Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Introducing the Slow 'N Sear!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Wife found a box by the front door ! SnS 019/100 is here ! The 11# boston butt is still frozen in the fridge. I plan on cutting it in half when its thawed. Can't wait.
    Forgot to say...the signature on the certificate is Pa Pa...is that grandpa signing ?
    Last edited by barney; June 11, 2015, 11:28 AM.

Comment

This topic is going to be blowing up with great results, photos, and tips and tweaks over the next several weeks. Thoughts on starting a new topic--something like "First Cooks on the Slow 'N Sear"??

Comment

• David Parrish
        David Parrish commented
        Editing a comment
        Yes but what to do? Sub Channel in Charcoal Grills section? Loose threads in charcoal grill channel? Sub channel in accessories?

Ya... My SnS got here too! Number 006/100

Thanks for all the hard work David and Huskee.... and all testers too!

Gonna have fun now!

Click image for larger version

Name:	SnS.jpg
Views:	178
Size:	43.7 KB
ID:	89217
      Last edited by smarkley; June 10, 2015, 05:22 PM. Reason: Spelling Huskee's name right... jeeesh :)

Comment

Name:	image_9835.jpg
Views:	134
Size:	178.6 KB
ID:	89249 Click image for larger version

Name:	image_9836.jpg
Views:	180
Size:	206.9 KB
ID:	89250 It has arrived. Been unboxed and promptly replaced the smokenator. I'm going to fire it up tonight for delmonico's with peppers and onions. I got another 25 minutes of the dry brine before the magic starts. More pics to come! Update: I made two steaks for me and the lady doing the hot and fast method. Turned out awesome. I was a bonehead and forgot to open the vents on the bottom all the way to get it hot(I blame the PBC!). Once I remembered that small detail, I had the sear going no problem. Great flavor. Uniform cook. Pulled pork this weekend probably. Very easy to use and to get to temperature. Initial comments from the lady: 1."why did you get a piece of steel in the mail?" I showed her the smokenator and said its a better version of this piece steel. 2. About an hour later.. "This is what life is all about. Beer, Steaks, and smashers." [ATTACH=CONFIG]n89219[/ATTACH]
        Attached Files
        Last edited by bpf120; June 11, 2015, 07:14 PM.

Comment

• Huskee
          Huskee commented
          Editing a comment
          Nice job!

• David Parrish
          David Parrish commented
          Editing a comment
          Nailed it on the first cook!

Congrats guys! smarkley bpf120! Have fun!!

Comment

Just got mine on order! Hopefully it arrives quickly, as I cannot wait to give 'er a go! #1050!

Just been thinking about the "Sear-Side" of this setup, and I got to wondering weather placing some of my GrillGrates over that area would be a bonus benefit for a long, low n slow cook? I would think they would be great for the searing part of the cook for sure!?!? Any thoughts? Has anyone tried it yet? Maybe the Griddle Grates would be best as they are completly flat???

Just thinking outloud here....

Comment

• Huskee
            Huskee commented
            Editing a comment
            Absolutely! Not required, but surely would only add to the searing beauty.

Originally posted by HuskerHunter View Post
          Just got mine on order! Hopefully it arrives quickly, as I cannot wait to give 'er a go! #1050!

Just been thinking about the "Sear-Side" of this setup, and I got to wondering weather placing some of my GrillGrates over that area would be a bonus benefit for a long, low n slow cook? I would think they would be great for the searing part of the cook for sure!?!? Any thoughts? Has anyone tried it yet? Maybe the Griddle Grates would be best as they are completly flat???

Just thinking outloud here....

Awesome!

When cooking low and slow (225F) the sear side won't really be hot enough to sear, but when it's time for high heat you can get the sear side hot in a matter of minutes by opening the vents. Or you can get it hot instantly if you get a weber chimney of charcoal hot and throw that on when it's time to sear... Grill Grates work great with the Slow 'N Sear on both the direct side and the indirect side. I especially like cooking chicken on the indirect side on Grill Grates. The GGs make the chicken noticeably juicier. Experiment!

Comment

Finaly got my Slow'N Sear. Lucky number 13! Mine was a day late arriving. In the last month I have ordered (3) different items from different vendors and all were sent Priority 2nd Day mail. From the first vendor the item was lost in transit. Had to reorder. The second vendors took five days to get from the day they shipped it. I guess I shouldn't complain that it took (3) days to get my S'N S . It just bugs me that the USPS is so flakey. If they were a private company, they would've been history a long time ago. Ok, end of rant. I plan on enjoying my new toy!

oldsteve

Comment

• JohnF
              JohnF commented
              Editing a comment
              1 day late? I would have loved that, mine was 8 days late,LOL

• David Parrish
              David Parrish commented
              Editing a comment
              Sorry about that JohnF. Did you get any explanation from USPS what they did with the SnS during that time?

Steve given those three scenarios I call 3 days WIN. Lol

Comment

Hey everyone - order number #52 here! Can't wait!

Comment

• David Parrish
                David Parrish commented
                Editing a comment
                Just packed it. Ships tomorrow!

• wjHunter
                wjHunter commented
                Editing a comment
                Woohoo!

Originally posted by Pit Boss View Post

Awesome!

When cooking low and slow (225F) the sear side won't really be hot enough to sear, but when it's time for high heat you can get the sear side hot in a matter of minutes by opening the vents. Or you can get it hot instantly if you get a weber chimney of charcoal hot and throw that on when it's time to sear... Grill Grates work great with the Slow 'N Sear on both the direct side and the indirect side. I especially like cooking chicken on the indirect side on Grill Grates. The GGs make the chicken noticeably juicier. Experiment!
              Here I was actually wondering more about weather having the large mass of Aluminum sitting over the top of the coals would help to further stabilize the low and slow temps... I know I've used them in my kettle before as baffles (GriddleGrates laid on the side on the charcoal grate) or dividers and actually had a noticeable improvement...

I guess for me the experimentation part is half the fun! I will definitely be trying the GG's and Spatchcocked Chicken! Can't Wait!

Comment

• David Parrish
                David Parrish commented
                Editing a comment
                Double H (Any relation to Triple H?) once you have used the SnS a few times you're gonna realize you don't need anything to help stabilize temps. It works as promised right out of the box.

• pittkappasig
                pittkappasig commented
                Editing a comment
                or Chyna? the only thing you need to stabilize temps with the SnS are hands to adjust the vents once or twice throughout a long cook... you dont even really need eyeballs, its that easy.

sniff sniff Got my SnS yesterday and wouldn't ya know.....my kettle is now at cow camp and I won't be up there this week. It is definitely time to order that weber Performer I want for my home deck. For someone who didn't know squat about BBQ anything and hated to cook, this site has made me a crazy grilling, rub-making, sauce cooking, thermometer testing nut.

Comment

• David Parrish
                David Parrish commented
                Editing a comment
                Whenever my friends get interested in BBQ and ask about something like salt, for example, I send them a link and warn them "All your answers await, and wonderful food is at the bottom, but the rabbit hole you're about to go into is very, very deep". lol

• ontheranch
                ontheranch commented
                Editing a comment
                smarkley, I'm 3+ hours from Boise but my son is there a lot on business. Thx so much for the tip!

lol David but, but but the rabbit hole is so much fun!

• Huskee
                Huskee commented
                Editing a comment
                David Parrish I've turned 3 people I work with at the hosp onto AR. ontheranch yes! An Amazon order must be placed at once!

Well look what arrived a few minutes ago...a day earlier than expected!
              Thanks @Pit Boss!!!

Name:	SNS.jpg
Views:	162
Size:	57.9 KB
ID:	89599

Comment

• billg71
                billg71 commented
                Editing a comment
                #40 arrived today, thanks for the quick ship! It's sitting in the new Performer, I'll season both tomorrow sometime and maybe do some ribs afterward.

Thanks again, Pit Boss!

• David Parrish
                David Parrish commented
                Editing a comment
                Love it! Take a pic of the etched number. It's gonna be hard to see after you "dirty her up".

Enjoy! Keep us posted with pics

Comment

Does the SnS interfere in any way with the gas ignition system on the Performer Deluxe? I'm still trying to decide which one to get.

Comment

• billg71
                  billg71 commented
                  Editing a comment
                  OTR, I can see where I'll use the gas burner to start coals for a center fire, it just doesn't look like it would do much for starting an indirect fire(for a right-handed chef). Whether it's worth the extra $50 is up to you.

I caught a CL deal on my Performer Deluxe, if I was buying retail I would have gone with the Premium, I'm used to starting in a chimney. But since saving $75 off retail with no sales tax and getting the gas starter as a bonus was a Good Thing, I'm OK. It'll definitely get used.

You pays your money and takes your choice.

Best,
                  Bill
                  Last edited by billg71; June 12, 2015, 06:19 PM.

• ontheranch
                  ontheranch commented
                  Editing a comment
                  LOL David, you are talking to an old ranch wife who has no idea what a dddddddamnoublow torch is or does. If it doesn't have 4 legs, a tail, and hair; I'm lost. Yes, we have one in our shop, so I'm told. I don't go there. Even tho a lot of my cooking tastes like it was hit by a blow torch. And BTW, Lowe's or Home Depot???? No Amazon connection???? You are fired!!!

• David Parrish
                  David Parrish commented
                  Editing a comment
                  LOL Fair enough OTR Click our amazon TinyUrl and then search for this: Bernzomatic TS4000 Trigger Start Torch

Announcement

Collapse
              No announcement yet.
              Working...
              X
              false
              ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
              false
              false
              {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
              Yes
              ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
              /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here