Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Show Us What You're Cooking! (SUWYC) - Volume 22, Summer 2021

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

PBC always brings it home
    Attached Files

Comment

• glitchy
      glitchy commented
      Editing a comment
      Great looking cook, but I thought you were cleaning that PBC to sell it? BTW, what are you looking at for a pellet grill?

• jhapka
      jhapka commented
      Editing a comment
      glitchy once it was all cleaned up it made me want to cook on it. Plus, didn’t Have any photos of results so I figured having some pics of the food would help me sell it now that I’ve goofed the finish up. The GMG Trek keeps coming up in my search.

Thursday evening is no-dinner night around the house--everyone is on their own. This past Thursday I dusted up some wings with Kosmos Honey Killer Bee and some Killer Hogs BBQ rub. Gave them a spin with the vortex with a bit of apple wood. A mix of Newman Own Creamy Caesar and Franks Redhot served as the sauce. I think the rest of the household was jealous! Click image for larger version

Name:	Wings.jpeg
Views:	292
Size:	119.2 KB
ID:	1089063

Comment

• HawkerXP
      HawkerXP commented
      Editing a comment
      I am!

I have reverted back to my awful picture taking…. But I SVQ’d a small shoulder rubbed with Oakridge Chicken/Pork Rub (the gold package). Slaw made with red cabbage because that’s what I have from CSA. Hawaiian Rolls. I made Meathead Lexington Dip Sauce. So tasty!!!!

PHJ Serviceware.
    Click image for larger version

Name:	EBC5869A-FB31-44D5-8EE2-3F0D06C4B87A.jpeg
Views:	307
Size:	89.4 KB
ID:	1089078

Comment

• Panhead John
      Panhead John commented
      Editing a comment
      Looks good to me! Appreciate the shoutout. I’m gonna be sending you a set of my newest Platinum Line as a show of appreciation. 🥸

White sauce, goat cheese, roasted patty pan squash, zucchini, parmesan-regganio, red pepper flakes, pepper, and spicy Italian sausage.

Click image for larger version  Name:	Resizer_16308964159550.jpg Views:	0 Size:	2.54 MB ID:	1089087

Click image for larger version  Name:	Resizer_16308964159551.jpg Views:	0 Size:	2.01 MB ID:	1089088

Click image for larger version  Name:	Resizer_16308964159552.jpg Views:	0 Size:	3.82 MB ID:	1089089

Click image for larger version  Name:	Resizer_16308964159553.jpg Views:	0 Size:	2.13 MB ID:	1089086

Click image for larger version  Name:	Resizer_16308964159554.jpg Views:	0 Size:	2.63 MB ID:	1089090

Comment

• Attjack
      Attjack commented
      Editing a comment
      Dr. Pepper good guess I am using Forkish recipes. That dough was the 24-48 hour dough. Today my girlfriend will make a double batch of the NY pizza dough. I also use his basic pizza sauce recipe. I just made some and portioned it out for freezing.

• jfmorris
      jfmorris commented
      Editing a comment
      Cooks like this make me want a propane pizza oven. It would be so much faster to setup than the kettle or especially the kamado. It takes me an hour to get the kamado up to the 600 degrees or thereabouts I like to make my pizzas at.

• Attjack
      Attjack commented
      Editing a comment
      jfmorris I use a kettle for pizza at the cabin and I can tell you the difference is night and day. It's fun to make kettle pizza but it takes more time, more work, and the results don't really compare. Never tried a kamado pizza though.

I came here in 2018 being afraid of brisket. Thanks to you brisket is now my favorite cook. 19 lb Kroger Choice. Black Ops rub. Six hour cook at 275-325 F. No crutch. Delightful meal with my family.

Name:	20210905_191005.jpg
Views:	270
Size:	185.2 KB
ID:	1089110Click image for larger version

Name:	20210905_192139.jpg
Views:	268
Size:	101.0 KB
ID:	1089111

Comment

• STEbbq
      STEbbq commented
      Editing a comment
      Good work!! I'd gobble it down.

• jfmorris
      jfmorris commented
      Editing a comment
      Looks amazing! I took 15 hours to do the same job with a 21 pound choice packer from Kroger over the weekend, but mostly because I went to bed with the fire at 225, and woke up at 4am when the alarm told me the kamado was below 200. I cranked it up to 325 and got it done in about 3-4 more hours. I only ran 225 because of timing, otherwise I've been running 275 to 300 these days.

• mrteddyprincess
      mrteddyprincess commented
      Editing a comment
      jfmorris I am no timing snob. There are many ways to cook a brisket and what you mention sounds and looks delicious!!! I think we are on the same page with hot and fast being effective.

Here's the finish on yesterday's brisket. The Smoke alarm went off a 4am, informing me that the pit temp had dropped below 200F. And the meat, which had been around 159F at bedtime, had dropped to about 149F! Out to the backyard, tweaked some vents, after ensuring the SNS Kamado had plenty of fuel, and woke up again at 7AM to find the temp of the cooker at 325F, and the brisket around 175F. I wrapped it in foil, and at 8:30am it was 205F where my probe was in the flat, probed pretty tender throughout (it was USDA choice), and I let it sit for about 15 minutes to cool slightly, then into cambro it went until 1PM and lunch time.

Interestingly, it shrank in length several inches during the cook, and had much more clearance on the grate than when it started.

Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_6054.JPEG Views:	0 Size:	1.37 MB ID:	1089139
    Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_6061.JPEG Views:	0 Size:	1.34 MB ID:	1089138Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_6063.JPEG Views:	0 Size:	854.0 KB ID:	1089136

And I am not sure this was Panhead John approved china and drinking ware, or not...

Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_6066.JPEG Views:	0 Size:	814.4 KB ID:	1089137

I will say that this Kroger 21 pound choice brisket that I got back in June for $1.99 a pound surprised me by how good it was. I did notice less smoke ring than I normally would see when doing brisket on the offset or the kettle + SNS. I attribute it to very low airflow for the first 12 hours of the cook, with the kamado vents set almost closed (top and bottom around 1). The smoke flavor was just fine though IMO and no one complained, even my son in law who's 29th birthday we were celebrating. I also noticed no ill effects from the big ramp in temp to 325F for the final 3-4 hours of the cook. It got it done and into cambro on schedule, and 4.5 hours in cambro tenderized it quite well.
    Last edited by jfmorris; September 5, 2021, 10:15 PM.

Comment

• fzxdoc
      fzxdoc commented
      Editing a comment
      The first couple of kamado cooks on my WSCGC also evidenced a puny smoke ring. I started adding twice as many wood chunks (from 2-3 to 4-6) and get beautiful smoke rings ever since. Just FWIW.

Kathryn

• jfmorris
      jfmorris commented
      Editing a comment
      fzxdoc Thanks Kathryn! I'll probably add more wood next time. Do you bury them in the charcoal, or put them on top of the charcoal before placing the heat deflector?

I was GOING to run this cook with the SNS installed, but the brisket was so big it would have covered every square inch of the cooking grate not over the SNS, and I felt airflow to the bottom side would be restricted. Plus I wouldn't have a place for a grate level air probe, so went for the kamado mode instead.

• fzxdoc
      fzxdoc commented
      Editing a comment
      I put the wood chips on top, Jim, nestled in just a half an inch or so. The last chunks that I bought from www.fruitawood.com are much larger than what I have been getting from them over the years, so I've been chopping them in half.

K.

So when you have brisket for lunch, there's not much better than brisket burnt ends for dinner! We had birthday cake and homemade ice cream around 6pm, and followed it with the burnt ends, distributed right off the grill onto paper plates...

I reset the SNS Kamado to SNS mode for these, after scooping some leftover smoldering coals out of the bottom and into a galvanized bucket.

Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_6086.JPEG Views:	3 Size:	949.0 KB ID:	1089144Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_6090.JPEG Views:	3 Size:	1.03 MB ID:	1089145

Right as I was bringing the burnt ends out to put on the kamado, it started raining. This was one time I was grateful that the SNS Kamado has nice casters on it, and I was able to wedge it in next to the Campchef and out of the rain....

Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_6084.JPEG Views:	3 Size:	1.27 MB ID:	1089146
    Last edited by jfmorris; September 5, 2021, 10:12 PM.

Comment

• jfmorris
      jfmorris commented
      Editing a comment
      Troutman I’ve got left over burnt ends as well as left over flat, so we may do some tacos tomorrow as well.

• SheilaAnn
      SheilaAnn commented
      Editing a comment
      When I win September….. based on your love for the SnS Kamado, I will most likely choose it!

Oh. I need those burnt ends! I can only aspire to creating that goodness.

• jfmorris
      jfmorris commented
      Editing a comment
      SheilaAnn those burnt ends are easy as can be. Just cube up the point, toss on some additional dry rub for the sides that were "inside" the meat, and brown in a skillet for a bit, to give the cut faces some color. Then into a pan, drizzle with BBQ sauce, sprinkle with brown sugar, then put some pats of butter around in the pan, and into the oven or the smoker at 225 for an hour or so, until everything is melted and starting to bubble.

Three racks of Creekstone Farms St. Louis cut Duroc Spares. Dry brined/rubbed with Meathead 's Amazing Smoked Pork Rub (Amazing Rubs?) and cooked on the Smoke Vault with hickory and apple wood. Very impressed with MH's new rub! Great flavor that nicely complements the pork without overpowering it. Can't wait to try the other two flavors.

Click image for larger version  Name:	PXL_20210905_182835234.jpg Views:	34 Size:	5.72 MB ID:	1089179
    Click image for larger version  Name:	PXL_20210906_014434248.jpg Views:	35 Size:	4.70 MB ID:	1089180
    Last edited by theroc; September 6, 2021, 09:40 AM.

Comment

Pulled pork, Collard greens, first attempt at homemade baked beans and scratch made buttermilk biscuits.

Name:	20210905_175105.jpg
Views:	269
Size:	221.6 KB
ID:	1089205

Comment

• smokin fool
        smokin fool commented
        Editing a comment
        My two magic words, beanz and biscuits
        Perfect meal.

Name:	20210905_124836.jpg
Views:	283
Size:	76.6 KB
ID:	1089214
      I had our Butcher saw a Turkey in half while it was still frozen. Yesterday I smoked it on the LSG. It turned out good. Sandwiches for the next few days at our house.

Comment

• smokin fool
        smokin fool commented
        Editing a comment
        All in on that effort, nice job.

• Skip
        Skip commented
        Editing a comment
        Thank you for the kind words Guys. It was my grocery store Butcher who is a good friend that cut it in half while still frozen. He was happy to do it as long as he could do it at the end of the day...just before clean up. My inspiration to do this was a couple of years ago I spatchcocked a Turkey and that was the best turkey I've ever done. I still have the other half in the freezer so I'll "practice" again in the near future.

• Bbqmikeg
        Bbqmikeg commented
        Editing a comment
        We used to cut turkeys on the saw back when they had metal leg clips. The last little bit we just wedged apart so things didn’t get all sparky. That was back when it was legal to smoke cigarettes in the cutting room.

Click image for larger version  Name:	D6B80038-A910-415F-990B-F32D65338B30.jpeg Views:	0 Size:	4.45 MB ID:	1089217Click image for larger version  Name:	A6EB8FA9-587C-417F-9463-FDC2FD0B74A1.jpeg Views:	0 Size:	4.84 MB ID:	1089218

A couple of nice thick pork chops with Veteran's BBQ mustard sauce. Click image for larger version  Name:	3BF9C3AA-A53E-46CE-A15F-EDA39B543E05.jpeg Views:	0 Size:	3.03 MB ID:	1089216
      Last edited by HawkerXP; September 7, 2021, 01:37 PM.

Comment

• Dr. Pepper
        Dr. Pepper commented
        Editing a comment
        I see you've switched up beer warmers, HawkerXP I personally prefer the beer flavor profile from the kettle.

For lunch…a neighborhood get-together.

Name:	E3971AF4-9D52-4544-B9B2-C0B21BC4F952.jpeg
Views:	247
Size:	265.5 KB
ID:	1089363Click image for larger version

Name:	C261ED80-9E85-49A0-921B-22FBF1B344D0.jpeg
Views:	247
Size:	249.8 KB
ID:	1089364

Comment

• HawkerXP
        HawkerXP commented
        Editing a comment
        What time neighbor?

• treesmacker
        treesmacker commented
        Editing a comment
        Oh, that BARK!

Cast Iron Chocolate Lava Cake! Insanely delicious! Recipe at https://youtu.be/rD-8HV_pjlQ
      Attached Files

Comment

• tbob4
        tbob4 commented
        Editing a comment
        Do I give thumbs up or down? It looks delicious but I haven’t had dinner yet. I’m starving now and want to skip protein

Drunken Mussels with Grilled Shrimp! Inspired by Chef John at https://youtu.be/S4z2gmtUzHE
      Attached Files

Comment

Nothing fancy today. Made sure all 3 grills got some attention this weekend using 2 at a time yesterday and today. Late last night I lit some coals and threw a pork butt on Sparky. When it was about done, mixed up STCG’s Hatch, Cheddar, Bacon cornbread and baked on McNapper.
      Attached Files

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
      No announcement yet.
      Working...
      X
      false
      ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
      false
      false
      {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
      Yes
      ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
      /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here