Instagram AmazingRibs Facebook AmazingRibs X - Meathead Pinterest AmazingRibs Youtube AmazingRibs
BBQ Stars

Welcome!


This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | 30 Day Trial | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Show Us Your Bourbon/Whiskey/Rye/Scotch!

Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

    Picked these up today and am really enjoying the HH. I like it better than the standard BiB and only a few bucks more.
    The VOB100 is a staple on our bar, and kinda/sorta hard to find around here, but I always manage to have a bottle on hand. It's really good whiskey and only $13.99

    Click image for larger version

Name:	20260911_142850.jpg
Views:	128
Size:	1.57 MB
ID:	1885084

    Click image for larger version

Name:	20260911_193419.jpg
Views:	117
Size:	1.17 MB
ID:	1885085

    Comment


    • barelfly
      barelfly commented
      Editing a comment
      Ooooh! Look at that bottom shelf bottle of VOB!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

    • Skinsfan1311
      Skinsfan1311 commented
      Editing a comment
      barelfly right? We "discovered" the VOB100 years ago on our first Kentucky trip. People don't know what they're missing when they ignore some of those bottom-shelfers. All too often folks equate price with quality. Their mistake..more for us!

    Happy fRYEyay!!!!!!! I do think this is my favorite rye I’ve had!

    Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1312.jpg
Views:	111
Size:	4.22 MB
ID:	1885104

    Comment


      Picked this up today - have heard a lot about it on other sites. This is an outstanding pour!!!!!!! Cheers!!!!

      Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1320.jpg
Views:	105
Size:	3.37 MB
ID:	1885446

      Comment


        So I said I was going to try a Rye since a lot of you folks really enjoy it. Picked up a bottle on the way home from the boat this afternoon and went out on the deck with a good cigar to give it a try. I liked it, doesn't seem to have the body that regular bourbon has. Kind of light and citric. But enjoyable. Glad I bought the toasted barrel one as the regular may have been too light for my palate. Click image for larger version

Name:	Rye.jpg
Views:	104
Size:	588.7 KB
ID:	1886499

        Comment


        • barelfly
          barelfly commented
          Editing a comment
          That is a great bottle! Love the toasted variety!

        I just had another draw of it before dinner right now. Any other Rye you would recommend to try? It has a good earthy taste.

        Comment


        • Skinsfan1311
          Skinsfan1311 commented
          Editing a comment
          In addition to the whiskey barelfly listed in the post below, I can recommend Woodford Reserve rye, Jack Daniels Barrel Select & the bottled in bond. The JD Barrel Proof is crazy high in proof and probably not a good entry level into rye choice, but it's really, really good. Pour it over a large cube. Rittenhouse bottled in bond, Sagamore,(any iteration). Pikesville Rye a great pour too. I cannot, in good conscience, recommend those TW "spirit direct" bottles. They're pretty bad...

        • cruiseplanner1
          cruiseplanner1 commented
          Editing a comment
          Thanks for the tip Skinsfan1311. I will purchase one of your suggested bottles. I am not shy of high proof as I have had them and at first said wow but after sipping some of them are pretty good. I remember a Three Chord that I really liked and a Detroit Bourbon also. Those were cask strength which along with my ice cube turnout out quite tasty, Barelfly just seen your post and thank you for the tip. I did see the Sazerac and being not familiar bought the Elijah instead.

        Do you have a Total Wine near you? They provide tastings on their “spirit direct” bottles, that could be a way to find a few other ryes that you like before buying them.

        The other thing you can do, if you enjoy some bourbon bottles, see if they have a rye offering. It won’t be the same of course, but the non-rye portion of the mash bill may be similar to what you already like, with the addition of the higher rye content.

        ​But a few I like -
        • Jack Daniels Single Barrel Barrel Proof
        • Angel’s Envy (the regular rye - they also make a Caribbean rum barreled rye that I drink, but it’s different)
        • Sazerac Rye
        • Wild Turkey 101 Rye, or Wild Turkey Rare Breed Rye
        • Michter’s Rye
        • Knob Creek - a few options - rye, bourbon x rye, or their blenders special bottle
        Most of these are readily available and range in price, I’d say there are $30-$65 bottles in this list, but all are good in my opinion.

        And for Friday sippers…if you happen to sip a rye on Friday…..we like to call it fRYEday!!!! Or fRYEyay!!!!!!!!!!

        Comment


          cruiseplanner1 Here's a rye that I left off my earlier recommendations.
          I "discovered"Old Forester 100 rye when we toured the distillery back in 2019
          The tour guide asked everyone to guess the price after we tried it. $21.00. Everyone guessed a lot higher.
          It's an incredible bargain that flies under the radar because it's so reasonably priced. If you did a blind taste, you would swear that it costs twice as much and I'm pretty sure that you wouldn't consider it a thin-bodied pour. It's really good & a staple on our bar.

          Click image for larger version

Name:	20260918_193332.jpg
Views:	92
Size:	1.61 MB
ID:	1886972

          Comment


            Happy fRYEYAY!!!!!!!!!!!


            My absolute favorite rye bottle! I’d recommend this one as well for cruiseplanner1 but it’s not cheap…so, just know that! But it’s a dandy of a pour!!!!!

            Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1354.jpg
Views:	88
Size:	4.12 MB
ID:	1886992

            Comment


            • cruiseplanner1
              cruiseplanner1 commented
              Editing a comment
              Thanks for the tip. I will look at it. Just on my third tango with the Rye Whisky I got and I am really getting a taste for that now. Kind of reminds me of the Buffalo Trace I had a few years ago. A nice earthy but light taste

            Cheap whiskey in a cheap glass.
            It's a Happy Fryeday indeed!

            Click image for larger version

Name:	20260918_204347.jpg
Views:	94
Size:	1.80 MB
ID:	1887012

            Comment


              I went to the distillery this morning to pick up the rye, and snagged a bottle of their bourbon, which I've never seen before, so why not?
              The girl who rang me up told me to help myself to the stickers.
              ​

              Click image for larger version

Name:	20260920_114127.jpg
Views:	89
Size:	1.32 MB
ID:	1887452

              Comment


                I love going to Costco several times a week to see what limited supply whiskey and bourbon and tequilas specials they have. Today it was Blanton's @ $66.99 and Weller 12 @ $39.99. only one per membership allowed.

                Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1545.jpg
Views:	78
Size:	127.1 KB
ID:	1888035

                Comment


                • barelfly
                  barelfly commented
                  Editing a comment
                  WOW~! The W12 at Costco!!!1

                • rorymcd
                  rorymcd commented
                  Editing a comment
                  I picked up that same Weller at Costco on Sunday. I think it was even less than $40. Same 1 per membership.

                • Sweaty Paul
                  Sweaty Paul commented
                  Editing a comment
                  #WINNING!

                Okay barelfly I did find a bottle of Sazarac Rye and am enjoying a pour and cigar on the deck now. Surprisingly warm and we just came in. A nice taste. Took uncle out to dinner up north last night in Alpena and had a pour of Bulleit Rye. That was good also. Click image for larger version

Name:	Rye 2.jpg
Views:	80
Size:	425.8 KB
ID:	1888390 Click image for larger version

Name:	Rye 2.jpg
Views:	69
Size:	425.8 KB
ID:	1888391

                Comment


                • Skinsfan1311
                  Skinsfan1311 commented
                  Editing a comment
                  If you can find it, I can highly recommend the 100 proof version.

                Sagamore is known for their ryes, (and some of them are among my favorites), and they finally released a bourbon.
                I picked one up the other day and have kicked off the first night of a 3-day weekend by giving it a try. It's very good, especially if you're a fan of Sagamore rye.

                Click image for larger version

Name:	20260924_192540.jpg
Views:	75
Size:	1.38 MB
ID:	1888471

                Comment


                  Happy fRYEyay!!!!!!!

                  Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1389.jpg
Views:	58
Size:	3.70 MB
ID:	1888769

                  Comment


                  • cruiseplanner1
                    cruiseplanner1 commented
                    Editing a comment
                    I was wondering where my bottle went.....

                  @cruiseplanner1​ Now here's something unusual, when I first saw your picture of your fireplace I thought someone was at our vacation home in Graeagle, Ca. It's quite similar.

                  Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1547.jpg
Views:	52
Size:	2.66 MB
ID:	1890347

                  Comment


                  • cruiseplanner1
                    cruiseplanner1 commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Oh that is beautiful. So we are both waterfowlers eh?

                Announcement

                Collapse
                No announcement yet.
                Working...
                X
                false
                0
                Guest
                Guest
                500
                ["membership","help","nojs","maintenance","shop","reset-password","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                false
                false
                Yes
                ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2025-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2026-issues","\/forum\/bbq-stars","\/forum\/bbq-stars\/tuffy-stone","\/forum\/bbq-stars\/meathead","\/forum\/bbq-stars\/harry-soo","\/forum\/bbq-stars\/matt-pittman","\/forum\/bbq-stars\/kent-rollins","\/forum\/bbq-stars\/dean-fearing","\/forum\/bbq-stars\/tim-grandinetti","\/forum\/bbq-stars\/kent-phillips-brett-gallaway","\/forum\/bbq-stars\/david-bouska","\/forum\/bbq-stars\/ariane-daguin","\/forum\/bbq-stars\/jack-arnold","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads"]
                /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads
                7