Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Introducing the Slow 'N Sear!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Looks great Dr ROK. Ribs always take longer than MH's estimated times for me. I think he uses skinny ribs!

Comment

• Harry
      Harry commented
      Editing a comment
      Yet another hint from AR.com - use skinny ribs when cooking time is short. Boss, THAT's why I tend to read entire threads. You just never know when you'll turn up a cooking tip nugget. Now, I have to find a source for skinny pigs.

• mackdaddy
      mackdaddy commented
      Editing a comment
      Good luck at that. Never saw a skinny pig, and lived down the road from a pig farm for 10 years. Always knew when they were hauling the pigs to market. That wonderful smell was very noticeable and distinct.

My SnS came today! Will have pics tomorrow of my first cook with my Webber original Premium 22.5". Should I post it here or somewhere else? Question. I read the information on lighting the coals. With 325 F deg method it does not mention anything about filling the water reservoir with water or not to fill it with water. So, do I fill it with water, 1/2 or leave it empty?

Comment

Originally posted by mackdaddy View Post
      My SnS came today! Will have pics tomorrow of my first cook with my Webber original Premium 22.5". Should I post it here or somewhere else? Question. I read the information on lighting the coals. With 325 F deg method it does not mention anything about filling the water reservoir with water or not to fill it with water. So, do I fill it with water, 1/2 or leave it empty?
      I've done it both ways, and it's really irrelevant. I cook chicken hotter than 325, more like 340-360, and with water I still got crispy skin. It just boils off faster.

Comment

Originally posted by Pit Boss View Post
        Looks great Guest. Ribs always take longer than MH's estimated times for me. I think he uses skinny ribs!
        Harry Look for small racks, like 2lb'ers. Once you get toward or over 3lb racks, they'll take more like 6 or 7hrs. I've had 3.5lb (big) racks take 9hrs.

Comment

Originally posted by mackdaddy View Post
          My SnS came today! Will have pics tomorrow of my first cook with my Webber original Premium 22.5". Should I post it here or somewhere else?
          It's up to you. You could post here, in the "Show us what you're cookin" thread, or start a new thread in the recipe section wherever your cook is relevant (Brisket in the beef channel for example). Now bring us some pics!

Comment

Completed my first cook on my Webber kettle with the Slow-n-Sear. It was an adventure. I can say that the SnS is idiot proof, newbie proof and rain proof. I will post the whole story and more pics on the show what's your cooking thread. Great devise. The phtos is the kettle "naked" the other I fully "dressed"in the SnS.

Comment

• Huskee
              Huskee commented
              Editing a comment
              Woo hoo!

Chops & stuffed pork loin just off the kettle + SnS! Boston Butts will go on around 11pm.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2647.jpg
Views:	170
Size:	188.4 KB
ID:	101324

...and a chop closeup.

Name:	IMG_2637.jpg
Views:	167
Size:	182.1 KB
ID:	101330
            Attached Files
            Last edited by fuzzydaddy; August 7, 2015, 07:57 PM.

Comment

Before and after pics from yesterday cooking chicken with the SnS on a 22.5 kettle. Did a great job even through a little rain.

Comment

Your cook looks great mackdaddy. I've yet to cook on my kettle in the rain. I've had rain end just before a cook...guess my luck will run out soon! I'm putting (2) 8 lb butts on in just over an hour. Dinner tomorrow is going to be great. I have cooked 20 butts before, but all on my Big Green Egg, so I'm looking forward to getting experience with them on the kettle.

Comment

• mackdaddy
                  mackdaddy commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Have a good night.

• fuzzydaddy
                  fuzzydaddy commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Thanks mackdaddy. I've done a few cooks at 225 with the SnS, so once I get it dialed in I plan on getting a few hours of sleep.

Boston Butts with Meathead's Memphis Dust will go on my 26" kettle & SnS in about an hour! I dry brined them for just over 2 days with Morton's Kosher salt.

Name:	IMG_2601.jpg
Views:	156
Size:	194.5 KB
ID:	101345

Comment

Boston Butts after 7 hours. On my 26" kettle I had to add charcoal at the 7 hour mark, so I got a chance to drool over these babies!

Name:	IMG_2681.jpg
Views:	116
Size:	222.4 KB
ID:	101376

Comment

• fuzzydaddy
                    fuzzydaddy commented
                    Editing a comment
                    At 14.5 hours both passed my tests...(1) insert fork and twist - practically no resistance, (2) Insert temp probe - like butter, I say!, (3) Tasted and it was AWESOME (and tender), and (4) When I picked them up they were practically falling apart. I wrapped both with double aluminum foil and will hold for an hour or 2 in a faux cambro for an early dinner.

That looks like some good eatin. You're really hitting on all cylinders this weekend.

Comment

• fuzzydaddy
                    fuzzydaddy commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Yeah, I've gone crazy this weekend and I'm enjoying every minute of it! I don't usually cook so much at one time, so a "normal" 1-meat cook will seem like a breeze. From what I've cooked so far, it seems that I'm getting much more moist meat from my kettle+SnS, versus my BGE. Maybe it is more experience...? Anyway, I look forward to the pulled pork for dinner as these are my first butts on the kettle.

On my 26" kettle, I used 2 grill temp probes on the last few cooks (cooking grate level) and have noticed that it is cooler nearer the SnS and hotter on the other side where the exhaust vent is. I'm assuming that's due to the SnS' water reservoir insulating that area and the air flow from the SnS to the exhaust vent. I'm seeing ~10 to 30 degrees difference...on the lower end for 225 and the higher end for 325. These are approximate numbers from my observations. Next I want to see the temp difference on the cooking grate versus 4-5" higher (the tops of my boston butts).

Comment

• fuzzydaddy
                    fuzzydaddy commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Yeah, I may have to crank it up, but I'm finally moving out of the stall...it took 6 hours to go from mid 150's to mid 160's.

• David Parrish
                    David Parrish commented
                    Editing a comment
                    It's been my experience that the 26" kettle cooks a little more slowly than you'd expect based on the measured temp. You still might want to crank it up some... 250F or so... get the butts to 190F, then let pit temp fall to 225F as the butts continue up to 203F.

• fuzzydaddy
                    fuzzydaddy commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Got the temp coming up. 1 butt is already 182. Thanks for the advice.

Your butts look good enough to eat. That didn't sound good did it? Wish I could be there for a taste. The SnS is great. Did ribs yesterday, and turned out good even with overcast skies, damp air and breezes kicking up and temp control issues.

Comment

• fuzzydaddy
                    fuzzydaddy commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Haha! The more I use the SnS I'm favoring my Kettle over my Large BGE. We'll see over time how it goes but my cooks are juicer, I can fit more on my kettle and if I sold my BGE I could buy a copper and a green 22.5" kettle.

We could really use some pics/comments on this page... to help build up a little excitement for folks reading the review.

Comment

• fuzzydaddy
                    fuzzydaddy commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Done!

• David Parrish
                    David Parrish commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Thanks! The more the merrier!

Announcement

Collapse
                No announcement yet.
                Working...
                X
                false
                ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                false
                false
                {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                Yes
                ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here