Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Show Us What You're Cooking! (SUWYC) - Volume 22, Summer 2021

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I've been meaning to try to make Nigerian Beef Suya for a little while now. Most recipes online call for peanut powder as a substitute for kuli kuli. I went to an African grocer nearby to see if I could find any. They didn't have any kuli kuli, but I came away with a jar of pre-mix Suya spice. I decided to give the pre-mix and the internet peanut powder recipe a head-to-head.

I used top round sliced against the grain into strips. Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG-7659.jpg Views:	4 Size:	2.87 MB ID:	1059265

Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG-7617.jpg Views:	4 Size:	2.71 MB ID:	1059272Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG-7619.jpg Views:	4 Size:	3.06 MB ID:	1059271

Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG-7622.jpg Views:	4 Size:	3.10 MB ID:	1059269

Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG-7636.jpg Views:	4 Size:	3.53 MB ID:	1059270

Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG-7641.jpg Views:	4 Size:	2.79 MB ID:	1059273
    Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG-7651.jpg Views:	4 Size:	2.59 MB ID:	1059266
    Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG-7655.jpg Views:	4 Size:	3.51 MB ID:	1059267
    Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG-7652.jpg Views:	4 Size:	2.98 MB ID:	1059268

Both were delicious, however the homemade mix had noticeably brighter flavors. The peanut, ginger, alligator pepper, cubeb pepper, black pepper, and cayenne made a flavor profile I haven't really had before. The outside edges had a satisfying crisp to them. They could have used some acid to balance out the flavor, which is probably why they are usually served with tomato. I was too lazy for that. Next time I will do the accompaniments up proper.
    Last edited by gboss; July 12, 2021, 06:49 PM. Reason: Edit: spelling

Comment

• fzxdoc
      fzxdoc commented
      Editing a comment
      Does it taste super peanutty? I've never had Suya, but your post has me wanting to give it a try. Thank you!

Kathryn

• gboss
      gboss commented
      Editing a comment
      fzxdoc You could definitely tell that there were peanuts in the seasoning, however they were a part of the overall spice and not the only note. I would say they were less peanut-y than the typical satay, for example.

• fzxdoc
      fzxdoc commented
      Editing a comment
      Good to know. I found a recipe on Serious Eats that I'm going to use. Thanks for the inspiration and information, gboss .

Kathryn
      Last edited by fzxdoc; July 16, 2021, 11:17 AM.

Easy Hawaiian theme tonight!
    Attached Files

Comment

Over the weekend I pulled a rack of ribs out of the freezer, and at lunch time, realized those were probably thawed, and sure enough, they were! So, one rack of STL ribs, salted with kosher salt and coated with the Rendezvous seasoning from the free side, and onto the SNS Kamado they went. They ran at 275 from about 1pm until 6pm, and came out PERFECT. I used "turbo slow" mode for this cook, and the dry rub set so well that there was an impressive and flavorful bark. No sauce required. I did put them over the coals in the SNS for several minutes on each side at the end of the cook. They were fall apart tender and were a little hard to cut without tearing up, and might have been pulled a little earlier, but I'm not complaining.

FYI this is the first time I think I've ever cooked a single rack of ribs. I'm used to doing 3 to 6 at a time!

BTW, if you haven't tried this rub recipe, you really should. It's a nice changeup from MMD. A little less sweet (no sugar) and a little more savory. I really like the coriander seeds and have almost a pound of Indian coriander from brewing that I need to use up:

https://amazingribs.com/tested-recip...is-rub-recipe/

Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_5617.JPEG Views:	0 Size:	1.29 MB ID:	1059317Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_5622.JPEG Views:	0 Size:	1.17 MB ID:	1059316
      Last edited by jfmorris; July 12, 2021, 07:54 PM.

Comment

• Jfrosty27
        Jfrosty27 commented
        Editing a comment
        I have only one word. Yum. Is that a word?

• Dr. Pepper
        Dr. Pepper commented
        Editing a comment
        That side view, with the crusty bark and the moist interior. Yes, 'Yum' is a word, appropriately used!

• KiloVolt89
        KiloVolt89 commented
        Editing a comment
        Holy bark, Batman!

Bacon Buffalo Blue smash burgers with gochujang special sauce, smashed potatoes, and prosciutto wrapped asparagus.

Click image for larger version  Name:	Resizer_16261404329870.jpg Views:	11 Size:	3.29 MB ID:	1059320

Click image for larger version  Name:	Resizer_16261404329871.jpg Views:	11 Size:	3.75 MB ID:	1059322

Click image for larger version  Name:	Resizer_16261404329872.jpg Views:	11 Size:	2.52 MB ID:	1059321

Last edited by Attjack; July 12, 2021, 08:05 PM.

Comment

• SheilaAnn
        SheilaAnn commented
        Editing a comment
        Shut the front door!

• Troutman
        Troutman commented
        Editing a comment
        Whow...how'd I miss that ???

• ecowper
        ecowper commented
        Editing a comment
        LOVE the plating shot!

Pro tip:

If you want to make Guacamole but the only avocado you have that's even close to ripe is still to hard to mash. Grill that sucker:

Click image for larger version

Name:	407627F9-6435-4617-BBFC-3D3A2FD192A4_1_201_a.jpeg
Views:	326
Size:	125.3 KB
ID:	1059339

Softened it right up. Some onion, garlic, lime juice, and a couple of Jimmy Nardelo peppers from the garden.

Mmmm. Tacos.

Name:	CBEE8FC6-4ABF-4375-AB44-D547164679A6_1_201_a.jpeg
Views:	319
Size:	110.0 KB
ID:	1059340

Comment

• JGo37
        JGo37 commented
        Editing a comment
        That's a great idea that I haven't tried! I make 'close' to authentic soft corn tacos with whatever I have left over every week. Thanks for sharing the tip! I microwave a lime for 20 seconds to get tons of juice out of it when squeezing over the taco.

• SheilaAnn
        SheilaAnn commented
        Editing a comment
        Well played, sir!

Tonight I tried an experiment making Philly Cheese Ribs. Maybe it's just me, but I've never seen them before. I liked them so much that I posted the 'recipe' - the way I made them tonight - in the beef recipe channel.

Name:	Philly Cheese Steak Riblets.jpg
Views:	322
Size:	133.5 KB
ID:	1059355

Comment

Tilapia, grilled broccoli, and baked potatoes.

Name:	20210712_203832.jpg
Views:	308
Size:	402.0 KB
ID:	1059364Click image for larger version

Name:	20210712_203756.jpg
Views:	322
Size:	350.8 KB
ID:	1059363

Comment

Now that I have been nudged into using my Joule SV machine, I bathed a 17 oz frozen end of a Costco Pork Rib Roast that I had sliced and vacuum bagged. 140F for 150 minutes, then into the freezer on a rack with some of Hank's Pork Rub, S & P while I started the splits on the grill. Seared, and eaten with leftover green rice pilaf and coleslaw from the younger daughter's Bday party on the 8th.

Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_8220.jpeg Views:	39 Size:	507.7 KB ID:	1059427
          Last edited by Dr. Pepper; July 13, 2021, 03:56 PM. Reason: Oops, 150 min, not 25o minutes in the SV!

Comment

• Potkettleblack
            Potkettleblack commented
            Editing a comment
            Shocking the meat post sous vide could help with the searing overshoot issue, but I don't want to talk you off of 135*. It is the magic pork chop temperature... come to the pink pork dark side... we have the tastiest pork.

• Dr. Pepper
            Dr. Pepper commented
            Editing a comment
            Potkettleblack I agree re: next time I'll cook to 135, not 140. While I didn't put the bag in a bowl of ice water I did put the naked chop on a rack in the freezer for about an hour after the SV, before the sear. Does that count, or should I have dunked it in ice water?
            Thanks, Daniel

• Potkettleblack
            Potkettleblack commented
            Editing a comment
            The freezer trick is less efficient at cooling that the ice bath. Conductivity of air Vs immersion in water. And you don’t want the extra heat in the freezer next to anything important.

If I’m in a rush, I will just dump the SV container and fill with the coldest tap water I can get.

Taco Tuesday. Wagyu Flank marinated in an asado marinade. Served with all the fixings....

Name:	tacos 02.jpg
Views:	295
Size:	169.9 KB
ID:	1059469Click image for larger version

Name:	tacos 03.jpg
Views:	299
Size:	170.2 KB
ID:	1059470Click image for larger version

Name:	tacos 04.jpg
Views:	290
Size:	181.6 KB
ID:	1059471Click image for larger version

Name:	tacos 05.jpg
Views:	296
Size:	172.3 KB
ID:	1059472Click image for larger version

Name:	tacos 06.jpg
Views:	294
Size:	164.2 KB
ID:	1059468

Comment

• crazytown3
            crazytown3 commented
            Editing a comment
            I'm borrowing (stealing) your stuffed avocado idea. The tacos look freakin' fantastic.

• Spinaker
            Spinaker commented
            Editing a comment
            Insane man. Makes me wanna move to Texas.

• Troutman
            Troutman commented
            Editing a comment
            crazytown3 By all means steal away !! To be honest I saw someone else do them I think on TV and been doing them ever since. They are a BIG hit with everyone who tries them,and the good news is they are simple to make.

I could eat that for breakfast! Nice soft taco holders, have a source?
          edit: found em on Amazo……
          Last edited by smokenoob; July 13, 2021, 07:26 AM.

Comment

I was not planning on spicy chili cheese fries for dinner, but then I heard it was #nationalfrenchfryday .. so I did a thing… And on a lighter flavor, a snack I made myself earlier in the day of a lemon bar, fresh raspberries, and a lightly whipped sugar sweetened heavy cream to separate and balance the two tarts.

Click image for larger version  Name:	8A3E65A3-F7BF-47E7-8D63-8673FDD4CDAC.jpeg Views:	0 Size:	3.71 MB ID:	1059749

Name:	50BE1D04-7CBC-44A8-AA57-CCA462E645AC.jpeg
Views:	246
Size:	144.2 KB
ID:	1059752

Last edited by Richard Chrz; July 13, 2021, 04:27 PM.

Comment

• Troutman
              Troutman commented
              Editing a comment
              Killer fries !!!

• Spinaker
              Spinaker commented
              Editing a comment
              Dang man!

The perfect meal on a hot day. Meathead’s Kermit Grilled Pork Chops along side homemade potato salad, a summer corn salad, topped off with Georgia Peaches and ice cream. Forgot all about the heat. Click image for larger version

Name:	386F63F3-C5BA-46F2-8B1F-C25D5997A1D7.jpeg
Views:	289
Size:	172.5 KB
ID:	1059763Click image for larger version

Name:	CB5A9CE3-AA03-4642-B7BE-27A954ED3A69.jpeg
Views:	279
Size:	162.7 KB
ID:	1059764

Comment

• IdSmokeThat
              IdSmokeThat commented
              Editing a comment
              Looks amazing! Ever tried reducing balsamic vinegar and adding it to the peach and ice cream situation? Life changing.

This all I got, had friends over for wibs and it turned into a feeding fwenzy…..wibs was gone before I could snap a pic
            Duroc last meal wibs , half crutched, half with some bite. Love to get guests opinion on both!
            Attached Files

Comment

• Dr. Pepper
              Dr. Pepper commented
              Editing a comment
              So, what was the verdict? Crutched or naked?

• smokenoob
              smokenoob commented
              Editing a comment
              Dr. Pepper There was a clear divide. Women voted crutched and men voted naked.

• jfmorris
              jfmorris commented
              Editing a comment
              smokenoob that is about what I've seen here too. The more falling off the bone and pot roast like the ribs are, the more the women folk seem to like it. At some point though, you might as well be making crock pot ribs if that's what you like...

I think it has something to do with men, well REAL men at least, liking to gnaw stuff off a bone, and the women would rather eat with a fork and keep their hands clean.

For the first time, I did a smash burger. It turned out pretty snazzy!

Yesterday I went looking for my cast iron griddle, but couldn't find it. Well, apparently I had put it in the garage for some reason so it had quite a bit of surface rust. I spent the evening cleaning that off and reseasoning it. I was going to do these on the Weber, but we've had rolling thunderstorms all afternoon, so I did them on the griddle placed atop two of my electric stove's burners.

(This required some advanced planning on where I was going to put things as those burners will create some obvious hot spots.)

Following everyone's advice on my recent thread, I got everything in place as I knew this was going to be a really fast cook. I carefully portioned out the balls into 3.5-4 oz patties, two of them. I butted the insides of a bun with a little ghee and placed that on the griddle and started heating it up. I also added some sliced onions once the griddle got hot enough.

When the buns were toasted, I removed them. The griddle over the burners was about 450 F with the areas not over the burners about 300 F. I then plopped the two balls down and smashed them with a heavy spatula with a little help from some parchment paper. This step was a lot easier than I thought it would be to get a nice "smash." However, on of the burgers was now occupying a good portion of the griddle not over a burner, so it did not cook as fast.

I then seasoned the two patties with some salt, but no pepper (I was concerned it would burn). When the edges started to crisp up, I shoved my spatula on the patties and checked. Nice and brown and crisp! I flipped them, added a slice of American cheese to each one and cooked for about another minute.

I then placed the two patties atop one another and onto the waiting bun. The bottom bun had been slathered in an interesting sauce I found which is 1/2 cup Japanese mayo, 1 tbl mustard, 1 tbl grated onion, 2 tsp hot sauce, and 1 tsp Worcestershire sauce. I also added the grilled onions on top of the burger patties as well.

This was a burger! Wow.....the crispness of the patties really makes this. Mmm...and yes, I agree with others that insist on putting grilled onions on these. It really adds something.

Here's the plating shot. You can also see I scraped up some of the crust brown bits from the griddle and added them to the top of the onions.

Name:	IMG-4858.JPG
Views:	299
Size:	85.1 KB
ID:	1059819

I had to wrap the silly thing in parchment paper as the juices were getting all over the place!

Name:	IMG-4859.JPG
Views:	268
Size:	76.4 KB
ID:	1059820

All in all, it turned out really good, but, of course, there are some things I'm going to try differently. I may go down to 85/15 and instead of 80/20. There's a lot of grease in these things! I may also try just having a single piece of cheese between the two patties instead of two.

And, obviously, doing this on the grill to eliminate the hot spot problem.​

Comment

• Dewesq55
              Dewesq55 commented
              Editing a comment
              Looks delicious! Great job.

• willxfmr
              willxfmr commented
              Editing a comment
              Great work on your first burger cook!

• holehogg
              holehogg commented
              Editing a comment
              Smashing Sir.

Pork Tenderloin in the BGI with Heath Riles Sweet BBQ Rub and my new Knife
            Attached Files

Comment

• SheilaAnn
              SheilaAnn commented
              Editing a comment
              Sexy! Pork looks good, too

• Troutman
              Troutman commented
              Editing a comment
              That pork is perfectly cooked, like 140ish?? Love pink pork. Nice presentation as well !!!

• Old Glory
              Old Glory commented
              Editing a comment
              Troutman yup at 140 with some carry over. Pork Loin is definitely on the easier side of things. With the Pellet Cooker it is almost automatic if you watch meat temp. Didn't even sear it just cranked the heat up to 400 3/4 of the way through to get some browning. Really liking this rub as well. Lower salt but good flavor.

Announcement

Collapse
          No announcement yet.
          Working...
          X
          false
          ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
          false
          false
          {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
          Yes
          ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
          /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here