Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Eric’s Brisket Method

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Eric’s Brisket Method

Okay, I wrote this up for a friend who is a complete newbie to serious BBQ, but wanted to know how I cook brisket. I told him I had learned from Meathead, Aaron Franklin, and The Pit (ie here) and it was now all in my head. He asked me to please try to write it up, so I spent about 4 hours putting this down on paper. Here’s what I wrote up for my friend, plus pictures .... maybe it will help someone. And maybe it is a good place to start arguing ;-)

——————————
    A few notes about brisket
    1. Brisket is the pectoral muscles of the cow. They are very heavily used and very tough, lots of connective tissue and hard/tough muscle. Long, slow cooking is required
    2. A brisket, cooked right, is the finest bbq you can cook.
    3. Spend a bit of money and buy quality meat
    4. buy a whole packer the first time you cook it
    5. Learn how to trim it .... there’s great YouTube videos showing this
    6. Aaron Franklin - great BBQ cook - trims and preps a brisket - https://youtu.be/VmTzdMHu5KU
    7. I actually dry brine my meat .... brisket, steak, chicken, etc ..... for 24 hours, or more .... dry brining is using salt with no liquid to tenderize and flavor the meat. 1/2 tsp of Morton’s kosher salt per pound of meat. Spread it on liberally. Put it in the fridge, uncovered, for at least 1 hour, preferably 24 hours, before cooking.

I suggest that you follow my method exactly the first time you cook a brisket. Once you have it dialed in to the point where you are happy, then start adjusting until you get to your perfect taste.

Rub for the meat .....

1/2 tsp Morton’s Kosher salt per pound
    For a 14 lb brisket, trimmed, you will also want
    5 tsp coarse ground black pepper
    5 tsp granulated garlic

Use the salt as a brine 24 hours ahead of cooking .... liberally coat all sides of the trimmed brisket ... work some into the folds, flaps ... put on a cookie sheet, put in the fridge, allow to brine for 24 hours prior to cooking

Right before you cook, you will add the rub ... mix the pepper and garlic evenly, then apply liberally to the meat on all sides.

Important notes about cooking a brisket
    1. learn how to set your grill up for 2 zone, indirect cooking. You want the "cool side" of the grill to be 225 to 250 degrees. You achieve this by putting all your heat on one side .... on a charcoal grill you pile the charcoal at one side ... one a propane grill you turn on only part of your burners. You will have to experiment with your grill to find the right technique to achieve this. Use a quality digital thermometer to know the actual temperature in your cool or hot zone, depending. I recommend the Maverick ET-732, available on amazon for about $50
    2. Make darn sure you have enough fuel for a long cook. Brisket is 12-14 hours. You want a full propane tank, or about 20 lbs of charcoal, depending on your grill.
    3. Meat takes on smoke flavor best when it is cold. Get your grill set up, get your smoke rolling, then take your brisket out of the fridge, apply your rub and go straight to the grill.
    4. Meat doesn’t absorb smoke well as it gets warmer, as a practical matter after an internal temp of about 150F, so don’t worry too much about smoke after that. However, when the meat is cold and moist, it absorbs a lot of smoke. That's why we go straight from the fridge to the smoker and why we have a water pan in the cooker.
    5. A brisket will stall during the cook. This is normal. Don’t freak out. Do plan for it. Your meat temp will naturally rise to about 155F and then suddenly stop going up. IT IS NORMAL. The moisture in the meat is evaporating and cooling the meat off faster than the temp is increasing from the grill heat. This will continue for several hours, then the meat comes out of the stall and goes up slowly after that
    6. Meat temp is a guide. The real way to know if the brisket is done is to probe it with a thin, pointy "probe" .... a thermometer or cake probe ... when your probe enters the meat and feels like a knife going into warm butter ... it is done.
    7. Meat temp helps, though. Quality brisket is getting into the done range when it’s internal temp is 190F. Start checking it then. Somewhere between 190 and 205, it should be done.
    8. After it is done, you should wrap it tightly in aluminum foil (very tight) and put it in a 170F oven for at least one hour. Or wrap in old towels around the foil and then into a beer cooler (will hold the meat at 170) for at least one hour. COuld go as long as 4 hours, depending.
    9. When ready to slice, take it out of the oven or cooler, unwrap, let it sit on cutting board for 10-15 minutes. You want the internal temp to come down a bit, to about 150 .... makes it slice easier

Method

Trim the brisket per above video
    Salt and dry brine for 24 hours
    Prep grill for 2 zone cooking, bring to 225-250 on indirect side
    Get smoke going using a smokenator or foil pouch of wood chips or wood chunks depending on whether using propane or charcoal
    Get your grill thermometer set up and monitoring the indirect zone on your grill
    Rub the meat per above instructions
    Straight to the grill, place a meat temp probe in the thickest part of the meat
    Cook per guidelines above about temps .... get over 190F and then start checking for "done" using the probe to feel like butter approach
    When done, remove, wrap, hold in oven or beer cooler
    When ready for dinner, slice into 1/4” slices .... check out this video on slicing brisket: https://youtu.be/sMIlyzRFUjU ..... slicing starts at the 8:00 mark
    Serve :-)

Buying brisket

Preferably go to Costco and buy a Prime Packer Brisket ... this will have both the point and flat and come in cryovac. Bigger is better. Go 14-16 pounds. If your costco doesn’t carry whole packers, go to a local butcher and ask him for a whole packer brisket. If your butcher doesn’t know what that is, find a new butcher. :-)

Prime is way better than Choice. If you go higher grade than Prime, it will cook very different and very fast. Be aware.

A Prime packer, pre trim weight of 14-16 lbs, will need 12-14 hours to cook, plus 1 hour to prep the grill, plus minimum of 1 hour holding after the cook. Plan on 16 hours start to finish. If it is done early, hold in oven/cooler longer, which is fine.

——————————

Whole packer brisket in cryovac
    Click image for larger version  Name:	72212C94-82F5-495D-A92C-1A6704E5BD90.jpeg Views:	1052 Size:	2.57 MB ID:	546243

Starting to trim .... use a sharp knife, keep the meat cold
    Click image for larger version  Name:	4F611EDE-5CE7-400A-AE39-C828C5FBAE07.jpeg Views:	514 Size:	3.09 MB ID:	546245

Trimmed and starting to dry brine
    Click image for larger version  Name:	2F5813C1-3C37-4286-907E-EB5276936473.jpeg Views:	518 Size:	1.94 MB ID:	546244

With the rub on, just out of the fridge, ready to go on the smoker
    Click image for larger version  Name:	8B44C377-7DAC-4D6B-8491-315DCB5F116E.jpeg Views:	514 Size:	2.86 MB ID:	546246

Just put it on the WSM at 2 AM
    Click image for larger version  Name:	42DAAC2A-1911-4F2E-8F19-64FFAD9C1ABC.jpeg Views:	518 Size:	1.56 MB ID:	546248

Just hit the stall ... notice the bark and the moisture on the meat .... it’s at 150F and doing good
    Click image for larger version  Name:	B459B4F8-731B-46BB-8EB5-DA62917A8477.jpeg Views:	516 Size:	3.41 MB ID:	546247

What it looks like done! Click image for larger version  Name:	01C45A22-E281-46CC-9C5E-4B34581448E1.jpeg Views:	506 Size:	2.25 MB ID:	546249

And starting to slice it
    Click image for larger version  Name:	C8CD8DA7-1CDF-4BA5-A3A7-9BCE21212BF7.jpeg Views:	513 Size:	1.49 MB ID:	546250

On the plate with sides
    Click image for larger version  Name:	831C47C2-A83A-443C-A0E0-163DABF25DB8.jpeg Views:	514 Size:	2.23 MB ID:	546251
    Last edited by ecowper; September 30, 2020, 01:02 PM. Reason: Edited regarding how/when a brisket absorbs smoke.

Nicely done! No argument here. Looks very good! Anyone following your directions should be a brisket master.

Comment

Great write up. Thanks for taking the time to post.

Comment

Wow! Hope your friend know how lucky he is to have you do this excellent how-to. Great job!

Comment

• Sweaty Paul
          Sweaty Paul commented
          Editing a comment
          👆👆

I'm getting my first smoker delivered today and the wife wants brisket. Timing of this post couldn't have been better. Many thanks!

Comment

• ecowper
          ecowper commented
          Editing a comment
          That’s awesome ... what smoker? And if you need some help, don’t hesitate to let me know :-)

Very nice job, there, brother!
        I'm bettin he will do jus fine, with such good guidance!

Great lookin brisky, btw!

Comment

• ecowper
          ecowper commented
          Editing a comment
          His kids love BBQ, but he has never cooked his own. He decided he wants to dive right in with brisket!

• Sweaty Paul
          Sweaty Paul commented
          Editing a comment
          ecowper think if I were trying I’d start with a pork butt. Nope, pork butt is EXACTLY how I started.

Good on him.

That's the way to learn him.

Comment

Bookmarked this baby! Thanks for the write up!

Comment

• ecowper
            ecowper commented
            Editing a comment
            Happy if this is helpful for someone besides me :-)

Have you been spying on me? Cause that is eerily similar to Steve's Brisket Method! I do like my butcher paper wrap, though. And I typically look for the nicest Choice I can find, since Prime is a lot more expensive around here. Honestly, other than what you included in this post, everything else is simply a matter of personal preference, so you definitely got the basics covered.
          Last edited by Steve R.; August 10, 2018, 07:15 AM.

Comment

• ecowper
            ecowper commented
            Editing a comment
            so, you haven't noticed the spy cams and microphones in your house and yard yet??

• ecowper
            ecowper commented
            Editing a comment
            The one thing I don’t do is wrap .... I only ever wrap if the hunk of meat (brisket, butt, whatever) does not want to get done on time :-)

Solid tutorial! You're buddy owes ya a case of beer for putting together detailed instructions like that!

Comment

• ecowper
            ecowper commented
            Editing a comment
            And a couple slices o’brisket!

• holehogg
            holehogg commented
            Editing a comment
            Good day Sir. Trust you the family and of course the grandkids are doing well. Still miss your presence in the pit. Happy New year to you and yours.

Well written article. Should be a sticky. Now will someone tell me how to bookmark this thread?

Comment

• FireMan
            FireMan commented
            Editing a comment
            Yeah, ditto.

• Bogy
            Bogy commented
            Editing a comment
            Someone else may have a different method, and I'm using Chrome as my browser, so YMMV, but I went to the address bar at the top of the browser, clicked on the star on the right side (or go to the menu for the browser), and set it as a bookmark. I've got a folder marked "Grill" so it went in there. I did it as a bookmark in my browser, I don't see a way to set a bookmark as part of the website.

• Donw
            Donw commented
            Editing a comment
            Thanks Pastor. Used the bookmark function like you instructed and now have it saved.👍🏻

Magnifico! That is one thing I have not cooked. First off it’s a ton of meat just for 2 people. Second there is all sorts how to’s & the fear factor of screwing it up if I do it for a group, that & the length of time. Your tutorial is concise & precise. With your painstaking explanation I will give it a try before winter sets in.

Comment

• ddmcwhirter
            ddmcwhirter commented
            Editing a comment
            Look at good mop sauces...I don't use while cooking, but on slices, soaking toast, etc. and, when vacuum sealing for the freezer we pour in some sauce. I prefer the rather transparent stock and vinegar based sauce, with spices, steak sauce, fruit juice, and a bit of bottled bbq sauce.

• ecowper
            ecowper commented
            Editing a comment
            ddmcwhirter I make Texas mop sauce to use when serving usually.

• ecowper
            ecowper commented
            Editing a comment
            Scout789 and don’t forget to save some for brisket hash in the morning!

Yea really nicely thought out and presented ecowper , bravo !!! Now as to what could turn into a 3 hour argument, I may have a disagreement with you on your #2 in your first set of notes, but that's indeed a personal preference !!!

Comment

Troutman I argue with myself about #2 ..... beef ribs, done right, might be the finest BBQ one can cook ..... no, you fool, it's brisket! shut up .... no you .... no you ..... ribs .... brisket ..... argh!

Comment

• Troutman
              Troutman commented
              Editing a comment
              Now you're on the right track.......

• Bogy
              Bogy commented
              Editing a comment
              I thought whatever you just cooked and were eating right now was the finest BBQ available!?

Great write up. I was restacking the beef in the freezer on Monday, so I could add a bunch of pork. Processor already separated and trimmed the brisket, so when I cook them it will be a little different, but this was a good refresher. Been waiting until we had more people to do the brisket. Got an request for pulled pork for Labor Day weekend when we celebrate my granddaughter's birthday. May do brisket along with the pork.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
            No announcement yet.
            Working...
            X
            false
            ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
            false
            false
            {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
            Yes
            ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
            /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here