Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Introducing the Slow 'N Sear!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Koy Schoppe View Post
    (Does the SnS have it's own forum yet here? Sorry if I missed it.) ]
    First off, great cook! Second off, we need a forum for the SnS.

@Everyone - Where should we put it and what should we put in it?

Comment

Perhaps sub forum of Charcoal?

In my mind its not really an accessory but a part of an advanced outdoor cooking system capable of changing the trajectory of modern man!

Action figures sold separately, batteries not included and I havent got around to testing it will full wood but thats on the list.
      Last edited by Jon Solberg; July 28, 2015, 03:46 PM.

Comment

• Koy Schoppe
        Koy Schoppe commented
        Editing a comment
        Agreed it should be a sub of charcoal. That's where I keep going to look for it...

Did a couple chickens and seared some sous vide pork loin chops. Didn't do it exactly like the instructions on the ABC website for chicken since I wanted to sear towards the end in addition to cooking the chicken at 325 and I had a lot of "used" charcoal remaining from previous cooks. I used a full chimney of "used" charcoal that I had left over from previous cooks. Lit it in a chimney till about half was totally ashed over and dumped it all into the SnS with a chunk of hickory thrown on top. Covered with vents fully open till we hit 350 then reduced vents to about 1/4 open on top and 1/3 open on bottom as suggested on the abc site. Settled in at 330 with a few adjustments to the vents during the cook and hovered between 325 and 330 for the remainder of the cook. Pulled the chicken when Maverick registered 160. Checked with thermopen and chicken was actually a few degrees higher. Let chicken rest while I seared the chops. Dressed chops with cherry sauce from fellow pit members bbqoaf . Everybody was impressed with the final results. The bottom of the chicken wasn't crisp, but I attribute some of this to not leaving it uncovered in the fridge? Overall, extremely impressed with the performance of this machine!!!! Even when you do things not according to accepted practices, it PERFORMS!

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_5715.JPG
Views:	57
Size:	278.0 KB
ID:	99615

Name:	IMG_5717.JPG
Views:	55
Size:	237.5 KB
ID:	99616
      Last edited by Dr ROK; July 29, 2015, 08:26 AM.

Comment

• bbqoaf
        bbqoaf commented
        Editing a comment
        Glad you liked the cherry sauce, looks great!

Originally posted by Jon Solberg View Post
      Perhaps sub forum of Charcoal?

In my mind its not really an accessory but a part of an advanced outdoor cooking system capable of changing the trajectory of modern man!
      See I actually struggle with this myself because I really feel a kettle with SnS is a completely different beast from a kettle alone. Seems like a completely different grill.

I'm honestly thinking about selling my Hasty Bake. I haven't used it in months.

Comment

Just placed an order, now to decide what to cook first

Comment

Originally posted by somethinfishy View Post
          Just placed an order, now to decide what to cook first
          Awesome! Be like Ernest. Cook everything!

Comment

somethinfishy Just go in the kitchen and start grabbing anything in sight. Oh it's a lot fun!!

Comment

Emailed my bro in AZ about the SnS and he ordered one.

Started my SnS at 4:45 and the butts on 30 min. later. Major screw up by not remembering to clip PartyQ to the cooking grate. Was taking forever to get to 225. Finally realized my error after an hour but I had tall of the vents wide open. Stupidity on my part. I was up until 1 AM watching the replay of the OSU-Michigan game (I was there) and time got away from me. So I got up on less than four hours sleep. Since I corrected my error, it has been a rock steady 225.
              Will be posting pics after the cook

Comment

The caustic crowd over at BBQ Brethren is up to their typical shenanigans. Someone started a thread about the Slow 'N Sear. The OP was actually enthusiastic, but the cynical crowd that makes up the BBQ Brethren is dissing the SnS out of hand.

Comment

• richinlbrg
                  richinlbrg commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Sorry, David Parrish ! Haters gonna hate, though.

This is one of the few harmonious sites I've been on, not that I'm on all that many. KUDOS to ALL involved, MH, Mods and members alike! Let's keep it going in the right direction!

Human nature. Then again life would be boring without A#%holes.

Comment

your AR family loves you!

Comment

LOL thanks guys. I love you back. It's just painful to watch these guys talk bad about the SnS when I know how wrong they are. It's a shame. They're missing out.

Comment

• ontheranch
                      ontheranch commented
                      Editing a comment
                      What's their beef??

• IrondeQuer
                      IrondeQuer commented
                      Editing a comment
                      Yeah, what richinlbrg noted, they mostly just don't want to pay for it. They talked me out of the Smokenator and I've been using bricks for a couple of years now.

They didn't talk me out of the Slow 'N Sear though!

• David Parrish
                      David Parrish commented
                      Editing a comment
                      I think a couple of them have bought a Slow 'N Sear now. We'll win them over!

Here are the pics of my initial SnS cook. Did two pork butts from Sam's. Screwed up the start but the end result was tremendous. Click image for larger version

Name:	P7290023.JPG
Views:	139
Size:	151.1 KB
ID:	99947 Click image for larger version

Name:	P7290019.JPG
Views:	98
Size:	162.7 KB
ID:	99948 Click image for larger version

Name:	P7290017.JPG
Views:	132
Size:	162.7 KB
ID:	99949 Click image for larger version

Name:	P7293316.JPG
Views:	125
Size:	162.2 KB
ID:	99950 Click image for larger version

Name:	P7293315.JPG
Views:	105
Size:	154.1 KB
ID:	99951 Click image for larger version

Name:	P7303318.JPG
Views:	129
Size:	165.9 KB
ID:	99952 Click image for larger version

Name:	P7290020.JPG
Views:	126
Size:	191.6 KB
ID:	99953

Comment

Name:	IMG_3313.JPG
Views:	133
Size:	99.2 KB
ID:	99956 Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3314.JPG
Views:	137
Size:	154.4 KB
ID:	99957 Tonight's dinner using the SnS

Will post more pics later. My wife took the "good" camera so hopefully the pics will be OK. I bought a 16 GB memory card for all of my food pics. Will hold over 5,000 pics. Am transferring the card from camera to camera

Comment

Pork looks good FLBuckeye. How long did the cook last? What was screwed up in beginning?

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                        No announcement yet.
                        Working...
                        X
                        false
                        ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                        false
                        false
                        {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                        Yes
                        ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                        /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here