Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How to make sourdough bread...

Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Any good ideas on other add in's for the bread? Any particular herbs or spices? Willing to experiment.

Comment

chudzikb .

I add herbs to sourdough all the time, one of my favorites is herbs de provance with jalapenoe jack cheese and kalamata olives. It makes the kitchen smell wonderful when baking as well. Add the spices toward the end of the slap and fold process.

Comment

Oh this is good stuff. This should be a sticky topic here...

Comment

• Breadhead
          Breadhead commented
          Editing a comment
          Thank you PappyBBQ ...

I'm glad you liked it. Give it a try it's not that difficult.😎

I too am a bread head who's kept his starter (Sally) alive and well for quite a few years. My favorite companion to Sally is my cast iron pot with lid. Lid on for the first 2/3 of the bake and then off for a fantastic crust. Nothing better than being able to tell people that the bread their eating is not only fantastic tasting, but only has 4 ingredients (if you count Sally as an ingredient).

Comment

• Breadhead
          Breadhead commented
          Editing a comment
          There's only 3 ingredients with sourdough bread. Flour, water and salt.😎

Your starter was just flour and water... The yeast is a planned intruder.

I love to low ball a guest that has no idea I like cooking bread. I serve them the bread with dinner or lunch and wait for them to say... Where did you buy this bread?😎

Show us some pictures of your loaves.

Made some 2 days ago. It is now long gone. Rarely lasts a day in my house. And that is only when beating the kids back to keep them from eating it all in one sitting.

Comment

• Breadhead
          Breadhead commented
          Editing a comment
          Don't ya love it when people really enjoy your loaves.👌

Glad to see you're sticking with it.

Show me a picture of you best loaf.

I haven't heard from Steve Vojtek lately. I wonder if he is still baking bread?

Comment

• chudzikb
          chudzikb commented
          Editing a comment
          How could he not be? It is too good not to make on a regular basis! Back from a week on the left coast, will make some more soon. "Bart" survived my week away, chilling in the refrigerator, fed yesterday, did what he was supposed to do.

Sourdough Charlie ...

Here's a thread about sourdough bread I started a while back to help a few guys that wanted to learn the craft. Those that have tried it did an excellent job and baked some very nice loaves of bread. As you know it's much easier to do than people think it is.

Comment

• Sourdough Charlie
          Sourdough Charlie commented
          Editing a comment
          Hi Breadhead Wow you humble me with your extensive sourdough knowledge. I have read the post to Steve and it is obvious that I will learn so much from you! I've been baking with Sourdough for forty years pretty much the old fashioned down home methods. It will be great to take it to the next level as time allows. Thanks for the post.

• Breadhead
          Breadhead commented
          Editing a comment
          Sourdough Charlie ...

I'm humbled by your kind words. I've only studied sourdough bread for 4 or 5 years. Maybe I became a little obsessed with it.🙊

It has been an interesting study for sure. Learning the science is easy. Learning how the dough is supposed to look and feel at each step of the process is what separates the Masters of bread making from the rest of us.

Repetition is the ONLY way to become a really great maker of sourdough bread. Pick a recipe and make it over and over again. You'll learn a little tidbit on every loaf. You don't make leaps and bounds in a single loaf. You have many ah hah moments along the journey.

Bread making is a never ending journey. For me it is very comforting. Something I use it as an escape from life's everyday trials and tribulations.

Feel free to ask me any question you might have on your journey.

Breadhead's are like BBQ people. We share our knowledge and experience willingly.👌
          Last edited by Breadhead; October 26, 2015, 08:06 AM.

First try! Thanks Mr Wartface! Oh, I mean Breadhead. Have to wait a couple of hrs to look inside.

Comment

• chudzikb
          chudzikb commented
          Editing a comment
          Fantastic! Looks really good. I like mine a little lighter, but, that is my kids preference. You do a much better job getting your scoring right than I do, but, that is just a function of a very hot grill and me not wanting to be around it longer than I have to, to get the job done.

W.A.

My, my, my... I can tell by the way your score mark opened up that your crumb is going to be open and airy with lots of those holes we expect in sourdough bread.

For your very first try I give you a standing ovation my friend. I'm sure you studied well before you gave it a try. Good for you.

Share it with your friends and family. I bet it blows them away. Most people have never eaten this type of bread ever. Supermarket sourdough bread is mass produced and has additives in it to extend the shelf life.

Have fun on your bread journey W A... It can be addictive.😎

Thank you for trying. I love to see others become interested in this craft. Feel free to ask me any question you might have as you make additional loaves.
        Last edited by Breadhead; October 24, 2015, 06:37 PM.

Comment

Comment

Breadhead, you got me interested in this pursuit again. Yes, watached Chef Jacob's videos several times, read this thread thoroughly, and brought the equipment to make it.

I made two small loaves, one after the other

Comment

Interior shot below. Looks pretty good to me. The sour taste is real strong near the surface. I sort of cheated in the middle and put it into the fridge this morning during the final proofing. Then let it come to room temp for 1.5 hr tonight before cooking. Maybe that is the reason for the strong sourness towatds the crust? Thanks again!

Comment

• chudzikb
                chudzikb commented
                Editing a comment
                Most excellent effort! Did you enjoy the process? it does get easier after a couple, when you are not so worried about screwing it all up. How did it taste?

W.A. ...

Nice... Your crumb was not quite as open as I thought it would be but it is still VERY good.

By putting it in the fridge you delayed the fermentation process. That will enhance the sourness some. There are many sourdough bread makers that complete the entire mixing, fermenting and final shaping process and then allow the final shaped dough to sit on your kitchen counter at room temperature for 1 hour... Then they put it in the fridge for 12/24 hours for extended delayed fermentation. The theory is that will boost the sourness of your bread.

However... Be aware the sourness of your bread comes mostly from the structure of your starter. There are methods of controlling your starter to make it very mild our very sour. That's a whole other topic though.

One must be aware that the longer it ferments the more sugar (from the flour) will be eaten by the yeast. When there is no sugar left your bread will not brown because the sugar is necessary for the Maillard process to happen on bread.

Sourdough is a very low PH dough that is why it requires higher oven temperatures than other bread to brown.

Extended fermentation is a double edge sword. One must study what is the proper length of time.

A 24 hour delayed fermentation is fine if you are using bread flour. If you use 20% of the weight of the flour as Whole Wheat flour that is better yet.
              Last edited by Breadhead; October 24, 2015, 10:20 PM.

Comment

gcdmd ...

"On a more serious note, I've enjoyed reading this thread. I can see that my approach to sourdough bread baking has been much too simplistic. You now have another "little grasshopper," Master."

George... I'm sorry I missed your post.

Welcome to our bread thread.

Have you given it a try yet?

Breadhead

Comment

• gcdmd
                  gcdmd commented
                  Editing a comment
                  I have, and I love the kneading technique, but I wasn't happy with the flavor of my starter. So, I'll have to try again or, perhaps, use the sponge method you describe in your ciabatta recipe with active dry yeast along with your kneading method. I have also found that I prefer a conventional loaf pan.

Thank you for your interest and your guidance, Breadhead.

George

• Breadhead
                  Breadhead commented
                  Editing a comment
                  You can adjust the flavor of your starter. You can make it very mild or you can make it very sour.

To make it very mild do frequent dump and feeds at room temperature. To make it more sour takes some time though. You want to put it in the refrigerator which will retard one of the 2 bacteria in the culture. That will give more of that San Francisco tangy very sour tasting flavor after you develop it properly.

I'm getting ready to watch a football game right now. I'll get back to you later with much more detail on adjusting the flavor of your starter tonight ot tomorrow. It's just basic science. It takes very little effort on your part.

Some guys keep 2 starters. One very mild and one very sour.
                  Last edited by Breadhead; October 26, 2015, 08:13 AM.

Last edited by Breadhead; October 26, 2015, 04:40 AM.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                No announcement yet.
                Working...
                X
                false
                ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                false
                false
                {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                Yes
                ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here