Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Show Us What You're Cooking! (SUWYC) - Volume 22, Summer 2021

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Honey Butter Turkey Breast! https://youtu.be/ek5PBL9OR9M
    Attached Files

Comment

• Troutman
      Troutman commented
      Editing a comment
      I like that Riles Honey Chipotle rub, good on all types of pork!!

Accidently made my best ribs yet.

Just ordered some new rubs, so needed to make room. Had 3 spices/rubs that were almost gone so combined them. Roughly 50/50 ranch powder and zatarins combined and a few tbs of hard-core carnivore black and a dash of cumin.

Prepped these ribs the other night, rubbed with the above, and then in the fridge.

The rest is typical no wrap low and slow procedure. Glazed with blues hog and a temp increase in the last hour.

Click image for larger version  Name:	20210906_094531.jpg Views:	0 Size:	3.05 MB ID:	1089583
    Click image for larger version  Name:	20210906_141801.jpg Views:	0 Size:	3.31 MB ID:	1089582Click image for larger version  Name:	20210906_142240.jpg Views:	0 Size:	2.98 MB ID:	1089581Click image for larger version  Name:	20210906_165559.jpg Views:	0 Size:	2.57 MB ID:	1089580Click image for larger version  Name:	20210906_171508.jpg Views:	0 Size:	2.14 MB ID:	1089579

Wife is making something with green onion, so I stole some scraps from her. The additional random crunch was a welcome addition.
    Last edited by ItsAllGoneToTheDogs; September 6, 2021, 04:01 PM.

Comment

• ItsAllGoneToTheDogs
      ItsAllGoneToTheDogs commented
      Editing a comment
      Panhead John I mean it had to be done, everyone with their fancy ribs and chives or green onion and here's my wife throwing away those parts just as I was slicing the ribs.

• ItsAllGoneToTheDogs
      ItsAllGoneToTheDogs commented
      Editing a comment
      So shared the leftovers at work, was confronted with "my best ribs ever" being lofty... followed by "yeah, these are amazing"

• treesmacker
      treesmacker commented
      Editing a comment
      They look fantastic! That last pic - oh my!

Click image for larger version

Name:	3E7BFCE3-9324-420C-A232-D6AE7DB38AE9.jpeg
Views:	326
Size:	132.9 KB
ID:	1089612 One of my all-time favorite dishes is a take on a southern dish, instead of shrimp and grits, we do pulled pork, greens and smoked cheese grits.

I used Chris Lilly’s recipe for the grits, always a hit. Smoked the 6lbs butt and pulled after a paper wrap through the stall at internal of 203F, probed like butter. Not my best pork butt, but tasty nonetheless.

Used my SnS in the Weber Summit, cherry and pecan wood were the lucky ones today.

Attached Files

Comment

• SheilaAnn
      SheilaAnn commented
      Editing a comment
      I was so taken by this, that I riffed on it tonight. I had leftover pulled pork and made my own cheesy grits. Luckily I had more of Meathead Lexington dip sauce!

• Troutman
      Troutman commented
      Editing a comment
      Wow, impressive 👍

• treesmacker
      treesmacker commented
      Editing a comment
      Great job! I'm always looking for more ways to use pulled pork, especially because I quite often do a shoulder and freeze large batches. This hasta be a winner! I'm gonna do it!

Joining in on the multi-rub party. Dry brined this 6.5 lb pork butt overnight and then hit with cooking spray and a layer of Flatiron Pepper Company Dark and Smokey rub. Topped that with good old Hank's KC Royale. Wow. Just incredible bark on this one with great taste. Served up with zucchini grilled with a dusting of KC Royale.

Name:	2021-09-06 14.53.19.jpg
Views:	265
Size:	172.5 KB
ID:	1089621

Name:	2021-09-06 17.38.07.jpg
Views:	271
Size:	157.7 KB
ID:	1089622

Name:	2021-09-06 17.45.36 (2).jpg
Views:	294
Size:	156.4 KB
ID:	1089620

Comment

• RichieB
      RichieB commented
      Editing a comment
      Jim White looks fantastic! How was the heat with the F.I. Rub?

• Jim White
      Jim White commented
      Editing a comment
      RichieB Thanks. The heat level was not all that high at all. Next time I'll probably go even heavier with it before adding the KC Royale. But this combo is definitely happening again.

• treesmacker
      treesmacker commented
      Editing a comment
      Perfect!

Name:	A860D418-6A46-4A24-9065-D1755013F6F3.jpeg
Views:	287
Size:	113.5 KB
ID:	1089632Click image for larger version

Name:	569A61A6-EFBA-4875-BA99-C0D4718F351F.jpeg
Views:	266
Size:	153.7 KB
ID:	1089633Click image for larger version

Name:	FA218436-E5F0-4636-B264-48D077654795.jpeg
Views:	267
Size:	144.4 KB
ID:	1089635Click image for larger version

Name:	850A7142-3E4A-4965-9F48-04F9FD576958.jpeg
Views:	270
Size:	104.7 KB
ID:	1089634 SV lobster tails from Lobsteranywhere .com

These were giant 20-22 oz tails. I removed the meat from the shells, bagged with a stick of butter, then into the pool @139* for one hour and fifteen minutes. Used the purge for dipping. Steamed veggies on the side. So easy and so good.

Comment

• Charley Langer
      Charley Langer commented
      Editing a comment
      That’s the way I like to do lobster also, but I prefer a slightly lower temp and length of cook. But so amazingly delicious. Michelin Star food, baby!!

My wife doesn't eat much red meat, and I don't eat much seafood, so when she said she was gonna have salmon tonight, I bought a steak.

I hope you proplr aren't gettin' tired of my steak posts...

Click image for larger version  Name:	20210906_175637[1].jpg Views:	0 Size:	1.90 MB ID:	1089650

Click image for larger version  Name:	20210906_182825[1].jpg Views:	0 Size:	2.50 MB ID:	1089648

Click image for larger version  Name:	20210906_183134[1].jpg Views:	0 Size:	612.5 KB ID:	1089649

Comment

• STEbbq
      STEbbq commented
      Editing a comment
      I thought we were gonna try shark steak for a second there.

• HawkerXP
      HawkerXP commented
      Editing a comment
      What happened to the shrimp?

• RonB
      RonB commented
      Editing a comment
      HawkerXP - I ran out of grits...

Simple dinner tonight, some Alaskan Sockeye. I marvel, sometimes, at the variety of posts regarding cooking salmon. Some seem to believe that it is only prepared as smoked, others only as grilled, and rarely is the distinction made. Some seemingly load it with toppings, others prefer simple prep. I don't dislike smoked, with a 40 year stretch of living in the Seattle area in my background I think I've had salmon prepared just about every way possible. One outcome of that life experience though is I don't have a very high regard for farm raised (typically Atlantic version) as it lacks the flavorful oils of the wild caught Pacific variety.

We are in the grilled, simple prep camp. I do a light marinade of olive oil and soy with a shot of lime juice and dill weed. For cooking I prefer charcoal over the alternatives with a couple chunks of Alder wood (that Northwest influence again) for smoke flavor, admittedly light with grilling time. I prefer to put a fairly hard sear on the flesh side first and then flip it to the skin side to maintain shape integrity for presentation. This pic is of the two pieces resting having just come in off the grill. Served on a bed of sautéed greens and topped with a small dollop of home made jalapeno jam..........yum!

Name:	Ram salm.jpg
Views:	296
Size:	120.1 KB
ID:	1089661

Comment

• SheilaAnn
      SheilaAnn commented
      Editing a comment
      Nice! The jalapeño jam sounds fun!

• Andrrr
      Andrrr commented
      Editing a comment
      Looks perfect! So what are the pacific variety of salmon? Being here in WI I doubt I’ve ever had the opportunity to eat some but I’ll definitely keep my eye out for some.

• Uncle Bob
      Uncle Bob commented
      Editing a comment
      Andrrr the three most common are Sockeye, Coho, and King, though a lesser grade called Keta is creeping into the market because it's cheaper due to lack of desirability. In the spring a run of salmon known as "Copper River" (region specific Sockeye mostly) come to market at a premium because they tend to have an even richer flavor than the rest of the run.

Simple dinner. Smoked pork ribs. Honestly, this is the easiest thing to do but if you get good ribs it's just killer taste.

Ribs from Jack Mountain which is a butcher around here that sources locally. No info on the breed, but I'm betting Berkshire or Berkshire cross. Rubbed with Killer Hog The BBQ Rub right before tossing them on.

Two hours in:

Name:	IMG_0728.jpeg
Views:	274
Size:	131.1 KB
ID:	1089674

4 Hours in. Pulled them off about 30 minutes later:

Name:	IMG_0729.jpeg
Views:	251
Size:	66.2 KB
ID:	1089675

Comment

• Troutman
      Troutman commented
      Editing a comment
      Good color on those Rick. What is your source?

• Red Man
      Red Man commented
      Editing a comment
      I love Jack Mountain! You should try their rustic chops, best pork chops I’ve ever had!

Troutman I don’t think you can source it online. They’re a small pork producer in Skagit County Washington.
      Last edited by Red Man; September 6, 2021, 06:40 PM.

• rickgregory
      rickgregory commented
      Editing a comment
      Troutman. https://jackmountainmeats.com is their site. I get them from Haggens. They're tasty but I don't know how they'd stack up against Porter Road etc. I grabbed these because of ecowper post on the duroc ribs he had recently.

Red Man Next time I get over there I will. I've got chops from Olsen Farms that I need to thaw and try too https://www.olsenfarms.com
      Last edited by rickgregory; September 6, 2021, 06:58 PM.

Crispy hen of the woods mushrooms over homemade marinara with parm, and a broccoli pistachio salad with lemon dressing on the side

Attached Files

Comment

Well, now I know what I’ve been missing out on all these years without a griddle. I just bought one for the kettle last week and decided to try it out tonight. I recently bought a 17” propane Blackstone but had to return it, due to the amount of space it would take in my garage. Anyway, I did a pretty easy and basic "stir fry" on it, and it turned out pretty darn good. Cubed some CAB sirloin and mixed it with green, red and yellow onions, bell pepper, tomatoes, mushrooms and a fresh sliced jalapeño with seeds intact. Marinated it for a while in Good Seasons Italian Dressing. Turned out pretty good for my first time using it. Troutman watch your back….pretty soon people will be confusing my cooks for yours! 🙄

Attached Files
      Last edited by Panhead John; September 6, 2021, 07:08 PM.

Comment

• jfmorris
        jfmorris commented
        Editing a comment
        I'll give a griddling tip - start your veggies first, and separate from the meat. I.e. don't mix them up before cooking. That way you can control the doneness of each, and combine on the griddle at the end of the cook. I like to start the onions and garlic first, then add other veggies a few minutes later, and put the meat down in a separate zone of the griddle about that same time. Once the meat is medium-rare or sufficiently brown, rake it all together, and voila!

• Panhead John
        Panhead John commented
        Editing a comment
        jfmorris It’s made by OnlyFire

• Troutman
        Troutman commented
        Editing a comment
        Wow John You’re really cooking in the house! Looks good enough for an invite but I seemed to have missed mine. Had the Coors Light on ice and everything 🍺

That Burger did not stand a chance!!!!

Name:	PXL_20210907_011846240.jpg
Views:	264
Size:	182.6 KB
ID:	1089726

Comment

• Charley Langer
        Charley Langer commented
        Editing a comment
        Holy Moly!! 😋

• tamidw
        tamidw commented
        Editing a comment
        Burger looks great, but those fries look larger than life! I love french fries.

• Attjack
        Attjack commented
        Editing a comment
        Those fries though

You guys said Pics or it didn't happen, well here it is, my first smoked pork butt.

33 hr. dry brine.

13 hr. Smoke

I had guests over so I had to raise the temp and do the Texas Crutch.
      Attached Files

Comment

• Draznnl
        Draznnl commented
        Editing a comment
        Looks great. Congrats on a very nice job.

• Mr. Bones
        Mr. Bones commented
        Editing a comment
        Way To ROCK IT, Brother!!!!

Ya Done Jus Fine!!!!

• Andrrr
        Andrrr commented
        Editing a comment
        And here’s to many more! It feels good to get the first one under your belt.

One rack of SLC and one BB. Meathead’s pork rub on both. No sauce on the SLC and Black Swan Beso del Fuego on the BB.

Name:	F5946F3B-E418-4003-96B6-442AEE78876B.jpeg
Views:	247
Size:	207.3 KB
ID:	1089778Click image for larger version

Name:	E2A97B2E-8C35-418C-B0F4-259EA93E2652.jpeg
Views:	247
Size:	181.0 KB
ID:	1089780Click image for larger version

Name:	2F6FE974-61CB-437B-91FF-1CDC99D4F2E6.jpeg
Views:	243
Size:	181.1 KB
ID:	1089782Click image for larger version

Name:	9EDACD1B-3987-47C6-82A4-FAFBF832011A.jpeg
Views:	246
Size:	171.5 KB
ID:	1089781Click image for larger version

Name:	202838DA-5321-4471-9A3B-FEC16A3926FC.jpeg
Views:	252
Size:	195.8 KB
ID:	1089779Click image for larger version

Name:	3FBED426-3651-4F5F-AED2-7506000508F6.jpeg
Views:	264
Size:	175.2 KB
ID:	1089777

Comment

• Charley Langer
        Charley Langer commented
        Editing a comment
        I bow before you. Beautiful cook and pics!!

• Andrrr
        Andrrr commented
        Editing a comment
        Well, what’s the verdict?

• Red Man
        Red Man commented
        Editing a comment
        Andrrr The rub? I really like it. On ribs, I’d say it’s pretty much the same as mmd. I feel like on a shorter cook, like a pork loin, I’d be able to taste the difference between the rub and mmd.

Brisket tacos

Name:	Resizer_16309853294170.jpg
Size:	281.1 KB
ID:	1089827

Name:	Resizer_16309853294171.jpg
Views:	244
Size:	345.0 KB
ID:	1089828

Comment

• theroc
        theroc commented
        Editing a comment
        Brilliant

• Dr. Pepper
        Dr. Pepper commented
        Editing a comment
        We're coming over for lunch!

Beer brats, the Meathead way. Fantastic and easy Labor Day meal. Click image for larger version

Name:	260E883D-A181-4E84-A579-794B39932DB8.jpeg
Views:	249
Size:	97.6 KB
ID:	1089839Click image for larger version

Name:	E2A1068B-58E8-40FD-88CB-AB7966CE18DE.jpeg
Size:	184.5 KB
ID:	1089840

Comment

• Andrrr
        Andrrr commented
        Editing a comment
        Given where I’m from I’ve been hesitant to try this, and I’m not sure if it’s because its sacrilegious or that I might like it better than what I do now. It’s time to swallow my pride and give it a shot. Those look great.

Announcement

Collapse
    No announcement yet.
    Working...
    X
    false
    ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
    false
    false
    {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
    Yes
    ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
    /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here