Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How to make sourdough bread...

Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Huskee
    replied
    How's this to show off your baking creations jfmorris ? https://pitmaster.amazingribs.com/fo...-you-re-baking

Leave a comment:

• hoovarmin
    replied
    This is from the same dough as yesterday, only this one went into the fridge after 4 hours of proofing. Yesterday's proofed on the counter for 5 hours. As suggested by Richard Chrz I put it on the steel with the broiler on for 90 seconds before pulling it out and dressing it. Then back in the oven on bake for 6 minutes, followed by 2 minutes under the broiler at the high setting. Much better results in terms of open crumb. Some browning this time as well. The tan color derives from feeding my starter with KA organic whole rye flour.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4292.jpg
Views:	122
Size:	229.7 KB
ID:	1356580 Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4295.jpg
Views:	110
Size:	78.5 KB
ID:	1356581 Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4294.jpg
Views:	112
Size:	115.3 KB
ID:	1356582

Leave a comment:

• hoovarmin
    commented on 's reply
    rickgregory you are right. I have my Kamado, and usually make my pies on it in the 900 F range. But being sick lately and the weather being crappy I kept this bake indoors.

• rickgregory
    commented on 's reply
    hoovarmin - so, in a home oven we're not going to get Neopolitan style pie. It require heat that a home oven just doesn't do. If that's what you want, you'll need an Ooni or similar. For oven pies, you're looking at more of a NY style meaning you want to use a dough for that. A lot of recipes will add a little olive oil and some sugar or diastatic malt to help browning. Bakes are in the 8-12 min range at 450-500F.

Bottom line, don't try to force what a home oven can't do.

• hoovarmin
    commented on 's reply
    I'll give that a go with one of the remaining dough balls in the fridge today. As Rick indicated above, mine was 70% with the starter.

• hoovarmin
    commented on 's reply
    jfmorris I have had the same issue before with Paprika. Only once, that I am aware of, but it led to a major screw up.

• hoovarmin
    commented on 's reply
    rickgregory after heating the steel for an hour and a half on high broil, the oven temp was 532 F, according to the digital readout. The oven will reach 550, but at the end, when the broiler is switched on to finish the pizza, it only provides radiant heat in a narrow sliver down the middle of the oven. For $3500 I regard it as one of my biggest wastes of money. It's a GE Cafe gas range.

• rickgregory
    replied
    I've been thinking of starting a Baking Tips thread that would be just quick tips on things to do or not do. Pitfalls, tricks to help out, etc. Simple stuff like 'make sure your dough temp after mixing is in the 75F range else things will go more slowly' etc.
    Last edited by rickgregory; January 5, 2023, 10:22 AM.

Leave a comment:

• Richard Chrz
    commented on 's reply
    I also suggest if not doing it already, preheat the steel with broil, and do a 60-90 second pre bake sans sauce and toppings. It helps puff it up a bit. You loose a inch in diameter maybe? My pizzas with levain considered are also likely closer to 73 percent hydration?

• jhapka
    commented on 's reply
    I kind of love how it’s been hijacked and that the thread was started by a banned member. Lots of character in the thread imho. Also love that it’s been more lively lately. Must be bread szn

• jhapka
    commented on 's reply
    jfmorris I was just about to say it looks like it needed more time with the lid off but you’re on top of it. Stellar loaf

• rickgregory
    commented on 's reply
    That looks excellent Jim. And yes, I usually do ~20 minutes with the lid on, then the rest of the time with it off.

• rickgregory
    commented on 's reply
    hoovarmin - water and flour in the starter count toward hydration. If that was a 100% starter that's a 70% dough.

What do you mean by your oven 'doesn't perform well' though? Doesn't hold temp? Doesn't get to temp? Can't get to 500F?

In terms of bubbles, I'd consider dropping the starter percentage and letting it ferment at least overnight before using it.

• jfmorris
    commented on 's reply
    Well CRAP!

I just re-read the recipe link I posted, and apparently when I sucked this into Paprika it left off steps 13 through 15. I pulled the dutch oven at 45 minutes and called it done. They say to remove the lid and bake another 10-15! Ouch! No wonder its not as crusty as I expected...

I'll have to try again, and do it RIGHT next time!

• hoovarmin
    commented on 's reply
    mnavarre that makes a lot of sense. When a starter is used, I'm not sure whether it is figured into the hydration calculation. Without including it, the hydration rate was only 60%. My starter was mixed in a 1:5:5 ratio and I added 250 g of it.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
Working...
X
false
["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
false
false
{"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
Yes
["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
/forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here