Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Show Us What You're Cooking! (SUWYC) - Volume 22, Summer 2021

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Did a Prime 1 Tri-Tip SVGGG (sous vide at 131*F for 3 hours then seared on my gasser with the flat portion of my grill grates). Paired it with some garlic parmesan fettuccini with tomatoes and a vinegar slaw. Came out pretty good.

Click image for larger version

Name:	tri-tip 01.jpg
Views:	392
Size:	147.5 KB
ID:	1085490Click image for larger version

Name:	tri-tip 02.jpg
Views:	334
Size:	145.9 KB
ID:	1085491Click image for larger version

Name:	tri-tip 03.jpg
Views:	333
Size:	134.6 KB
ID:	1085492

Comment

• Huskee
      Huskee commented
      Editing a comment
      I was scrolling up from the bottom of the page, seen this, liked it immediately, then said to myself "gotta be Troutman here".

• treesmacker
      treesmacker commented
      Editing a comment
      Huskee The same happened to me - I start on latest page and scroll up...passed this bottom pic and guessed Troutman - he is just consistently that good! I can cook pretty well, but my presentation needs some work! Very nice work Mr. Fishy!

• Panhead John
      Panhead John commented
      Editing a comment
      A lot of people thought it was me. 🥸
      Last edited by Panhead John; September 2, 2021, 07:23 PM.

Wife surprised me for my birthday with a hog butchery class at Pendulum Fine Meats in Norfolk, VA. From the class, I was able to keep/purchase a couple of cuts and one was the pork brisket. You read that correctly. Cooked it up on the Grilla with apple and mesquite mix. A little bit of Bad byrons, mixed with brown sugar and black garlic. Holy cow (in this case, hog!); it was good eating. Recommend you stop by Pendulum if you get the chance; their hot dogs (made in house) are well worth the trip! Bacon is top notch and they make all kinds of sausage. Great stuff and a great experience.
    Attached Files

Comment

• jfmorris
      jfmorris commented
      Editing a comment
      That looks great!

I love pork brisket (pigsket)! I just wish it was a more readily available cut, and that they were bigger. I've got a couple in the freezer, and will have to pull one out to thaw for later in the week maybe...

• klflowers
      klflowers commented
      Editing a comment
      I have one in my freezer too. I need to make some time and get it out and cook it. Yours looks really good.

41 years ago today, I married the only girl I ever dated. She is still with me and believe me she is a Saint.

I made her dinner. Filet and shrimp with a butter sauce, roasted asparagus and smoked mashed potatoes.
    Attached Files

Comment

• Huskee
      Huskee commented
      Editing a comment
      Awesome! The story and the pics. My wife too is the only girl I every really dated once I grew up (not counting the teenager crushes & stuff)

• tbob4
      tbob4 commented
      Editing a comment
      Congrats! You have 7 years on me. It sure feels special.

• Mr. Bones
      Mr. Bones commented
      Editing a comment
      Congrats, not only on yer great cook, but also 41 years Anniversary!

Promised my 9 yr old daughter I’d make a batch of pork and chive dumplings. She promised she would help fold them. I kept my promise, she did not (she made three dumplings then bailed) Recipe from Woks of Life (but using store bought gyoza wrappers). Getting better at my pleating.

Name:	09CB380A-F5DD-471A-BEA9-9299F9962398.jpeg
Views:	316
Size:	125.6 KB
ID:	1085707

Comment

• shify
      shify commented
      Editing a comment
      STEbbq - I don’t but kind of wish I did. I agree they look cool. These dumplings were (and will be) pan fried

• fzxdoc
      fzxdoc commented
      Editing a comment
      Niiiiice.

• Huskee
      Huskee commented
      Editing a comment
      Oh Man! I regularly buy frozen Pot Stickers and I love them (guilty pleasure). I can only imagine how good homemade ones would be.

Got some prime short ribs, in this case cut extra short which is perfect for just the two of us. Made me work a bit as they were fairly different from one another in thickness so one finished about an hour ahead of the other. No problem, just had to juggle hold time a bit.

Name:	bronco short rib 01.jpg
Views:	354
Size:	129.4 KB
ID:	1085712Click image for larger version

Name:	bronco short rib 02.jpg
Views:	319
Size:	102.1 KB
ID:	1085713Click image for larger version

Name:	bronco short rib 03.jpg
Views:	308
Size:	105.8 KB
ID:	1085714Click image for larger version

Name:	bronco short rib 04.jpg
Views:	315
Size:	140.2 KB
ID:	1085715

Comment

• Uncle Bob
      Uncle Bob commented
      Editing a comment
      fzxdoc, Kathryn, I had this brilliant idea to help you convince hubby to embrace the wonders of fattier meats. I was going to suggest you have a custom T-shirt made to wear with the emblazoned message "Fat is Flavor". I mentioned it to my bride over dinner and she shook her head and said, "No....that's not something you suggest a woman wear." I said "Why not?" She muttered something about men being from Mars, women from Venus.......................whatever the heck that means............

• fzxdoc
      fzxdoc commented
      Editing a comment
      Uncle Bob ,

K.

• Mr. Bones
      Mr. Bones commented
      Editing a comment
      Way I've done heared it told: "Men are from Mars, Women wish they had stayed there!"

I had a small piece of pie dough left over from the cherry tarts I made last week, so I made a chicken pot pie tonight using Ree Drummond's recipe, (mostly ).

My wife's comment was "fantastic" so that makes the recipe a keeper.

Click image for larger version  Name:	20210830_184228[1].jpg Views:	0 Size:	1.17 MB ID:	1085725

Click image for larger version  Name:	20210830_184805[1].jpg Views:	0 Size:	1.31 MB ID:	1085726

Comment

• SheilaAnn
      SheilaAnn commented
      Editing a comment
      Funny, I have tried her recipe (to the letter) and was not that pleased. What did you change?

I find it funny when a recipe is online and a commenter says "I changed this and that and that and this, and I hated it". That’s why I always do a recipe as written first and then adjust to our tastes.

• RonB
      RonB commented
      Editing a comment
      SheilaAnn - I used two chicken breasts instead of a whole bird, so I had to downsize everything, and I wound up kinda winging the amounts. I also added diced potatoes to the filling 'cause we like taters in our pot pies. Other than that, I think I followed the recipe...

• fzxdoc
      fzxdoc commented
      Editing a comment
      SheilaAnn , I'm just like you. I try to follow a recipe as written, at least the first time around. If we like it, I may tweak things on the next go-round.

I usually find Ree Drummond's recipes so bland, but if RonB and his wife liked this pie, it must be something special. That said, one Ree Drummond recipe that my family really likes is her Funeral Potatoes.

Kathryn

Deep fried some fish with a walnut crust and some halloumi.

added some chili crisp, just for the halibut.

Name:	E9B9510C-2A22-4E7B-A2D1-F8BB9F48E64E.jpeg
Views:	336
Size:	212.5 KB
ID:	1085728

Comment

• Mr. Bones
      Mr. Bones commented
      Editing a comment
      just for the halibut.

Name:	BE1F1DB4-CD3A-4C95-9247-AEE56D6CA299.jpeg
Views:	316
Size:	304.6 KB
ID:	1085772

Smoke Chuckie Burnt Ends…

Comment

• Jfrosty27
      Jfrosty27 commented
      Editing a comment
      Always a winner. One of my faves

• tbob4
      tbob4 commented
      Editing a comment
      Great job!

• Mr. Bones
      Mr. Bones commented
      Editing a comment
      Out Chuckin Standin!!!!

Blackened Salmon along with Argentinian Red Shrimp! Love cast iron for searing! Seared salmon for about 3:00 min each side with 1 extra flip for about 1 min to get to temperature and 2:30 min each side for the shrimp over medium to medium high heat.
    Attached Files

Comment

• Michael_in_TX
      Michael_in_TX commented
      Editing a comment
      I love this. I love everything about this.

• Panhead John
      Panhead John commented
      Editing a comment
      Awesome, looks great!
      Red Man Here’s you some blackened salmon

• Mr. Bones
      Mr. Bones commented
      Editing a comment
      Reckon Justin Wilson, he be all kinda smilin down on this heah!

"Pulled Beef"….Smoked Chuck Roast with a little Mushroom & Onion braise! Smoked between 250 and 275 for about 3 hrs until I had the color I wanted (around 160 internal), placed in pans over sliced onions, mushrooms, and beef broth then covered with foil and kept on the smoker until meat was probe tender (took one to 210 internal and the other at 212). Key is to let them go until they are tender, not necessarily all by internal temps). Delicious!
    Attached Files

Comment

Man I see tri tip, shrimp, salmon and here I come with omelette, like a Debby Downer hahaha

Name:	PXL_20210831_030327779.jpg
Views:	313
Size:	153.5 KB
ID:	1085812Click image for larger version

Name:	PXL_20210831_030945115.jpg
Views:	297
Size:	270.5 KB
ID:	1085813

Comment

• SheilaAnn
        SheilaAnn commented
        Editing a comment
        Ernest I think your magically thin omelettes can double as a crepe! Love eggs stuffed with just about anything! (Except ketchup)

• willxfmr
        willxfmr commented
        Editing a comment
        Welcome to our world Friend. Don't worry it only stings the first fifty or so times.

• Mr. Bones
        Mr. Bones commented
        Editing a comment
        Reckon I'd trade yer omelette fer anything Ever offered up, in here, Brotherman!

Jus Sayin!!!

Took lunch to our facilities staff today after a long month of last-minute starts and adjustments at the college. Beef sandwiches and hot chicken sandwiches. Cauliflower salad. Baked beans. Festive salad.

Name:	IMG_20210829_161222.jpg
Views:	282
Size:	134.1 KB
ID:	1085841Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20210829_123312.jpg
Views:	290
Size:	124.6 KB
ID:	1085842Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20210829_123303.jpg
Views:	294
Size:	123.6 KB
ID:	1085839Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20210829_114920.jpg
Views:	305
Size:	91.9 KB
ID:	1085838Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20210829_121716.jpg
Views:	286
Size:	113.1 KB
ID:	1085840

Comment

• Bbqmikeg
        Bbqmikeg commented
        Editing a comment
        It all looks delicious! Have you ever snuck a can of apple pie filling into your beans?

• skipsdaughter
        skipsdaughter commented
        Editing a comment
        Bbqmikeg I've added peaches, but not apple pie filling -- I'll try that next!

• Mr. Bones
        Mr. Bones commented
        Editing a comment
        A veritable feast, Sister! Fine Job, that!

2.5 lbs of Click image for larger version

Name:	20977097-D1D5-4836-8EBD-E1E5EBBFFE04.jpeg
Views:	297
Size:	158.1 KB
ID:	1085844

curry-lime cashews

Name:	7A457634-1E4F-4995-B212-BF10D216930A.jpeg
Views:	290
Size:	191.8 KB
ID:	1085845

Comment

• fzxdoc
        fzxdoc commented
        Editing a comment
        That looks so tasty. Nice tumbler for the rotisserie too. You have some great toys.

K.

These are modified Moink Balls. Started with Cevapi (seasoned beef, pork, lamb), wrapped in home-smoked bacon and smoked in my Webber Bullet.
      Attached Files

Comment

• Huskee
        Huskee commented
        Editing a comment
        This is a great first post!

• willxfmr
        willxfmr commented
        Editing a comment
        That's a wonderful way to introduce yourself. I had never heard of Cevapi either, but a quick search told me I should learn more about it. Thanks for sharing!

• Mr. Bones
        Mr. Bones commented
        Editing a comment
        ¡Willkommen!

Did trout for lunch.....but wanted something different than my usual blackened or Korean style. I remembered someone suggested using mayonnaise as a binder for the seasonings so I gave it a try.

I heated up a cast iron skillet with some avocado oil to just under 500, then placed a dried (and unseasoned), trout filet in, skin side up. I let it go for 2 minutes and 30 seconds (probably could have gone an extra 30 seconds).

I then took the skillet off the heat and flipped the trout. I then covered it with about a tbl of mayonnaise -- probably should have used a bit less -- and then seasoned the filet with Paul Prudhomme's Magic Salmon seasoning.

I let it finish in a 325 F oven for ten minutes. (I keep the oven temp a little low due to all of the sugar in the rub.) Pulled it at 145 F.

This turned out quite good. There is an undeniable richness the mayo adds to the trout (and it tacked up nicely, and didn't run off) with a bit of "tang."

Served with steamed broccoli and covered with parmesan cheese:

Name:	IMG-4991.JPG
Views:	299
Size:	95.4 KB
ID:	1086025

Comment

• Mr. Bones
        Mr. Bones commented
        Editing a comment
        Duke's?
        Or did ya jus use mayo?

fzxdoc I'll havedta check Kewpie availability, locally... been wantin to try me some, since STCG pimps th ever-lovin Hail outta it,near bout as bad as I do my beloved Duke's

• fzxdoc
        fzxdoc commented
        Editing a comment
        I love Duke's too, Mr. Bones . But the Kewpie mayo is made with only egg yolks (instead of yolks and whites) and rice vinegar instead of white vinegar. It's richer with a more interesting flavor.

They sell an American version at our local grocery store, but I buy the Japanese version only because it tastes better.

I get it from https://www.kewpieshop.com/. They sell both the American and the Japanese brands. I also always toss in a bottle of their Deep Roasted Sesame Dressing. So good.

K.

• Michael_in_TX
        Michael_in_TX commented
        Editing a comment
        That is an excellent idea; I actually have some Kewpie mayo in the fridge. I've only used it once or twice, but I do think I prefer it....more tangy and flavor-forward than traditional American mayo.

Announcement

Collapse
    No announcement yet.
    Working...
    X
    false
    ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
    false
    false
    {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
    Yes
    ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
    /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here