Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Show Us Your Bourbon/Whiskey/Rye/Scotch!

Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

This is the kind of thing that seems to happen to other people😉
    I scored these for $20.00 at an estate sale, and that's after talking the guy down from $30.00.
    Lagavulin 16 is one of my favorites, and it ain't cheap.
    I'm not a fan of blended scotch, but figured that the Chivas was a no-brainer, for a 12 year blend, at that price. It's a 1 liter bottle to boot. That, and I'll have something to offer my friends who like it and they'll keep their mitts off of my expensive hooch😅
    The 4R shorty is interesting, as it was bottled for American Airlines. I'm gonna stick that one in the freezer and try it later. The label pic is for those who are curious about the blend of whiskeys/spirits in the bottle.
    Attached Files

Comment

• volsmoker
      volsmoker commented
      Editing a comment
      That Four Roses is very unique. Looks like it has the red tax label across the cap. No government warning, has the hallmarks of an older bottle. I would hang on to that one for a while.
      Last edited by volsmoker; May 27, 2023, 08:47 PM. Reason: Wanted to add another thought to my comment.

• Skinsfan1311
      Skinsfan1311 commented
      Editing a comment
      volsmoker That's the plan. I wouldn't drink anything made with the blend listed on that label. It's swill and in no way resembles the mashbill for any current 4R whiskey. I have a collection of shorties in a small cabinet that I've been collecting since the late 70's. I put it in there.

• fzxdoc
      fzxdoc commented
      Editing a comment
      Ohmigosh, what a great deal you got. All of that for $20 is amazing.

Kathryn

A great weekend! Some excellent bike rides this weekend so far, watched my 18yo boy play some baseball and do well to start the summer season, then cooked up some paella tonight and enjoyed some Russel’s Reserve and a fire….

Thank you to all that have served this great country….especially those who served and gave all.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3377.jpg
Views:	287
Size:	42.4 KB
ID:	1428097

Comment

• Huskee
      Huskee commented
      Editing a comment
      Beautiful shot

Couldn't see wasting a perfectly good cube, leftover from a batch of overly sweet Old Fashioneds, (made to Mrs. Skinsfan specs...with more SS than I like), with an Old Elk pick.
    Attached Files

Comment

Lagavulin 16 Distiller’s Edition …. Distilled in 2003, bottled in 2019, opened by me tonight, May 29, 2023. Bottle number 4 of 508. Enjoying it with a Graycliff Exclusivo …. Salute to my fallen military brothers and sisters on Memorial Day, 2023

Name:	IMG_4669.jpg
Views:	282
Size:	85.8 KB
ID:	1428942

Comment

This is not mine, unfortunately. And I promise it is not a bourbon bar. It is my brother in law's bourbon bar at his home. He has the time & means to accumulate lots of bottles, many being rare and pricey but also not forgetting the great daily drinkers. It is so cool sitting here and trying new things and not getting a bill.

Last time I was here sipping I had taken beef ribs there for dinner so we had a wonderful mutual exchange of deliciousness. Although he wouldn't open the George T Stagg for me so I guess my beef ribs need a bit more tweaking to be worthy.

Click image for larger version  Name:	IMAG8636.jpg Views:	27 Size:	194.5 KB ID:	1429194 Click image for larger version  Name:	IMAG8637.jpg Views:	29 Size:	214.0 KB ID:	1429198 Click image for larger version  Name:	IMAG8628.jpg Views:	27 Size:	198.2 KB ID:	1429195 Click image for larger version  Name:	IMAG8627.jpg Views:	28 Size:	162.6 KB ID:	1429196 Click image for larger version  Name:	IMAG8631.jpg Views:	29 Size:	76.5 KB ID:	1429191 Click image for larger version  Name:	IMAG8630.jpg Views:	28 Size:	92.4 KB ID:	1429192 Click image for larger version  Name:	IMAG8635.jpg Views:	27 Size:	88.4 KB ID:	1429193 Click image for larger version  Name:	IMAG8633.jpg Views:	38 Size:	86.3 KB ID:	1429189 Click image for larger version  Name:	IMAG8632.jpg Views:	30 Size:	85.1 KB ID:	1429190

And these bottles a re a few I tried. The Heaven Hill one is a private bottling you get to bottle yourself when you do a special tour and taste some samples. It was outstanding.

The Alberta Premium Rye (the last pic) is my favorite rye on the planet, it, to me, is simply unbeatable if you enjoy an herbal, floral rye. It is reportedly what Whistle Pig bought for their premium line (but cheaper, although still not 'cheap') while they were waiting to distill their own.

Comment

• barelfly
          barelfly commented
          Editing a comment
          Huskee - ha…ive learned not really to mix the bottles over the past few months. If I do, i try and stay with the same distillery at least, but even that… causes the confusion like you say!

#Palateconfusion 😂

• texastweeter
          texastweeter commented
          Editing a comment
          Stagg and Elmer t are both high dollar bourbon worth the price imo. I have been lucky to snag a few bottles of each over the years

• Huskee
          Huskee commented
          Editing a comment
          texastweeter I was able to find Stagg Jr once, way back when I had no idea what it was, it was $70 back then. Loved it. Truth be told though, I did a blind side by side of it (my nephew found a bottle and brought it over) with Elijah Craig Barrel Proof, and the EC beat it blindly. I've never seen Elmer anywhere, but tried it once at a restaurant. I'd love to find a bottle somewhere..

A special bottle tonight - 18yr Knob Creek to celebrate my 18yr work anniversary yesterday. I’ve had this bottle for a few months waiting for this day and this bottle does not disappoint!

Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_3407.jpg Views:	5 Size:	2.86 MB ID:	1430837
        Last edited by barelfly; June 2, 2023, 06:31 PM.

Comment

• barelfly
          barelfly commented
          Editing a comment
          Thank you, SheilaAnn

And…just made a dirty martini for the wife….shaken of course

• Alan Brice
          Alan Brice commented
          Editing a comment
          I got a baby's brain n an ol' mans heart
          Took eighteen years to get this far
          Don't always know what I'm talkin' about
          Feels like I'm livin' in the middle of doubt

Cause I'm eighteen, I get confused everyday
          Eighteen, I just don't know what to say
          Eighteen, I gotta get away....
          Alice Cooper

Congrats barelfly

• barelfly
          barelfly commented
          Editing a comment
          Thank you, Alan Brice !

This is in a real bar in downtown Sydney, Australia. It’s not far from Queen Victoria Building, down an alley and downstairs in a basement. The best way to go about things is tell the bartender what you like about whiskey and then let him choose something for you. It was a great evening with a great friend while I was there.

Name:	IMG_3562.jpg
Views:	310
Size:	74.2 KB
ID:	1430964

Name:	IMG_3563.jpg
Views:	302
Size:	94.8 KB
ID:	1430965

Name:	IMG_3564.jpg
Views:	305
Size:	99.9 KB
ID:	1430966

Name:	IMG_3565.jpg
Views:	298
Size:	71.3 KB
ID:	1430967

Comment

My new favorite. A nice rich sweet taste

Name:	20230603_193854.jpg
Views:	295
Size:	81.6 KB
ID:	1431333

Comment

• ssandy_561
            ssandy_561 commented
            Editing a comment
            Just bought my first bottle of this. It’s actually my first Bourbon ever I’ve bought to drink. I’ve enjoyed it the few times I’ve had it.

Came across this bottle today at Total Wine - been a while since I have purchased Maker’s and read a little about this BEP limited edition release. I like it, need to have it a few more times to really come up with a thought.

Also picked up a few other limited releases that I’ll share soon

Name:	IMG_3443.jpg
Views:	291
Size:	93.1 KB
ID:	1433528

Comment

Something I noticed the last couple of days, is that the Bullet, had a different taste after a couple of days. Almost like it turned sour on me. I then tried my Makers and that was perfect. Does this happen to bourbon after time.

Comment

• rlozinak
              rlozinak commented
              Editing a comment
              Not yesterday.

• Skinsfan1311
              Skinsfan1311 commented
              Editing a comment
              It absolutely happens, and it happens to me a lot. Palates change all the time. You may revisit the Bulleit, down the road, and it will taste great!

• Bkhuna
              Bkhuna commented
              Editing a comment
              A bottle never lasts long enough for me to worry about that.

I had a Makers last night.

Name:	7A6C542A-629D-495A-BB15-ED7D65118290.jpg
Views:	283
Size:	177.3 KB
ID:	1433866

Comment

• Alan Brice
              Alan Brice commented
              Editing a comment
              Nice shot ; - )

OF100
            Cheap and good!
            Attached Files

Comment

• Skinsfan1311
              Skinsfan1311 commented
              Editing a comment
              @barefly The BiB is good, but not worth the extra $$, IMHO. I have a bottle of the BiB, but will not be replacing it. The OF100 is better and the OF100 rye is also very good and both are crazy-cheap for quality whiskey.

• barelfly
              barelfly commented
              Editing a comment
              Thanks! This is what I’ve read as well. Save the money and buy the OF100 vs. BIB. I’ll do that and put the savings towards 1920 or 1910.

• Skinsfan1311
              Skinsfan1311 commented
              Editing a comment
              You're welcome! The 1920 is my favorite OF whiskey. I like, but don't love, the 1910. Wait until you try the 100...I think that you will be very impressed. It's much better than a lot of whiskey that costs twice as much.

JDSB rye.
            This one was gifted to me, but I will definitely replace it when it's gone.
            Attached Files

Comment

• barelfly
              barelfly commented
              Editing a comment
              I need to send you a few new glasses

I have not had the rye from JD, but their single barrels are excellent on the bourbon side!

Well….no photos today…but i’ve had a little of everything tonight in small pours:

Smoke Wagon uncut, unfiltered
            Woodford Reserve Double Oak
            Wild Turkey Rare Breed

I must say, the more I drink WT Rare Breed…..dang it is such a good pour. I’ve picked up a few bottles over the past half year and this is one that will always be in the cabinet!

Comment

• Alan Brice
              Alan Brice commented
              Editing a comment
              Have not seen the RB Rye. Will keep my rye out for that one ; -))

• Skinsfan1311
              Skinsfan1311 commented
              Editing a comment
              Alan Brice I don't see the WTRB Rye very often either.

• Huskee
              Huskee commented
              Editing a comment
              +1 for the WT Rare Breed rye. It is wonderful. It is my favorite Old Fashioned & Whiskey Sour mixer. More affordable and great is their 101 Rye, but Rare Breed is killer.

Happy Father's Day!
            Attached Files

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
            No announcement yet.
            Working...
            X
            false
            ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
            false
            false
            Yes
            ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/bbq-stars","\/forum\/bbq-stars\/tuffy-stone","\/forum\/bbq-stars\/meathead","\/forum\/bbq-stars\/harry-soo","\/forum\/bbq-stars\/matt-pittman","\/forum\/bbq-stars\/kent-rollins","\/forum\/bbq-stars\/dean-fearing","\/forum\/bbq-stars\/tim-grandinetti","\/forum\/bbq-stars\/kent-phillips-brett-gallaway","\/forum\/bbq-stars\/david-bouska","\/forum\/bbq-stars\/ariane-daguin","\/forum\/bbq-stars\/jack-arnold","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
            /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here