Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Introducing the Slow 'N Sear!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I just cooked a couple of petite sirloins on the SnS -- sorry no pics, I was too lazy to get the camera cause I was worried about burning stuff...

Anyway, my wife said it was the absolute BEST sirloin she has ever had... PERIOD. It was perfectly reverse seared and dead on medium rare! I got a fat head of course, but really need to thank the ABC guys for such a great product.

I will make sure I have my camera ready next time.

Comment

• smarkley
      smarkley commented
      Editing a comment
      My Wife is still talking about those sirloins 2 days later! Hehehehehe.

smarkley we got a saying on here that goes like this "If there's no pics it didn't happen" 😋

Comment

• smarkley
      smarkley commented
      Editing a comment
      Yeah... I know... I had to post anyway LOL. I am constantly amazed at the things I can do with the SnS!

I'm amazed I haven't screwed a cook up with the SnS. It is truly IDIOT proof. I am testament to that.

Comment

I've had mine for less than a week now and have had three great cooks with my SnS. First cook was a pork shoulder and pork belly(put the meat on at 6am, belly was done for a late breakfast 4 hours later mmm mmm good). Beautiful bark on both pieces of meat that I could never achieve on my old COS. Steakhouse burgers the next cook. Followed by t-bone tonight. All came out wonderful. I couldn't be happier and can't stop singing the SnS' praises.

Comment

• Huskee
        Huskee commented
        Editing a comment
        David Parrish, I have rabble roused, I have participated in various hijinks, and I have ne'er done well.... but I don't recall ever being involved in these shenanigans of which you speak.

• mackdaddy
        mackdaddy commented
        Editing a comment
        Apparently Huskee has selective memory?

• David Parrish
        David Parrish commented
        Editing a comment
        Assuredly so mackdaddy

Thanks Hardwarehank, glad you're enjoying the SnS! T-bone pictures!

Comment

Testing the "Slow" of Slow 'N Sear this weekend. I've done a handful of cooks using the searing capabilities, now I'm going to go for the slow smoking first attempt. 3 racks of ribs thawing, they will get dry brined tomorrow and go on the Weber on Sunday.

As a confirmed PBC addict, this will be interesting. More to follow as the cook progresses.

Getting things started Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4568.JPG
Views:	158
Size:	177.0 KB
ID:	103131

4 Racks of SLC with MMD for the PBC

Click image for larger version

Name:	image_12045.jpg
Views:	145
Size:	185.1 KB
ID:	103132

and two racks of SLC with MMD for the Slow 'N Sear

Name:	IMG_4571.JPG
Views:	165
Size:	163.7 KB
ID:	103133

Ribs hung in the PBC

Name:	IMG_4572.JPG
Views:	174
Size:	157.9 KB
ID:	103134

And everyone closed up and making that perfect thin smoke Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4573.JPG
Views:	148
Size:	194.2 KB
ID:	103135

And the results are in! These are the PBC ribs, the usual nice smoke-ring just from the charcoal and no wood added, and just about falling off the bone.

Name:	IMG_4574.JPG
Views:	155
Size:	137.4 KB
ID:	103272

Name:	IMG_4575.JPG
Views:	151
Size:	159.8 KB
ID:	103273

And these are from the Weber with Slow 'N Sear. I don't have a rib rack, so the two racks I could fit on the 22.5 kettle laid flat for the whole cook, although I did move swap their locations once. As you can see, the smoke only shows on one side. Since the meat isn't sitting over the coals, I added a handful of the largest hickory chips I could find, not big enough to be called lumps.

I didn't use quite enough coals, and had to add about 5 toward the end, and the time was taking longer than the PBC. Guests were all here and anxious, so they came off at 5:30, and the PBC ribs had already been off for 30 minutes. Texture-wise, they were just starting to crack when trying the bend test. They could have used maybe another 30 minutes. Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4576.JPG
Views:	141
Size:	164.5 KB
ID:	103274

Taste-wise, there was no clear winner. With 10 people eating, it was pretty evenly split. The SnS ribs had more smoke flavor which some people preferred. They were not as tender as the PBC ribs, had a bit more "bite" to them, but a bit more time in the kettle would have fixed that.
      Last edited by BruceB; August 17, 2015, 09:22 AM.

Comment

• BruceB
        BruceB commented
        Editing a comment
        This experiment has now grown to "ribs two ways" - SnS and PBC - head to head

• Huskee
        Huskee commented
        Editing a comment
        A couple months back I did a head-to-head with the SnS/kettle and my stickburner. The results were so close that had they not been side by side I might not have been able to tell the difference. I'll be interested to hear your description of the differences w/ respect to the PBC ribs.

• BruceB
        BruceB commented
        Editing a comment
        And we're off !

Started the coals for both rigs at 12:00, meats went in/on by 12:30, and the SnS is just now getting into the 220s. at 1:10 PM. The PBC is running with the lid closed tightly, and is about 260F.

Here's a graph of my second dry run on the SnS. Like I said, AWESOME fire control. You can see @ 1330 I kicked the vent up to 1/4 open. Did errands, and 30 minutes later it was up to 250. Took a few spritz's on the lid ( DID NOT OPEN COOKER ) and brought it back down.

@ 1815 I decided I was done - a little over 8 hours. Note that 2 hours later the cooker was still humming, so I am confident that with very little attention / adjustments a cook could well go into 10 hours. Still had some water left in the reservoir.

The only change I would make is to the let the cooker get up to about 175 before I set the vents. Just noticed that I should have notated that I set both vents @ 832. Top @ 1/2 and Bottom @ "Crack".

Ribs, briskets, etc. a'comin!

-- Ed

Name:	SnS_Chart_080915.jpg
Views:	77
Size:	97.0 KB
ID:	102712

Comment

• fzxdoc
        fzxdoc commented
        Editing a comment
        I can hardly wait to see how it works for you and what those temp profiles look like, Medusa .

I love seeing the dry run documentation. Thanks!

Kathryn

• Medusa
        Medusa commented
        Editing a comment
        Thanks!
        Always a pleasure to put up a graph. I think a visual is worth a 1000 words.
        -- Ed

• David Parrish
        David Parrish commented
        Editing a comment
        It'd be awesome if you could post this on our disqus page. http://www.abcbarbecue.com/

Testing a long cook today with Bourbon Smoked Chuck Roast. The kettle is just coming up to temp.

Comment

Bourbon Smoked Chuck Roast three hours in and going strong on the SnS!

Name:	bscr_115q.jpg
Views:	164
Size:	80.6 KB
ID:	102788
        Attached Files

Comment

Beautimous IrondeQuer! Sir would you mind posting that on our FB page?

Comment

• David Parrish
            David Parrish commented
            Editing a comment
            We'd like to see a pic of the final cook too!

• IrondeQuer
            IrondeQuer commented
            Editing a comment
            I posted one to your share but I guess you'll have to share it. I don't see a way to post a pic to a comment here so I'll add another post. Went six hours without a hitch!!
            Last edited by IrondeQuer; August 15, 2015, 05:21 PM.

• richinlbrg
            richinlbrg commented
            Editing a comment
            Hey, the heck with the extra pics, how about a recipe???

That looks GREAT!!

Bourbon Smoked Chuck Roast chopped and ready to go. Six hours steady with the Slow 'N Sear on my Performer!

Name:	bscr_167q.jpg
Views:	151
Size:	80.9 KB
ID:	102864

Comment

• IrondeQuer
            IrondeQuer commented
            Editing a comment
            How do you want them? Here? Facebook? Email? I have a few... And thanks for the comment!

• David Parrish
            David Parrish commented
            Editing a comment
            Email to [email protected].

• Medusa
            Medusa commented
            Editing a comment
            Looks way, way, way too good! Great Job! Beautiful!

-- Ed

About 8hrs in on 2 - 8lb butts with the SnS. Have only had to adjust the vents on my 22.5" kettle one time (6hrs in) after hitting 225. Temps have been between 223-225 for the first 6hrs. Amazingly, ran a few errands at about the 3.5hr point, came back 2hrs later and was still chugging along at 221. The SnS is "amazeballs" for sure. Just coming out of the stall and am gonna boost with a few more briquettes to push on up to about 203. Any estimates on how much longer this might take with a steady 225?

Lovin' the SnS thread in this forum!

Comment

Awesome to hear AKX250. What is the current temp of the meat? We need to know that to give you a ballpark on how much longer it's going to take. I'd say if the meat is below 185F and you want to eat tonight you'll get meat on the table the quickest by wrapping in foil and cranking up the pit to 300F.

Comment

• AKX250
              AKX250 commented
              Editing a comment
              Not for the table tonight. Was hoping not to crutch to get a better sense of timing and flavor profile without the crutch. I'm now at~180 cruising along at 230 since adding about 20 additional briquettes.

Originally posted by AKX250 View Post
            The SnS is "amazeballs" for sure.

Lovin' the SnS thread in this forum!
            Amazeballs. Hmmm, I like it.

Comment

AKX250 how are things looking now?

Comment

• AKX250
                AKX250 commented
                Editing a comment
                Just about there, @pitboss. Havin' a stogie and a nice bourbon barrel aged stout while these butts finish up!

Announcement

Collapse
            No announcement yet.
            Working...
            X
            false
            ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
            false
            false
            {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
            Yes
            ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
            /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here