Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How to make sourdough bread...

Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Most recent seeded loaf. Added some extra honey and some extra sunflower seeds. Tasted even better than the first! I will add pumpkin seeds next time, but I need to go buy them first!
    Attached Files

Comment

• SheilaAnn
      SheilaAnn commented
      Editing a comment
      Stunning!

• hoovarmin
      hoovarmin commented
      Editing a comment
      Another beauty

• WayneT
      WayneT commented
      Editing a comment
      Sweet looking bake.

Sourdough pizza coming up. They've been in the proofing box for about 45 minutes. Haven't decided if I'm going to put them in the fridge in a bit and let them go overnight, or make them tonight.

Whenever I've used this proofing box in the past the dough gets mangled when I try to take it out. Anyone else experience that?

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4287.jpg
Views:	122
Size:	104.5 KB
ID:	1356047

Comment

• hoovarmin
      hoovarmin commented
      Editing a comment
      Ok, Richard, I'm in! Sounds like great fun.

• WayneT
      WayneT commented
      Editing a comment
      Regardless of how you choose, it’s gonna be fun. Bake on!

• treesmacker
      treesmacker commented
      Editing a comment
      I have four sourdough pizza balls, 300g each, fermenting in a very similar container now - in the fridge; tomorrow I'll be cooking two of them after three days in there. This time I'm using some avocado oil in the mix (instead olive oil) per this https://ooni.com/blogs/recipes/neo-n...an-pizza-dough I was concerned about olive oil in such a hot Ooni oven, so thought I'd try avocado. Maybe the oil will make for easier removal from the proofing tray.

Wait, I’m off on one thing, put them both in the fridge at same time. It is going in and out only for fermentation purposes. Consistency in your timing moves them all together.

Comment

Being somewhat of a perfectionist, I can't help but be critical of the crumb and crispness of this pizza. Although I expected more gas bubbles, I have to say that the flavor was superb. The bottom line, is that my oven is a piece of shit. Not for lack of $$$. It just doesn't perform well. Not a problem with bread, but pizza is beyond it's reach as I know how to use it.

Name:	IMG_4288.jpg
Views:	129
Size:	160.1 KB
ID:	1356269

Comment

• hoovarmin
        hoovarmin commented
        Editing a comment
        rickgregory after heating the steel for an hour and a half on high broil, the oven temp was 532 F, according to the digital readout. The oven will reach 550, but at the end, when the broiler is switched on to finish the pizza, it only provides radiant heat in a narrow sliver down the middle of the oven. For $3500 I regard it as one of my biggest wastes of money. It's a GE Cafe gas range.

• rickgregory
        rickgregory commented
        Editing a comment
        hoovarmin - so, in a home oven we're not going to get Neopolitan style pie. It require heat that a home oven just doesn't do. If that's what you want, you'll need an Ooni or similar. For oven pies, you're looking at more of a NY style meaning you want to use a dough for that. A lot of recipes will add a little olive oil and some sugar or diastatic malt to help browning. Bakes are in the 8-12 min range at 450-500F.

Bottom line, don't try to force what a home oven can't do.

• hoovarmin
        hoovarmin commented
        Editing a comment
        rickgregory you are right. I have my Kamado, and usually make my pies on it in the 900 F range. But being sick lately and the weather being crappy I kept this bake indoors.

Open crumb is also a result of shaping the pie, especially in a home oven.

Comment

• hoovarmin
        hoovarmin commented
        Editing a comment
        I think I'm pretty solid on shaping pies, stretching and not compressing, and beginning by pushing the gases toward the edges. But I could be wrong.

• Richard Chrz
        Richard Chrz commented
        Editing a comment
        I also suggest if not doing it already, preheat the steel with broil, and do a 60-90 second pre bake sans sauce and toppings. It helps puff it up a bit. You loose a inch in diameter maybe? My pizzas with levain considered are also likely closer to 73 percent hydration?

• hoovarmin
        hoovarmin commented
        Editing a comment
        I'll give that a go with one of the remaining dough balls in the fridge today. As Rick indicated above, mine was 70% with the starter.

I made a sourdough boule using Richard’s starter that I’ve been feeding and using since summer, and a no-knead sourdough recipe I found on the King Arthur website. It’s a much softer crust than I am used to as they had you preheat the oven to 500 then drop to 450 when putting the bread in, and it called to keep the lid on the Dutch oven the entire 45 minute cook.

Pretty pleased with the crumb but I will likely bake differently next time, to get a darker and firmer crust.

I also tried a cross hatch scoring that led to an odd little square on the top of the loaf.

Total ferment time was about 24 hours, with about 18 of that in the fridge.

EDIT:

Here is the recipe I used, and yes - I did use bread flour rather than AP flour for this go around - the KA bread flour has a higher protein content than their AP, and I think leads to more gluten formation, maybe a slightly higher rise?

https://www.kingarthurbaking.com/rec...h-bread-recipe

AND - now that I reread the recipe, I know that I screwed up, missing steps 13-15. I was supposed to leave it for 10-15 more minutues with the lid off - that would have led to the firmer, crustier boule that I expected!

Click image for larger version  Name:	3AF772F4-0B45-4376-9655-C2A5105E265A.jpg Views:	0 Size:	3.90 MB ID:	1356375 I

Click image for larger version  Name:	DDE29558-6B31-4374-BEF6-B695E11ACE24.jpg Views:	0 Size:	2.98 MB ID:	1356374 Click image for larger version  Name:	2923A0C4-0760-4EAA-ABBC-BF2340220766.jpg Views:	0 Size:	3.16 MB ID:	1356373
      Last edited by jfmorris; January 5, 2023, 08:39 AM.

Comment

• rickgregory
        rickgregory commented
        Editing a comment
        That looks excellent Jim. And yes, I usually do ~20 minutes with the lid on, then the rest of the time with it off.

• jhapka
        jhapka commented
        Editing a comment
        jfmorris I was just about to say it looks like it needed more time with the lid off but you’re on top of it. Stellar loaf

• hoovarmin
        hoovarmin commented
        Editing a comment
        jfmorris I have had the same issue before with Paprika. Only once, that I am aware of, but it led to a major screw up.

So I had some starter discard, and a wok full of oil, and 5 beers or so, soooo....

Name:	2A985478-5A24-4C35-B07B-B8BCF465AF41_1_201_a.jpg
Views:	126
Size:	142.1 KB
ID:	1356388

The ones with Parm, granulated garlic, and curry powder were really good. The ones with just sugar were fantastic. Once I find the cinnamon and the piping bag I'm making sourdough churros.

Comment

• mnavarre
        mnavarre commented
        Editing a comment
        The beers didn't go in the wok...

• Allon
        Allon commented
        Editing a comment
        They must have gone in the woker...

• hoovarmin
        hoovarmin commented
        Editing a comment
        Only 5? 😆

The thread was supposed to be about MAKING sourdough bread, but has become more of a "Show us what you are baking" thread instead. I wonder if we need to get a moderator like Huskee or Spinaker to go back in time and split the thread, and get the original intent of THIS thread back to "how to make sourdough" and have a new "Show us your sourdough bread" thread?

Comment

• jhapka
        jhapka commented
        Editing a comment
        I kind of love how it’s been hijacked and that the thread was started by a banned member. Lots of character in the thread imho. Also love that it’s been more lively lately. Must be bread szn

I've been thinking of starting a Baking Tips thread that would be just quick tips on things to do or not do. Pitfalls, tricks to help out, etc. Simple stuff like 'make sure your dough temp after mixing is in the 75F range else things will go more slowly' etc.
      Last edited by rickgregory; January 5, 2023, 10:22 AM.

Comment

This is from the same dough as yesterday, only this one went into the fridge after 4 hours of proofing. Yesterday's proofed on the counter for 5 hours. As suggested by Richard Chrz I put it on the steel with the broiler on for 90 seconds before pulling it out and dressing it. Then back in the oven on bake for 6 minutes, followed by 2 minutes under the broiler at the high setting. Much better results in terms of open crumb. Some browning this time as well. The tan color derives from feeding my starter with KA organic whole rye flour.

Name:	IMG_4292.jpg
Views:	122
Size:	229.7 KB
ID:	1356580 Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4295.jpg
Views:	110
Size:	78.5 KB
ID:	1356581 Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4294.jpg
Views:	112
Size:	115.3 KB
ID:	1356582

Comment

How's this to show off your baking creations jfmorris ? https://pitmaster.amazingribs.com/fo...-you-re-baking

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
          No announcement yet.
          Working...
          X
          false
          ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
          false
          false
          {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
          Yes
          ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
          /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here