Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Winter time snow/ice/inclement weather cooking pics!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Click image for larger version

Name:	ACD9F813-A2BE-4C08-B35D-AFD926451EAF.jpeg
Views:	200
Size:	136.0 KB
ID:	625980 Safety shouldn’t be shocking.

Shocking some thick NY Strips from the SV. Use the natural cold of the snow on the deck. Will be giving them some smoke in the Grilla later.

Comment

• Mr. Bones
      Mr. Bones commented
      Editing a comment
      Fine job, way to utilize available resources!
      This time of year, I definitely play th home field advantage, as it exponentially increases my fridge, freezer, storage, an safe thaw capacities...

Gotta make th best of winter, use it to yer advantage, cause it ain't likely to go away, anytime soon.

• Troutman
      Troutman commented
      Editing a comment
      I hate winter but love SV steaks !!!

I have been craving some smoked meat so I decided I would take part of Saturday off for a little cooking. Stuffed pork loin, kielbasa, and chicken wings. I was afraid it would be too cold out (2 degrees at noon) so I moved the PBC into my garage. Little bit of wind we had made for a -17 wind chill so I shut all the doors. Food was great but my garage smells like smoke. Kind of like it though. Wife doesn't. Sorry no pics; I think my phone froze.

Comment

• Donw
      Donw commented
      Editing a comment
      Didn’t you have worries about carbon monoxide?

• jfmorris
      jfmorris commented
      Editing a comment
      Yikes! Good way to get CO poisoning, in the house too if its an attached garage. I run a propane cooker in my garage in inclement weather, but only with the roll up door and side door fully open for ventilation.

• gdsim1
      gdsim1 commented
      Editing a comment
      Love this! My PBC lives in the garage during winter, and gets brought in during warmer months when it’s raining too... NOTHING stops the ‘que at my house dangit! :-)

Door is always open during cooks, and even at that my garage smells like BARBEQUE HEAVEN for days after! LOL

Name:	542EBB1E-5738-42F0-8520-6BC1C655DBB9.jpeg
Views:	173
Size:	132.2 KB
ID:	626190 Cold and windy in Va. Click image for larger version

Name:	FC76475B-B618-462A-AF97-54CE535622A3.jpeg
Views:	202
Size:	176.8 KB
ID:	626189

Comment

On Sunday I seasoned the new smoker in the brisk 0 degree weather and after getting about 6 inches of snow of Saturday! Looking forward to my next option to smoke something on it!
      Attached Files

Comment

• jfmorris
        jfmorris commented
        Editing a comment
        That bad boy ought to hold a lot of ribs! Or butts.... or chicken...

I always smoke lots, and freeze the leftovers with my vacuum sealer for quick meals out of the microwave.

• Fire Art
        Fire Art commented
        Editing a comment
        Nice smoker who’s Skip

• Mr. Bones
        Mr. Bones commented
        Editing a comment
        Lookin forward to seein yer cooks, on this spiiffy new cooker, Sister!
        Smoke On!

I had the garage door open slightly to let air in and prevent CO buildup. Back door was open also so air could move through. With a little bit of air circulating through I was not concerned about CO. Garage didn't warm up much though.

Comment

Had the KBQ running for 6hrs on Saturday (20ish degrees and snow falling) and 3 on Sunday (8-10 degrees and Sunny). Wind was messing with my temps so I put the wind break from my PBC around it. It’s not big enough to cover all the sides though.

Name:	A90F34E5-E9CB-48B6-A602-B761DB592BF0.jpeg
Views:	208
Size:	124.0 KB
ID:	626613

Comment

• EdF
          EdF commented
          Editing a comment
          I'll bet it was enough to get the job done, though!

Reverse seared tri-tip finished up on the Weber, Gotta love the left overs!
        Attached Files

Comment

• Mr. Bones
          Mr. Bones commented
          Editing a comment
          Looks delicious, from where I'm sittin!
          Nice Job!

Name:	43295581-8DEE-42BD-B01D-C85F57F70353.jpeg
Views:	174
Size:	118.6 KB
ID:	628547Click image for larger version

Name:	4EC05D88-76DC-43A1-B7EA-15DE4B6C50B0.jpeg
Views:	195
Size:	99.9 KB
ID:	628548 Just a light hour or so of smoke on some pork shoulder nuggets for a Pork Lomito. Pressure cooking the rest of the way.

Comment

• Troutman
          Troutman commented
          Editing a comment
          That Bayless recipe does look good PKB

• Potkettleblack
          Potkettleblack commented
          Editing a comment
          With the pork smoked instead of seared... it was really amazing. My wife is lusting after the last serving that I was supposed to bring for lunch today.

• Mr. Bones
          Mr. Bones commented
          Editing a comment
          Rick Bayless does some really good stuff, I very much enjoy both readin, an watchin him!

Have some polar vortex pork belly burnt ends going in the PBC just so that I can say I cooked during the event! I piled the snow around the PBC and let her go for a couple of hours so she'd burrow in her own little bit of insulation.

disclaimer: I waited until day 2. temp was only -2 when I started and has since actually climbed into positive territory. I was a wimp this time around and im sort of ashamed.
        Attached Files

Comment

• Mr. Bones
          Mr. Bones commented
          Editing a comment
          AhhhOoooRaaahhh!!!

Smoke On, Brother!

• Potkettleblack
          Potkettleblack commented
          Editing a comment
          Day 2 was a nice day for it, even when it was -15 here in the morning. Not much wind. Day 1 was insane.

• HawkerXP
          HawkerXP commented
          Editing a comment
          Now that is cold smoking!

Name:	8780EBB8-1E6A-4681-B49B-8B8BE8FEBBB2.jpeg
Views:	175
Size:	110.4 KB
ID:	630559Click image for larger version

Name:	A7E7A19B-1738-492A-A3A1-86448B940419.png
Views:	181
Size:	147.5 KB
ID:	630558

Comment

Snowing and sleeting here in northern, VA. Sooooo....you guessed it.
          No BB ribs to be found last night, but I did pick up a couple packs of beef short ribs.
          Attached Files

Comment

Name:	FB9A0A93-5534-4CF5-BEC5-A096B536A5E9.jpeg
Views:	179
Size:	143.4 KB
ID:	638666

Comment

Haven't done a lot of grilling or smoking this winter, but here's me cooking a ribeye steak this past New Year's Eve for DH and me to share. One of the best steaks I've ever done, if I do say so myself. This was my first cook on the new Weber.

First photo showed the view that night from our second story deck -- it's what I see when I face away from the grill. Light snow was falling and plenty of snow was already on the ground that evening.

We've gotten a lot more snow since then -- another 5 inches fell today for a total of 30.6 inches of snow that's fallen since January 1. I estimate we have around 18 inches on the ground tonight. Lately there have been some monster icicles hanging from the roof above my head when I stand at the grill and that's another disincentive to grill. (The Weber is safe under the eaves.)

Name:	tomahawk steak cook 2018 12 31.jpg
Views:	180
Size:	53.6 KB
ID:	638950

Name:	tomahawk steak cook 2 2018 12 31.jpg
Views:	167
Size:	52.0 KB
ID:	638951

Name:	tomahawk steak cook 3 2018 12 31.jpg
Views:	159
Size:	52.9 KB
ID:	638952

Comment

• Mr. Bones
                Mr. Bones commented
                Editing a comment
                Way to go, Sister!

• Fire Art
                Fire Art commented
                Editing a comment
                Nice but that grill is to shiny

• IowaGirl
                IowaGirl commented
                Editing a comment
                I'm plannin' ta fix that problem real soon!

Name:	5D0BD019-53D5-40C8-BB78-EDA4C822DFFB.jpeg
Views:	156
Size:	134.1 KB
ID:	639015Click image for larger version

Name:	558D69E0-A48A-4373-BFC7-EFDA8865104B.jpeg
Views:	180
Size:	96.0 KB
ID:	639013Click image for larger version

Name:	CCC294C0-A636-454A-93A3-21DB67AC3737.jpeg
Views:	149
Size:	80.4 KB
ID:	639014
              Cooking in the snow with a moose.

Comment

• Fire Art
                Fire Art commented
                Editing a comment
                We use too have moose till the Wolves ate them

• HawkerXP
                HawkerXP commented
                Editing a comment
                How about. "Cooking moose in the snow"?

• hogdog6
                hogdog6 commented
                Editing a comment
                That would be delicious but I haven't drawn out yet for a moose tag, I'll keep trying though. I was just in Jackson Hole last summer and saw 3 moose. Those wolves have been busy.

Not really inclement, it's actually a nice sunny 32 degree day and I've been going out in sandals and a t-shirt to stoke the fire....but winter nonetheless. ~12" of snow on the ground, path shoveled. The Yoder has been going strong on a rib cook for guests tonight...

Name:	IMAG2363.jpg
Views:	150
Size:	161.9 KB
ID:	639263

Comment

• Mr. Bones
                Mr. Bones commented
                Editing a comment
                Awesome pic, Brother!
                Please, if ya would, email me a hi-res of this, to go into desktop rotation, next!

• Huskee
                Huskee commented
                Editing a comment
                Mr. Bones done

• Mr. Bones
                Mr. Bones commented
                Editing a comment
                Thanks, Amigo!

Announcement

Collapse
            No announcement yet.
            Working...
            X
            false
            ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
            false
            false
            {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
            Yes
            ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
            /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here