Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Show Us What You're Cooking! (SUWYC) - Volume 22, Summer 2021

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Jim White 's Posole Verde recipe

Click image for larger version

Name:	posole_verde.jpg
Views:	298
Size:	163.2 KB
ID:	1081573

Comment

• Bbqmikeg
      Bbqmikeg commented
      Editing a comment
      I’d eat the hell out of that!

• Jim White
      Jim White commented
      Editing a comment
      That looks incredible. And it’s been too long since I made a batch. Thanks for the reminder.

• 58limited
      58limited commented
      Editing a comment
      I pureed a pound of Big Jims with the tomatillos and diced a pound of "hot" Hatch chilies that I bought at my grocery store last year. I didn't think they were hot at the time, maybe my tolerance is down, but this turned out hot! But very good too. I'll be enjoying this for the next few days.

Barbacoa tacos

Name:	PXL_20210822_161904554.jpg
Views:	301
Size:	198.1 KB
ID:	1081587

Comment

• CaptainMike
      CaptainMike commented
      Editing a comment
      You and Troutman should try that al pastor recipe I did last weekend.

• Michael_in_TX
      Michael_in_TX commented
      Editing a comment
      WANT.

• Elton's BBQ
      Elton's BBQ commented
      Editing a comment
      Looks mighty fine!

There comes a time when a man has to do something foolish...... With SPAM.

Name:	PXL_20210823_051436990.jpg
Views:	284
Size:	320.7 KB
ID:	1081610Click image for larger version

Name:	PXL_20210823_051730632.jpg
Views:	273
Size:	242.6 KB
ID:	1081611Click image for larger version

Name:	PXL_20210823_052545789.jpg
Views:	274
Size:	282.4 KB
ID:	1081612

Comment

• Ernest
      Ernest commented
      Editing a comment
      Troutman I don't like it on its own but I use it as a "seasoning". It's always great after one too many adult beverages.

• Andrrr
      Andrrr commented
      Editing a comment
      Still using the Sola bread?

• Elton's BBQ
      Elton's BBQ commented
      Editing a comment
      Anyways, it looks good!

Beercan chicken yesterday..

Name:	20210822_165054~2.jpg
Size:	167.3 KB
ID:	1081621Click image for larger version

Name:	20210822_170824~2.jpg
Size:	121.4 KB
ID:	1081620

Comment

• Bbqmikeg
      Bbqmikeg commented
      Editing a comment
      Chicken-can-culo!

Needed a Rib Rack up at camp. Hit a few local stores but no one had one. Had to MacGyver something with skewers.

Name:	IMG_2155.jpeg
Views:	270
Size:	306.6 KB
ID:	1081628

Name:	IMG_2154.jpeg
Views:	275
Size:	252.5 KB
ID:	1081627

Comment

• Michael_in_TX
      Michael_in_TX commented
      Editing a comment
      Looks like it worked really well!

• HawkerXP
      HawkerXP commented
      Editing a comment
      Acupuncture for WIBS!

• Bbqmikeg
      Bbqmikeg commented
      Editing a comment
      Pork-up-sticks!

Wing Night. Fired up the RV Works Fryer and threw on some Bachan's Japanese Wing Sauce. That stuff is dang good.

Name:	IMG_2678.jpeg
Views:	269
Size:	200.4 KB
ID:	1081715

Comment

• Spinaker
      Spinaker commented
      Editing a comment
      Oh absolutely. Nothing makes better wings. Or anything fried, I use it all the time in the summer. Troutman

• Bbqmikeg
      Bbqmikeg commented
      Editing a comment
      You could play chicken checkers on that board!

• Spinaker
      Spinaker commented
      Editing a comment
      You know what, that is a great idea! Bbqmikeg

This from Saturday - the plan was get the brisket started early to be ready by 5. Then life intervened. Not only did I get a late start, I knew I couldn't babysit the LSG and feed it logs all day.

So I adapted. I separated the point and flat to cook faster. And fortunately I had a full bag of FOGO Super Premium - so I filled the LSG charcoal basket with the biggest chunks plus some peach and guava sticks from last year's pruning.

Got the brisket on by 9 a.m. and pulled it to rest at 4 p.m. I had to reload the basket about 1/3 full when it burned down early afternoon, but other than that the Fireboard showed absolute steady 285 the whole day with the vent open about an inch.

All's well that ends well.

Name:	IMG_1361.JPG
Views:	254
Size:	209.0 KB
ID:	1081750

Name:	IMG_1362.JPG
Views:	258
Size:	212.1 KB
ID:	1081751

Name:	IMG_1363.JPG
Views:	258
Size:	245.2 KB
ID:	1081752

Name:	IMG_1364.JPG
Views:	270
Size:	197.2 KB
ID:	1081748

Name:	IMG_1365.JPG
Views:	257
Size:	188.1 KB
ID:	1081749

Comment

• CaptainMike
      CaptainMike commented
      Editing a comment
      Hmmm, I might have to get one of those charcoal baskets.

• radshop
      radshop commented
      Editing a comment
      CaptainMike I've only used it a few times since I got my LSG, but when I need it it really pays for itself

• CaptainMike
      CaptainMike commented
      Editing a comment
      Thanks for the post and reply, I was on the fence with that add on, but might have to pony up and order it.

Cooking lot's of ribs still, working on my rub formula. Here is a rack I did over the weekend, and the full rack photo was one sent to me by a friend who picked one up from me over the weekend.

Name:	Ribs.jpg
Views:	259
Size:	60.9 KB
ID:	1081917

Name:	ribs 1.jpg
Views:	262
Size:	57.1 KB
ID:	1081916

Comment

• Panhead John
      Panhead John commented
      Editing a comment
      What are YOU gonna eat? I’ll be there at noon. I’ll bring the plates.

• Richard Chrz
      Richard Chrz commented
      Editing a comment
      Panhead John , I’d prefer a classic white. Please & Thank you.

• jhoskins
      jhoskins commented
      Editing a comment
      Who are you feeding all these experimental ribs to? These look great!

Well, yesterday we were feeding my daughter and her husband for dinner, and it felt like a good time to break out the good ole Weber rotisserie! No grease fire worries with charcoal grills, and I love being able to cook some veggies in a drip pan under the chicken. Also baked some bread to go with it... I wasn't happy with the crumb of the bread, and didn't want to be judged for it, so no plated pictures...

The thing I love about the Weber kettle rotisserie is that you have SO much space, there is no worry about even trussing something like a 4 pound chicken. Just let the legs and wings fly free!

Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_5947.jpeg Views:	0 Size:	4.04 MB ID:	1081947Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_5952.jpeg Views:	0 Size:	2.89 MB ID:	1081943Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_5953.jpeg Views:	0 Size:	2.80 MB ID:	1081944Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_5948.jpeg Views:	0 Size:	3.22 MB ID:	1081945Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_5956.jpeg Views:	0 Size:	3.54 MB ID:	1081946
    Last edited by jfmorris; August 23, 2021, 03:10 PM.

Comment

• jfmorris
      jfmorris commented
      Editing a comment
      RonB no, I've not done the poke test recently. I was on a schedule to have dinner on the table at 6pm Sunday evening, so the bread had to be baked around 5pm, or not at all. It was softer when warm, but is a little dense to my tastes when I used it for a PBJ yesterday! I'll certainly try again and keep your advice in mind.

• Richard Chrz
      Richard Chrz commented
      Editing a comment
      Interesting tidbit, I do not do the "poke" test

• Elton's BBQ
      Elton's BBQ commented
      Editing a comment
      Ahh.. Man this looks good!
      Now i have to get me a rotisserie..
      Last edited by Elton's BBQ; August 25, 2021, 01:44 AM.

Still having fun with my new Anova Sous Vide setup. Ran some bone-in, skin-on chicken thighs at 165 for four hours. They got a little salt and some Flatiron Pepper Dark and Smoky Rub. (That stuff is wonderful and with no salt or sugar in it, it seems perfect for SV!) Chilled and held overnight. Got some nice broth for using after diluting, microwaving and filtering the purge.

I knew I wanted to do a red curry. But I couldn't decide whether I wanted Indian flavor or Thai. So I kind of fused them. It turned out much better than I deserved for throwing just about everything I could think of in there. The chicken was the most tender I've ever eaten.

Name:	2021-08-23 16.38.59.jpg
Views:	252
Size:	156.7 KB
ID:	1082086

Name:	2021-08-23 18.58.32 (2).jpg
Views:	294
Size:	100.0 KB
ID:	1082085

PS I had a little of that yummy broth left over. I put it in the fridge. I started to get a piece of tape and label it, but I decided "Thigh Purge" would just look too wrong. It's unlabeled...

Comment

• Jim White
      Jim White commented
      Editing a comment
      I got the SV conditions from Kenji: https://www.seriouseats.com/the-food...-chicken-thigh

• Spinaker
      Spinaker commented
      Editing a comment
      I making Shahi Korma tonight for a dinner party on Wednesday. I have the chicken in a lemon juice, garlic and ginger marinade now. Gonna be good!

• Jim White
      Jim White commented
      Editing a comment
      Spinaker Not sure how I hadn't heard of or tried this one before. Just bookmarked the recipe from Pinch of Yum, I have others from that site I like. I'd love a link if the recipe you use is available.

Pork chops brined for one hour; painted with Carolina Gold sauce.
    Attached Files

Comment

• HawkerXP
      HawkerXP commented
      Editing a comment
      Love that Gold!

A Monday Night Quick Ragù. Of course with freshly picked Tomatoes and Cukes.

Name:	IMG_6073.JPG
Views:	261
Size:	152.3 KB
ID:	1082162

Comment

• Elton's BBQ
      Elton's BBQ commented
      Editing a comment
      Looks really good indeed

Smoked a chicken breast and cooked 4 brats. The brats are from Vandal Meats in Moscow, Idaho. Vandal Meats is part of the Ag program at University of Idaho. If you ever happen to be in Pullman, WA or Moscow, ID, or have a friend near there, I highly recommend the brats, for sure!

Name:	177F13F7-FB1C-41B4-BC11-71766EAE8B09.jpeg
Views:	259
Size:	289.4 KB
ID:	1082230

Comment

• Panhead John
      Panhead John commented
      Editing a comment
      Chicken and sausage is always a good combo! Looks good.

• ecowper
      ecowper commented
      Editing a comment
      and look at the fancy plating and artistic photography!!!!

Hamburgers last night (with grilled Jimmy Nardello and 'Fooled You' Jalapeños). Blue cheese, caramelized onions, garden tomatoes, iceberg lettuce, fresh sweet onion slices. My wife uses ketchup, but being from Chicago, I only use mayo and dijon mustard.

We tried Kenji Lopez-Alt's recent NYT technique on grilling thin burgers.

The 6" burgers really did shrink down to fit the buns! Worked well.
    ps, I like my burgers open faced, so that more meat hits my taste buds. Or at least, that's what I tell myself?

Golden Hour light doesn't hurt.

Name:	IMG_8706.jpeg
Views:	222
Size:	180.2 KB
ID:	1082437Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_8707.jpeg
Views:	239
Size:	183.3 KB
ID:	1082436

Comment

• SheilaAnn
      SheilaAnn commented
      Editing a comment
      Being from Chicago, too, ketchup is Satan’s work…… 🤣
      Great looking burgers!

Cheshire Pork St. Louis Cut Ribs! Had the pleasure of meeting PitMaster Heath Riles and cooking the slab of ribs he prepped and seasoned. Went with an unwrapped Memphis-style dry rib and it turned out fantastic!
    Attached Files

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
    No announcement yet.
    Working...
    X
    false
    ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
    false
    false
    {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
    Yes
    ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
    /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here