Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Rancho Gordo Beans and Bean Club

Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Rancho Gordo Beans and Bean Club

Well, after being on a wait list for a year or more, I've been ushered into the Rancho Gordo Bean Club to the tune of $40 quarterly. For that I get 6 varieties of beans and grains not often available on the website to non-members plus free shipping on any one order per quarter.

I signed up and didn't tell my husband yet. He'll think I'm nuts for subscribing to a quarterly bean club, I'm thinking (although I was a proud member of a bacon-of-the-month club for quite a while. He didn't say anything about that. )

Anyway, if there are Rancho Gordo aficionados out there, tell me I made a wise move. I know they have heirloom bean varieties that are not usually available which has piqued my curiosity, but are they worth the investment?

Good thing is that I can quit at any time if we get inundated by beans or don't like what we get.

Kathryn

Hmmm, interesting. The love of beans is not a love I've ever considered kindling, although I love black beans in anything you can put them in. I am however a quarterly member of Flaviar, an online spirits outfit.

I look forward to any new recipe ideas you may have with new beans!

Comment

• Mr. Bones
      Mr. Bones commented
      Editing a comment
      I'd like an email too, please...
      When ya git a chance, Brother!

• Huskee
      Huskee commented
      Editing a comment
      W.A. Sephon dahcopilot Mr. Bones Sure thing guys....I can't find it (of course) but I emailed them asking for the code/invite whatever it is! I'll send it out as soon as I hear back.

• Huskee
      Huskee commented
      Editing a comment
      W.A. Mr. Bones dahcopilot Sephon Sorry guys I completely forgot about this! I emaled "Valerie" at Flaviar shortly after my promise to do so, and she said they don't have an actual referral system in place yet, but if any of you do sign up, if I tell her your name/email and she verifies you DID sign up, I get a pat on the back. SO...if any of you signed/sign up please let me know!

Well, Huskee they're supposed to be a healthy alternative to all the meat I eat, although no bean will ever make the grade for a true carnivore like myself. Not until we can reverse sear them without grillmarks. Hahaha.

I'll keep you posted.

Kathryn

Comment

• Mudkat
      Mudkat commented
      Editing a comment
      Don't forget to wrap them in bacon!

well i know which household to go to get my hot air balloons filled.

Comment

Beans beans, good for your heart, the more you eat, the more....well I’m sure you all know the rest. 😂
      Last edited by DWCowles; April 12, 2018, 12:31 PM.

Comment

• Mudkat
        Mudkat commented
        Editing a comment
        You smart?

• gcdmd
        gcdmd commented
        Editing a comment
        Mr. Bones Yes, but then you have to start out "Beans, beans, the musical fruit..."

I taught my grandson that version when he was about 11 or 12, and he loved it.

• Richard Chrz
        Richard Chrz commented
        Editing a comment
        Has to be probably one of the greater marketing moves ever made. Make a song that little boys, and old men will sing to each other, about farting. It’s like Sesame Street. Lol

Hahaha. I just knew I'd get a lot of hot air comments from you guys.

K.

Comment

• Steve R.
        Steve R. commented
        Editing a comment
        True story, my first thought was actually more like "First rule of Bean Club: we don't talk about Bean Club.  Second rule of Bean Club: we don't talk about Bean Club! " 😄

• ecowper
        ecowper commented
        Editing a comment
        Ironically, good beans, well cooked, do not cause me to have that problem.

I too am intrigued by the concept of heirloom bean varieties, but cannot attest to any experience in something that wasn't from a typical grocery store. Fzxdoc, you are embarking on a pioneering journey! Please enlighten us when you get your shipments!

Comment

Kathryn, you will now be known as the Bean Queen!
        Congratulations Your Highness of Beans!

Comment

I'm in a quarterly extra virgin olive oil club. I like it. I'd do a bean one too!

Comment

• RonB
            RonB commented
            Editing a comment
            There are soooo many jokes that spring to mind , but this is a family site, so I can't post 'em...

Well fzxdoc , if your husband is an accountant, he may take notice....

Comment

Beans have a shelf life of about 4 generations don't they? So it's not like you have to use them up or let them accumulate in the freezer. I think I have a bag of red beans in the pantry of about a year now waiting for me to get around to making the red beans and rice recipe I've been wanting to try.

Comment

• gcdmd
              gcdmd commented
              Editing a comment
              If you store them for too long they get so hard that no amount of boiling will tenderize them.

According to Steve Sando, the owner of Rancho Gordo, most dried beans in grocery stores are several years old. Fresher ones, like those from Rancho Gordo, don't need to be soaked before cooking and taste better than the old ones.

Most beans, even the years old ones, will probably sprout should you want to grow your own.

If you're a frugal person, you might go to a Mexican grocery store - they usually have a bulk bin with pinto beans in it. They turn over pretty quickly and they are much cheaper than bagged beans, or Rancho Gordo's. On the down side, these stores tend to only have pinto beans, so for other beans I'm still ordering from Rancho Gordo.

fzxdoc - please let us know how the club works out for you, I'm tempted but not quite ready to put my name on the waiting list.

Comment

I’ve ordered from Rancho Gordo a few times and really like their beans. Definitely superior to grocery store stuff. I didn’t realize they had a club, though. Not sure that will replace any of my wine clubs, though.

Comment

Katheryn - are you just eatin', or are you growin' too?

Comment

Sounds like a sweet deal. We definitely eat more beans in the winter, but I could really see some of these fresher beans being excellent with summer type salads! I’m definitely pursuing this,thanks for the info.

Comment

• Mr. Bones
                    Mr. Bones commented
                    Editing a comment
                    All kindsa Summer bean options out there, I grew up with many of these, Summertime treat!
                    Three bean was th most common, good stuff, Maynard!

Announcement

Collapse
                No announcement yet.
                Working...
                X
                false
                ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                false
                false
                {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                Yes
                ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here