Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Show Us What You're Cooking! (SUWYC) - Volume 22, Summer 2021

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Click image for larger version

Name:	20210814_191528.jpg
Views:	286
Size:	24.0 KB
ID:	1077575
    Hadn't made pizza for a while so... Roberta's Dough Recipe, my own sauce with tomatoes from the garden and topped with fresh basil also from the garden.

Comment

I have no pictures but I had a great day cooking yesterday with friends. We made Pork Belly burnt ends on a PBC, then Pig shots on the kettle, Lolli-popped chicken legs on the other PBC. And from the sea we had 7 dozen oysters, and 3 dozen steam mussels. What a great day by the pool and grill/smokers.

I was kinda bummed this morning when I realized I did not take any pictures at all, but then I realized I had my phone down the whole day and I simply enjoyed cooking and spending time with good people and good food........what a great feeling. Sometimes we just need to slow down grill and enjoy those that are around us. Yesterday, that was enough.

Keep the smoke rollin'.

Comment

• Henrik
        Henrik commented
        Editing a comment
        So true!

• Dr. Pepper
        Dr. Pepper commented
        Editing a comment
        And, you've got to love those North Shore Lake Superior oysters!

Thanks to Spinaker I did some Elotes the other day. I cook them with the husk still on for 20 minutes at 150-160° C / 300-320° F to 'steam' them with their own moisture. I've done this a dozen times, always a big hit.
      Then sear them for a minute or two to bring out that nutty flavor. Brush with the cheese 'sauce' and enjoy!

Corn on high indirect heat

Name:	elotes_grill.jpg
Views:	285
Size:	154.3 KB
ID:	1077644

Ready for some searing

Name:	elotes_sear.jpg
Views:	278
Size:	134.3 KB
ID:	1077645

Time to serve!

Name:	elotes.jpg
Views:	276
Size:	153.0 KB
ID:	1077646

Comment

• Troutman
        Troutman commented
        Editing a comment
        Just did some last night myself. They are wonderful !!

• Spinaker
        Spinaker commented
        Editing a comment
        These are so good!!!! Great video too!

• Henrik
        Henrik commented
        Editing a comment
        Thank you, friends!

Looks delicious

Comment

• Henrik
        Henrik commented
        Editing a comment
        Thanks!

Hatch Chile-Tomatillo Salsa - first time on the grill… game changer. And some of the hatch chiles were hot hot hot! So we have a spicy batch.
      Click image for larger version  Name:	DA5029A3-D929-4DF5-BE67-A58393791B4C.jpeg Views:	32 Size:	162.1 KB ID:	1077670

Click image for larger version  Name:	4EB847B1-623F-420F-BB96-540D46FE33C1.jpeg Views:	32 Size:	174.1 KB ID:	1077671

Click image for larger version  Name:	0922006E-C9A2-4BDE-B6B4-DEC513BA6E14.jpeg Views:	32 Size:	112.6 KB ID:	1077668
      Click image for larger version  Name:	BBADC5F1-0C1D-4ABA-B382-9DB875F810B2.jpeg Views:	33 Size:	145.6 KB ID:	1077669
      Attached Files
      Last edited by SheilaAnn; August 15, 2021, 03:17 PM.

Comment

• Troutman
        Troutman commented
        Editing a comment
        Oh sorry didn’t see the last pic previously. Love some hatch salsa verde 👍👍

• SheilaAnn
        SheilaAnn commented
        Editing a comment
        Troutman that’s because I added it when I saw your comment. 🤣🍻
        Duh….. I did not put up a picture of the finished product!

• Spinaker
        Spinaker commented
        Editing a comment
        Oh wow. I need to get my hands on some of these hatch chilies. There is nothing like these grilled peppers. Game Changer indeed.

Wife working through Kenji Lopez-Alt's The Food Lab. Last night, we did a 2.5 inch prime cowboy chop from Wegman's per the recipe at pp. 323-324 on how to cook thick beef. My cook-note cheat card as edited says - Full chimney. Form a VEE with the Weber coal baskets and dump coals when ready. Mound them sloping down from the VEE. INDIRECT w/lid closed about 1/2 hour turning, flipping every five minutes or so until internal temp hits 115. Started w/bone side toward coals about five inches from bottom edge. When it hits 115, knock ash off coals, remound and level and DIRECT SEAR [edit - w/lid open] for about five minutes or to internal temp of 120. DO NOT FORGET to hold chop on edge so edge gets some browning. Rest. Temp was 125.

EDIT - forgot to mention it got rubbed with fresh coarse pepper and Kosher salt then sat in fridge on an aluminum tray for 15 hours. NO other seasoning, and no wood chunks added.

Check picture for how well this technique works for evenly cooking. Preceded with Cynar Manhattans w/ deviled eggs, accompanied with artichokes and corn on the cob and Coppola Claret, followed by homemade poppy seed lemon cake with homemade cherry ice cream.

Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_1271.JPG Views:	0 Size:	851.2 KB ID:	1077681Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_1273.JPG Views:	0 Size:	730.5 KB ID:	1077682
      Last edited by Harry; August 15, 2021, 11:15 AM.

Comment

• Dr. Pepper
        Dr. Pepper commented
        Editing a comment
        Perfection! I was going to say job well done, but will edit that to 'job medium rare done!'

• SheilaAnn
        SheilaAnn commented
        Editing a comment
        My invite got lost, huh?

Sounds amazing! Coppola Claret does not disappoint. Fine looking cook. Great sounding dinner!

• fzxdoc
        fzxdoc commented
        Editing a comment
        Sounds like the perfect dinner with an uber-perfect steak. Congrats!

Kathryn

Finally found ribs for a price I could live with today so on they went with mayo for a binder, my dry rub and the usual coupla shakes of Hogwaller
      Smoking on Jealous Devil with pecan chunks and some left over hickory chips
      See how the old BKK behaves today
      Attached Files

Comment

• Spinaker
        Spinaker commented
        Editing a comment
        How do you like that Jealous Devil lump?

• smokin fool
        smokin fool commented
        Editing a comment
        @Spinacker I really like it. After buying Royal Oak because it was the cheapest I find JD more economical in the long run. RO cooks down to ash after dampening while I get more than one cook with augmentation. Consistent heat, don't seem to get the yoyo temps of RO. Good lump size and much heavier than RO. There is a different taste to it than RO. Thanks to klflowers for being a great secret Santa and opening my eyes.

Smoked some spare ribs and chicken on my offset smoker last night. Good meal!
      Attached Files
      Last edited by sfarbic; August 15, 2021, 12:03 PM.

Comment

• Spinaker
        Spinaker commented
        Editing a comment
        Nice! What kind of offset do you have?

I made some sourdough last week with a new starter that I made. It came out great. We made some ham and cheese melts with it for lunch over a cast iron skillet on the grill. Probably one the best sandwiches that I have ever eaten.
      Attached Files

Comment

• Henrik
        Henrik commented
        Editing a comment
        Beautiful!!

• ofelles
        ofelles commented
        Editing a comment
        Hey, I'm not that far away......leftovers?

Been craving a bar burger lately. Fired up the 22 kettle.

Name:	D4229619-A3E2-4EA3-9818-14C068F589B6.jpeg
Views:	255
Size:	332.8 KB
ID:	1077795

Name:	EA9BA1DF-CBE2-46BF-8D49-9D7B51BA6629.jpeg
Views:	257
Size:	157.2 KB
ID:	1077794

Comment

• Henrik
        Henrik commented
        Editing a comment
        Nice! That beer is one of my absolute favorites, and has been for years. Cheers!

• Ernest
        Ernest commented
        Editing a comment
        Are those fries dredged in something?

Burger looks great, but tell us about the fries - please. Edit to add Richard Chrz
      Last edited by RonB; August 15, 2021, 03:34 PM.

Comment

• Panhead John
        Panhead John commented
        Editing a comment
        I’m serious, as good as the burger looked I couldn’t take my eyes off the fries. I’ve got to try that! What kind of potatos?

• RonB
        RonB commented
        Editing a comment
        Panhead John - russets.

• Mr. Bones
        Mr. Bones commented
        Editing a comment
        Russets=Universal 'Taters', here...

Finished ribs came out really well, got them probe tender plus another 40mins or so then sauced them up for another 20.
      Nice mix of pull of the bone and put up a little fight. This cook was a winner.

Attached Files

Comment

• Panhead John
        Panhead John commented
        Editing a comment
        Great looking cook buddy! Are those your dolls in the curio cabinet?

• smokin fool
        smokin fool commented
        Editing a comment
        Yeah, most of them....kind of a drag my wife won’t let me take em out to play with😡
        Last edited by smokin fool; August 15, 2021, 07:37 PM.

• Mr. Bones
        Mr. Bones commented
        Editing a comment
        Wish I had room fer a curio cabinet fer my dolls...sadly, that is not th case, at present...

I do make sure an make tea fer them all, frequently...

Okay, there are lots of pics of pork butt cooks. I am posting this one because next Friday one of my daughter's friends is getting married at a park and I agreed to cook the pork for the reception. I can't take off work so I smoked the pork today.

I pulled and seasoned the pork shoulders and then put the pulled pork with some chicken broth into the same kind of oven bags you might cook a turkey in. I put enough in each oven bag to fill one 1/2 size aluminum tray. Then I sealed off the system.

They will have an oven in a cabin near the park where they intend to warm up the pork. The idea is they simply place the five oven bags in the oven, warm them up, put them in a faux cambro (cooler) and they can take the pork to the reception.

My hope is that when they serve each bag it will retain its moisture.

Click image for larger version  Name:	20210815_144115.jpg Views:	0 Size:	2.29 MB ID:	1077847
      Click image for larger version  Name:	20210815_155829.jpg Views:	0 Size:	2.17 MB ID:	1077848
      Last edited by mrteddyprincess; August 15, 2021, 03:50 PM.

Comment

• Mr. Bones
        Mr. Bones commented
        Editing a comment
        Very nicely thought out, an executed, Amigo!

• Richard Chrz
        Richard Chrz commented
        Editing a comment
        By any chance did you use that dough hook for pulling the pork?

• mrteddyprincess
        mrteddyprincess commented
        Editing a comment
        Richard Chrz yes, I used the dough hook because it's convenient. If I had just cooked one I wouldn't have used the mixer. I had a total of six to pull and the mixer speeds up that process. :-)

Almost smoked a perfect bird, missed bumping up the finish time by maybe 5 min max.

Rubbed in zattarains overnight. Then on to the smoker at 220ish and finished at 375.. Skin was very edible, just not perfect crispy.

Some nice romaine with maters and onion on the side paired nicely with the rubbed bird.

Name:	20210815_125031.jpg
Views:	253
Size:	186.9 KB
ID:	1077865

Name:	20210815_162254.jpg
Views:	255
Size:	97.9 KB
ID:	1077864

Name:	20210815_172019.jpg
Views:	266
Size:	160.3 KB
ID:	1077863

Comment

• Panhead John
        Panhead John commented
        Editing a comment
        Great lookin bird! Zatarain’s is some good stuff.

• Dr. Pepper
        Dr. Pepper commented
        Editing a comment
        Looks delicious!

• smokin fool
        smokin fool commented
        Editing a comment
        Great color on that bird, looks really moist.
        Nice job.

Different twist. BBQ chicken pizza.
      Attached Files

Comment

• Mr. Bones
        Mr. Bones commented
        Editing a comment
        Yayusss!!!

Announcement

Collapse
    No announcement yet.
    Working...
    X
    false
    ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
    false
    false
    {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
    Yes
    ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
    /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here