoodSaver, Gods gift to PitHeads!

Name:	IMG_20150314_085615471_zpsmvt7i0as.jpg
Views:	216
Size:	96.3 KB
ID:	71031
    And last but not LEAST! I can't wait to do another one (or 4) of these!!! I'll add a pic of the last time i took pics of my wings.

Name:	IMG_20150201_145750501_zpssbunl2dt.jpg
Views:	224
Size:	49.0 KB
ID:	71033
    Note to self....Smoked avocado=POO! yuk
    Attached Files

Comment

These should go well with the brisket

Comment

• Ernest
        Ernest commented
        Editing a comment
        Dr ROK I'll write something when I get home.

• Dr ROK
        Dr ROK commented
        Editing a comment
        You da man!

• Dr ROK
        Dr ROK commented
        Editing a comment
        Ernest, did I miss the recipe?
        Last edited by Dr ROK; March 23, 2015, 10:48 PM.

Oh YEA! My other weakness... BREAD!!! I love good yeasty breads like golden corral rolls. I like to also buy day old loaves from JimmyJohns in the morning and freeze it right away. I love that French bread they make.

Comment

Rib day. 5 fairly large racks of StLs on the Yoder since 11:30 with my rib rub and the brown sugar topper. Ash logs with an occasional apple stick thrown in.

Name:	IMAG6894.jpg
Views:	185
Size:	272.5 KB
ID:	71094

Ribs after about 2hr 15 min on:

Name:	IMAG6899.jpg
Views:	194
Size:	157.8 KB
ID:	71123

Two 4.5lb chickens dry brining int he same rub will go on the kettle later

Name:	IMAG6896.jpg
Views:	215
Size:	339.9 KB
ID:	71095
        Last edited by Huskee; March 14, 2015, 12:03 PM.

Comment

• DWCowles
          DWCowles commented
          Editing a comment
          Hang on Huskee I'm getting me a plane ticket heading your way

• Huskee
          Huskee commented
          Editing a comment
          I wouldn't turn you away bro DWCowles. But I don't use hickory...hope your ticket wasn't a super saver they're non refundable, lol.

• PaulstheRibList
          PaulstheRibList commented
          Editing a comment
          Sweet!

I have never cooked with ash. I actually never heard of anybody using ash till now. I feel like a cave man cooking on my grill lol. Can't wait till I can buy a real grill. Those ribs looked awesome. I think I'm gonna try the brown sugar topper next time.

Comment

These should go well with the brisket

Comment

• PaulstheRibList
            PaulstheRibList commented
            Editing a comment
            Those rolls look fantastic! #iLoveBread

I dedicate this cook to DWCowles . I used all lump charcoal, no briquettes or pellets.

Those rolls didn't make it to the plate. And I suspected that so I had another batch in the works. But here we go....

Brisket so moist and tender, it needs no sauce.

Ladies and gentlemen, you can low and slowilize a brisket with lump charcoal in the PBC.

Comment

• Ernest
            Ernest commented
            Editing a comment
            DWCowles thank you! I knew you'd appreciate that plate. LOL! The beans are from scratch too, like from dried beans.

• Ernest
            Ernest commented
            Editing a comment
            Thank you Huskee . This was probably my best brisket yet. Oh yeah, I rubbed it with fish sauce.

• Dr ROK
            Dr ROK commented
            Editing a comment
            Did you rub it with fish sauce prior to adding the rub?

Originally posted by Pit-for-Brains View Post
          I have never cooked with ash. I actually never heard of anybody using ash till now. I feel like a cave man cooking on my grill lol. Can't wait till I can buy a real grill. Those ribs looked awesome. I think I'm gonna try the brown sugar topper next time.
          It's really a great technique, it slowly melts and makes a glaze that blends very well with a salty & savory rub underneath. The ribs end up looking like they were sauced because of the glaze the bsugar gives it.

Comment

Originally posted by Huskee View Post

It's really a great technique, it slowly melts and makes a glaze that blends very well with a salty & savory rub underneath. The ribs end up looking like they were sauced because of the glaze the bsugar gives it.
            Its kinda like an "I coulda had a V8" moment. lol

Comment

Originally posted by Pit-for-Brains View Post

Its kinda like an "I coulda had a V8" moment. lol
              Lol, yep. But that's what The Pit is for, exchange of cool ideas while maintaining the best core principles of BBQ & cooking in general. Some you can adapt, some you can say 'thanks but no thanks' to.

Comment

No BBQ today. It's grandkids day and they wanted Papaw to bake cheesey taters and smoked sausage Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_0466.jpg
Views:	195
Size:	79.0 KB
ID:	71172

Comment

• Ernest
                  Ernest commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Lang needs a break too. LOL

• DWCowles
                  DWCowles commented
                  Editing a comment
                  fuzzydaddy besides chocolate cake this is about the only stuff they come back for seconds.

• Spinaker
                  Spinaker commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Hhey DW, Whats this recipe. Looks Delish man!!!

A lot of great looking meat and bread everyone. I'm cooking 2 chuck roasts today. Wrapped in foil (4 layers and still leaked-darn!) at stall ~150, then once IT hit 200 went another 4 hours for tender. Here's a picture before wrapping. Used BBBR.

Name:	IMG_0146.JPG
Views:	189
Size:	369.3 KB
ID:	71205

Comment

Originally posted by DWCowles View Post
                  No BBQ today. It's grandkids day and they wanted Papaw to bake cheesey taters and smoked sausage [ATTACH=CONFIG]n71172[/ATTACH]
                  Daaaaang that looks good! Did you use the pit to melt the cheese on there? Or does that go without saying? I'm gonna gain twenty pounds just looking at this site!

Comment

I bet its still as good as it looks!!!!

Comment

• DWCowles
                    DWCowles commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Pit-for-Brains Here's the recipe:
                    Five large potatoes (cut in 1/2" cubes)
                    1 Large onion (chop)
                    1 pack of smoked sausage (slice about 1/4" rounds)
                    Salt and Pepper to taste
                    Paprika to taste
                    Thyme to taste
                    2 tablespoons of olive oil
                    1 cup of sharp cheddar cheese
                    Preheat oven to 400 F.
                    Take a large baking pan (with sides} spray with Pam or cooking oil. In a large bowl add the potatoes, onions, smoked sausage, olive oil, salt and pepper, paprika and thyme. Mix together with hands. Pour in baking pan and spread evening. Bake for 45 mins - 1 hour (stir every 15 mins) until potatoes are golden brown and tender. Turn oven off and add cheese until melted.....Enjoy!
                    Last edited by DWCowles; March 14, 2015, 04:21 PM.

Announcement

Collapse
                No announcement yet.
                Working...
                X
                false
                ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                false
                false
                {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                Yes
                ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here