Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Introducing the Slow 'N Sear!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Slow n sear chuck roast #2..!! Trying cow crust this time...yum

Comment

Comment

Comment

• smarkley
          smarkley commented
          Editing a comment
          Nice!!!

I love those homemade meteorites... when they look like that you know it is gonna taste AWESOME

Haha yeah it was great!!..hope this next one as good or better...almost done.

Comment

Incredible results with a 5.5lb brisket flat on the SnS this weekend. 10hrs at 225F to get to a final temp of 203 then into the faux cambro for 2hrs. Used hickory which resulted in an incredible sweet, smoky flavor. By far the most tender, juicy brisket success I've had.

Comment

• fzxdoc
            fzxdoc commented
            Editing a comment
            Looks great! Congrats!

Kathryn

Very nice!

Comment

Any SnS users here also make use of the GrillGrates product when searing? What is the recommended size to maximize coverage of the coal area? I'm guessing 13.75" but would like some guidance from those with experience in what I'm asking before I purchase some. I was going to wait until Christmas but since there's a 15% sale going on(today is the last day - coupon code "fish15") I figured why wait?

Comment

Originally posted by Hardwarehank View Post
              Any SnS users here also make use of the GrillGrates product when searing? What is the recommended size to maximize coverage of the coal area? I'm guessing 13.75" but would like some guidance from those with experience in what I'm asking before I purchase some. I was going to wait until Christmas but since there's a 15% sale going on(today is the last day - coupon code "fish15") I figured why wait?
              I'd go with the GGs that are cut to fit the kettle. That should work great.

Comment

• Hardwarehank
                Hardwarehank commented
                Editing a comment
                Thanks PB. With some more thought, and clearing out a brain fart, that would be the best way to go. I didn't end up pulling the trigger though.

Got my Slow N Sear on Thursday, just in time to make Simon and Garfunkel chicken for the first time today:
              Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20150905_152756342.jpg
Views:	162
Size:	168.6 KB
ID:	107459

Although I strayed from the instructions and sort of followed my usual way to get the grill to 325, putting a half chimney of charcoal in the bottom of the SnS and started another half chimney on the side.

Name:	IMG_20150905_155137140.jpg
Views:	152
Size:	165.2 KB
ID:	107458

After I put the lit coals in and got the grill up to temp, I added some hickory chunks and the spatchcock chicken:

Name:	IMG_20150905_161940270.jpg
Views:	185
Size:	184.5 KB
ID:	107460

And here is how it looked a little over an hour later at 165:

Name:	IMG_20150905_173413954.jpg
Views:	161
Size:	194.5 KB
ID:	107456

I think it turned out well, but it was pretty smokey and the rest of the family didn't like it as much. Next time I'll need to add fewer wood chunks and put them in ahead of the chicken. But as far as the SnS goes it was super convenient. Normally it's kind of a pain to keep the coals piled up on one side, but the SnS made it easy to just dump them in and keep a big indirect heat zone. Now I'm excited to try it again with something that will take longer to cook so I can get going without having to set up a snake the whole way around.
              Last edited by wile_e8; September 6, 2015, 01:14 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by wile_e8 View Post
                I think it turned out well, but it was pretty smokey and the rest of the family didn't like it as much. Next time I'll need to add fewer wood chunks and put them in ahead of the chicken. But as far as the SnS goes it was super convenient. Normally it's kind of a pain to keep the coals piled up on one side, but the SnS made it easy to just dump them in and keep a big indirect heat zone. Now I'm excited to try it again with something that will take longer to cook so I can get going without having to set up a snake the whole way around.
                In regards to the smoky, it might be because you didn't follow the lighting directions=)

But maybe not, what I bet most likely happened is you didn't give the coals enough time to level off at a stable temp before adding food. Watch the smoke next time and start 15 minutes earlier than you usually would... when you're at your desired temperature and the smoke is thin white or thin blue you're ready to add your food. Once you get the hang of it you won't need the extra 15 minutes.

Comment

wile_e8 Yeah, that was nearly double the coals you really needed for a quick chicken cook, but hey experimenting is fun if it teaches lessons. I usually use one small wood chunk (between 1/2-1/4 of a fist in size) for a chicken cook and find the smoke adequate.

If you light half a chimney of coals, and as soon as the blue smoke begins to dissipate you add it to the SnS, you should have enough time to get the kettle to ~325+ (in warm/mild weather) and then get roughly 90min of cook time. I like to cook my chickens closer to 345-360 and I can get 1:15+ out of half a chimney of lit coals. Be aware though that the longer you let the chimney of coals sit there and flame on before adding them to your kettle, you're greatly reducing the longevity of the coals. There's a certain degree of 'act fast' to the lighting setup.

Comment

I've posted this on Amazon, abcbarbecue.com, and on the Slow 'N Sear page, and thought I would share with my fellow pit members as this was my best cook yet using the SnS. The family is very happy with tonight's ribs.

Today's cook was St. Louis cut ribs using my Slow 'N Sear & 26" Weber Kettle, with about 9 oz of apple wood and Kingsford Blue charcoal. Rub was Meathead's Memphis Dust. These were perfect "bite-off-the-bone" at 7 hours. My family tells me that with the SnS my cooks have gotten a lot better, which is good to hear since I just ordered a 22" Weber Kettle and another SnS!

Name:	IMG_2939.jpg
Views:	156
Size:	168.5 KB
ID:	108187

Comment

• richinlbrg
                      richinlbrg commented
                      Editing a comment
                      WAY TO GO! They look GREAT!

• Livermoron
                      Livermoron commented
                      Editing a comment
                      Whoa...speechless...

fuzzydaddy

Wait for it........

Name:	PBA.png
Views:	54
Size:	247.6 KB
ID:	108203

Comment

• Spinaker
                      Spinaker commented
                      Editing a comment
                      I didn't realize you were still giving these out......perhaps my Que has been sub par as of late.

• David Parrish
                      David Parrish commented
                      Editing a comment
                      I wouldn't read that into things. It's more like there's so many great cooks going on nowadays it's hard for me to catch all of them

• mackdaddy
                      mackdaddy commented
                      Editing a comment
                      I better get cracking if I want to earn one.😰

It arrived today! 22" Copper Weber Kettle due to arrive tomorrow!

Name:	IMG_2950.jpg
Views:	145
Size:	151.4 KB
ID:	108653

Comment

• David Parrish
                      David Parrish commented
                      Editing a comment
                      Awesome! I like that pic.

Good news is I've got my new Slow 'N Sear. Bad news is my new 22" Copper Kettle arrived damaged. I've already made the call to FireCraft and sent them photos. Hopefully, they will have a new kettle in the mail sooooon! I have a 9 lb pork loin waiting.... Oh, well, guess my plans will have to change a bit.

Name:	IMG_2951.jpg
Views:	166
Size:	105.9 KB
ID:	108793

Comment

• fuzzydaddy
                      fuzzydaddy commented
                      Editing a comment
                      FireCraft tells me since the grill was damaged before being packed, I have to call Weber for a replacement, which I have done. I'm about to send Weber photos of the damage and it roughly sounds like 1 to 2 weeks at best.
                      Last edited by fuzzydaddy; September 10, 2015, 04:50 PM. Reason: Edited to remove a (slight) rant.

• mackdaddy
                      mackdaddy commented
                      Editing a comment
                      What a bummer!

• fuzzydaddy
                      fuzzydaddy commented
                      Editing a comment
                      Well, as it turns out, contacting Weber customer service was the way to go! They shipped a new bottom to me yesterday and Fed-X says it will arrive tomorrow. FireCraft shipments take a bit longer to arrive in my location. Initially I was not pleased with FireCraft as I've never had a store/supplier tell me I had to call the manufacturer; they always ship me a new unit and they handle the manufacturer part of it. Maybe FireCraft knew that Weber customer service was outstanding.

Announcement

Collapse
                  No announcement yet.
                  Working...
                  X
                  false
                  ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                  false
                  false
                  {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                  Yes
                  ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                  /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here