Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Introducing the Slow 'N Sear!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

As a special gesture to our Pit Club SnS owners I'm posting my phone number if you need help this weekend: 704-425-3634.

Feel free to text me with any questions you have during your cooks. I just ask you start your initial text with your Pit Club name so I'll know who I'm talking to.

Comment

My First SnS cook! Wooho... love this thing!

I knew I would! LOL

Click image for larger version

Name:	crab1.jpg
Views:	224
Size:	86.7 KB
ID:	89674

Comment

• smarkley
        smarkley commented
        Editing a comment
        David Parrish I posted it on your page but don't see it... maybe you guys need to set viewing permissions.... not sure about all the FB stuff though.

• David Parrish
        David Parrish commented
        Editing a comment
        It's there. If you go to main ABC facebook page, scroll down under photos... On the left side of the page you pic is in the "Posts to Page" Section...

• ontheranch
        ontheranch commented
        Editing a comment
        I can be at your house in 3 1/2 hours. What's for dinner tonight????

Last night was Friday Night Steak Night, of course! Here's the recipe. This is intended for thin steaks.

1) Trim excess fat
      2) Cover with Dale's Steak sauce and let marinate 3 to 4 hours (This has a lot of salt in it so it brines and marinates)
      3) Take out of fridge 90 minute before cooking and let the steaks warm up a bit
      4) Right before cook pat steaks dry with paper towels and lightly coat with oil, rendered fat, or Ghee
      5) Front sear using the SnS and 2/3 chimney of very hot charcoal, flipping every 45 seconds to a minute for about 4 minutes or you have the color you desire.
      6) Check internal doneness. If they aren't where you want them move them to the indirect side and close the lid. Check them every 90 seconds to two minutes.
      7) Once they are done immediately rub them with a very light coating of real butter and add cracked pepper. They are ready to serve! No need to rest.

Well, hello Maillard reaction! Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_7990.JPG
Views:	228
Size:	223.9 KB
ID:	89813

And hello to you too "wall to wall red"

Name:	IMG_8010.JPG
Views:	117
Size:	176.2 KB
ID:	89812

Comment

I've joined the club gentlemen - order no 1053.
      Great looking steaks Boss as always..
      I've tried really hard to replicate that kind of a sear on my cast iron skillet. I got it smoking hot on my induction cooktop as hot as it would go and after drying the steak (dry brined straight from the fridge) with paper towel i threw it on - turned frequently and measured with my thermapen took it a bit past medium rare to try and get more Maillard and this is the best i could get:

Name:	20150611_221622.jpg
Views:	215
Size:	127.2 KB
ID:	89836

Not terrible but still not as good as yours. And no 'flame grilled' flavor.

The first thing i'm doing with the SnS is STEAK!! And then some more STEAK!! And then some slow and low ..

Comment

Steve it looks like you have the techniques down, you just need the SnS!

What I will say about your skillet cook is that the internal doneness is more important than the exterior color. Next time take them off when they hit Medium Rare and I think you'll be happier

Oh and did you lightly coat with Oil before you seared? That helps with the Maillard effect.

Comment

• Steve Vojtek
          Steve Vojtek commented
          Editing a comment
          I put a little rendered wagyu beef fat (beef love) in the pan just before the steak. I fully agree with the interior being more important - a few days ago i sous vide'd a thick expensive angus boneless ribey to medium rare and for the first time tried to sear it over my kettle's regular charcoal basket - didn't get much of a sear if i kept it on there longer it would have overcooked. I sacrificed the exterior for the interior and was happy with it. I posted the result in the 'what you're cooking thread'. This was just a test with a cheap steak to see what's the best i can do with the skillet. The SnS can do much better can't wait for it to arrive .. Thank you Boss..

• David Parrish
          David Parrish commented
          Editing a comment
          Steve when you're searing in the pan put the oil/fat on the steak not the pan. That way you can take the skillet to a temperature beyond the flame point for the fat/oil and it will improve your maillard effect. MH says it better here: http://amazingribs.com/tips_and_tech..._sticking.html

As soon as I received my SNS yesterday, I prepared for my first low-n-slow dry run with a goal of reaching & maintaining 225-250 F in the indirect area of the food grate. I used a total of 90 Kingsford (blue bag) briquets (12 lit & 78 unlit). I also filled the water reservoir to about 3/4 full.

My cooking log results are as follows:

7:00pm 180 Top vent 1/2 open; low vent 1/8 open
        7:30 225 (already!)
        7:45 243 Closed top vent to 1/3 open
        8:00 259 Closed top vent 1/8 open
        8:15 246
        8:30 248
        8:45 243
        9:00 239
        9:15 246
        9:30 244
        9:45 252
        10:00 262 Rotated lid 45 degrees clockwise to reduce any air leaks between the upper lid and lower bowl
        10:15 234 Adjusted top vent to 1/2 open
        10:30 232
        10:45 246 Adjusted top vent to 1/3 open
        11:00 241
        11:15 235
        11:30 232
        11:45 226
        12:00 225 Adjusted top vent to 1/2 open
        12:15 228
        12:30 232
        12:45 230
        01:00 235
        01:15 239
        01:30 241
        01:45 246
        02:00 252
        02:15 234 Finished. Too sleepy to continue.

Overall, the SNS gives me much more temperature control than I've ever had (beats the Smokenator). On top of that, the SNS helped me recognize the best place to position my lid to reduce air leaks and maintain my desired temperature goals.

I am stoked and ready to smoke my first pork shoulder next weekend.
        Thank you, @Pit Boss!!!

Name:	SNS Trial Run.jpg
Views:	196
Size:	34.3 KB
ID:	89880

Comment

• Huskee
          Huskee commented
          Editing a comment
          Great! If you're like me, you're glad you a dry run. But then you think, 'I should've had meat on this whole time!' Lol. That's what happened when I first got my kettle, my dry run worked out great as I ate cereal for dinner. Wishing it was ribs.

• olvrab00
          olvrab00 commented
          Editing a comment
          Exactly, Huskee. I went out on a burger run yesterday evening while my wife documented the food grate temperatures for me. As I was leaving the house, I kept thinking to myself 'I wish I had put some meat in the pit'. Growing pains to becoming a better griller I guess...

Art that was an awesome dry run, and it was your first! You're a natural apparently. Next time I bet your temps will be even tighter!

Comment

• olvrab00
          olvrab00 commented
          Editing a comment
          Thanks, David Parrish, but your lighting instructions on the website and on the pamphlet were the key. I just followed your instructions and voila...tight temp control.

SnS test run underway on my 26" Weber kettle. I'll post details later.
        Attached Files
        Last edited by fuzzydaddy; June 13, 2015, 05:55 PM.

Comment

• fuzzydaddy
          fuzzydaddy commented
          Editing a comment
          At 2 hours and 40 minutes into my dry run on a 26" Weber kettle, I'm holding pretty steady at 227. I've added photos of my ChefAlarm, and top vent (maybe 1/3 open) & bottom vent (between closed and 1/4 open) above. I'm going to go reset my ChefAlarm so it will track max/min temps for the next several hours, and try to leave the vents alone. Loving' the SnS. Dang, as others have said, why didn't I throw some ribs on when I started!

• David Parrish
          David Parrish commented
          Editing a comment
          FD you're learning your equipment today, stress free=), so sure maybe you missed out on what could have been a great rib cook but what you've learned will really pay dividends for your next cook. This was time well spent!

• fuzzydaddy
          fuzzydaddy commented
          Editing a comment
          I did not make any vent adjustments or open the lid for that last 4-1/2 hours to see what happens and the temp dropped to 210 in the last 1/2 hour so I opened up the top vent a little. Pretty impressive! I'll probably shut down before midnight. Next week I'll do my first cook with the SnS - ribs!!

I just want to send out a big thank you to oldsteve for posting our very first customer review! Thanks!

Comment

• Jon Solberg
          Jon Solberg commented
          Editing a comment
          That is a great review!

• Jerod Broussard
          Jerod Broussard commented
          Editing a comment
          Nice review. I also like reviews that have words in CAPS.

Here's a video to help anyone that's trying to get their temps down. Everyone overshoots from time to time

Comment

• oldsteve
          oldsteve commented
          Editing a comment
          Hey Pit Boss, when you going to put this video on your ABC site?

oldsteve

• Huskee
          Huskee commented
          Editing a comment
          oldsteve Done, check it out

• David Parrish
          David Parrish commented
          Editing a comment
          Thanks!

Today's rib cook:

Comment

• Jerod Broussard
          Editing a comment
          Is that some Berkshire? I got one of those Tri-Tip steaks getting the SnS tomorrow.

• David Parrish
          David Parrish commented
          Editing a comment
          No they're not Berkshire. I didn't catch the name of the ranch, but they're local raised and harvested to North Carolina.

• Jerod Broussard
          Editing a comment
          Cool.

You have GREAT reviews!!!

Hope I can add one soon!

Comment

• richinlbrg
          richinlbrg commented
          Editing a comment
          GREAT review I'm today's newsletter, David Parrish !!!!!

• David Parrish
          David Parrish commented
          Editing a comment
          Thanks Rich. That review drove sales into overdrive. I think we're going to sell out of the Limited Edition today. We only have 2 or 3 left.

• richinlbrg
          richinlbrg commented
          Editing a comment
          Alright, alright, alright!

I am doing an excersize in temp control with the SnS... my goal is 290 - 300... I hit 320 and cheese started squirting out... these are Atomic Elephant Turds (Anaheim Peppers)

Name:	abt3.jpg
Views:	178
Size:	74.7 KB
ID:	89980

yeah I had some really thin bacon

Comment

• David Parrish
          David Parrish commented
          Editing a comment
          smarkley when you're trying to throttle temps down I've found adjusting the top vent works more quickly than the bottom. Just a tip. Let us know how it goes!

• smarkley
          smarkley commented
          Editing a comment
          Thanks David Parrish - when I hit 320 I kind of freaked out and pushed everything down a little... then I started chasing it ugh

First cook with my newly acquired SnS. Decided to toss on some bone in chops. Dry brined for a couple of hours then dusted with Memphis dust. Temps were running about 325 took about 25-30 minutes to get to 135. Seared to 150. The sear was hotter than I was used to, so the sugar in the Memphis dust got a little blacker than I am used to.....but really moist and tasty. Wife loved it as the sugar and the fat trim made crisp edges. All in all a good first run for me. Neat product, thank you.
        Attached Files
        Last edited by TheBigLebowski; June 14, 2015, 02:49 PM.

Comment

• smarkley
          smarkley commented
          Editing a comment
          Yeah... I found that last night... the sear was a little hotter than I was used to... I overshot the IT by 10 degrees - it all worked out though

Second cook with the slow and sear. Pulled pork. I followed the lighting instructions provided except I put the lid vent on the opposite side of the slow and sear. It got up to 225 no problem and pretty much held there with minor vent adjustments every few hours. The hottest it got was 245 and the lowest was 212. The 212 was after my over correction of the vent when it 245. I refilled the reservoir once. I loaded it up with charcoal once to get hot to power through the second stall.

Over all it turn out great. Very little fuss and I was free to do other things.

I whipped up a batch of SC mustard sauce to go with.

My photo skills are still a work in progress...

Comment

• Huskee
          Huskee commented
          Editing a comment
          Sounds like you had the lid vent as the instructions say, opposite the SnS. Nice cook!

Announcement

Collapse
      No announcement yet.
      Working...
      X
      false
      ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
      false
      false
      {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
      Yes
      ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
      /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here