Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Show Us What You're Cooking! (SUWYC) - Volume 22, Summer 2021

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Nothing Fancy, just home made Sloppy Joes.
    Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0684.JPG
Views:	337
Size:	138.5 KB
ID:	1083168

Comment

I am now officially a QVQ fanboy! I present my first QVQ chuck roast.

Name:	2021-08-25 18.41.19 (2).jpg
Views:	387
Size:	138.7 KB
ID:	1083178

Name:	2021-08-25 18.47.49.jpg
Views:	324
Size:	137.9 KB
ID:	1083179

I can definitely see why some compare this to prime rib. It certainly has the look, but as Troutman points out, the flavor is different. Served up into sandwiches (of course with my wife's KC-style barbecue sauce) with corn that was grilled during the final Q step.

Name:	2021-08-25 18.53.23 (2).jpg
Views:	324
Size:	142.5 KB
ID:	1083180

Comment

• Elton's BBQ
        Elton's BBQ commented
        Editing a comment
        Looks great!

• jfmorris
        jfmorris commented
        Editing a comment
        Looks great! I wish my wife liked pink in her meat... . She wants everything medium-well... I've fed her a few medium steaks, and if she didn't look at it, I bet she would EAT a medium rare piece of beef. It makes it hard for me to do things like prime rib, as I have to toss anything for her in a skillet to cook further.

Do you think you could QVQ chuck roast at a higher temperature, say 145 (medium well) and still have tender results?

• Jim White
        Jim White commented
        Editing a comment
        jfmorris I think the 145 approach would work great. And I bet you'd even be observant enough to slice it properly instead of my rookie mistake. If you wanted, you could still do the SV at 132 (followed by chill) and then on the final Q, split off a chunk for yourself at 130 and then leave hers on to 145. Probably only 10-30 minutes difference if you're direct at 325.
        Last edited by Jim White; August 26, 2021, 08:50 AM.

Ran some larger hickory chunks on my coal tonight, cooked up two ribeyes to rare, and enjoyed a scotch.

Click image for larger version  Name:	502D3BD9-7518-48A6-A02F-435B3C4F981E.jpeg Views:	7 Size:	1.75 MB ID:	1083184
      Click image for larger version  Name:	68444AC1-B673-4861-803E-F9F0C901B9BF.jpeg Views:	5 Size:	889.8 KB ID:	1083183
      Click image for larger version  Name:	D07CAB6B-8E68-4398-A612-6AB2FBFE2882.jpeg Views:	5 Size:	607.0 KB ID:	1083182
      Last edited by Richard Chrz; August 25, 2021, 05:49 PM. Reason: Horrible typos

Comment

• Richard Chrz
        Richard Chrz commented
        Editing a comment
        @PanheadJohn , so it does not look like your current steak? 😜

• Elton's BBQ
        Elton's BBQ commented
        Editing a comment
        Nothing wrong with those pic's i'd say..👌

• RustyHaines
        RustyHaines commented
        Editing a comment
        You had me right up until the scotch :-)

I've heard drinking while smoking protein (fire you know) in some states is illegal. I have not confirmed this but if true and I lived in that state, I'm movin' the hell out.

Oh, as usual nice cook.

Comment

• Richard Chrz
        Richard Chrz commented
        Editing a comment
        I sure wish the Wonder boy would leave.

• Dr. Pepper
        Dr. Pepper commented
        Editing a comment
        Richard Chrz When you’re bragging about Wisconsin don’t forget Chief Leinenkügel from Chippewa Falls!

• Richard Chrz
        Richard Chrz commented
        Editing a comment
        Dr. Pepper I’m admittedly not a fan of leinenkugel. But, yes, very wisconsin. As are brats.

Update!
      The CrapMaster 2000 chronicles since it's become popular
      I'd rather use the Weber kettle but it's 3 flights of stairs away and it's 90+ degrees outside right now.
      Burger night, it does such a good job on beef. Ultra high temps, life is good
      A small handful of apple chips and rock on!
      Here's the results........
      Attached Files

Comment

• Elton's BBQ
        Elton's BBQ commented
        Editing a comment
        Nice!

• jfmorris
        jfmorris commented
        Editing a comment
        Hey! That CrapMaster 2000 looks familiar, except mine didn't have a thermometer! . You must have the De-luxe edition!

Mine rusted up all over just from the humidity in a storage shed, and I tossed it long ago.

• tmaan235
        tmaan235 commented
        Editing a comment
        I have a wood back porch at 2nd floor, NO CHARCOAL!!!, the CrapMaster 2000 hits the loophole for this and still gets me the sear I'm looking for, life is good

I bought this one from amazon and added the thermometer just to see where it went and was very surprised to say the least
        I think because the cooking volume is so small is the reason why it hits the high temps so easy but I'm ok with that when cooking beef which is my go to, so it works out.

Progressive dinner tonight, started with fresh bruschetta…

Name:	206DC4B3-81CE-4A87-8A8D-8270AC02F085.jpeg
Views:	312
Size:	125.1 KB
ID:	1083231
      Took another shot at pizza… came out fantastic (Kenji recipe for a Foolproof Pan Pizza), still need to work on shaping though since I didn’t get much rise on the edges. Click image for larger version

Name:	D67EBFA9-2EE1-44C1-90F8-DBED6AF88E52.jpeg
Views:	316
Size:	167.2 KB
ID:	1083233Click image for larger version

Name:	CE608D59-60CD-474F-BB5A-58121D7F23E9.jpeg
Views:	313
Size:	132.4 KB
ID:	1083232Click image for larger version

Name:	03AA80B8-428C-4CFE-A224-D540D3129B58.jpeg
Views:	307
Size:	109.9 KB
ID:	1083234

Also did a venison steak w/a coffee rub and a venison tenderloin w/soy/mustard powder/ginger/garlic (venison courtesy of my buddy the master hunter)

Name:	2A09C6F1-51CB-439A-AE89-961B9EA18521.jpeg
Views:	341
Size:	157.3 KB
ID:	1083230

Comment

• SheilaAnn
        SheilaAnn commented
        Editing a comment
        We’re having caprese and pizza tomorrow! Do you think this pizza recipe would work on the grill in the cast iron?

• jhoskins
        jhoskins commented
        Editing a comment
        I think so! I did it at 550 in the oven, so you may just need it to cook a little longer depending on your grill

• tmaan235
        tmaan235 commented
        Editing a comment
        Oh my, that's marriage proposal material

Wanted to try something different with pork ribs so I decided on trying the Tuscan rib recipe for dinner tonight. Made Mrs. Meathead's vinaigrette and marinated a rack of spareribs overnight. Put them in the grill indirect (no smoke) at 225*.

Name:	20210825_132758.jpg
Views:	349
Size:	171.7 KB
ID:	1083242 Basted every 45 minutes with the vinaigrette for 5.5 hours.

Name:	20210825_165848.jpg
Views:	320
Size:	318.7 KB
ID:	1083243 Removed and let the ribs rest in foil while my wife prepared garlic bread and summer squash and we had a glass or two of wine. Put the ribs back on the grill on direct heat to char up a bit.

Name:	20210825_184652.jpg
Size:	375.2 KB
ID:	1083244
      The finished product was fantastic. Highly recommend the Tuscan rib recipe .

Name:	20210825_185549.jpg
Views:	309
Size:	138.6 KB
ID:	1083245

Comment

Hatch chili bratwurst, rice with confit tomatoes and garlic, pickled beet and walnut salad with watermelon.

Name:	Resizer_16299569964460.jpg
Views:	333
Size:	354.5 KB
ID:	1083332

Comment

• Elton's BBQ
          Elton's BBQ commented
          Editing a comment
          Looks really good.. and nice colors.. 👍👌

Grilled chicken teriyaki bowl. So easy and so tasty.

Name:	img.jpg
Size:	58.7 KB
ID:	1083393

Comment

Had some cast Iron Paneer and Naan with my Shahi Korma last night. Man was this good.

Name:	3A5F8FDE-2703-4F56-BA4F-8AD002B19466.jpeg
Views:	307
Size:	52.5 KB
ID:	1083431

Comment

• Troutman
            Troutman commented
            Editing a comment
            Wood fired ovens are the bomb. Love it Spin !!

• Spinaker
            Spinaker commented
            Editing a comment
            So much fun to cook in. Troutman

• Mr. Bones
            Mr. Bones commented
            Editing a comment
            Way Dang Kewl, brother!

Kinda reminds me of th beginnin of Th Munsters, when th stairs would rise up, an Spot would breathe flames!!!

Thighs. Light coating of oil with some salt and pepper. Cooked at 400 until 175/180.
          Attached Files

Comment

• Dr. Pepper
            Dr. Pepper commented
            Editing a comment
            Simple, crunchy skin, salty. Perfect!

• DavidNorcross
            DavidNorcross commented
            Editing a comment
            Thanks everyone. I have been highly impressed with the Silverbac.

• SheilaAnn
            SheilaAnn commented
            Editing a comment
            I can hear the "crunch" of the skin! Yum!

So, I tried my hand at making hot sauce for the first time. It turned out really good!

I used a recipe for Garlic-Habanero Hot Sauce on Chili Pepper Madness' website: https://www.chilipeppermadness.com/c...ero-hot-sauce/

For the peppers and veg it calls for eight habaneros, twenty (yes, twenty) cloves of garlic, and one onion. The habaneros are roasted for 15 minutes in the oven while the onion, garlic, vinegar and other ingredients simmer away.

Name:	IMG-4980.JPG
Views:	287
Size:	85.2 KB
ID:	1083669

Name:	IMG-4981.JPG
Views:	289
Size:	88.2 KB
ID:	1083670

Name:	IMG-4982.JPG
Views:	288
Size:	74.0 KB
ID:	1083672

After everything has had about twenty minutes together, one purees it. This is also when I learned that they put "max liquid fill" lines on blenders. It took a bit cleaning that mess up, but I probably only lost a tablespoon or two.

Name:	IMG-4983.JPG
Views:	288
Size:	93.4 KB
ID:	1083671

After the pureed mixture simmered for a bit more and had cooled down, I strained it. I kinda wish I hadn't....it actually was spicer as a puree (for obvious reasons). I did save the "pulp" and could add it back in, but I don't know enough about hot sauces to know if it is cool to have that many bits of garlic/onion/pepper hanging out with no preservatives in something that is going to be in the fridge for awhile.

It is definitely more garlicky than habaneroy, but not over-poweringly so. The habaneros give a good kick of heat that lingers for a bit. It's a good ratio. All in all, it turned out really good for my first go at this sort of thing.

Name:	IMG-4984.JPG
Views:	302
Size:	82.4 KB
ID:	1083668

Comment

• jhoskins
            jhoskins commented
            Editing a comment
            Looks great! I can smell that mixture simmering away from here! I am curious about the shelf life, my understanding is that garlic in oil can be a problem potentially over a long period of time, and that has kinda made me hesitant on flavored oils and hot sauces, wonder if any of the other pit members will weigh in that know more!

• Michael_in_TX
            Michael_in_TX commented
            Editing a comment
            From what I have read, it should keep 2-3 months. I am still very much learning, but refrigerated shelf life is directly tied to the ph of the sauce. I'm thinking of getting a quality ph meter. Looks like, for home cooks, you want to keep it more acidic than the commercial stuff so around 3.5. Adding vinegar will lower the ph, but, of course, also dilute the sauce.

• Mr. Bones
            Mr. Bones commented
            Editing a comment
            Lookin forward to yer results, as I'm gonna mke me some, as well...

Thanks fer sharin th receipt, an yer notes / pics, much appreciated!

Where'd ya score th cute lil sauce bottles?

So, I was in the local HEB today. Hurricane heading towards the mid-coast of Louisiana (and shifting east) but everyone is panicking. While those selfish hoarders were buying up all of the bottled water and toilet paper some jerk ( ) bought the last case of Hatch chilies.

Anyway, on an unrelated note here is what I cooked for dinner tonight:

Hatch Chili Rellenos with Red Hatch Chili Sauce. Even if the hurricane shifts back west I'll have plenty of chilies to tide me over

Click image for larger version  Name:	chili rellenos.jpg Views:	0 Size:	4.60 MB ID:	1083700
          Last edited by 58limited; August 26, 2021, 07:37 PM.

Comment

• SheilaAnn
            SheilaAnn commented
            Editing a comment
            Ive found that hatch chiles are like Russian roulette. Mild, mild, mild, hot! Kinda like shishitos.

• 58limited
            58limited commented
            Editing a comment
            Dr. Pepper I stuffed them with cheese and TexMex seasoned ground beef.

• ofelles
            ofelles commented
            Editing a comment
            Just got my box of fresh chilies from the Hatch Chile Store.

The picture certainly is not riveting like Richard’s or Ernest’s, but it was tasty! Tostadas, tres flavors. Ceviche with Sitka Black Cod and tomatoes from the garden. Refried Beans with Cheese and Pico. And while I am allergic to vegan, the third is a vegan ceviche made with cauliflower. The vegan dish is made from my old tenant and it is delicious.

Name:	7C4193B4-61C9-478F-9D1F-F72B0A8D9818.jpeg
Views:	295
Size:	137.3 KB
ID:	1083764

Comment

• SheilaAnn
            SheilaAnn commented
            Editing a comment
            Dr. Pepper so then anyways, I built and curated a food hall with several tenants (burgers, pizza, vegan, stupid 💩 for the ‘gram). Anyone who knows me well, knows I am allergic to vegan (stupid inside joke). This lady’s food is fantastic. Her ceviche was my gateway drug. Her mushroom tamales are savory and delicious. Am I vegan now? Oh, hell nah….. but when I taste something I enjoy I celebrate it.

• SheilaAnn
            SheilaAnn commented
            Editing a comment
            To further comment, my old job (in addition to curating and managing the food hall) was a whole animal butcher shop located across the aisle from the vegan place. Irony at it’s best!

• Mr. Bones
            Mr. Bones commented
            Editing a comment
            Great Job, all around, Sister!

Delicious lookin plate of food, beyond a shadow of a doubt!

Cain't believe ya ground up yer old tenant to make th third, but,: What Happens in Th Pit, Stays in Th Pit LOL!

Chicken on the throne tonight. Got a new chicken holder an gave it a go tonight. Rub was Hanks KC. Pooper was set to 350°. Smoke tube got one charcoal briquette in the bottom, and topped off with pear wood chips I got from a coworker. Very happy with the new throne. I'll do a review of it when I remember to take a picture of it without a chicken sitting on it. The chicken came out just like it usually does. Crispy skin, juicy and delicious.

Name:	PXL_20210826_205335178.MP.jpg
Views:	272
Size:	167.1 KB
ID:	1083780

Name:	PXL_20210826_222609716.jpg
Views:	276
Size:	112.4 KB
ID:	1083779Click image for larger version

Name:	PXL_20210826_224215391.jpg
Views:	294
Size:	100.0 KB
ID:	1083778

Comment

• SheilaAnn
            SheilaAnn commented
            Editing a comment
            My takeaway is the pear wood chips… I would guess very subtle in flavor.

And the chicken looks amaze-balls, BTW.

• willxfmr
            willxfmr commented
            Editing a comment
            SheilaAnn You are correct. Just enough smoke flavor to know it's there, but not enough to be a dominant flavor.
            Last edited by willxfmr; August 27, 2021, 02:29 AM.

• tmaan235
            tmaan235 commented
            Editing a comment
            OUTSTANDING

Announcement

Collapse
        No announcement yet.
        Working...
        X
        false
        ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
        false
        false
        {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
        Yes
        ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
        /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here