Instagram AmazingRibs Facebook AmazingRibs X - Meathead Pinterest AmazingRibs Youtube AmazingRibs
BBQ Stars

Welcome!


This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | 30 Day Trial | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Show Us What You're Cooking! (SUWYC) - Volume 42, SUMMER 2026

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
This topic has been answered.
X
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

    #31
    Taco Tuesday. Ribeye Cachetada, some guac and a mezcal cocktail- Naked and Famous.

    Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_9132.jpg
Views:	285
Size:	7.36 MB
ID:	1862149
    Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_9125.jpg
Views:	280
Size:	2.63 MB
ID:	1862147

    Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_9126.jpg
Views:	278
Size:	5.02 MB
ID:	1862148

    Comment


    • Andrrr
      Andrrr commented
      Editing a comment
      Money.

    • Elton's BBQ
      Elton's BBQ commented
      Editing a comment
      Caramba!!

    • fzxdoc
      fzxdoc commented
      Editing a comment
      Molcajete guac. Kicking it up a level there...👍🏻👍🏻👍🏻

      K.

    #32
    Nothing to scream about….but I do enjoy pan seared salmon over arugula and green beans!! Trying to eat a bit better after vacation

    Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0807.jpg
Views:	283
Size:	3.92 MB
ID:	1862179

    Comment


    • Elton's BBQ
      Elton's BBQ commented
      Editing a comment
      Nice!

    #33
    0-400 Chicken Thighs
    My now go-to way to cook chicken
    Bite through Skin.

    Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2979.jpg
Views:	267
Size:	1.03 MB
ID:	1862202 Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2981.jpg
Views:	267
Size:	2.02 MB
ID:	1862201 Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2983.jpg
Views:	270
Size:	2.02 MB
ID:	1862200

    Comment


      #34
      Tacos and cilantro lime rice

      Click image for larger version

Name:	20260623_184721.jpg
Views:	290
Size:	2.62 MB
ID:	1862241

      Click image for larger version

Name:	20260623_184718.jpg
Views:	309
Size:	3.88 MB
ID:	1862242

      Comment


      • barelfly
        barelfly commented
        Editing a comment
        TACOS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

      • HotSun
        HotSun commented
        Editing a comment
        Yes and yes! Great plating pic.

      #35
      While it is not as epic as my PBX ribs on the last day of Spring, here is my first cook of Summer, for Tuesday dinner for Yvonne and myself. Much of the day was rainy and cruddy, and I was planning an indoor stovetop cook, until the sun came out around 4pm, and that led me back outside. The Weber Genesis got pressed into service this go around.

      NY strips and mushrooms down. Using a mix of Grillgrates and my Lodge CS grill pan.

      Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_6167.jpg
Views:	257
Size:	4.84 MB
ID:	1862285

      I decided quickly that GRILL MARKS were not going to cut it, so off to the flats of the Grillgrate panels the steaks went... Great way to get a quick hard sear!

      Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_6170.jpg
Views:	265
Size:	5.84 MB
ID:	1862286

      Meanwhile, inside, I was baking "potato smashers" as I've been calling them. Boiled, smashed, drizzled with EVOO, salt and pepper. I left this in too long unforutnaltey, but that just made them "extra crispy"...

      Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_6173 (1).jpg
Views:	265
Size:	6.48 MB
ID:	1862287

      And finally, everything plated and ready to go. The steaks were so juicy I had to plate the crispy potatoes separately.

      Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_6176.jpg
Views:	274
Size:	4.39 MB
ID:	1862283

      And... dinner served!

      Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_6178.jpg
Views:	259
Size:	2.38 MB
ID:	1862284

      For those that wonder... with Yvonne's current medical issues, and the need to elevate her leg, we use the heck out of some TV tray tables and end up eating many meals on the couch, so that she can be reclined and elevated properly.

      Comment


      • cruiseplanner1
        cruiseplanner1 commented
        Editing a comment
        Now that is a great looking meal right there.

      #36
      Smoked some chicken yesterday in the Original Grilla OG. I still love this cooker. Mostly have used it for ribs and pork butts in the last few years, but this reminded me of why for the first year after I got it I used it almost exclusively. I had intended to switch to the sear burner on the Blaze to crisp up the skin, but the chicken started out pretty much as blocks of ice (28 F) so when I was getting complaints from family members of starvation I pulled the chicken when it hit 160 and called it good. What I found interestiong was that I had a mix of wings, legs, breasts and thighs with back attached. So a wide range of sizes. I put the wings in the center, big pieces at the edges where they would get more heat. As expected the wings were way far ahead of the breasts and thighs for most of the cook, but all ot the pieces ended up hitting 160 and virtually the same time. We had deep fried chicken the last time the grandkids were here but the kids decided they liked the smoked chicken better. Maybe because of no breading.

      Click image for larger version

Name:	image.png
Views:	298
Size:	458.4 KB
ID:	1862306​

      Click image for larger version

Name:	image.png
Views:	258
Size:	1.90 MB
ID:	1862307​

      Comment


      • klflowers
        klflowers commented
        Editing a comment
        Wow

      • Purc
        Purc commented
        Editing a comment
        Nailed it

      • dpearce
        dpearce commented
        Editing a comment
        Nicely roasted! Looks good!

      #37
      You're in Britain at a pub. England scored a draw with Ghana in the World Cup. It's 2 am. You've already had (at least) two pints more than you said you would. You want food, but not any food. You want some meaty, greasy monstrosity to stuff in your mouth.

      You want a British Doner Kebab.

      ....and that is what I made on Sunday. I followed Chuds BBQ / Bradley Robinson's recipe: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rwhSy2gMHiY

      There's a lot going on here, prep-wise, but it's a fun cook. Several condiments to make as well as the meat. You get the meat started first. Take two pounds of ground lamb and two pounds of ground chuck and mix with some greek yogurt, olive oil, cumin, coriander, smoked paprika, grated onion, grated garlic, pepper, oregano, sumac (got mine from Amazon), and salt.

      We're going for the texture of meat off of a spit so you really want to mix this stuff in good and get it emulsified, almost like making sausage.

      Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_2293.jpg Views:	0 Size:	4.32 MB ID:	1862401

      With that in the fridge, you make the sauces. The first is a garlic sauce of mayo, greek yogurt, olive oil, garlic, lemon juice, garlic powder, parsley, and oregano. Mix and get that also in the fridge for the flavors to meld.

      The next is a British Chile Sauce, which is more like a salsa to us Americans. In a food processor, combine a red onion, jalapeños or fresnos, a red bell pepper, garlic, parsley, red wine vinegar, chili flakes, brown sugar, roma tomatoes, salt, lemon juice, and mint sauce.

      The mint sauce is key. This is a hard to find ingredient, but I just happen to have a British grocery store (yes, there is such a thing) less than ten miles from my house. (Gotta love the Houston food scene!)

      Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_2295.jpg Views:	0 Size:	3.20 MB ID:	1862395

      I used two large jalapeños (Bradley uses two fresnos) and the sauce came out perfectly well balanced. I generally like a spicier salsa, but adding more chiles would have thrown it out of balance. I also like the color contrast with the red tomatoes and bell pepper. ( Mosca I think you really might like this one, but do get the mint sauce. Amazon carries it, although at twice the price I paid for it.)

      Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_2294.jpg Views:	0 Size:	4.20 MB ID:	1862400

      Bradley cooked the sauce, but I didn't. I didn't think it needed it. The flavor is really good and it is hard to describe....the flavor of the vinegar, peppers, tomatoes, sugar, and mint sauce make it a welcome break from Mexican-style salsas. The recipe makes a lot, though...nearly four cups worth.

      Finally, make some pickled red cabbage by slicing that up and mixing with lemon juice, salt and olive oil and some pickled sumac onions by mixing thinkly sliced red onions with salt, lemon juice, olive oil, and sumac.

      Still with me?

      Make the pitas. I won't detail this process here as it is a fairly typical pita recipe.

      Now for the really interesting part. This recipe uses an ingenious technique to mimic the texture one would get from shaved meat off of a rotating spit. What you do is spread out your meat mixture on a piece of parchment paper and then place a second piece of parchement paper on top of that. Then, using a rolling pin, roll it out to get it flat.

      I didn't get a good photo of this as I had meat mixture all over my hands, but here is a screenshot from the video showing the technique.

      Click image for larger version  Name:	Screenshot 2026-06-24 at 3.18.45 PM.png Views:	0 Size:	3.73 MB ID:	1862403

      Remove the top sheet of parchement paper and discard. Roll up the meat and bottom sheet into a roll. The four pounds of meat will make two rolls. Here are mine.

      Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_2297.jpg Views:	0 Size:	3.81 MB ID:	1862398

      Next, onto the smoker they go for about 30-40 minutes at 350 F until 160 F internal.

      Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_2298.jpg Views:	0 Size:	4.63 MB ID:	1862404

      When, done the paper will be soaked with delicious fat and your kitchen will smell unreal....

      Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_2300.jpg Views:	0 Size:	3.85 MB ID:	1862399

      Here's a cross-section.

      Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_2301.jpg Views:	0 Size:	2.85 MB ID:	1862393

      Now, you just unroll it like a sheet and discard the remaining paper. The outer layer does get a nice smoke ring.

      Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_2302.jpg Views:	0 Size:	3.13 MB ID:	1862394

      For the final cooking step, slice it up roughly into the size you'd expect to get from a spit, then get it going over some charcoal or a cast iron pan to get that final char on the outside. Don't overdo this; you don't want to overcook the meat!

      Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_2308.jpg Views:	0 Size:	3.64 MB ID:	1862396

      Finally (whew), plate it up by taking a pita that you've heated up, smothering some of that garlic-mayo on it, then some pickled red cabbage, then some sumac onion, the a good pile of your meat, then some of that chile sauce.....

      Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_2305.jpg Views:	0 Size:	3.64 MB ID:	1862397

      ...and fold that thing and stuff it in your mouth, rejoicing that when inebriated, food has no calories.

      This is easily in the top ~15 things I've ever made. The meat is just divine....it's so fragrant and delicious with all of the spices. And everything comes together with the pita, the sauces, and the cabbage and onions.

      The rolling it out into a sheet and rolling it up does work. This is as close to the real thing as I've ever gotten texture-wise.

      In two months (I vacsealed and froze one of my beef-lamb logs for next month), I'm going to try a different style of doner kebab, the one from Berlin, which, while the meat is the same, the rest is quite different.

      Comment


      • theroc
        theroc commented
        Editing a comment
        Brilliant!

      • fzxdoc
        fzxdoc commented
        Editing a comment
        Absolutely amazing. Probably a 4 hour or more cooking effort, but it looks well worth it.
        FWIW have you see Refika's (Turkish) video on making doner kebabs at home. Also excellent.



        Kathryn

      • Michael_in_TX
        Michael_in_TX commented
        Editing a comment
        fzxdoc I had not seen that video....what a cool channel! Her technique is interesting...she gets the meat really, really thin by shaving it when frozen. I also like how the doner kebab is just so different all over the world.

      #38
      Smoked picnic (pork shoulder)...my standard pork rub.
      ​

      I put this on about 8:30 pm Sunday night to cook overnight, all analog, no Inkbird, no babysitting, just faith. I still haven't used the Inkbird since I moved to the new house. Combination of lump and briquettes for fuel, 1.75 on the damper and vent, hickory chunks, Vortex to facilitate the 'snake' method of smoking. I was trying to dodge Monday's impending stormy weather.

      Set it and forgot it. Got up for work, checked it at about 8 am, temps at about 175F. Kept it rolling until 12:30 pm, wrapped it in foil.
      Click image for larger version

Name:	20260622_115048.jpg
Views:	292
Size:	1.51 MB
ID:	1862423

      Pulled from the smoker at about 2 pm, temps at about 195F. Popped in the oven (started to sprinkle outside), cranked the heat to about 350F, then turned it off. Pulled the pork at about 6:30 pm. It was probably a 16 hour cook, all told.
      ​

      ​

      Plating: roasted small potatoes, my homemade pickled devil beans, pulled picnic on Amoroso club roll with some Carolina style BBQ sauce. Not shown: Caesar salad with bib lettuce and fresh Parmesan, since we have a romaine shortage.
      ​
      Delicious. My kids are awesome and keep telling me they love my cooking because it is real food. I'll take it.

      Cooker got a little hotter than I would have liked with the 1.75 damper/vent, but last time I used 1.5 settings, the smoker extinguished. I cleaned the critical parts about a week ago, so just that small detail probably made the Kamander breathe a little better. Given the higher heat and long cook time, it was a little dry in a few spots, but not terribly so. B+ on the picnic.​

      Comment


      • HotSun
        HotSun commented
        Editing a comment
        Weird....some of my pics disappeared. Oh well...

      • Bogy
        Bogy commented
        Editing a comment
        HotSun that's what happens when too many people drool on your pictures. They dissolve and disappear.

      • HotSun
        HotSun commented
        Editing a comment
        Bogy , funny, and maybe true. 🤣

      #39
      I picked up a 4 lb cut from a packer at the grocery store. Very small point at one end to about half point, half flat at the other end. Dry brined over night and rubbed with BBBR. Smoked for almost 3 hrs with oak and then sous vide for 24 hrs at 145F. This is definitely one of my top 5 brisket cooks! Served with some air fryer roasted broccoli. Oh yeah, the brisket!

      Click image for larger version

Name:	20260623_185643.jpg
Views:	273
Size:	4.25 MB
ID:	1862449 Click image for larger version

Name:	20260624_165132.jpg
Views:	244
Size:	3.08 MB
ID:	1862451 Click image for larger version

Name:	20260624_165449.jpg
Views:	241
Size:	3.83 MB
ID:	1862452 Click image for larger version

Name:	20260624_172034.jpg
Views:	227
Size:	3.50 MB
ID:	1862450

      Comment


      • Elton's BBQ
        Elton's BBQ commented
        Editing a comment
        Nice!

      #40
      A friend of mine went on a fishing trip to lake Erie and brought me back some walleye. I had never had it. If you have not, I rank it very high as one one the best, HawkerXP
      Fried potato's and onion's little salad came from our garden. Except the bacon.

      Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4623.jpg
Views:	232
Size:	94.4 KB
ID:	1862455​
      Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4624.jpg
Views:	213
Size:	90.0 KB
ID:	1862456​

      Comment


      • dpearce
        dpearce commented
        Editing a comment
        Having caught and eaten Walleye from Lake Erie, I can back you up on the taste. Always liked it. Salt, Pepper, maybe a little garlic powder, and a squish of lemon juice, and you're good to go. Right up there with fresh caught trout and salmon in my experience. Great looking cook!

      • Hulagn1971
        Hulagn1971 commented
        Editing a comment
        That is my kind of meal right there. I haven't had walleye before, need to try it.

      • glitchy
        glitchy commented
        Editing a comment
        I haven’t kept a fish in years and don’t fish the lakes that are good walleye lakes, but if I ever happen upon a school of them you can bet I’m keeping all I can up to the limit. Best freshwater fishing eats there is.

      #41
      Another lesson with my daughter who’ll have her own apartment for the first time next semester and will not be on a meal plan. Today’s lesson: a NJ staple - chicken cutlets. Obligatory tomato and mutz - hey that’s some early basil from the garden and a half a baked spud. I gave her an A on the food and an F on the mess around her plate.

      Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_9138.jpg
Views:	210
Size:	2.87 MB
ID:	1862460
      Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_9139.jpg
Views:	212
Size:	6.05 MB
ID:	1862461


      Comment


      • dpearce
        dpearce commented
        Editing a comment
        I buy all my kids thermoPops when they got their own place, along with a meat temperature chart. If you're going to have to cook, and least cook it good! Nice work!

      • JCBBQ
        JCBBQ commented
        Editing a comment
        dpearce that’s a great idea.

      • HotSun
        HotSun commented
        Editing a comment
        I'm loving the arugula over the cutlet.

      #42
      More Griddle Goodness.

      Homemade Bratwurst patties inspired by Bruce Aidell's book (2000).
      Melted Mozzarella cheese, French bread, Mayo and a lettuce leaf.
      Loaded Green Leaf Salad for the side.

      Click image for larger version

Name:	B60B6D8F-90F0-4701-908B-A2DE1E03E4BE.jpg
Views:	211
Size:	2.76 MB
ID:	1862475 Click image for larger version

Name:	80F95BC9-2601-4340-868B-FF8E4BB2A015.jpg
Views:	204
Size:	2.67 MB
ID:	1862476 Click image for larger version

Name:	0748DA3A-DC7D-4B14-B4F9-78EC79DBC869.jpg
Views:	208
Size:	1.46 MB
ID:	1862477

      Comment


      • Elton's BBQ
        Elton's BBQ commented
        Editing a comment
        Yessire!

      #43
      Brisket. About 2#. Cut off a 7# flat my wife bought for Passover. She didn't want to do the whole cut, so I took the 2#.
      Brined overnight. Then BBBR. On Kettle with SnS about 7 hours at 275ish with B&B. I had leftover beans. Was a nice mix.
      ​
      Click image for larger version

Name:	20260624_165043.jpg
Views:	237
Size:	3.05 MB
ID:	1862479 Click image for larger version

Name:	20260624_165640.jpg
Views:	216
Size:	1.71 MB
ID:	1862480 Click image for larger version

Name:	20260624_185556.jpg
Views:	209
Size:	1.91 MB
ID:	1862483
      Attached Files

      Comment


      • Elton's BBQ
        Elton's BBQ commented
        Editing a comment
        Some serious Smokering!
        Looks very nice!

      #44
      A couple of weeks ago I was speaking with a friend about Sloppy Joes and I was wishing for a version that is not as sweet as typical SJs. Then a couple of days ago I came across a video about Sloppy Phils. I’d never heard of them before. So I had to give them a try. Think Philly Cheesesteak flavors made with ground beef. This worked.

      Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2580.jpg
Views:	224
Size:	2.42 MB
ID:	1862499

      Comment


      #45
      it's been hot this week, so all food is cooked outside or it's a salad .... tonight was a green salad, a bit of pasta salad leftover from the weekend, and a hanger steak. Nice for a hot day .... with a Sam Adams


      Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1135.jpg
Views:	193
Size:	2.02 MB
ID:	1862528
      Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1136.jpg
Views:	217
Size:	2.55 MB
ID:	1862526
      Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1137.jpg
Views:	199
Size:	3.06 MB
ID:	1862527

      Comment


      • ecowper
        ecowper commented
        Editing a comment
        Elton's BBQ That is my #1 favorite beer :-)

      • theroc
        theroc commented
        Editing a comment
        That looks perfect for a hot, or any, day.

      • HotSun
        HotSun commented
        Editing a comment
        Great mix of protein, veggies, and grain. Nice plating pic....outstanding work!

    Announcement

    Collapse
    No announcement yet.
    Working...
    X
    false
    0
    Guest
    Guest
    500
    ["membership","help","nojs","maintenance","shop","reset-password","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
    false
    false
    Yes
    ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2025-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2026-issues","\/forum\/bbq-stars","\/forum\/bbq-stars\/tuffy-stone","\/forum\/bbq-stars\/meathead","\/forum\/bbq-stars\/harry-soo","\/forum\/bbq-stars\/matt-pittman","\/forum\/bbq-stars\/kent-rollins","\/forum\/bbq-stars\/dean-fearing","\/forum\/bbq-stars\/tim-grandinetti","\/forum\/bbq-stars\/kent-phillips-brett-gallaway","\/forum\/bbq-stars\/david-bouska","\/forum\/bbq-stars\/ariane-daguin","\/forum\/bbq-stars\/jack-arnold","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads"]
    /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads
    7