Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

KBQ ~ has landed

Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

texastweeter stick was Arturo Fuente. I have some Oliva G serie G and Serie V in my humidor.

Comment

My thanks to all that contribute to this thread! I finally finished all 105 pages and feel like I learned a ton! I pulled the trigger this week and have one ordered. Should be here Monday! I am now trying to remember all of the accessories and mods that you all recommend to get started. I have a list below from the KBQ site. Am I missing anything? I think there was a tool box mentioned to keep the controller box protected during storage too.

Kill Switch

Cover

Winco 2.5 inch

Comment

• BBQ_Bill
        BBQ_Bill commented
        Editing a comment
        Yes, I could get a Door Kit together if needed.
        Thanks ComfortablyNumb

• EdF
        EdF commented
        Editing a comment
        I've got a 19" (?) Stanley plastic box off Amazon that works perfectly.

• JGrana
        JGrana commented
        Editing a comment
        Your list looks good, but I would recommend you add @BBQ_Bills Door Kit. Works perfect and will save your ankles if you move your KBQ around! :-)

Congrats and welcome to the KBQ family!

I think you have the bases covered. One thing you should get for sure is a kindling splitter. It makes things so much easier. Especially when you have regular sized logs that you need to cut down.
      Click image for larger version

Name:	118990_200x200.jpg
Views:	969
Size:	5.6 KB
ID:	792593

You should also get a grill mat or two. They are really handy for catching coals.

Comment

• SmokeyNate
        SmokeyNate commented
        Editing a comment
        Thanks for the tip Spinaker Kindling Cracker ordered! Pardon my ignorance here but how do you use the grill mat for coals??

• BBQ_Bill
        BBQ_Bill commented
        Editing a comment
        Agreed. I purchased the larger Kindling Cracker, and use it every smoke. Actually don't know how I ever got along without it! Wonderful tool.

• Spinaker
        Spinaker commented
        Editing a comment
        Just lay it down under the KBQ, it will catch any grease that leaks out and it will catch coals that might fall out of the fire box while you are stoking the fire. It is more of a precaution. I would also order more than one pan, I keep one under the front of the KBQ just in case some grease misses the drip pan inside. SmokeyNate

Well it finally arrived! It took a couple of extra days since I missed the Fedex guy the first time around but I got it put together last night. As its been said many times the packaging was first class! It took me about 30 minutes or so to put together and most of that was spend on getting the back legs attached. I figure I will probably never see it this clean again. I just need to get my wood cut to size now. Looking forward to my fist cook. Probably will do a pork butt and maybe some ribs. That sear grid looks like it will come in handy!
      Attached Files

Comment

• BBQ_Bill
        BBQ_Bill commented
        Editing a comment
        JGrana
        Thanks for the mention. He PM'd me and ordered a Door Kit.

• Arsenlael
        Arsenlael commented
        Editing a comment
        Oh man...I'm emotional just looking at it. Wow.

• Spinaker
        Spinaker commented
        Editing a comment
        Such a gorgeous sight. I did a complete clean up on mine yesterday after a huge weekend of use and it felt good to shine her up again. Alas, you are right, this is as clean as it will ever be.

Last Sunday I smoked two racks of ribs. I got the ribs from BJ'S, same brand, in the same plastic bag as before. Last Saturday night when I opened the bag to trim them before putting on rub I was shocked. The ribs were already trimmed to competition style. That was a first.

The first ribs I smoked on KBQ without wrapping the Admiral said they were not sweet enough. Well, the batch of rub used on those ribs I had a problem grinding the Turbinado Sugar. My coffee grinder was not happy i.e. smoke coming out of it. So the Turbinado Sugar still had granules and not dust. As usual operator fault. This batch of rub I put small batches of sugar in the grinder till I got the amount I needed. The admiral was happy with the sweetness with theses ribs. Live and learn.

So everybody knows this happen.

Name:	IMG_0334.JPG
Views:	962
Size:	131.7 KB
ID:	795752

Comment

• HawkerXP
        HawkerXP commented
        Editing a comment
        You didn't have to sleep on the boat? Those look sweet to me also!

Name:	beefy.jpg
Views:	915
Size:	104.9 KB
ID:	795776

I left the cutting board for 5 minutes and this is what they left for me....

Name:	2 Picanha.jpg
Views:	915
Size:	113.7 KB
ID:	795777

Comment

I recognize that cutting board experience.
        Great pic, love the cigar in it!

Comment

It was great to get the KBQ out again this weekend. It does make the best ribs ever. Especially while using some of that cherry wood!

Name:	IMG_6705.jpeg
Views:	860
Size:	57.4 KB
ID:	796565Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_6722.jpeg
Views:	932
Size:	122.0 KB
ID:	796564

Comment

• hogdog6
            hogdog6 commented
            Editing a comment
            There is something unexplainable about running a KBQ. Especially seeing the flames in the dark. Just a fun experience. Great pic.

• Spinaker
            Spinaker commented
            Editing a comment
            No sauce and no wrap. Gotta let that smoke do the talking man. No need! I went at about 275 average. All 8 racks took about 4 hours. SmokeyNate

• Spinaker
            Spinaker commented
            Editing a comment
            Agree 100%. Or answering the question......."What is that thing." I always say, "the best kept secret in BBQ." hogdog6

Name:	Que 2.jpg
Views:	872
Size:	159.3 KB
ID:	796677

Comment

• Spinaker
            Spinaker commented
            Editing a comment
            Which KBQ did you cook this on? #1 or #2? LOL. You are the man, E.

• Craigar
            Craigar commented
            Editing a comment
            What? No smoke ring on the hot dogs? Ha! As always, a great looking cook!

Question for those of you who have smoked brisket in the KBQ, then Sous Vided. I've done it a couple of times with amazing results, but I tend to not write down recipes or times (dumb, I know). I've frozen it, then reheated in the SV, and just delicious. Anyway, if you've done it, what was your pull-temp from the KBQ, and then temp and time in the sous vide? I believe previously I pulled at 145ish internal, then did 150 on the SV for 36 hours. That's what I have going now... it's in the bath now with about 24 hours to go. By the way, it was a Wagyu brisket (really!) from Costco. I separated the flat and point after smoking and bagged them separately. I'm flying cross-country next week and bringing brisket and ribs for a business group of 16 I belong to. Thanks!

Comment

• EdF
            EdF commented
            Editing a comment
            My kind of business associate!

• ArtSob
            ArtSob commented
            Editing a comment
            UPDATE: I did it exactly as written above. Warmed the flat and point in a sous vide bath at 145 for an hour. Came out amazingly tender, competition quality. As usual with SV, not much of a smoke taste, just slight. Took the juices from the bag and reduced in a small pot... some say this doesn't turn out good, but it was awesome. Many commented it was the best brisket they've ever had.

Before I start let me say two things. First I am not affiliated with the product below other than buying it. Second the Owners manual says, "BE CAREFUL IF USING DEGREASER ON YOUR CONTROL BOX - IT CAN RUN DOWN THE MOTOR SHAFTS AND DEGREASE THE BEARINGS, TOO.THAT WILL VOID THE WARRANTY."

After 34 hours of use the the fans and bottom of my control box had a fair build up a soot. I attacked the control box with Weiman Stainless steel wipes and a stainless steel wire brush and a stainless steel wire tooth brush. The liquid in the wipes is very thick and does not run. It took a little bit of time.

Name:	IMG_0344.JPG
Views:	770
Size:	169.1 KB
ID:	803135

A better picture of the wipes.

Name:	IMG_0345.JPG
Views:	778
Size:	196.2 KB
ID:	803136

Comment

• Spinaker
            Spinaker commented
            Editing a comment
            Looks great!

• frigate
            frigate commented
            Editing a comment
            lostclusters thank you. I knew I was forgetting something. With the fans off I used alcohol. Also Mr. Clean has a product out for kitchen and stainless steel cleaning - FAIL

• Dr. Pepper
            Dr. Pepper commented
            Editing a comment
            Man, you must have some teeth to use a stainless steel tooth brush! I'm impressed!

I think I'm going to order one of these bad boys! What's the door model you all have been talking about?

Comment

• lostclusters
            lostclusters commented
            Editing a comment
            I believe you are referring to the door mod that BBQ_Bill sells. It allows you to remove the door for cleaning.

• ComfortablyNumb
            ComfortablyNumb commented
            Editing a comment
            And handles that prop the door up so juices and grease stay in the cooker

Yeeeeaah buddy!

Comment

Howdy Tony and all...
            Found a restaurant that had closed down about two years ago.
            Decided to buy it and turn it into a BBQ "Hot Spot" in the area.
            Been super busy with my full-time job as well as trying to plan all, bring in help, and work with the County Health, Air Quality, Fire Dept, etc...
            Want to apologize in advance because at this time I am so slow in shipping out KBQ Door Kits.
            I have seriously neglected this, but will try to somehow get it done.
            Thank you all for your patience at this time.
            Bill in Phoenix

Comment

• Tony7781
              Tony7781 commented
              Editing a comment
              Nice to meet you Bill. When you have the time, can you let me know how much and how I can order a door kit from you? Thanks and good luck with the BBQ spot!!

• ArtSob
              ArtSob commented
              Editing a comment
              Let me know when you are opening, Bill... or if you need someone to sample your soft opening

• Bellefonte Smoker
              Bellefonte Smoker commented
              Editing a comment
              Best of luck with your new enterprise!

Congrats Bill!! I'll be coming from ATL to visit you and check out that insane brisket and killer beef ribs!!

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
            No announcement yet.
            Working...
            X
            false
            ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
            false
            false
            {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
            Yes
            ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
            /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here