Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How to make sourdough bread...

Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Nice...πŸ‘ Great loaf. I love the color of your crust.

We all develop our own style of perfection in pursuit of the perfect loaf.

The thing I most enjoy about your bread baking posts is you've obviously become enamored with the pursuit of the PERFECT loaf.πŸ‘

You're hooked MBMorgan ... You NEVER quit learning and you rarely get the perfect loaf.

I like having you as a member of our sourdough club.πŸ‘Œ

Comment

• MBMorgan
      MBMorgan commented
      Editing a comment
      Thanks, my friend ...

That's a great looking boule MBMorgan - both crust and crumb.

Comment

• MBMorgan
      MBMorgan commented
      Editing a comment
      Thanks, Ron ...

Fendue...

Hmmm... Interesting. I'm game.πŸ˜† Let's all do a findu experiment.πŸ‘

As you will all learn... Shaping and scoring the dough is the creative part of bread baking. Once you learn the science and mixing techniques... Making your loaf pretty is what separates the men from the boys.πŸ˜†

Pretty is... crust, crumb, ears and the bottom of the loaf... All have to be perfect.😎

Fendu... Is a shaping technique so you can use whatever dough you want. Sourdough, French, Ciabatta... Whatever.πŸ€”

Comment

• RonB
      RonB commented
      Editing a comment
      Some time ago I played around with Fendue, but with rolls - not batards. It is easier, and does give a pleasing shape. I need to try it again with something larger.

For you Kindle users, Amazon has Peter Reinhart's Book "Artisan Breads Every Day: Fast and Easy Recipes for World-Class Breads" on sale for $1.99

Comment

• Breadhead
      Breadhead commented
      Editing a comment
      Cool... thanks for the heads up. Will it work on my iPad?

• MBMorgan
      MBMorgan commented
      Editing a comment
      Breadhead - it will work on your iPad if you have the Kindle Reader app installed. If you don't own a Kindle (I do but I prefer the iPad these days) then I'm not sure you'll be able to set up an Amazon account that will let you get the Kindle app and make Kindle ebook purchases.

Finally got success! Breadhead has it right...it's all about technique. Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1311.jpg
Views:	171
Size:	131.0 KB
ID:	225113 Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1313.jpg
Views:	182
Size:	151.1 KB
ID:	225114

Comment

• Ray
      Ray commented
      Editing a comment
      Thanks, Breadhead. I proofed this loaf in a banneton top side down. Then, I guess I was getting cocky when I scored the dough in a shallow "S" curve pattern prior to closing the DO with the lid. Haha!

• Ray
      Ray commented
      Editing a comment
      In any case, the oven spring was good and it opened up nicely, for sure. Family gets a chance to eat this tonight; the baker has first taste rights here! Many thanks for your help and instruction.

• RonB
      RonB commented
      Editing a comment
      That's a great looking boule Ray .

Originally posted by Ray View Post
    Finally got success! Breadhead has it right...it's all about technique. [ATTACH=CONFIG]n225113[/ATTACH] [ATTACH=CONFIG]n225114[/ATTACH]
    Recipes for sourdough bread are a dime a dozen and they only have very slight differences. You could mix up a huge batch of dough and give equal amounts to 20 different people and you would end up with 20 different looking loaves of bread. The only difference being the techniques and timing that each person used at each step of the process.

Rich & Famous sourdough bread bakers got that way by being able to make their loaves look beautiful and taste even better. Their technique and extended fermentation of their dough separates them from the wannbe's.πŸ‘Œ

You all have the recipes... now refine your techniques. Every loaf you make gets easier and comes out closer to how you wanted it to. Repetition, repetition, repetition...

Make EXACTLY the same recipe/formula over and over until you perfect ALL of the techniques. If you keep changing the recipe you won't know if your problem was the recipe or your technique. Even though I would venture to say all mistakes are due to bad timing or bad techniques.
    Last edited by Breadhead; September 27, 2016, 03:37 PM.

Comment

Today's loaves...

#1 - This one I used a new starter I've been building for a few weeks.

The starter: 100% hydration
      50% Bread Flour
      25% WW Flour
      25% Rye Flour

The intent is to change the flavor of my bread and add more sourdough tang. I developed this on my counter top but now that it is active and healthy I'll move it into the fridge and feed it every 3 days. That will boost the acidic acid which will give the added tang I'm looking for plus the addition of the Rye flour will change the flavor profile.

Formula:
      550 grams bread flour
      100 grams new starter
      350 grams water (85Β°)
      12 grams salt
      Or
      600 grams flour = 100%
      400 grams water = 66.6%
      12 grams salt = 2%

I used the 85Β° water because it's a same day loaf and I wanted to speed up the process some.

#2 - My regular starter but I've been keeping it in the fridge for the last month and feeding it every 3 days. The intent, more acidic tang.πŸ‘

Formula:
      500 grams bread flour
      200 grams starter
      300 grams water (85Β°)
      12 grams salt

Or

600 grams flour = 100%
      400 grams water = 66.6%
      12 grams salt = 2%

Essentially the same loaf of bread with different starters. They are bulk fermenting now in my handy dandy cheap painting buckets that have volume scales on the sides, so I can monitor the rise easily.πŸ‘ I use cheap shower caps I steal from hotel rooms to cover my painting buckets.πŸ˜†
      Attached Files

Comment

I forgot to post pictures for the above loaves. They came out nicely and I like the touch of Rye flour in my new starter.πŸ‘

Attached Files

Comment

• MBMorgan
          MBMorgan commented
          Editing a comment
          Very nice indeed!

• RonB
          RonB commented
          Editing a comment
          Very well done.

So, BH, you down for the Modernist Bread compendium? Seems like it's up your alley.

Comment

Originally posted by Potkettleblack View Post
          So, BH, you down for the Modernist Bread compendium? Seems like it's up your alley.
          Normally... I don't buy cook books. I received the Modernist Cuisine collection of 6 books as a gift. I did buy Meathead's book, more as an expression of appreciation of what he has done for my BBQ game.

However... I'm extremely pleased with MC and am flabbergasted why anyone would spend that much money to compose those extraordinary books. I'm sure he is going to produce the most comprehensive compendium on bread ever composed.

Being a breadhead... I have no way of resisting those books!

Comment

Friday's loaf... I used my new starter that has 25% Rye flour in it. Baked on the BGE with the SS mixing bowl. Scored it with a circle and then x'ed the circle. I got a nice rise which showed the scoring nicely.Ò€‹Ò€‹Ò€‹Ò€‹Ò€‹Ò€‹Ò€‹

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_6325.JPG
Views:	148
Size:	259.5 KB
ID:	225955 Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_6318.JPG
Views:	179
Size:	164.3 KB
ID:	225956 Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_6320.JPG
Views:	176
Size:	249.8 KB
ID:	225954 Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_6315.JPG
Views:	145
Size:	147.6 KB
ID:	225953

Last edited by Breadhead; September 30, 2016, 06:34 PM.

Comment

• Ray
              Ray commented
              Editing a comment
              Breadhead- Thats a fantastic looking loaf!

• Thunder77
              Thunder77 commented
              Editing a comment
              πŸ‘ Did you get much rye flavor?

• Breadhead
              Breadhead commented
              Editing a comment
              Rye flavor... a slight hint, not much. Next loaf I'm going to use Rye flour as 20% of the weight of my total flour. That will boost the Rye flavor.

Sourdough Non-Starter -- I decided to give baking sourdough bread a try so I began the process more than three weeks ago. I got the first activity and figured I was on my way. Started the dump and feel process and it never came back to life. Now re-reading the posts I would say the only thing I didn't do was use bread flour. I used equal parts all purpose flour and whole wheat flour with water. Do I dump the whole thing and start over? I hate giving up. Thanks for all the information.

Comment

Originally posted by dixhillsmoker View Post
              Sourdough Non-Starter -- I decided to give baking sourdough bread a try so I began the process more than three weeks ago. I got the first activity and figured I was on my way. Started the dump and feel process and it never came back to life. Now re-reading the posts I would say the only thing I didn't do was use bread flour. I used equal parts all purpose flour and whole wheat flour with water. Do I dump the whole thing and start over? I hate giving up. Thanks for all the information.
              Welcome to our sourdough bread making club dixhillsmoker πŸ‘

AP flour is fine. That wasn't your problem. Are you dumping and feeding every 24 hours? Are you keeping your container sealed closed except during feeding time?

I wouldn't start over. Just keep dumping and feeding every 24 hours. We know there was activity once. That tells me it will bloom eventually. I bet you're not far away from having an active start.
              Last edited by Breadhead; October 4, 2016, 10:24 PM.

Comment

• dixhillsmoker
                dixhillsmoker commented
                Editing a comment
                Yes I am keeping it covered with plastic wrap, dumping and feeding every 24 hours. I will hang in there and see if it comes around.
                thanks for the reply

Northwest Sourdough has a new video up titled Yohan Ferrant's Do Nothing Bread, Extreme Low Inoculation Pt 1

Northwest Sourdough

The above link is to NWS's youtube channel. The link to the above video is the first video on the page. There are lots of sourdough videos here too.
              Last edited by RonB; October 5, 2016, 06:00 PM.

Comment

• Breadhead
                Breadhead commented
                Editing a comment
                Northwestsourdough.com ... used to have a website with moderator's that were excellent teachers. That site was shutdown a couple of years ago.😑 Teresa is doing it herself now. She is an excellent sourdough source of information.πŸ‘

Just found a literal treasure trove of videos by the San Francisco Baking Institute on YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCo-...AuPqyi_p5ZxNGg

Comment

• Breadhead
                Breadhead commented
                Editing a comment
                I've watched many of their videos before. They are a great source for bread making information.πŸ‘

Announcement

Collapse
            No announcement yet.
            Working...
            X
            false
            ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
            false
            false
            {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
            Yes
            ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
            /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here