Welcome!

This is a membership forum. As a guest, you can click around a bit. View 3 pages for free. If you would like to participate, please join.

[ Lost Username or Password | Pitmaster Club Information, | Join 30 Days Free | Contact Us ]

There are 2 page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse

Meat-Up in Memphis 2021

WE'RE SELLING OUT FAST! Less than 10 seats available. Secure your spot by booking now!
Click here for details. (https://amazingribs.com/memphis)
See more
See less

How to make sourdough bread...

Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Breadhead
    Banned Former Member
    • Jul 2014

Nice...πŸ‘ Great loaf. I love the color of your crust.

We all develop our own style of perfection in pursuit of the perfect loaf.πŸ˜‰

The thing I most enjoy about your bread baking posts is you've obviously become enamored with the pursuit of the PERFECT loaf.πŸ‘

You're hooked Mbmorgan ... You NEVER quit learning and you rarely get the perfect loaf.

I like having you as a member of our sourdough club.πŸ‘Œ

Comment

• MBMorgan
      MBMorgan commented
      Editing a comment
      Thanks, my friend ...
  • RonB
    Club Member
    • Apr 2016
    • Near Richmond VA
    • Weber Performer Deluxe
      SNS
      Pizza insert
      Rotisserie
      Smokenator 1000
      Cookshack Smokette Elite
      2 Thermapens
      Chefalarm
      Dot
      lots of probes.
      CyberQ

That's a great looking boule Mbmorgan - both crust and crumb.

Comment

• MBMorgan
      MBMorgan commented
      Editing a comment
      Thanks, Ron ...
  • Breadhead
    Banned Former Member
    • Jul 2014

Fendue...

Hmmm... Interesting. I'm game.πŸ˜† Let's all do a findu experiment.πŸ‘

As you will all learn... Shaping and scoring the dough is the creative part of bread baking. Once you learn the science and mixing techniques... Making your loaf pretty is what separates the men from the boys.πŸ˜†

Pretty is... crust, crumb, ears and the bottom of the loaf... All have to be perfect.😎

Fendu... Is a shaping technique so you can use whatever dough you want. Sourdough, French, Ciabatta... Whatever.πŸ€”

Comment

• RonB
      RonB commented
      Editing a comment
      Some time ago I played around with Fendue, but with rolls - not batards. It is easier, and does give a pleasing shape. I need to try it again with something larger.
  • MBMorgan
    Club Member
    • Sep 2015
    • Colorado
    • > Weber Genesis EP-330
      > Grilla Grills Original Grilla (OG) pellet smoker
      > Pit Barrel Cooker (gone to a new home)
      > WeberQ 2000 (on "loan" to a relative)
      > Old Smokey Electric (for chickens mostly - when it's too nasty out
      to fiddle with a more capable cooker)
      > Luhr Jensen Little Chief Electric - Top Loader circa 1990 (smoked fish & jerky)
      > Thermoworks Smoke
      > 3 Thermoworks Chef Alarms
      > Thermoworks Thermapen
      > Thermoworks IR-GUN-S
      > Anova sous vide circulator
      > Searzall torch
      > BBQ Guru Rib Ring

> Favorite Beer: Guinness Extra Stout, Fat Tire, Anchor Steam, or Alaskan Amber
      > Favorite Wine: Klinker Brick Old Ghost Zinfandel or Matetic Corralillo Winemaker's Blend
      > Favorite Whiskey: Balvenie Double Wood Scotch or Jameson Irish

For you Kindle users, Amazon has Peter Reinhart's Book "Artisan Breads Every Day: Fast and Easy Recipes for World-Class Breads" on sale for $1.99

Comment

• Breadhead
      Breadhead commented
      Editing a comment
      Cool... thanks for the heads up. Will it work on my iPad?

• MBMorgan
      MBMorgan commented
      Editing a comment
      Breadhead - it will work on your iPad if you have the Kindle Reader app installed. If you don't own a Kindle (I do but I prefer the iPad these days) then I'm not sure you'll be able to set up an Amazon account that will let you get the Kindle app and make Kindle ebook purchases.
  • Ray
    Ray
    Charter Member
    • Sep 2014
    • Central IN
    • Ò€‹Green Mountain Davy Crockett pellet grill/smoker
      Weber Summit Gas grill
      Masterbuilt 30" electric smoker
      Maverick ET-733
      Thermapen
      ThemoPop thermometer
      Favorite beer: Fuller's ESB
      Favorite cheap beer: Old Chub or Robert the Bruce if they are ever on sale.
      Favorite wine: Cabernet Savignon, some Super Tuscans

Finally got success! Breadhead has it right...it's all about technique. Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1311.jpg
Views:	49
Size:	2.38 MB
ID:	225113 Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1313.jpg
Views:	43
Size:	2.27 MB
ID:	225114

Comment

• Ray
      Ray commented
      Editing a comment
      Thanks, Breadhead. I proofed this loaf in a banneton top side down. Then, I guess I was getting cocky when I scored the dough in a shallow "S" curve pattern prior to closing the DO with the lid. Haha!

• Ray
      Ray commented
      Editing a comment
      In any case, the oven spring was good and it opened up nicely, for sure. Family gets a chance to eat this tonight; the baker has first taste rights here! Many thanks for your help and instruction.

• RonB
      RonB commented
      Editing a comment
      That's a great looking boule Ray .
  • Breadhead
    Banned Former Member
    • Jul 2014

Originally posted by Ray View Post
    Finally got success! Breadhead has it right...it's all about technique. [ATTACH=CONFIG]n225113[/ATTACH] [ATTACH=CONFIG]n225114[/ATTACH]
    Recipes for sourdough bread are a dime a dozen and they only have very slight differences. You could mix up a huge batch of dough and give equal amounts to 20 different people and you would end up with 20 different looking loaves of bread. The only difference being the techniques and timing that each person used at each step of the process.

Rich & Famous sourdough bread bakers got that way by being able to make their loaves look beautiful and taste even better. Their technique and extended fermentation of their dough separates them from the wannbe's.πŸ‘Œ

You all have the recipes... now refine your techniques. Every loaf you make gets easier and comes out closer to how you wanted it to. Repetition, repetition, repetition...

Make EXACTLY the same recipe/formula over and over until you perfect ALL of the techniques. If you keep changing the recipe you won't know if your problem was the recipe or your technique. Even though I would venture to say all mistakes are due to bad timing or bad techniques.
    Last edited by Breadhead; September 27, 2016, 03:37 PM.

Comment

• Breadhead
      Banned Former Member
      • Jul 2014

Today's loaves...

#1 - This one I used a new starter I've been building for a few weeks.

The starter: 100% hydration
      50% Bread Flour
      25% WW Flour
      25% Rye Flour

The intent is to change the flavor of my bread and add more sourdough tang. I developed this on my counter top but now that it is active and healthy I'll move it into the fridge and feed it every 3 days. That will boost the acidic acid which will give the added tang I'm looking for plus the addition of the Rye flour will change the flavor profile.

Formula:
      550 grams bread flour
      100 grams new starter
      350 grams water (85Β°)
      12 grams salt
      Or
      600 grams flour = 100%
      400 grams water = 66.6%
      12 grams salt = 2%

I used the 85Β° water because it's a same day loaf and I wanted to speed up the process some.

#2 - My regular starter but I've been keeping it in the fridge for the last month and feeding it every 3 days. The intent, more acidic tang.πŸ‘

Formula:
      500 grams bread flour
      200 grams starter
      300 grams water (85Β°)
      12 grams salt

Or

600 grams flour = 100%
      400 grams water = 66.6%
      12 grams salt = 2%

Essentially the same loaf of bread with different starters. They are bulk fermenting now in my handy dandy cheap painting buckets that have volume scales on the sides, so I can monitor the rise easily.πŸ‘ I use cheap shower caps I steal from hotel rooms to cover my painting buckets.πŸ˜†
      Attached Files

Comment

• Breadhead
        Banned Former Member
        • Jul 2014

I forgot to post pictures for the above loaves. They came out nicely and I like the touch of Rye flour in my new starter.πŸ‘

Attached Files

Comment

• MBMorgan
          MBMorgan commented
          Editing a comment
          Very nice indeed!

• RonB
          RonB commented
          Editing a comment
          Very well done.
      • Potkettleblack
        Club Member
        • Jun 2016
        • Beautiful Downtown Berwyn
        • Grill: Grilla Original / Weber Genesis EP-330 / OK Joe Bronco Drum
          Thermometers: Thermapen / iGrill 2 / Fireboard
          For Smoke: Chunks / Pellet Tube / Mo Pouch
          Sous Vide: Joule / Nomiku WiFi (RIP Nomiku)
          Disqus: Le Chef - (something something something) - it changes

So, BH, you down for the Modernist Bread compendium? Seems like it's up your alley.

Comment

• Breadhead
          Banned Former Member
          • Jul 2014

Originally posted by Potkettleblack View Post
          So, BH, you down for the Modernist Bread compendium? Seems like it's up your alley.
          Normally... I don't buy cook books. I received the Modernist Cuisine collection of 6 books as a gift. I did buy Meathead's book, more as an expression of appreciation of what he has done for my BBQ game.

However... I'm extremely pleased with MC and am flabbergasted why anyone would spend that much money to compose those extraordinary books. I'm sure he is going to produce the most comprehensive compendium on bread ever composed.

Being a breadhead... I have no way of resisting those books!

Comment

• Breadhead
            Banned Former Member
            • Jul 2014

Friday's loaf... I used my new starter that has 25% Rye flour in it. Baked on the BGE with the SS mixing bowl. Scored it with a circle and then x'ed the circle. I got a nice rise which showed the scoring nicely.​​​​​​​

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_6325.JPG
Views:	35
Size:	1.70 MB
ID:	225955 Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_6318.JPG
Size:	1.07 MB
ID:	225956 Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_6320.JPG
Size:	1.63 MB
ID:	225954 Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_6315.JPG
Views:	40
Size:	1.03 MB
ID:	225953

Last edited by Breadhead; September 30, 2016, 06:34 PM.

Comment

• Ray
              Ray commented
              Editing a comment
              Breadhead- Thats a fantastic looking loaf!

• Thunder77
              Thunder77 commented
              Editing a comment
              πŸ‘ Did you get much rye flavor?

• Breadhead
              Breadhead commented
              Editing a comment
              Rye flavor... a slight hint, not much. Next loaf I'm going to use Rye flour as 20% of the weight of my total flour. That will boost the Rye flavor.
          • dixhillsmoker
            Charter Member
            • Nov 2014
            • Vision Kamado ceramic grill
              Nexgrill propane grill
              Maverick ET732
              Thermoworks RT600c

Favorite Beer Smithwicks
              Favorite Vodka Ketel One
              Favorite Bourbon Maker's Mark

Sourdough Non-Starter -- I decided to give baking sourdough bread a try so I began the process more than three weeks ago. I got the first activity and figured I was on my way. Started the dump and feel process and it never came back to life. Now re-reading the posts I would say the only thing I didn't do was use bread flour. I used equal parts all purpose flour and whole wheat flour with water. Do I dump the whole thing and start over? I hate giving up. Thanks for all the information.

Comment

• Breadhead
              Banned Former Member
              • Jul 2014

Originally posted by dixhillsmoker View Post
              Sourdough Non-Starter -- I decided to give baking sourdough bread a try so I began the process more than three weeks ago. I got the first activity and figured I was on my way. Started the dump and feel process and it never came back to life. Now re-reading the posts I would say the only thing I didn't do was use bread flour. I used equal parts all purpose flour and whole wheat flour with water. Do I dump the whole thing and start over? I hate giving up. Thanks for all the information.
              Welcome to our sourdough bread making club dixhillsmoker πŸ‘

AP flour is fine. That wasn't your problem. Are you dumping and feeding every 24 hours? Are you keeping your container sealed closed except during feeding time?

I wouldn't start over. Just keep dumping and feeding every 24 hours. We know there was activity once. That tells me it will bloom eventually. I bet you're not far away from having an active start.
              Last edited by Breadhead; October 4, 2016, 10:24 PM.

Comment

• dixhillsmoker
                dixhillsmoker commented
                Editing a comment
                Yes I am keeping it covered with plastic wrap, dumping and feeding every 24 hours. I will hang in there and see if it comes around.
                thanks for the reply
            • RonB
              Club Member
              • Apr 2016
              • Near Richmond VA
              • Weber Performer Deluxe
                SNS
                Pizza insert
                Rotisserie
                Smokenator 1000
                Cookshack Smokette Elite
                2 Thermapens
                Chefalarm
                Dot
                lots of probes.
                CyberQ

Northwest Sourdough has a new video up titled Yohan Ferrant's Do Nothing Bread, Extreme Low Inoculation Pt 1

Northwest Sourdough

The above link is to NWS's youtube channel. The link to the above video is the first video on the page. There are lots of sourdough videos here too.
              Last edited by RonB; October 5, 2016, 06:00 PM.

Comment

• Breadhead
                Breadhead commented
                Editing a comment
                Northwestsourdough.com ... used to have a website with moderator's that were excellent teachers. That site was shutdown a couple of years ago.😑 Teresa is doing it herself now. She is an excellent sourdough source of information.πŸ‘
            • MBMorgan
              Club Member
              • Sep 2015
              • Colorado
              • > Weber Genesis EP-330
                > Grilla Grills Original Grilla (OG) pellet smoker
                > Pit Barrel Cooker (gone to a new home)
                > WeberQ 2000 (on "loan" to a relative)
                > Old Smokey Electric (for chickens mostly - when it's too nasty out
                to fiddle with a more capable cooker)
                > Luhr Jensen Little Chief Electric - Top Loader circa 1990 (smoked fish & jerky)
                > Thermoworks Smoke
                > 3 Thermoworks Chef Alarms
                > Thermoworks Thermapen
                > Thermoworks IR-GUN-S
                > Anova sous vide circulator
                > Searzall torch
                > BBQ Guru Rib Ring

> Favorite Beer: Guinness Extra Stout, Fat Tire, Anchor Steam, or Alaskan Amber
                > Favorite Wine: Klinker Brick Old Ghost Zinfandel or Matetic Corralillo Winemaker's Blend
                > Favorite Whiskey: Balvenie Double Wood Scotch or Jameson Irish

Just found a literal treasure trove of videos by the San Francisco Baking Institute on YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCo-...AuPqyi_p5ZxNGg

Comment

• Breadhead
                Breadhead commented
                Editing a comment
                I've watched many of their videos before. They are a great source for bread making information.πŸ‘

Announcement

Collapse

Meat-Up in Memphis 2021

WE'RE SELLING OUT FAST! Less than 10 seats available. Secure your spot by booking now!
            Click here for details. (https://amazingribs.com/memphis)
            See more
            See less
            Working...
            X
            Meat-Up in Memphis

Placeholder

Spotlight

These are not ads or paid placements. These Are Some Of Our Favorite Tools And Toys.

These are products we have tested, won our top awards, and are highly recommend. Click here to read how we test, about our medals, and what they mean.

Use our links when you buy things

Many merchants pay us a small referral fee when you click our links and purchase from them. On Amazon it works on everything from grills to diapers, they never tell us what you bought, it has zero impact on the price you pay, but has a major impact on our ability to improve this site! If you like AmazingRibs.com, please save this link and use it every time you go to Amazon

https://tinyurl.com/amazingribs

If you have a Weber Kettle, you need the Slow 'N' Sear

Placeholder

The Slow 'N' Sear turns your grill into a first class smoker and also creates an extremely hot sear zone you can use to create steakhouse steaks.

Click here for our article on this breakthrough tool

The Good-One Is A Superb Grill And A Superb Smoker All In One

Placeholder

The Good-One Open Range is dramatically different from a traditional offset smoker. By placing the heat source behind and under the smokebox instead of off to the side, Open Range produces even temperature from left to right, something almost impossible to achieve with a standard barrel shaped offset.

Click here to read our complete review

Griddle And Deep Fryer In One

Placeholder

The flat top does the burgers and the fryer does the fries. Use the griddle for bacon, eggs, and home fries. Or pancakes, fajitas, grilled cheese, you name it. Why stink up the house deep frying and spatter all over? Do your fried chicken and calamari outside. Blackstone's Rangetop Combo With Deep Fryer does it all!

Click here to read our detailed review and to order

The Pit Barrel Cooker May Be Too Easy

Placeholder

The PBC has a rabid cult following for good reason. It is absolutely positively without a doubt the best bargain on a smoker in the world. Period. This baby will cook circles around the cheap offset sideways barrel smokers because temperature control is so much easier.

Click here to read our detailed review and the raves from people who own them

The Undisputed Champion!

Placeholder

The Thermoworks Thermapen MK4 is considered by the pros, and our team, to be the single best instant read thermometer. The MK4 includes features that are common on high-end instruments: automatic backlight and rotating display. Don't accept cheap substitutes.

Click here to read our comprehensive Platinum Medal review

Grilla Pellet Smoker proves good things come in small packages

Placeholder

We always liked Grilla. The small 31.5" x 29.5" footprint makes it ideal for use where BBQ space is limited, as on a condo patio.

Click here for our review on this unique smoker

Delta by Nuke,
            Stylish and Affordable
            Gaucho Grill

Placeholder

Delta by Nuke burns wood or charcoal and comes with an adjustable height grill grate. This Argentinian grill will get your flame on!

Genesis II E-335 
            A Versatile Gasser That Does It All!

Placeholder

Weber’s Genesis line has long been one of the most popular choices for gas grillers. The new Genesis II E-335 offers solid performance, a sear burner for sizzling heat and an excellent warranty.

GrillGrates Take Gas Grills To The Infrared Zone

Placeholder

GrillGrates(TM) amplify heat, prevent flareups, make flipping foods easier, kill hotspots, flip over to make a fine griddle, and can be easily rmoved from one grill to another. You can even throw wood chips, pellets, or sawdust between the rails and deliver a quick burst of smoke.

Click here for more about what makes these grates so special

Is This Superb Charcoal Grill A Kamado Killer?

Placeholder

The PK-360, with 360 square inches of cooking space, this rust free, cast aluminum charcoal grill is durable and easy to use. Four-way venting means it's easy to set up for two zone cooking with more control than single vent Kamado grills. It is beautifully designed, completely portable, and much easier to set up for 2-zone cooking than any round kamado.

Click here to read our detailed review of the PK 360

Click here to order directly and get an exclusive AmazingRibs.com deal

Our Favorite Backyard Smoker

Placeholder

The amazing Karubecue is the most innovative smoker in the world. The quality of meat from this machine is astonishing. At its crux is a patented firebox that burns logs above the cooking chamber and sucks heat and extremely clean blue smoke into the thermostat controlled oven. It is our favorite smoker, period.

Click here for our review of this superb smoker

Masterbuilt MPS 340/G ThermoTemp XL Propane Smoker

Placeholder

This is the first propane smoker with a thermostat, making this baby foolproof. Set ThermoTemp's dial from 175° to 350°F and the thermostat inside will adjust the burner just like an indoor kitchen oven. All you need to do is add wood to the tray above the burner to start smokin'.

Click here to read our detailed review

Digital Thermometers Are Your Most Valuable Tool And Here's A Great Buy!

Placeholder

A good digital thermometer keeps you from serving dry overcooked food or dangerously undercooked food. They are much faster and much more accurate than dial thermometers. YOU NEED ONE!

Click here to read our complete review

Track Up To Six Temperatures At Once

Placeholder

FireBoard Drive 2 is an updated version of a well-received product that sets the standard for performance and functionality in the wireless food thermometer/thermostatic controller class.

Click here for our review of this unique device

The Cool Kettle With The Hinged Hood We Always Wanted

Placeholder

Napoleon's NK22CK-C Charcoal Kettle Grill puts a few spins on the familiar kettle design. In fact, the hinged lid with a handle on the front, spins in a rotary motion 180 degrees. It's hard to beat a Weber kettle, but Napoleon holds its own and adds some unique features to make the NK22CK-C a viable alternative.

Click here for more about what makes this grill special

Finally, A Great Portable Pellet Smoker

Placeholder

Green Mountain's portable Davy Crockett Pellet Smoker is one mean tailgating and picnic machine. But it's also gaining popularity with people who want to add a small, set it and forget it pellet smoker to their backyard arsenal. And with their WiFi capabilities you can control and monitor Davy Crocket from your smart phone or laptop.

Click here to read our detailed review and to order