Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Show Us What You're Cooking! (SUWYC) - Volume 22, Summer 2021

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Steak salad Monday… reverse seared on the SNS Kamado using the cold grate technique.

Click image for larger version

Name:	7DE82152-E780-492B-9A8A-D449EB7A1009.jpeg
Views:	258
Size:	181.4 KB
ID:	1093897 Click image for larger version

Name:	FFCE8C91-1E37-4453-8DDC-475EF9BE4EFA.jpeg
Views:	266
Size:	246.7 KB
ID:	1093896

Comment

• jfmorris
      jfmorris commented
      Editing a comment
      And I will comment before someone else does. Not as pink as I was shooting for. This steak hit 138F before I pulled it, and carry over took it into medium territory. A little more done than I intended, but sliced thinly on a salad, it was good, especially after slopping the slices around in the juice that was running out of the steak.

• fzxdoc
      fzxdoc commented
      Editing a comment
      I bet your wife liked the nearly medium beef, though. Steak salad is underrated. Steak brings a lot to the salad party IMO.

Nice job.

Kathryn

• jfmorris
      jfmorris commented
      Editing a comment
      fzxdoc Kathryn Thanks!

And yes - my wife prefers medium or medium-well to be honest, and so hitting 140 or so in carry over cooking was good from her stand point. You are right about the salad. We've been eating a lot of salads and such lately, trying to diet, and I measured out exact 4 ounce portions of steak for these (who knew you were not supposed to eat an entire 18 ounce steak by yourself, right?). We will have what is left cold on our lunch salads today.

Jim

A precursor. Going to make 2 8 oz. stuffed burgers. We've been doing a lot of cooks and bakes for my daughter's family. She and their 4 year old still in quarantine till Saturday. It's tough. Sorry for the digression.

It will be pepper jack cheese, cowboy candy and bacon. This is from local farm. Think I posted the sausage they're make. Same stuff in a casing.

How could I forget. Meathead's beef rub. Pictures will be added

As promised. Delicious. A nice bite. As you can see I over stuffed the cheese, bacon and Cowboy Candy. The top sorta blew up. All good. Again the rub made a solid crisp topping.

Name:	20210914_163553.jpg
Views:	220
Size:	166.4 KB
ID:	1094487

Name:	20210914_191158.jpg
Views:	223
Size:	101.7 KB
ID:	1094488
    Click image for larger version  Name:	20210913_195437.jpg Views:	0 Size:	2.05 MB ID:	1093900
    Last edited by RichieB; September 14, 2021, 06:05 PM.

Comment

• Elton's BBQ
      Elton's BBQ commented
      Editing a comment
      I look forward to see..👍

I know it is getting redundant but I have been working to perfect the cheese skirt. I have been eating one of these burgers about every other week for the last couple of months. It takes a little technique - I failed a bit in the beginning.

Cheddar cheese is a must - other cheeses will melt away. I start with a smash burger. Mine has some onion soup mix, a dash of Worcestershire sauce, and a dash of mustard. I smash the burger on the Blackstone and let it go for only about a minute on the first side. I use a putty knife/paint scraper as my spatula. Once turned, I pile the grated cheddar cheese, cover and put in two ice cubes. I let it go for about 3 minutes, covered. I carefully work the putty knife under the cheese about 30 - 40 seconds after uncovering. The griddle is on medium. If the temp is too high the cheese will burn. If you like cheese or you like cheese that feels like crispy bacon, you will like this. Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_5164.jpg
Views:	275
Size:	265.6 KB
ID:	1093931 Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_5165.jpg
Views:	252
Size:	189.1 KB
ID:	1093932 Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_5166.jpg
Views:	261
Size:	262.9 KB
ID:	1093933 Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_5169.JPG
Views:	255
Size:	126.0 KB
ID:	1093934

Comment

• SheilaAnn
      SheilaAnn commented
      Editing a comment
      My two cents: grate your own cheese. That shredded 💩 from the store has anti-caking stuff that messes up the melt.

That said…. Great looking burger, dude!

• tbob4
      tbob4 commented
      Editing a comment
      SheilaAnn - Thanks a ton. I always grate my cheese. I think that is really good advice. It didn’t occur to me to add as advice.
      Last edited by tbob4; September 13, 2021, 11:16 PM.

• Elton's BBQ
      Elton's BBQ commented
      Editing a comment
      Looks like a superduper cheese-smashburger!

Some chicken stir fry on the 360 griddle...

Click image for larger version  Name:	20210912_185509.jpg Views:	0 Size:	1.98 MB ID:	1094000 Click image for larger version  Name:	20210912_185513.jpg Views:	0 Size:	2.09 MB ID:	1094001 Click image for larger version  Name:	20210912_190407.jpg Views:	0 Size:	1.80 MB ID:	1094002 Click image for larger version  Name:	20210912_190724.jpg Views:	0 Size:	1.52 MB ID:	1094003

Comment

• Elton's BBQ
      Elton's BBQ commented
      Editing a comment
      Looks darn good..

• Troutman
      Troutman commented
      Editing a comment
      Gotta love those EVOs. Good looking stir fry too !!!

• jfmorris
      jfmorris commented
      Editing a comment
      That is a beautiful looking stir-fry!

Beef ribs from yesterday, and chicken wings basted in Polynesian sauce from Chick-fil-a the other afternoon…
    Attached Files

Comment

50 day dry aged bone in ribeye. Dry brined with salt over night and reverse seared on my Big Green Egg. There was a little more graying than I was hoping for, but it still tasted great!
      Attached Files

Comment

• SheilaAnn
        SheilaAnn commented
        Editing a comment
        Oh dang!! 🤤

• Dr. Pepper
        Dr. Pepper commented
        Editing a comment
        I'd say it looks perfect! (There are those of us who don't elevate the thinness of the sear over the flavor.)

• Mr. Bones
        Mr. Bones commented
        Editing a comment
        Great steak, Fine job!!!
        Dog looks ready to explode in yer avatar!!!
        Last edited by Mr. Bones; September 16, 2021, 09:52 PM. Reason: b

Depending on how it's looking I usually like to dial back the heat for the last minute.

Name:	SNbtTj3QdVyqvLeLHIdopjjI9uHvBEtvq53jgH_hHBbBa0Qex-q0oNfaiRFvArmu5nwWrJqbUkLdzQLFSL0Ewjm7G58q-lWuxKIAEt9We7tTiT323p02OJYxyq0q2LoI6E1ngNRuBhbKAw0qFA9RaIamLwaefAHDueKDuFIEFTH3bKc76rLPb_1CMlWROoCnFNl5lVWAzAVlnb_ClgkU0_YIaBJ67vQthwfSpU8KeDy7gZZxudVuZS5uqinMYV4
Views:	249
Size:	170.3 KB
ID:	1094200

Comment

• Attjack
        Attjack commented
        Editing a comment
        I saw one listed from my neighborhood on a free stuff facebook page. I missed it by mere minutes.

• Joey877
        Joey877 commented
        Editing a comment
        This made me look and there's one for sale near me for $450. Says like new condition, but that seems steep to me. Thoughts? Not sure how expensive these were when you could buy them new.

Edit: it is not "like new"

Last edited by Joey877; September 14, 2021, 12:10 PM.

• Attjack
        Attjack commented
        Editing a comment
        Joey877 $450 is steep IMO but typical since these are really sought after. I paid $50. That's the newer model than the one I have. I also bought a new rotisserie motor and a cover for mine. If you wait you might find one for a little cheaper but who knows?

Ribs and beans the other day. First ribs I've done in months, and the first ribs I've done on the kettle in... a couple of years?

The beans were bourbon BBQ beans with some smoked belly and rib tips, and finished in the smoker. The ribs we're tasty, but could have used maybe another 20 minutes.

Name:	3ED8EBE8-BBDF-4212-BF3C-D0B9977F9C8A_1_201_a.jpeg
Views:	257
Size:	288.8 KB
ID:	1094348

Name:	D38D9048-BEBE-4E52-9D99-FEF6E768D039_1_201_a.jpeg
Views:	254
Size:	291.5 KB
ID:	1094347

Name:	2A78546F-702E-486F-87E1-D80E0B007414_1_201_a.jpeg
Views:	259
Size:	215.9 KB
ID:	1094346

Comment

• Dr. Pepper
        Dr. Pepper commented
        Editing a comment
        I don't know, not having bit into one, but they sure look perfect!

• Richard Chrz
        Richard Chrz commented
        Editing a comment
        Yum! All of it looks great, but, love the ribs!

• Richard Chrz
        Richard Chrz commented
        Editing a comment
        FYI,I have the 8x8 family member of your bean pan.

Giving of myself again for the good of pizza science. Test batch on the dough getting another 48 hours.

Name:	7B370D83-A43A-4473-B8C8-8240B895CC07.jpeg
Views:	253
Size:	311.9 KB
ID:	1094425

Comment

• Richard Chrz
        Richard Chrz commented
        Editing a comment
        Dr. Pepper at same time, I am teaching myself more about pizza for my own benefit, expanding my learning. My Detroit pizza pan and Chicago pan both arrived today. New sauces, new cheeses, all kinds of fun ahead.

• SheilaAnn
        SheilaAnn commented
        Editing a comment
        Richard Chrz we may have discussed this in the past, but I have worked my way through American Pie, My Search for the Perfect Pizza by Peter Reinhart more times than I can count. The Neo Neapolitan dough has been my fav. I have to switch my styles of pizza at home because BF is Sicilian and loves that thick focaccia-like crust.

• Richard Chrz
        Richard Chrz commented
        Editing a comment
        SheilaAnn I do remember that conversation on a pizza thread!

Not on the grill, but parmesan crusted halibut with lemon caper sauce, broccoli, and mashed potatoes.

Name:	Halibut Parmesan.jpg
Views:	268
Size:	108.0 KB
ID:	1094430

Comment

• SheilaAnn
        SheilaAnn commented
        Editing a comment
        Stunning!

• Attjack
        Attjack commented
        Editing a comment
        That's mouthwatering.

• Richard Chrz
        Richard Chrz commented
        Editing a comment
        Fantastic!

Wasn't planning to put this up, but it just turned out so tasty I decided to go ahead even though I had started eating before snapping the picture. Salad night. Baby romaine, cucumber, mint, grape tomatoes and feta. Dressing was lemon juice and olive oil with some salt, Flatiron UC Biber and sumac. Salad got sprinkled with a bit more sumac before the dressing went on. And the star of the show was a hefty amount of Rancho Gordo cranberry beans. Definitely would do this again. Served up with some crusty bread that isn't shown.

Name:	2021-09-14 18.59.09.jpg
Views:	258
Size:	115.0 KB
ID:	1094468

Comment

• Dr. Pepper
        Dr. Pepper commented
        Editing a comment
        Yum!

At my girlfriend's request, I harvested some grapes from the front porch, then dried and chopped some Italian Plums for this chicken salad. I love me a grape forward chicken salad and am happy my grapes did so well this year. That was years in the making.

Name:	Resizer_16316726614270.jpg
Views:	237
Size:	275.1 KB
ID:	1094599

Name:	Resizer_16316726614271.jpg
Views:	248
Size:	362.5 KB
ID:	1094598

Comment

• Dr. Pepper
        Dr. Pepper commented
        Editing a comment
        My wife loves chicken salad with cut grapes, walnuts, celery, and tarragon. (So do I.) Yours looks similar.

• Attjack
        Attjack commented
        Editing a comment
        Dr. Pepper This was certainly similar. No tarragon and toasted pecans instead of walnuts. I mixed full-fat greek yogurt 50/50 with mayo for the sauce.

Pictures dont do it justice. Some fresh caught Dorado smoked on my pit boss over home grown zebra lemons. Corn tortillas made by a local market ( yes I live in socal so ten tiendo) topped with queso fresco, cilantro, fresh tomatoes, and chives. Accompanied by a sour cream, lime, salt, pepper, paprika, sriracha sauce. Father in law said it was the best fish taco hes ever had. I've heard the same about my salmon from him and all I have to thank for it is this website. Thank y'all for all the great cooks and tips!!!
      Attached Files

Comment

• Skip
        Skip commented
        Editing a comment
        Those Tacos look Great!

We were so hungry, I failed to get a plated pic, but y’all have seen me make this before. Peruvian Chicken with Green Sauce. Steamed rice and black beans were served.

Name:	EBAC307A-06E0-4505-BDDB-168EBB6F5182.jpeg
Views:	241
Size:	161.9 KB
ID:	1094621

Comment

• Dr. Pepper
        Dr. Pepper commented
        Editing a comment
        That is a great recipe!

I think McGri...... Copied from this one LOL

Name:	PXL_20210915_175745253.jpg
Views:	223
Size:	224.5 KB
ID:	1094846

Comment

• Bogy
        Bogy commented
        Editing a comment
        ofelles, are you sure? I see a lot of hog there!

• Ernest
        Ernest commented
        Editing a comment
        Hahaha

• treesmacker
        treesmacker commented
        Editing a comment
        DANG...that looks SUPER!

Announcement

Collapse
    No announcement yet.
    Working...
    X
    false
    ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
    false
    false
    {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
    Yes
    ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
    /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here