Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Show Us What You're Cooking! (SUWYC) - Volume 22, Summer 2021

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Carnitas with leftover smoked butt that I had frozen whole. I didn't have a recipe, and didn't find a recipe here. I had hoped that Troutman had posted one in his series, but I didn't see one for carnitas. So I googled it and read a few, but then I just chopped a fresh poblano, some onion, and some garlic and sautéed them in some oil. I added some Mexican Oregano, cumin, and chipotle chili powder. After that cooked for a minute or two, I added the pork which I had already shredded as well as some chicken broth and cooked it down until the liquid had been absorbed. My wife wanted crunchy taco shells, so that's what we used. We topped the meat with shredded cheese, salsa, and chopped cilantro. Served with leftover yellow rice. We will be having this again...

Click image for larger version

Name:	20210713_174445[1].jpg
Views:	431
Size:	99.3 KB
ID:	1059867

Comment

• Troutman
      Troutman commented
      Editing a comment
      I've done carnitas but never as tacos. It's on the list but I just can't seem to get to it. So many cooks, so little time. Looks as if you did alright to me !!

Spur of the moment, grabbed a decent looking chicken at QFC. Came out pretty good for no pre-planning or prepping.

Name:	4FA04302-E0D1-4E5C-A029-7BFBF30C9B29.jpeg
Views:	299
Size:	126.3 KB
ID:	1059891

Name:	DA826A1B-FAF7-452D-9B21-4E6A3B84213F.jpeg
Size:	162.8 KB
ID:	1059892

Name:	DC085145-6716-475C-BE54-EE716905269C.jpeg
Views:	306
Size:	148.0 KB
ID:	1059893

Comment

• mnavarre
      mnavarre commented
      Editing a comment
      Sometimes Last Minute Chicken is just the thing, beats grocery store rotisserie chicken all hollow, anytime.

• ecowper
      ecowper commented
      Editing a comment
      mnavarre yeah, and it is easy peasy, honestly. Took me 5 minutes to prep the chicken …. Spatchcock, rub some SPG under the skin and in the cavity, then get it on the grill at 350F.

• Dr. Pepper
      Dr. Pepper commented
      Editing a comment
      Spatchocked is great. Nice job.

Name:	20210713_175322.jpg
Views:	310
Size:	29.5 KB
ID:	1060010

Supper last night was a Lettuce Salad with Grilled Salmon. I got to add the first "Garden Salsa" Pepper from this years garden. Mild heat but very good.

Comment

• Elton's BBQ
      Elton's BBQ commented
      Editing a comment
      Oh yeah! This looks good!!

A disadvantage of these HEB made-in-store flour tortillas is that they come in packs of 20 and they go bad relatively quickly. (I know it doesn't seem like a lot, but it is actually challenging to eat 20 tortillas in a week!)

So I knocked out another three this morning: breakfast tacos. Scrambled eggs mixed with a little salt and cooked with a teaspoon of ghee, doused with hot sauce, copious amounts of pico, and shredded cheese.

Name:	IMG-4860.JPG
Views:	292
Size:	98.7 KB
ID:	1060078

Comment

• RonB
      RonB commented
      Editing a comment
      Why not portion and freeze 'em? That way you wouldn't have to worry about them going bad.

• Michael_in_TX
      Michael_in_TX commented
      Editing a comment
      Oddly enough, I've never thought about that. I've had less-than-stellar results with freezing bread (i.e. loafs), but I've never tried tortillas. I do have a vacuum sealer now....hmmm....

@Michael_in_TX I freeze bread and tortillas frequently. A trick with bread/waffles, etc, (and for liquids) is to freeze them first overnight in a ziplock or saranwrap, then take out of freezer, put in vacuum bag, and suck & seal. That way your bread isn't crushed, your soup doesn't slurp up into your machine, and they stay fresh for a long time.

Comment

• Michael_in_TX
      Michael_in_TX commented
      Editing a comment
      That is a brilliant idea! Thank you!

Well there's been a rash of inquiries about SVQ and QVQ cooking of late, I thought I'd show off a favorite of ours. Sir Charles done medium rare using the QVQ process. Pre-smoked, bathed for 28 hours at 135* then post smoked back up to that same temp after shocking down to the safe zone. Stuff eats nearly as well as most steaks !!!

Name:	chuck01.jpg
Views:	295
Size:	164.5 KB
ID:	1060339Click image for larger version

Name:	chuck02.jpg
Views:	296
Size:	171.3 KB
ID:	1060336

Name:	chuck03.jpg
Views:	282
Size:	145.1 KB
ID:	1060338

Name:	chuck04.jpg
Views:	278
Size:	149.7 KB
ID:	1060340

Name:	chuck05.jpg
Views:	280
Size:	159.5 KB
ID:	1060341

Name:	chuck06.jpg
Views:	279
Size:	137.7 KB
ID:	1060337

Name:	chuck08.jpg
Views:	306
Size:	125.4 KB
ID:	1060342

Comment

• Old Glory
      Old Glory commented
      Editing a comment
      Looks great! I am curious about the shock. Why is that necessary? Thanks!

• Troutman
      Troutman commented
      Editing a comment
      Old Glory The shock was for two reasons. First I wasn't able to serve the meat after the bath so obviously it had to be shocked and refrigerated. However, under normal circumstances I find that cooling down and resting the meat before the final sear gives a longer period of time on the smoker without exceeding the desired medium rare temp.

• jfmorris
      jfmorris commented
      Editing a comment
      Looks great, but I am not sure what Sir Charles is. Was that the name of your cow?

Inside skirt with salt and BBBR, squash and zucchini marinaded in Italian dressing, and peaches with sugar, cinnamon, butter. Skirt steak finished with board sauce.

Name:	20210714_180618.jpg
Views:	307
Size:	125.1 KB
ID:	1060372Click image for larger version

Name:	20210714_181424.jpg
Views:	272
Size:	112.6 KB
ID:	1060373

Comment

• Panhead John
      Panhead John commented
      Editing a comment
      Good Seasons Italian Dressing is my favorite marinade. Looks good!

I give you "fake chorizo" tacos: ground chuck mixed with smoked paprika, cumin, cinnamon, black pepper, and Mexican oregano. Topped with an onion, cilantro, lime, and jalapeño relish.

Name:	IMG-4861.JPG
Size:	115.2 KB
ID:	1060391

Name:	IMG-4862.JPG
Views:	278
Size:	108.8 KB
ID:	1060392

A final squeeze of lime at the end really makes this....the acidity perfectly balances the fattiness of the meat.

(And one of these days I will remember to wear gloves while cutting peppers. I have a nice little burn going on with my fingers right now.)

Comment

• Dr. Pepper
      Dr. Pepper commented
      Editing a comment
      Hope you didn’t go take a leak!

So, since it was National nude and national tape measure day, I headed outside, but, seemed a bit cold out side. Plan B was set in motion, National Mac and Cheese day, fresh out of macaroni noodles for #NationalMacandcheese day. But…

I used thick spaghetti noodles, whipped up a cheese sauce, reheated some brisket flat to 195, diced it and added it in, then used lard to brown some panko crust, topped with fresh shaved Asiago.

Renee is Keto, so, today she got Mahi Mahi with fresh Pico de Gallo, and topped with a lemon twist.

Name:	C977F8B3-D669-42A5-857B-6D18C7FE33FD.jpeg
Views:	212
Size:	256.2 KB
ID:	1060414

Click image for larger version  Name:	CF0B0CBB-20A5-4B3B-9A22-50FA8F87EE19.jpeg Views:	0 Size:	354.6 KB ID:	1060411

Name:	0647131D-3B41-4534-AB5F-4AB20DEF82EE.jpeg
Views:	208
Size:	215.9 KB
ID:	1060415

Last edited by Richard Chrz; July 14, 2021, 05:39 PM.

Comment

• Michael_in_TX
      Michael_in_TX commented
      Editing a comment
      I need to do me some mahi mahi.....yum!

• Richard Chrz
      Richard Chrz commented
      Editing a comment
      Michael_in_TX I’m still pretty new at fish, this is one I could certainly improve. But my guess with seafood, you are never more at the mercy of the supplier and the freshness

• treesmacker
      treesmacker commented
      Editing a comment
      Way to improvise! looks great!

More grilled chisken. I used Henrik 's rub again. We really like this rub. Sides were M&C and Brussels sprouts as well as home made iced tea.

Name:	20210714_173319[1].jpg
Views:	282
Size:	191.2 KB
ID:	1060513

Name:	20210714_174447[1].jpg
Views:	271
Size:	120.7 KB
ID:	1060514

Comment

• Henrik
      Henrik commented
      Editing a comment
      Love that color, way to go!

• Dr. Pepper
      Dr. Pepper commented
      Editing a comment
      Nice cook, and balance on the plate! Henrik Now that Amazon has caught up, I've finally ordered & received 2 of your rubs. Next steak up!

• Henrik
      Henrik commented
      Editing a comment
      Dr. Pepper - sweet!

Not long ago Attjack posted about smoked spaghetti squash, and I haven't been able to get it off my mind ever since because I love spaghetti squash

So I prepared ahead of time by looking up some information and recipes online and did it tonight - along with a stuffing of ground beef, garlic, spinach, heavy whipping cream, and fresh parmesan cheese. First I smoked the spaghetti squash, then put in the stuffing with some mozzarella cheese on top, then put it back into the Big Green Egg and turned the temperature up until the mozzarella cheese melted fully

It was fantastic. Smoking the spaghetti squash really puts it over the top
    Attached Files

Comment

• Attjack
      Attjack commented
      Editing a comment
      Looks great and sounds delicious.

My wife is out of town, so I'm cooking stuff from the freezer that she doesn't like...

She doesn't like chicken drumsticks... so.... day 1 meal...

Click image for larger version  Name:	20210712_202322.jpg Views:	0 Size:	1.58 MB ID:	1060551Click image for larger version  Name:	20210712_202954.jpg Views:	0 Size:	1.40 MB ID:	1060552Click image for larger version  Name:	20210712_202958.jpg Views:	0 Size:	1.60 MB ID:	1060553

Day 2 - more drumsticks and some simple white rice turned into saffron rice with zuchinni... about a cup of water with teaspoon of "Better then Bullion (chicken flavor)", add some saffron, zuchinni, and garlic chives... saute until zuchinni is softened and then stir in rice. Loved this...

Click image for larger version  Name:	20210713_201339.jpg Views:	0 Size:	997.0 KB ID:	1060554

Day 3 - she doesn't like scallops, but I love them. So I heated up leftover rice from last night and here it is ...all for me!!

Click image for larger version  Name:	20210714_190410.jpg Views:	0 Size:	1.39 MB ID:	1060555Click image for larger version  Name:	20210714_190352.jpg Views:	0 Size:	1.10 MB ID:	1060556Click image for larger version  Name:	20210714_190441.jpg Views:	0 Size:	1.49 MB ID:	1060557

Cheers!
    Last edited by treesmacker; July 14, 2021, 09:25 PM.

Comment

• Michael_in_TX
      Michael_in_TX commented
      Editing a comment
      Chicken and rice....scallops and rice.....love it....and that color the saffron gives the rice!!!

• Dr. Pepper
      Dr. Pepper commented
      Editing a comment
      Your scallops look perfect. 6 scallops makes a very satisfying meal. I hope you told your spouse how much you missed her!

• KiloVolt89
      KiloVolt89 commented
      Editing a comment
      Ahhhh, that sense of freedom when you get to cook for yourself and only for yourself while the significant other is away and you can make EXACTLY what calls out to you. Beautiful.

Name:	PXL_20210715_025623576.jpg
Views:	261
Size:	220.3 KB
ID:	1060573

Comment

• Dr. Pepper
      Dr. Pepper commented
      Editing a comment
      Ahh....., Italy!

• SheilaAnn
      SheilaAnn commented
      Editing a comment
      @Ernest

You made the pasta, too, huh?

• Ernest
      Ernest commented
      Editing a comment
      SheilaAnn you got that right!!!

Pastrami Click image for larger version

Name:	01FD3948-B9BC-4AC4-8D32-4C6F18DD935E.jpeg
Views:	259
Size:	108.9 KB
ID:	1060624

Comment

Being a New Yorker, I LOVE pastrami. TY for this one.

Comment

• Eric2662
        Eric2662 commented
        Editing a comment
        It was a blast to make, and eat!

• fzxdoc
        fzxdoc commented
        Editing a comment
        Meathead's recipe on the free side for "Close to Katz' Pastrami" is life-changing. It's one of the best recipes on the site, IMO. Give it a look-see. You won't regret making it.

...or you could just head over to Katz Deli.

Kathryn

• SheilaAnn
        SheilaAnn commented
        Editing a comment
        +1 to what fzxdoc said it’s a fantastic recipe!

Announcement

Collapse
    No announcement yet.
    Working...
    X
    false
    ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
    false
    false
    {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
    Yes
    ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
    /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here