Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Introducing the Slow 'N Sear!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by mackdaddy View Post
    Got Webber 22" original kettle today, ordered SnS yesterday. Hopefully will arrive by Wed. Planning on chicken legs, thighs and two breasts for the first cook. Any special way to arrange the chicken so they are done close to the same time. Going to put the legs on a leg holder.
    I'd put the breasts closest to the center, the water pan area. And the legs closest to the outer far wall, thighs in the middle. The outer wall will tend to run the hottest.

Comment

No special arranging needed but white meat is best at 160F and dark meat at 175F or even a little higher. Place your probes so you hit those temps and you should be golden. Golden and crispy skinned that is

Comment

Decided to try some pizzas on the grill using the SnS Saturday night. They turned out great! Some of the best pizzas I have made. Loaded up a full chimney of coals, and then threw some wood chunks on top to get the real wood-fired pizza taste. Cracked open the front of the lid about an inch to get the fire stoked up, and kept a close eye on the crust. A couple rotations, and it was done. Keep thinking about getting the Kettle Pizza for my next Kettle add-on. This test run with the SnS turned out so great, I don't think I will need to do that. That will save me lots of $$$ (especially since I have been eyeing the Serious Eats edition Kettle Pizza!). SnS saves the day.

Sunday night, SnS returned to killing it with baby backs.

When is ABC gonna get on Twitter? Great way to spread the word about the SnS to the masses (PBC Co uses this medium very well)...

Comment

• Koy Schoppe
          Koy Schoppe commented
          Editing a comment
          Dr Rok, I didn't have anything to keep it from sliding off. It could hold itself open about one to two inches cracked.

• mackdaddy
          mackdaddy commented
          Editing a comment
          Is that a pizza stone under the pizza? What kind? What kind to buy that won't cost to much?

• Koy Schoppe
          Koy Schoppe commented
          Editing a comment
          Mackdaddy,
          Yes, I did have a pizza stone under it. Nothing fancy or expensive, it is years old so not sure what kind.

Koy Schoppe, That pizza looks fantastic! I've also been considering a Kettle Pizza, but it looks like your method does just as well. Did you try doing more than one pizza? How crispy was the bottom crust?

Comment

• David Parrish
          David Parrish commented
          Editing a comment
          With a smaller stone that does not overlap the hot side I'm not sure you'd need to rotate the stone. This is worth testing too.

• Koy Schoppe
          Koy Schoppe commented
          Editing a comment
          Pit Boss,
          Will do, we had a lot of fun making this, so sure we will do it again soon. My stone was just short of the water basin, but still required turning the pizza when the fire was roaring. Actually caught the crust on fire one time (top right corner of the finished pizza pic), but it might have been hanging over the stone some. I need to get a real pizza peel, and work on my transfer technique... Pizza started off roundish, and ended up something else. Kids didn't care, I just squished in one end, and 'dented' the other side, and I told them I made Heart-Shaped pizzas. They thought this was excellent chef work!
          I also want to tinker with closing the lid vent vs leaving it open. I didn't think about this until pizza #4, but thought if I closed the vent it would force more heat down and out the cracked lid, and thus over the pizza.

• Ernest
          Ernest commented
          Editing a comment
          Koy Schoppe Try spinning your grate so that the pizza ends up over the sns for a few minutes.

My phone doesn't get along well enuf with he site...having trbl with posting pics....gotta get on a laptop

Comment

Try using the camera icon when uploading pics with your phone or mobile device. Generally vB doesn't allow the "upload attachment" and "advanced" icons to work unless you're on a Mac or PC.

Comment

Got my SNS last week. Did a rack of St Louis and a rack of beef back ribs yesterday. It kept temp like a champ, even in the sun, but I didn't have to add any water during the cook. I still had water after 6 1/2 hours. I kept it going after the cook and it was still going strong after 9 hours when I went to bed.
            The ribs turned out fantastic.

Comment

• fuzzydaddy
              fuzzydaddy commented
              Editing a comment
              The SnS is pretty special. I don't think there is anything else around that matches its performance and ease of use.

• Huskee
              Huskee commented
              Editing a comment
              Greasy fuzzydaddy It really is a product that performs like one of those infomercials where the product seems too good to be true. Except in this case it's both good and true. True plug & play.

For Thanksgiving Cooking 12-14 lb turkey on PBC. Going to do turkey breasts on my new Webber kettle 22.5" using the SnS so we have drippings for gravy. Want to make a trial run this month. What would be the setup? How many total briquettes, (saw 40 for 320 temp in previous post) do I light part of them and put in a corner for a fuse type. What would be the time frame with the SnS? If anyone has a step by step set up, Please let me know. Thanks. Jim BTW my SnS is shipped and hope to get by Thursday, will post pics of my kettle, chicken & the SnS.

Comment

mackdaddy. These links should get you started.

Lighting instructions
              Owner's manual
              FAQs

These links are from http://www.abcbarbecue.com on this page.
              Last edited by fuzzydaddy; August 3, 2015, 05:54 PM. Reason: Edited to make my post look prettier! Haha!

Comment

• mackdaddy
                mackdaddy commented
                Editing a comment
                Thanks, I will digest them in the next two days.

Half chimney of well lit Kingsford will get you a solid hour and half at 325 (in good summer weather), and that's conservative. However, a big thing to keep in mind is to be sure to add the coals to the SnS relatively quickly after they get to that well lit stage. The more they burn in the chimney unimpeded the less longevity they'll have in your kettle. Thanks fuzzydaddy for providing the links!

Comment

• fuzzydaddy
                fuzzydaddy commented
                Editing a comment
                Oh wait, I'll need another SnS :-)

• Huskee
                Huskee commented
                Editing a comment
                fuzzydaddy but of course! Think of the capacity you'd have, and the ability to cook hot n fast (turkey or chicken) on one and low n slow brisket or ribs on the other.. Prefect balance. Feng shui I think that's called, lol.

• David Parrish
                David Parrish commented
                Editing a comment
                Fuzzy you don't absolutely need another kettle but I think you'd find the 22.5" useful. It gets hotter and reacts more quickly to vent adjustments. I find myself picking one kettle or the other based on how I'm gonna cook that day.

Yesterday I purchased 2 butts (17 lb total) and 1 pork loin (9 lb). I'll cook the pork loin Friday afternoon and the butts starting late night. Pictures will be posted. Saturday dinner can't come soon enough! Hope I don't overeat...too badly.

Comment

You guys . . . First, it was the Smokenator (which I am still in love with). Now, it's the SNS.

Checked in to say how happy I am with my Meathead Temp Guide and stumbled in here to the Slow 'N Sear thread. I read the whole thread.

For years, I've been making do with Weber's coal baskets - moving them around with sticks and tongs, dumping one into the other then banging the ash off, etc. Just placed my order for an SNS. I'll let you know what I think.

Comment

• FLBuckeye
                  FLBuckeye commented
                  Editing a comment
                  I have had a Smokenator for five years or so. The SnS blows it away. With the SN, you had to knock ash off of the coals every hour (their recommendation) and add water to the pan. I discarded the small pan that came with the SN and used a loaf pan that held a lot more water. Coals had to be added after four hours or so and wood had to be added every 30 minutes if doing a butt or brisket for the first two hours. The SnS goes 12 (!) hours on a load of charcoal with minimal tending. The wood can be staged to engage at proper intervals.

Use the SnS a few times and you will put away the SN as I have.

Originally posted by Harry View Post
                You guys . . . First, it was the Smokenator (which I am still in love with). Now, it's the SNS.

Checked in to say how happy I am with my Meathead Temp Guide and stumbled in here to the Slow 'N Sear thread. I read the whole thread.

For years, I've been making do with Weber's coal baskets - moving them around with sticks and tongs, dumping one into the other then banging the ash off, etc. Just placed my order for an SNS. I'll let you know what I think.

Wow, the WHOLE thread? That must have taken a while. Thanks for joining the SnS club!

Comment

Thanks I'll try some pics the next cook 👍

Comment

First try with baby backs since I received the SnS. I used about three quarters of a chimney & the 12 starter briquets of King Blue. Dusted with MHMD & sprayed with butter flavored cooking oil. Temp hovered around 230 & took about 4 hours, but could have used about 20 - 30 minutes more to get a clean pull away from bone. It was very close, but just not quite there after 4 hours. I glazed one side with my spicy BBQ sauce and one side with Sweet Baby Ray's and served with locally grown sweet corn from the freezer. TASTY!
                    Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_5745.JPG
Views:	120
Size:	310.7 KB
ID:	100958

Name:	IMG_5749.JPG
Views:	105
Size:	164.2 KB
ID:	100959

Name:	IMG_5750.JPG
Views:	108
Size:	238.7 KB
ID:	100960
                    Last edited by Dr ROK; August 5, 2015, 08:18 AM.

Comment

• Huskee
                      Huskee commented
                      Editing a comment
                      THAT is a purdy rack o' ribs

Announcement

Collapse
                  No announcement yet.
                  Working...
                  X
                  false
                  ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                  false
                  false
                  {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                  Yes
                  ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                  /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here