Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Introducing the Slow 'N Sear!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Good Morning Happy Cookers!

First live cook on the SnS - MH's Last Meal Ribs.

Inadvertently used MH's BBBR instead of Memphis Dust. That's the problem with unlabeled spices and failing memory. Nevertheless, best dang meal ever! #1's Baked Beans are absolutely "Over the Chain!"

Also, the "bend test" is really cool!

Question: Do wood chips cause the cooker to burn a little hotter than chunks?

Thanks!

-- Ed

Here's the grate temp around 4:24 PM
    Click image for larger version

Name:	Maverick_Grate_Temp.jpg
Views:	77
Size:	176.5 KB
ID:	102985

Dinner Served promptly @ 6-ish

Note: dreaded FoodSaver in corner - Check out #1's Baked Beans

Name:	IMG_0163.JPG
Views:	76
Size:	143.1 KB
ID:	102987

Name:	IMG_0164.JPG
Views:	79
Size:	132.2 KB
ID:	102986

Finally, the almighty chart - LOL!

Name:	PorkLoin_Ribs_Chart_081515.jpg
Views:	68
Size:	97.6 KB
ID:	102988

Comment

• richinlbrg
      richinlbrg commented
      Editing a comment
      Man o man, Medusa , YOU really nailed that one!! CONGRATULATIONS!

You giving out you wife's bean recipe? They look great, too!

Wow. Excellent. Nice smoke ring.

Comment

• Medusa
      Medusa commented
      Editing a comment
      Thanks! I only used 2 - 2oz foil packs of hickory chips as #1 is not a huge fan of smoke. Of course, too much smoke = ruined and wasted meat. These were smoked just right for us!

Beautiful ribs Medusa. Wood chips sure can raise the temp, they can be viewed as extra fuel and BTUs if they're burning. Chunks are more likely to slowly smolder, and chips could light up and burn adding unnecessary heat. I'd advise getting that temp from 226 down to 225. (<------ that was a joke).

I used BBBR on chicken once and loved it, it was kind of cajun-like. How'd you like it on ribs? I'm thinking a stark departure from the standard slightly sweet ribs, but I imagine them being pretty dang good regardless.

Comment

• Medusa
      Medusa commented
      Editing a comment
      Thanks @Huskee!

I was kinda, pretty sure that chips would burn hotter. I mentioned to #1 earlier this week that I was considering going to wood chunks. Kind folks got me several bags of different flavor chips for Xmas.

I think the key difference between the BBBR and the Memphis Dust is that the BBBR has the chili powder / cayenne in it. Certainly added a nice zing and I would do it again.

BTW, I didn't make my own sauce this time. Used Bullseye (which is the same as what #1 used in the Beans). 1 coat per side of rib and caramelized.

IMHO, no way can a restaurant compete with what we can cook!

Beautiful cook, Medusa . Congrats!

Those photos along with the temp profile are a great advertisement for the SNS/kettle combo!

Kathryn

Comment

• Medusa
      Medusa commented
      Editing a comment
      Thanks Kathyrn,

I think in future posts I'll include this data. Helps for planning purposes.

Total Duration (Start = initial 12 coals lit to Finish = ready to serve): 6hr 15 min
      Cook Time: ~ 4hr

Originally posted by AKX250 View Post
    About 8hrs in on 2 - 8lb butts with the SnS. Have only had to adjust the vents on my 22.5" kettle one time (6hrs in) after hitting 225. Temps have been between 223-225 for the first 6hrs. Amazingly, ran a few errands at about the 3.5hr point, came back 2hrs later and was still chugging along at 221. The SnS is "amazeballs" for sure. Just coming out of the stall and am gonna boost with a few more briquettes to push on up to about 203. Any estimates on how much longer this might take with a steady 225?

Lovin' the SnS thread in this forum!

Looks like you finished pretty late last night. Now that you've woke up and have all that pulled pork lying around, may I recommend pulled pork eggs benedict?

Name:	IMG_8919.JPG
Views:	149
Size:	194.3 KB
ID:	103051

Comment

• richinlbrg
      richinlbrg commented
      Editing a comment
      OK, David Parrish , now you are entering being a show off territory!!

WOW, does that ever look GUUDD!

• Hardwarehank
      Hardwarehank commented
      Editing a comment
      That is most delicious looking egg I have ever seen.

• David Parrish
      David Parrish commented
      Editing a comment
      I'll tell my wife. She made the eggs!

Mmmmm...looks y

Comment

Yummy!

Comment

Any recommended tools for cleaning the sns? Or just good ole scrubbing

Comment

• David Parrish
          David Parrish commented
          Editing a comment
          I just scrape off the gunk and keep going. =)

Originally posted by Pit Boss View Post

Looks like you finished pretty late last night. Now that you've woke up and have all that pulled pork lying around, may I recommend pulled pork eggs benedict?

[ATTACH=CONFIG]n103051[/ATTACH]
        That looks amazing David Parrish and thanks for the suggestion! Final pics uploaded Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0904.JPG
Views:	164
Size:	184.4 KB
ID:	103078 Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0916.JPG
Views:	163
Size:	158.0 KB
ID:	103079 Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0917.JPG
Views:	158
Size:	199.3 KB
ID:	103080

Comment

Nailed it AKX250. Great cook!

Wait for it.....

Name:	PBA.png
Views:	122
Size:	247.6 KB
ID:	103082

Comment

Well done, AKX250 !

Kathryn

Comment

BINGO! --Ed

Comment

Very nice, AKX250

Comment

And we're off:

Last edited by Jon Solberg; August 16, 2015, 03:08 PM.

Comment

Awesome Jon Solberg. Keep us posted on how the temps vary between the white and dark meat... and if you rotate. Take a lot of pics. We need them for the website!

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                    No announcement yet.
                    Working...
                    X
                    false
                    ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                    false
                    false
                    {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                    Yes
                    ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                    /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here