Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Show Us Your Bourbon/Whiskey/Rye/Scotch!

Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Show Us Your Bourbon/Whiskey/Rye/Scotch!

Giving this a go, as there are a number of us in The Pit that sip on a bourbon/whiskey/rye/scotch. So, that this thread could be about just that - bourbon/whiskey/rye/scotch and allow for us to provide reviews on any of the four, ask about bottles we are interested in trying or finding, and just have some fun with the good bottle finds we come across!

Let’s see it! What bourbon/whiskey/rye/scotch are you enjoying right now that you can share with us! Give us a review and a photo of that pour and let us know what we need to go look for next time we are at our local shop!

Or, if you need recommendations, let us know your likes and dislikes, flavor preferences and someone on here can give you a recommendation to find as well!
    Last edited by barelfly; March 13, 2023, 09:22 PM.

To start it off, here’s a few I posted on another thread but photos are what make these posts go a bit further.

So, the 18yr Knob Creek - I sampled this against the 12yr and 9yr Single Barrel Reserve. All are great bottles. The 18 year was well rounded and really smooth. So, I picked this bottle up after that comparison and will open up in a few months when I come up on my 18yr work anniversary. Can’t wait for that!

Click image for larger version

Name:	7D726884-8296-4BB0-9588-D745E1888675.jpg
Views:	776
Size:	167.3 KB
ID:	1390804

Also, a few bottles that I have been able to pick up recently that are so hard to find here in New Mexico. Anything out of the Buffalo Trace Distillery or Sazerac Company are just about impossible to get. Buffalo Trace seems to be available the last few months but the other bottles, it’s a treasure hunt. The EHT and Eagle Rare are bottles I’ve only seen a few times over the last few years. Weller SR, I use to be be able to get​ fairly easy when I would go to the lake, but I rarely see it these days. Total Wine just happened to have it stocked last week! And the other Weller bottles - I’ve never seen out on the market!

Name:	1DE6CCEE-75B4-46A4-A254-1B2FC3DA39BB.jpg
Views:	795
Size:	190.1 KB
ID:	1390805

And last, the Elijah Craig A123 release, that I have yet to open, but am excited to give a go. And the Russels Reserve Private Select Single Barrel. This RR bottle, first time I gave it a try, I was a bit disappointed in it, especially given the price I paid for it. But the second pour was tonight, and it was excellent! Really enjoyed it - from the front to the finish, it was a nice bourbon to sip on! I also have the RR 10yr which is excellent for the $40 price, and I have a sample of RR 13yr that someone sent to me that I’m planning to try blind against the 10yr and private barrel in the next few weeks. That should be a fun tasting!

Name:	4B412F57-A545-4CB7-9840-7955A22716AB.jpg
Views:	791
Size:	134.2 KB
ID:	1390803

Comment

• Huskee
      Huskee commented
      Editing a comment
      You have some mighty fine ones there. Personally I've never been too big on Weller, but Taylor, woo-wee!

• cruiseplanner1
      cruiseplanner1 commented
      Editing a comment
      I like Elijah Craig just not had it in barrel proof yet.

• texastweeter
      texastweeter commented
      Editing a comment
      Eagle rare used to be my go to, now I can't find it anywhere

A special bottle that I finished off the other night. My buddies gave this to me for my birthday a few years back. Chestnut Farms Bottled in Bond. Probably one of the more expensive bottles that I had prior to the past few months, but this was a great bottle. 100proof bottle that was so smooth and the viscosity of this bottle was amazing! I’ve tried the regular Chestnut Farms Bourbon, but it’s been some time since I had that and don’t remember, so I may need to pick up another bottle to try it out. Both are bottles that are readily available here in New Mexico, which makes it even more likely that I’ll give the regular bottle a go.

Name:	719A2A28-C34C-4007-87A9-F7C34CFB3050.jpg
Views:	748
Size:	157.0 KB
ID:	1390809

Comment

Very cool topic, I hope this stays as a go-to whiskey topic. I'll have to wait until I'm home and can get a photo of a few of my favorites and share a group photo!

Comment

• barelfly
        barelfly commented
        Editing a comment
        My hope is to have the chance to try some new bottles based on what others post here. I’ve watched a number of YT videos lately that have suggested bottles that have been great. Would love to see that happen here as well, even if others start to post about their preferred flavor profiles and such. It will be great!

For now I'll share this. It's my version of an Infinity Bottle. What I did was each bourbon (not rye or Scotch) that I tried I'd dump a quick glug-glug into this Yellowstone bottle. I intended to do this until it was full. My rules were I could only add each type of bourbon once (I'd write it on the bottle to keep track), but I could add a glug of, say, Old Forester 1870 and another of Old Forester 1920 since they're different, and I couldn't sip it at all until it was full. There's really only one in there I didn't care much for, then I decided to only add ones I liked (which is most) from then on.

Well, it took 4 years and 22 bourbons but I finally filled 'er up! I will taste it soon but as of typing this I haven't yet.

Click image for larger version  Name:	20230304_183423.jpg Views:	0 Size:	3.47 MB ID:	1390822

Comment

• Huskee
        Huskee commented
        Editing a comment
        barelfly There was a small glug of it left in that bottle when I started, so I guess yeah it was my base. A 750mL bottle is ~25 oz and I have 22 bourbons in it so I used an avg of a smidge over an ounce of each bourbon, so it was a small base to start with Side note, not really a Yellowstone fan, too nutty to me. It was the first & last one I bought.

• texastweeter
        texastweeter commented
        Editing a comment
        Taste it yet?

• Huskee
        Huskee commented
        Editing a comment
        texastweeter I have! This past summer. It is wonderful, it is as good as the sum of its parts, as I'd hoped!

I have been a whiskey drinker most of my life. I like Seagrams 7. But lately I have discovered bourbon and seem to like Makers Mark

Comment

• CaptainMike
        CaptainMike commented
        Editing a comment
        MM is my daily drinker...
        Papa's Medicine, I like to call it.

• Huskee
        Huskee commented
        Editing a comment
        Like BBQ sauce, music, dogs, or trucks, there's no wrong answer just whatever you like!

Jameson is my favorite. However, I also like a good moonshine. During Summer months, I am also a lover of Rum.

Comment

• Huskee
        Huskee commented
        Editing a comment
        I love moonshine too. I was blown away by how sweet it is the first time I tried it. I thought it would taste like Everclear, harsh & nasty, but it's soooo good. Reminds me of kettle corn in a bottle.

Gotta bottle of Four Roses as a gift. Finished my Makers Mark but haven't cracked this yet, don't know why....still developing my bourbon taste buds
      Been knawing on this bottle of Crown now for months but gotta admit I'm more of a fan of they're Northern Harvest or Black labeled ryes.
      Scotch just ain't my cuppa tea, never buy it.
      Won't turn up my nose at a shot a rum usually spiced but fine myself drawn to darker or Navy rums as I get older.
      Attached Files
      Last edited by smokin fool; March 13, 2023, 12:54 PM.

Comment

• jitsntricks
        jitsntricks commented
        Editing a comment
        barelfly ... I have NOT tried that yet. Maybe that's something I'll look into! Thanks for the recommendation!

• Elton's BBQ
        Elton's BBQ commented
        Editing a comment
        What?!
        No Seagrams 7?

• smokin fool
        smokin fool commented
        Editing a comment
        I'll go as far as buying Crown from Seagrams as far as they're working man's whiskeys go there's much better ryes out there than they're prohibition hooch.
        With the proliferation of smaller distillers that make tastier whiskeys Seagrams just dont make the cut anymore..
        But that's my opinion for what it's worth.

I found a couple nice bottles of Glen Scotia yesterday. I cleaned the store out, lol . Tasty juice!

Click image for larger version  Name:	PXL_20230316_012018453.jpg Views:	0 Size:	1.60 MB ID:	1392395

Comment

• Huskee
        Huskee commented
        Editing a comment
        Is this your favorite? I've never tasted this brand.

• nikolausp
        nikolausp commented
        Editing a comment
        Not necessarily favorite, no. But it's pretty good I think. I know bourbon a lot better than Scotch to be honest. Glen Scotia has done really well recently in some pretty nice Whiskey Awards, and following that, the Victoriana in particular is rather hard to find right now. I happened across a store that had those bottles well underpriced compared to the rest of the market.

• nikolausp
        nikolausp commented
        Editing a comment
        Victoriana won Best Single Malt Scotch Whisky 2022

Here's a decent list of some other awards Glen Scotia has won recently...

Glen Scotia is a well-known Scottish whiskey brand, founded in 1832. It is one of the smallest whiskey distilleries in Scotland, but it still managed

I was sipping on this last night. Dixon Dedman is the guy behind Kentucky Owl, if you've heard of that brand....He's known as pretty a legendary blender. He sold Kentucky Owl, and started 2XO. The Phoenix is his first 2XO release.

Name:	PXL_20230316_024308687.jpg
Views:	720
Size:	86.8 KB
ID:	1392434

Comment

• barelfly
        barelfly commented
        Editing a comment
        That is a classy label! Don’t know if I’ve seen this bottle, will have to look.

• Huskee
        Huskee commented
        Editing a comment
        Has a Scotch-esque label. I've heard of KY Owl but haven't tried it. Interesting info, thanks!

Already posted this on another thread. Worthy contender here. Just say “White label “, they will know what you are looking for. Nice for the price Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	709
Size:	71.5 KB
ID:	1392860

Comment

• Alan Brice
        Alan Brice commented
        Editing a comment
        barelfly It will stand up to a cube. I generally do not mix my brown liquors. Great neat.

• Huskee
        Huskee commented
        Editing a comment
        That is a good one for the price at 100pr for sure! Not a fan of their single barrel, at least the ones I've tried, but this is good and cheap.

• texastweeter
        texastweeter commented
        Editing a comment
        My go to for an old fashioned. It's strong enough it doesn't get watered down.

Click image for larger version  Name:	8778353A-5405-4298-AA7B-99947D172C4E.jpg Views:	0 Size:	3.88 MB ID:	1392867 I am recently acquainted with this, and found out there is a full proof version. Cute story on the bottle, about the name/label. It is a wheated version of the Old Fitzgerald brand. Very Nice. Sorry, Kim is the photographer in the family.
      Last edited by Alan Brice; March 17, 2023, 08:44 AM. Reason: apology

Comment

• barelfly
        barelfly commented
        Editing a comment
        Another I have yet to try. And the Barrel Proof, I watched a review of it compared to Elijah Craig BP. Both were highly thought of. Thanks for sharing this! This is another pick that is great on teh pricing as well from what I remember!

• Huskee
        Huskee commented
        Editing a comment
        If you get a chance to try their Barrel Proof version, it's a whole new animal from this and it's wonderful.

• Skinsfan1311
        Skinsfan1311 commented
        Editing a comment
        Larceny BP drinks hotter than many barrel proofers but, (not a fan), but if you find the C922 release, jump on it. I love that one, with a splash, and it holds up over a large cube.

This is a list of my absolute go-to's. Bottles that I always try to have on hand.

1. Buffalo Trace
      2. Anything from Wild Turkey, but especially Rare Breed and Russell's Reserve
      3. Knob Creek Single Barrel 120 proof
      4. Jack Daniels Single Barrel - Barrel Proof
      5. Booker's
      6. Old Forester 1920 Prohibition Style
      7. Evan Williams White Label - Bottled-in-Bond
      8. Four Roses Small Batch Select
      9. Redbreast 15-year Irish Whiskey
      Attached Files

Comment

• Huskee
        Huskee commented
        Editing a comment
        Great stuff! The Jack Daniels Single Barrel Barrel Proof is another world from their standard Jack. It is amazing. Have you tried their Single Barrel Barrel Proof rye? It competes with Alberta Distillers' Alberta Premium Rye as my 2 favorite ryes on earth, simply outstanding.

• Skinsfan1311
        Skinsfan1311 commented
        Editing a comment
        Ahh.....a fellow Turkey Head! With apologies to Old Granddad 114, the JDSBBP is the biggest bang for the buck for barrel proofers out there. I hope that JD doesn't go the Beam route, (like they did to Booker's), and start raising the price. It's a shame, because Booker's was my go-to barrel proofer, until the price went North of $60.00
        Last edited by Skinsfan1311; March 19, 2023, 09:28 AM. Reason: grammar

• luvthemstillers
        luvthemstillers commented
        Editing a comment
        Huskee Yes I've tried their Single Barrel Barrel Proof Rye, and I agree that it is excellent.

Well, if there isn’t a better day to dabble my toe into Irish Whiskey tried a few Total Wine was sampling today, I almost when with Jameson Black Barrel, but after tasting this Eagan’s, it was excellent with the cognac finish! and while perusing, I happened to get lucky on the Old Forester Single Barrel bottle!

I’ll comment later after I pour a bit for a sipper!

Sláinte!

Name:	0A6890E6-422A-4CBC-BC1A-926FCBABAFD5.jpg
Views:	699
Size:	253.0 KB
ID:	1393160

Comment

Love this stuff. Learned of it at the 9:22 shot at a BBQ comp.
        Attached Files

Comment

• barelfly
          barelfly commented
          Editing a comment
          Welcome from the Land of Enchantment! And great first post! I’ve yet to try the Bird Dog brand, but I’ve heard some great things about it.

Announcement

Collapse
      No announcement yet.
      Working...
      X
      false
      ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
      false
      false
      {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
      Yes
      ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
      /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here