Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Introducing the Slow 'N Sear!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Ya know there are like 7000 Pitmaster club members. I figured if they each donate a dollar the SnS gets funded...

I think I need to come up with a challenge. Hummmmm I'm thinking.....

Comment

• Huskee
      Huskee commented
      Editing a comment
      If only....

It was mentioned that this device fits both the 22 and 26. Is it a one-size SnS fits both kind of deal or is it 2 different sizes?

Also, does it snap into place at all like the Smokenator or does it just sit on the charcoal grate like the baskets that Weber makes?

Because of the way it blocks radiant heat you could put food on the charcoal grate if you were really trying to fill up the kettle chamber with meat.

Very cool product. I can't wait to see some more detailed Youtube videos of it.

The Smokenator is a cool product. This takes all of the good things of the Smokenator and eliminates the negatives (trying to completely fill the chamber, having to knock off ash, having to add water every hour, only getting 4-5 hours of burn before adding coals). The ONLY tradeoff vs the Sn that I can see is it looks like it has slightly less food support grate room as this device is a covers a little bit more real estate on the charcoal grate. Having said that, the difference appears nominal and when taken with all of the positives...it really does appear to be significantly better than the Sn. Keep in mind, the Sn is a very successful product with a loyal following in spite of its flaws. If managed properly I don't see why the SnS won't overtake the Sn, I really don't.
    Last edited by JeffJ; May 9, 2015, 09:02 PM.

Comment

• Huskee
      Huskee commented
      Editing a comment
      It just sits on the grate, easy in, easy out for cleaning. It can be positioned either tight to the kettle wall to about 1-1.5" away from the side wall of the kettle to provide a secondary thermal barrier for cold weather use as well, so less charcoal heat conducts thought the kettle wall into the atmosphere. The heat is directed up and put to use rather than bled through direct wall contact.

Originally posted by JeffJ View Post
    It was mentioned that this device fits both the 22 and 26. Is it a one-size SnS fits both kind of deal or is it 2 different sizes?

Also, does it snap into place at all like the Smokenator or does it just sit on the charcoal grate like the baskets that Weber makes?

Because of the way it blocks radiant heat you could put food on the charcoal grate if you were really trying to fill up the kettle chamber with meat.

Very cool product. I can't wait to see some more detailed Youtube videos of it.

The Smokenator is a cool product. This takes all of the good things of the Smokenator and eliminates the negatives (trying to completely fill the chamber, having to knock off ash, having to add water every hour, only getting 4-5 hours of burn before adding coals). The ONLY tradeoff vs the Sn that I can see is it looks like it has slightly less food support grate room as this device is a covers a little bit more real estate on the charcoal grate. Having said that, the difference appears nominal and when taken with all of the positives...it really does appear to be significantly better than the Sn. Keep in mind, the Sn is a very successful product with a loyal following in spite of its flaws. If managed properly I don't see why the SnS won't overtake the Sn, I really don't.

It's one size for now, hopefully when things take off we can make smaller ones for the 14" Smokey Joe and 18" kettles. Like PB said before, the lower grate wants to run 40-50 degrees cooler, likely due to the insulating effect of the water reservoir, full or empty. Give & take. This enables a slower burn and more hands off time for food on the top grate.

Comment

• JeffJ
      JeffJ commented
      Editing a comment
      Given its capabilities making it to scale larger for the 26 doesn't make sense to me and I am glad to hear that it's a 1-size fits 2 proposition.

When it does take off I recommend marketing it as a better alternative to the Smokenator, which is it's only real competitor IMO (Vortex is too different in design to be regarded as a competing product IMO). Also, I think it's important to illustrate how it's superior to the foiled brick setup that you yourself have recently used - why is it worth it to spend the extra dough for this thing? I am quite confident that these issues have already been discussed at length - just thinking out-loud.
      Last edited by JeffJ; May 9, 2015, 11:43 PM.

I'll address JeffJ's suggestion above. What makes the Slow 'N Sear special?

1) High quality build - 5 lbs of 304 Stainless Steel goes into each Slow 'N Sear
    2) The Water Reservoir - It slowly steams off water for 5 hours and is very easy to refill if more steam is needed
    3) The Water Reservoir - Full OR empty the WR acts as a barrier to radiant heat, allowing very even cooking over the entire indirect side of the grate
    4) The Charcoal Basket - It keeps the charcoal grouped together as the briquets burn and get smaller. This allows for a consistent burn that needs little or no tending for hours
    5) The Charcoal Basket - The basket walls capture heat and reflect it upwards, giving you a very intense and evenly heated sear zone. The shape of the basket convects heated air through and around the coals, causing them to burn consistently and get very very hot
    6) The Charcoal Basket - For longer cooks it is very easy to refill the basket without temp fluctuations

So we could say the SnS is better than the competition out there by comparing the competition to one or a few of the above features, or we could ask does the SnS really have a competitor that can do all the SnS can do?

Comment

• JeffJ
      JeffJ commented
      Editing a comment
      That all makes sense to me. I watched you Youtube video with the thermometer probes and this thing absolutely prevents radiant heat, which is very important IMO. I really like the Sn and have had a lot of success using it. the SnS does everything the Sn does without any of the compromises of the Sn. It's what the Sn should have been and that's not a knock on the Sn it's a testament to how cool I think the SnS really is. Like I said, I was sold on putting a 22.5" WSM on my Christmas wish list. I am seriously reconsidering and asking for a SnS and a 26.75" kettle. Kettles can do so many things that a single purpose device like a WSM can't and to be able to have it be as good of a smoker as a Sn equipped kettle but without all of the hassle? I know I am repeating myself but this may be Que Utopia for me.

• Huskee
      Huskee commented
      Editing a comment
      JeffJ thanks for your support!

Thanks David Parrish. To be honest the SN doesn't impressed me for several reasons.
    1. The water pan is to small and has to be refill every 30-45 mins which results in losing heat every time the lid is open.
    2. It isn't that easy to refill with charcoal
    which also means your losing heat when refilling.
    3. It has a little rod to stir the coals around and knock off the ashes
    4- Doing all of the above only results in prolonging the cooks because of so much heat lost.
    That's my story and I'm sticking to it 😊

Comment

Originally posted by DWCowles View Post
      Thanks David Parrish. To be honest the SN doesn't impressed me for several reasons.
      1. The water pan is to small and has to be refill every 30-45 mins which results in losing heat every time the lid is open.
      2. It isn't that easy to refill with charcoal
      which also means your losing heat when refilling.
      3. It has a little rod to stir the coals around and knock off the ashes
      4- Doing all of the above only results in prolonging the cooks because of so much heat lost.
      That's my story and I'm sticking to it 😊
      DWCowles Those are the same reasons why I never purchased a SN, the cost was too high IMO for the actual mass of what you got, and I could accomplish all the same things with two bricks and a bread pan of water (cost = ~$6). The SnS beats both methods and it's a heavy weight piece of equipment. I knew what was involved with manufacturing and I was still shocked when I got mine and picked it up.

Comment

• DWCowles
        DWCowles commented
        Editing a comment
        Huskee yeah the SN was a waste of money but by adding a side and bottom (like with treated 1x4 lumber) the SN will make a nice flower pot. 😂

I think it's important to note we're not going to bash the SN or any other similar accessory, we'll just state facts of what the SnS can and will do, and let consumers note any inherent improvements over the current device(s) available.

Comment

Huskee I just giving my review and since I have had my experience with it and don't like it I should be able to bash it. But I will delete my last comment.

Comment

Originally posted by DWCowles View Post
          Huskee I just giving my review and since I have had my experience with it and don't like it I should be able to bash it. But I will delete my last comment.
          DWCowles Not necessary to delete it!! Free speech man. You can bash whatever you want, lol. I'm just saying Dave & I will not publicly bash another product, I know Dave prefers ethical business practices and all that.

Comment

Huskee no problem. I understand you and Dave's situation as being in business. Being a consumer I was giving my review of the SN. I hesitated for a long time about purchasing it after first reading about it on this forum and I thought (and still do) it was overprice. As you may know by now I just tell like it is 😆. But sometimes I get carry away 😊. With that said, I still love cooking with wood logs 😎.

Comment

DWCowles amen bro. I love it too. Logs will always be my fav.

Comment

man I want one!

Comment

Otis A Log?

Just kidding, me too but waiting for Kickstarter is like watching paint dry.

Comment

We got to kickstart that Kickstarter somehow.
                  Last edited by Jon Solberg; May 11, 2015, 06:59 PM.

Comment

• Powersmoke_80
                    Powersmoke_80 commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Maybe AR needs to do a review and list it on there review page of accesories with a possible GOLD medal award to help promote this awesomeness in the making!

• David Parrish
                    David Parrish commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Jon Solberg I'm sure one of our Pit members is a member of the Weber Kettle Club. http://weberkettleclub.com/forums/

Perhaps he/she could reach out to the site owner to see if the WKC would be interested in reviewing the SnS.

Good thinking, @powersmoke_80!

IMHO, it SHOULD have a fair and honest review.

Comment

• David Parrish
                    David Parrish commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Don't worry Rich. The SnS will have it's day in the spotlight. Really it already has. MH's quote on our KickStarter page pretty much says it all. =)

Announcement

Collapse
                No announcement yet.
                Working...
                X
                false
                ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                false
                false
                {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                Yes
                ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here