Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Introducing the Slow 'N Sear!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Great! Glad it all worked out. The power of the PIT.

Comment

30 wings w/SnS on a 22" Weber kettle. Set temp at 325 and loaded up the wings. 5 minutes in, it started pouring. Average cook temp was about 265 with vents mostly wide open during the rain to keep temp at 265-275. Used a small chunk of apple wood and the resulting smoke flavor was strong. Skin was super crispy after a nice sear.

Comment

I did a test 325 target run on my new 22" Copper Weber with the Slow 'N Sear today. I used a 1/2 chimney of Kingsford Blue. Once I hit 325 and was stable, I fully opened both vents to see just how hot I could get. I topped out at 412, and after 1.5 hours from hitting 412 I was still at 258. I've got a 9.5 lb pork loin and 2 boston butts - about 8.5 lb each to cook in the next few days. Isn't that a beautiful kettle!

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3012.jpg
Views:	182
Size:	113.2 KB
ID:	109606

Comment

• David Parrish
          David Parrish commented
          Editing a comment
          Indeed it is! Love the Copper Kettle

• mackdaddy
          mackdaddy commented
          Editing a comment
          Yes the copper kettle looks nice. I knew I should have picked copper instead of black. Oh well. The next one will be copper.

That's it next one is copper 😆

Comment

Too many positive posts about the Smoke N' Sear' so I just placed an order for one for my 26" Weber Kettle. I look forward to giving it a work-out.

Comment

NICE! We call it the Slow 'N Sear

Comment

Originally posted by Pit Boss View Post
              NICE! We call it the Slow 'N Sear
              Sorry about the name mistake. I certainly look forward to receiving and trying it out.

Comment

• David Parrish
                David Parrish commented
                Editing a comment
                No worries. Your SnS will ship Monday. You'll probably have it by Wednesday

The Slow 'N Sear seems to be a must have. I might try to make one... It looks to me, though, that the Slow 'N Sear rests on the grill that the coals are on, and doesn't extend to the very bottom of the kettle. I was thinking that maybe it might have been designed to block air flow from the area that the meat is in, only letting it flow past the coals. That doesn't seem to be the way it works. I guess that the air flow is so small that air rising past the meat doesn't hurt much.

If there are wood chunks on the coals, there must be enough turbulence inside the kettle for the smoke to swirl around the meat instead of just rising up and out the upper vent. I'm just trying to figure out what's going on inside there based on the pictures I've seen.

Comment

• Huskee
                Huskee commented
                Editing a comment
                The air will follow where it's being drawn. There's little reason for the air to move up & around the meat, sure some of it may happen that way, but it will largely be naturally pulled toward the coals and up through the lid vent. That said, we recommend putting a foil layer under the meat on the indirect side, down on the charcoal grate- wall to wall. This will be both a drip catcher and help steer the air to the coals. I have cooked w/o it through and with proper vent control (which is a necessity regardless) you can make the kettle w/ SnS work for you. It's great.

Hi! Finally, I have a chance for my first post as a pit master club member. I have been smoking with a Weber Genesis with smoker box attachment for a couple of years, and i am pretty happy with the outcomes, but it takes so much damn tending! Wood burns away fairly quickly so that means that ever 30 minutes to an hour i have to open it up, restock the wood, make certain it lights and then struggle to get the temp back to where I want it. Thus I am considering a new smoking method.

I have been bouncing back and forth between a PBC, a WMS and a Kettle with a SnS. I am leaning Kettle with an SnS but I have a concern about how you refill charcoal. From what I read, the SnS can give you a solid 8 hours of smoke and heat but what about for things like brisket? Maybe I don't have the magic touch, but I have never managed a brisket in under 10 hours. Is the idea that after 8 hours your would remove the meat and the grate and refill the charcoal, then replace it all and continue cooking?

Comment

• fuzzydaddy
                fuzzydaddy commented
                Editing a comment
                On my 22" Kettle and SnS when refilling the charcoal, I get everything ready on my table (charcoal in my chimney that I'll be adding and my tool to flip the hinged grate & move old charcoal). Then I move/slide the top to the side so it holds the hot air above the meat, then do the charcoal work and slide the top back. This keeps a lot of hot air in place vs removing the lid. 1 hand holds the lid and the other hand does the charcoal work. Very quick when you don't need to look at or flip the meat. And ditto to what Huskee said too!

• Barnesdh
                Barnesdh commented
                Editing a comment
                Hi...I am a newbie here. Seeing this post just justified my membership to the Pit Master Club. BnG Beast, I, too, have exactly what you have with the same results. I have been looking for a reasonably cost smoker....overwhelmed with the choices. But reading about the SnS (Kudos to you Pit Boss for your creativity) I will now buy a new Weber kettle and add the SnS. This is really exciting for me. Cheers.

• fuzzydaddy
                fuzzydaddy commented
                Editing a comment
                Welcome to The Pit Barnesdh. Glad to have you here. You'll want to introduce yourself at Forums / Introduce Yourself, and start a New Topic and tell us a bit about you.

Thanks Huskee! Man, they think about everything... Cool.

Comment

• David Parrish
                David Parrish commented
                Editing a comment
                Welcome BnGB! We're glad you're here. You're going to love the Slow 'N Sear. Let me know if you have any questions (I own the company that sells the SnS).

• Huskee
                Huskee commented
                Editing a comment
                Testing the SnS & figuring out the different lighting procedures was some of the easiest 'testing' to do, it just cooperated as if it was made for this! It was designed by smart people who knew how such a product needed to be made and perform. And perform it does.

Too many good reviews, ordered mine today. Where are you in NC? Shipping should be fast.

Comment

Welcome to The Pit ncwood! We're glad you're here. We're in Charlotte but the SnS will ship from Kentucky Monday. You'll probably have it by Wednesday

Comment

Thanks Dave! Looking forward to it.

Comment

Thank you! Let us know how we can help you get up to speed with the SnS.

Comment

David Parrish, the instructions for the SnS all are for KBB. You mentioned using lump in it. Is the procedure basically the same for lump as for KBB? I would like to try lump, and I found B & B in my area!!

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                      No announcement yet.
                      Working...
                      X
                      false
                      ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                      false
                      false
                      {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                      Yes
                      ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                      /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here