Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Introducing the Slow 'N Sear!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by pittkappasig View Post
    Is this the announcement you were alluding to on another thread when you told someone to buy a kettle? i will make you an offer: $75000 for 30% and a $5 royalty on each unit sold (I've been watching shark tank recently) I'm getting back to basics this year and sold off my expensive gasser and focusing on my weber, count me in!
    The Campaign will start shortly. Back us at the $200 level and get a SnS as quick as possible!

Comment

It's getting real.
      Click image for larger version

Name:	kickstarter.PNG
Views:	211
Size:	31.1 KB
ID:	80914

Comment

Steak Cook from a few nights ago. Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_7502.JPG
Views:	160
Size:	240.7 KB
ID:	80920

Name:	IMG_7511.JPG
Views:	124
Size:	241.5 KB
ID:	80921

Attached Files

Comment

• Steve Vojtek
          Steve Vojtek commented
          Editing a comment
          Look at the sear on that steak! I bet it was awesome - I want to eat my screen....I love steaks .. I'm willing to buy a Webber but will the Slow 'N Sear be available to overseas buyers? Australia? Please say yes...

• David Parrish
          David Parrish commented
          Editing a comment
          Steve we're working on it but the priority for now is a successful launch in the US.

• Steve Vojtek
          Steve Vojtek commented
          Editing a comment
          I'm sure it will be successful judging by this thread.. There are numerous distributors of American BBQ's and accessories here and You know the Australian BBQ scene is growing fast - looking forward to acquiring one but for now I will get a Webber and practice .....

Pulled Pork on a kettle with the Slow "n Sear

Name:	pork butt.jpg
Views:	216
Size:	124.2 KB
ID:	80924

Comment

Can not wait to try it!

Comment

Ribs on the Slow 'N Sear
            • 22" Weber kettle
            • One chimney full unlit Kford blue bag
            • Couple small chunks apple wood.
            • Water reservoir 3/4 full
            • Added 12 well-lit briquets.

Name:	IMAG0074 (3).jpg
Views:	227
Size:	155.2 KB
ID:	80943

Name:	IMAG0075 (3).jpg
Views:	209
Size:	171.6 KB
ID:	80944

Name:	IMAG0079 (3).jpg
Views:	238
Size:	151.5 KB
ID:	80945

Name:	IMAG0078 (3).jpg
Views:	211
Size:	148.2 KB
ID:	80942

Ribs dry brined in my rib rub about an hour, generous topper of brown sugar.
            Occasional vent adjustments until temp is settled at 225-235
            Approx 8 hr cook in this case (large, thick rack of ribs...)

Name:	IMAG0082 (3).jpg
Views:	187
Size:	288.9 KB
ID:	80938

Name:	IMAG0086 (3).jpg
Views:	180
Size:	306.4 KB
ID:	80946

Name:	IMAG6295.jpg
Views:	210
Size:	100.7 KB
ID:	80947
            Attached Files

Comment

Pit Boss, I am assuming this is what you were referring to in our discussion last night. It looks promising - holds more briquettes than the Smokenator. So big question is - how does it obviate the need for a thermostat? No blower - so does this just have more temperature stability? I have pretty good luck with the SN, it just tends to creep up on me.

If I blow off the PartyQ, is this likely to have temperature stability in addition to a longer burn? How do we get one? You mentioned a target price of $80, but a likely kickstarter contribution of $200?

Thanks, MrSkimo

Comment

• MrSkimo
                MrSkimo commented
                Editing a comment
                Huskee and Pit Boss - Just curious, would you say the same thing for the SN? I am excited for your device and will definitely get one, but I'm still wondering about the claims on not needing the thermostat regulator.

I've had great results on SN, but had still decided I needed (wanted) something to regulate temps so that I didn't have to babysit it so closely. I could keep the temps within a 20 to 30 degree band, but it was tough - especially when it was cold out, wind blowing, etc. I had hoped a thermostat regulator would make it easier.

1) Do you think there is something intrinsic to your device that makes it more temp stable than the SN, or is it just that the thermal mass from the larger body of briquettes and water reservoir keeps it in the channel?

2) Just curious about refilling briquettes. I recently cooked a brisket for 10 hours on the SN and it was a lot of work. As you both likely know, the challenge with that device is that if you aren't paying close attention and let the charcoal get too low, it is hard to put the right ratio of lit/unlit coals in to get it to the target 225-235 temperature. I had pretty good luck if I just added three or four new briquettes every 30 minutes or so but that is a lot of work. What is your recommended method of refueling on the Slow 'N Sear for long cooks that go beyond the initial load of charcoal?

• MrSkimo
                MrSkimo commented
                Editing a comment
                Oh - and what is our new shorthand acronym for referring to your device? :-) Are we going with SNS, S'NS - something else?

• David Parrish
                David Parrish commented
                Editing a comment
                A thermostat regulator will help if you're goal is to have set and forget simplicity... however, I left my kettle unattended for two hours last weekend and it held temps quite well without me =)

We're calling it SnS for short.

Check out Alex's post on page 3. He answers both of your questions quite nicely

I wish I thought of this. Water is a great insulator. My only concern is what if it develops a leak? Hopefuly people recognize its advantges over the currently available kettle smoker attachments. Best of luck.

Comment

• Jon Solberg
                Jon Solberg commented
                Editing a comment
                This things built like a Rolex. I'm very comfortable saying its never gong to develop a leak. It's really well made.
                Last edited by Jon Solberg; May 4, 2015, 05:27 AM.

Originally posted by W.A. View Post
              I wish I thought of this. Water is a great insulator. My only concern is what if it develops a leak? Hopefuly people recognize its advantges over the currently available kettle smoker attachments. Best of luck.

One of our testers uses a kettle to compete at barbecue competitions. He told me after using the Slow 'N Sear that it has permanently replaced his other accessory he used in the past.

Jon is right. It's hard to appreciate just seeing the SnS in a photo but it's very ruggedly built. I've fired it up countless times and it's never leaked.

Comment

I wish I knew about this before I got the SN and PartyQ

Comment

• DWCowles
                  DWCowles commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Huskee that's true...the copper kettle is still in the box

• David Parrish
                  David Parrish commented
                  Editing a comment
                  And a year later I'm pretty sure it's STILL in the box. lol AmIRight?

• DWCowles
                  DWCowles commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Yes David Parrish it's still in the box

Looks awesome , I am in.

Comment

I want this, where's the add to cart button?! Some things I notice though that are different from the SN I own. It looks bigger, which takes away less indirect cooking space, also there's no heat shield on top of the coals. It still has an open bottom design, the PartyQ can still blow the coals.

Comment

​Dave Parrish , Huskee Guys, as the owner of more grills and smokers than I want to count....two of them being Weber 22 inchers... and having the Smoke EZ, the Vortex, and the Smokenator.....what more can I say....count me in! Let me know when the kickstarter goes and I will be happy to help. You guys rock....(now why couldn't I have thought of that he says, walking away mumbling....)

Comment

Originally posted by Father87 View Post
                      I want this, where's the add to cart button?! Some things I notice though that are different from the SN I own. It looks bigger, which takes away less indirect cooking space, also there's no heat shield on top of the coals. It still has an open bottom design, the PartyQ can still blow the coals.

Check out the brioche bread buns at the bottom of the KickStarter page and you'll see the SnS cooks very evenly across the entire surface of the food grate. It might appear to have less cooking space than other accessories, but that's deceiving.

Comment

Guys, this looks phenomenal! Wish I could get in as a tester/promoter as much as I cook, but it's not in the cards. But I wish you the best.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                      No announcement yet.
                      Working...
                      X
                      false
                      ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                      false
                      false
                      {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                      Yes
                      ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                      /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here