Welcome!

This is a membership forum. As a guest, you can click around a bit. View 3 pages for free. If you would like to participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Contact Us ]

There are 2 page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse

Meat-Up in Memphis 2021

SOLD OUT! Secure your spot on our waitlist now. First-come, first-served!
Click here for details. (https://amazingribs.com/memphis)
See more
See less

Show us what you're cooking - 3/6/2016 through 11/7/2020

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • ecowper
    Founding Member
    • Jul 2014
    • Maple Valley, WA
    • Grill = Hasty-Bake Gourmet Dual Finish
      Smoke = Weber Smokey Mountain 22.5"

Thermometer = FireBoard FBX11 with 2 ambient and 6 meat probes
      Thermometer = Maverick ET732
      Thermometer = ThermoWorks Chef Alarm
      Thermapen Mk IV = Light blue
      Thermapen Classic = Grey
      PID Controller = Fireboard Drive + Auber 20 CFM Fan

Favorite cook = Tri-Tip for the grill, whole packer brisket for the smoker
      Favorite wine = a good Bordeaux with steak, a good Syrah with pork, or a nice bottle of Champagne or California sparkling wine
      Favorite beer = Sam Adams Boston Lager or Shiner Bock
      Favorite whisky = Lagavulin 16 year old single malt

Best Cookbooks - Meathead's "The Science of Great Barbecue and Grilling", Chris Lilly's "Big Bob Gibson's BBQ Book", Aaron Franklin's "Franklin BBQ"

Eric Cowperthwaite aka ecowper

The July 4th spread. Flank steak (I use a Mediterranean marinade for it usually), chicken breast and back ribs for the meat. Deviled eggs, oriental chicken salad, potato salad, Mediterranean pasta salad and fruit salad for the sides. Had 10 people total, including the wife and I, the kids, plus six guests. Nothing survived.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_7750.JPG
Views:	31
Size:	2.00 MB
ID:	191698

Comment

• ecowper
      ecowper commented
      Editing a comment
      Forgot to mention .... cooked the flank steak and chicken on the Hasty-Bake and the ribs on the WSM. Love having two cookers now.

• fuzzydaddy
      fuzzydaddy commented
      Editing a comment
      ecowper Beautiful. I love deviled eggs! You'll really love it when you have 3 or 4 cookers :-)

• ecowper
      ecowper commented
      Editing a comment
      fuzzydaddy deviled eggs are probably my favorite side for a summer meal! I'm trying to convince the wife that I could take one of the yard and make it into an outdoor kitchen and Tiki Bar .....
  • Dewesq55
    Founding Member
    • Jul 2014
    • The Poconos, NEPA
    • Smoker:
      Landmann Smoke Master Series Heavy Duty Barrel Smoker (COS) - With mods including 2 level rack system with pull-out grates
      Masterbuilt 40.2" 1200W Electric Smoker
      Masterbuilt ThermoTemp XL 40" Vertical Propane Smoker

Gas Grill:
      BBQPro (cheap big box store model) Stainless steel 4 burnerswith aftermarket rotisserie.

Charcoal Grill:
      Weber Smokey Joe Charcoal Grill 14"

Thermometer:​​​​​​
      Fireboard 2 with Drive cable and 20 CFM fan and Competition Probe Package
      Fireboard 1st Generation
      ThermoWorks Mini Instant Read
      Lavaworks Thermowand Instant Read
      2 Maverick 733
      ThermoWorks IR-GUN-S Industrial Infrared Thermometer
      ThermoWorks ThermaPen Mk4 x 2
      Govee Bluetooth Thermometer with 6 probes

Miscellaneous:
      Anova Sous Vide Immersion Circulator - 1st generation
      Anova Sous Vide Immersion Circulator - wifi/bluetooth connected

Favorite Beer:
      Anything to the dark side and malty rather than hoppy. Currently liking Yuengling Porter and Newcastle Brown Ale. In a bar or pub I will often default to Guiness

Favorite Spirit:
      Bourbon - Eagle Rare for "every day"; Angel's Envy for special occasions, Basil Hayden's, Larceny

Favorite Wine:
      Napa Valley Cabernet Sauvignon Super Tuscan Sangiovese (Including Chianti Classico Riserva) Brunello di Montalcino

Favorite Meat(s):
      Pork - especially the darker meat. I love spare ribs and anything made from shoulder/butt meat
      Chicken - Mainly the dark meat and wings
      Beef Ribeye steak

Favorite Cuisine to Cook:
      Can't list just one: Indian, Chinese, Thai, West Indian/Carribean, Hispanic/Latin American, Ethiopian, Italian, BBQ

Favorite Cuisine to Eat:
      Indian, followed closely by BBQ.

Disqus ID:
      David E. Waterbury

Left over brisket sandwich. Hunk of brisket point reheated in the HTTM, sliced, put on a toasted garlic roll, topped with some slivered red onion, a drizzle of Barrister DEW's Rum Molasses BBQ Sauce and pepper jack cheese. Popped under the broiler to melt the cheese. It was absolutely delicious:

Name:	ProShot_20160706_202037-01.jpeg
Views:	37
Size:	1.34 MB
ID:	191717

Name:	ProShot_20160706_202155-02.jpeg
Views:	24
Size:	1.48 MB
ID:	191719

Name:	ProShot_20160706_202539-01.jpeg
Views:	21
Size:	1.39 MB
ID:	191718

Name:	ProShot_20160706_202755-02.jpeg
Views:	32
Size:	931.9 KB
ID:	191720

Comment

• fuzzydaddy
      fuzzydaddy commented
      Editing a comment
      Mmm, it all looks delicious! Well done!
  • RonB
    Club Member
    • Apr 2016
    • Near Richmond VA
    • Weber Performer Deluxe
      SNS
      Pizza insert
      Rotisserie
      Smokenator 1000
      Cookshack Smokette Elite
      2 Thermapens
      Chefalarm
      Dot
      lots of probes.
      CyberQ

From the other day. I was out of sandwich bread, so I decided to do some burger buns while I was at it. This recipe rises so high that I decided to try to force the buns to spread rather than rise. That did not work for two reasons. 1 - I put the buns too close together on the pan, and 2 - the rise was strong enough to raise the half sheet pan with 8 lbs of water on it anyway. So I wound up with very tall slider buns. That's OK because they still taste great and are very tender. I did freeze them two to a pack, but I'm thinking I should have done three. BTW - this bake was in the oven because I don't want smoke on my sandwich bread, and burgers should have enough smoke without adding smoke to the bun.

Name:	A07Y4932.jpg
Views:	31
Size:	167.1 KB
ID:	191760

Name:	A07Y4938.jpg
Views:	27
Size:	226.0 KB
ID:	191761

Comment

• ecowper
      ecowper commented
      Editing a comment
      I'll be right over

• fuzzydaddy
      fuzzydaddy commented
      Editing a comment
      Love fresh bread! Yours looks great.
  • DWCowles
    Founding Member
    • Jul 2014
    • Smiths Grove, Ky
    • Hi, my name is Darrell. I'm an OTR truck driver for over 25 years. During my off time I love doing backyard cooks. I have a 48" Lang Deluxe smoker, Rec-Tec pellet smoker,1 Weber Genesis 330, 1 Weber Performer (blue), 2 Weber kettles (1 black and 1 Copper), 1 26" Weber kettle, a WSM, 8 Maverick Redi Chek thermometers, a PartyQ, 2 SnS, Grill Grates, Cast Iron grates, 1 ThermoPop (orange) and 2 ThermoPens (pink and orange) and planning on adding more cooking accessories. Now I have an Anova sous vide, the Dragon blower and 2 Chef alarms from Thermoworks.

Just a few beer brats on the Weber kettle / SnS Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_0001.2.jpg
Views:	30
Size:	94.3 KB
ID:	191915

Comment

• fuzzydaddy
      fuzzydaddy commented
      Editing a comment
      I'll take the pan in the foreground please.

• David Parrish
      David Parrish commented
      Editing a comment
      I'VE seen that pic before! Thanks for posting it to the Adrenaline Barbecue Facebook Page!

• DWCowles
      DWCowles commented
      Editing a comment
      You are welcome Pit Boss ...for some reason I had a lot of shares
  • bbqoaf
    Former Member
    • Jul 2014
    • Calgary, Alberta, Canada

BBBR'd brisket for my brother's stag party tomorrow that just went on the kettle.

Comment

• fuzzydaddy
      fuzzydaddy commented
      Editing a comment
      That's going to be some big bad beef for sure.
  • Steve R.
    Club Member
    • Jul 2016
    • Elizabethtown, KY
    • Current line-up of cookers: Weber 26" kettle w/ SnS and BBQ Guru adapter; Weber Smokey Mountain 22" w/ Guru adapter.

Tomorrow's dinner. 8 lb butt with MMD rub with a couple of chunks of plum, and 1 oak for good measure. The binder clips fixed my air eakage problem. I am still learning the SNS and 225 degrees remains elusive, but I have managed to groove 235 for a good while now. I can live with that for now.
    Attached Files

Comment

• Breadhead
      Breadhead commented
      Editing a comment
      225° to 240°... All is good in the low and slow world.👍
  • Breadhead
    Banned Former Member
    • Jul 2014

RonB ... Nice looking buns. I like their color and adding the sesame seeds makes them sexy.😆

The burger buns you buy at the grocery store are all perfectly round and uniform in size. The is achieved by putting your dough in ring molds.

Freestanding buns, not in a ring mold, will be different sizes and they will expand outwardly not upwardly.

You can make ring molds out of Aluminum foil or you can buy them on Amazon.

Comment

• RonB
      RonB commented
      Editing a comment
      Breadhead - Thanx. I actually wanted them to spread more and rise less. Next time I may try increasing the hydration a bit although I know that will make handling the dough more difficult.

• Breadhead
      Breadhead commented
      Editing a comment
      RonB ... Handling real high hydration dough like ciabatta is just another learning curve. Try it a few times and it becomes routine.👍
  • Steve R.
    Club Member
    • Jul 2016
    • Elizabethtown, KY
    • Current line-up of cookers: Weber 26" kettle w/ SnS and BBQ Guru adapter; Weber Smokey Mountain 22" w/ Guru adapter.

The aroma is nearly as intoxicating as the bourbon I'm sipping while enjoying this pleasant night.

Comment

• badf00d
      Club Member
      • Mar 2016

• Cookers
        • Karubecue C-60 [aka KBQ]
        • Weber 22" Performer Kettle [Red gen1 with stainless steel]
        • Slow 'N Sear
        • Lodge Sportsman's Grill
        • Weber Genesis Silver-B [old gasser]

Sous Vide
        • ChefSteps Joule

Other Tools
        • VacMaster PRO380 vacuum sealer
        • VacMaster VP215 vacuum chamber
        • Thermapen Mk4
        • ThermoWorks Smoke
        • ThermaQ with smoke house and high temp air probes
        • IR gun
        • BBQ Dragon

My first brisket flat went on the Karubecue about 90 mins ago. Did a full packer last time. Beautiful day, sitting in the shade with hard cider and a book.

Comment

• CeramicChef
        CeramicChef commented
        Editing a comment
        Looks like goodness about to happen! Please show us the money shot on this deal!

• badf00d
        badf00d commented
        Editing a comment
        CeramicChef - will do. It has Oakridge BBQ Black Ops rub on it. Going the distance on this one without the hot tub because of the shorter cook time.
    • ecowper
      Founding Member
      • Jul 2014
      • Maple Valley, WA
      • Grill = Hasty-Bake Gourmet Dual Finish
        Smoke = Weber Smokey Mountain 22.5"

Thermometer = FireBoard FBX11 with 2 ambient and 6 meat probes
        Thermometer = Maverick ET732
        Thermometer = ThermoWorks Chef Alarm
        Thermapen Mk IV = Light blue
        Thermapen Classic = Grey
        PID Controller = Fireboard Drive + Auber 20 CFM Fan

Favorite cook = Tri-Tip for the grill, whole packer brisket for the smoker
        Favorite wine = a good Bordeaux with steak, a good Syrah with pork, or a nice bottle of Champagne or California sparkling wine
        Favorite beer = Sam Adams Boston Lager or Shiner Bock
        Favorite whisky = Lagavulin 16 year old single malt

Best Cookbooks - Meathead's "The Science of Great Barbecue and Grilling", Chris Lilly's "Big Bob Gibson's BBQ Book", Aaron Franklin's "Franklin BBQ"

Eric Cowperthwaite aka ecowper

Well, I've been doing a lot on the new WSM and I can't have my Hasty-Bake getting lonely. Side note ... We should have a section just for Hasty-Bakes, dang it. Anyhow, cooked a tri-tip last night and going to make lamb mechoui tonight. Here's the tri-tip cook. I took it up to medium to medium-well range cause then my wife will eat it. Still great.

Technique - dry brined with Montreal steak rub for 6 hours. Light one chimney of Kingsford Professional (lights fast, tons of heat). Load 4 small chunks of hickory into the firebox (didn't have any red oak this time) and dump the hot coals on top of the hickory. Let the grill temp come up to about 275 and then put the tri-tip on the indirect side. When the IT is where I want it based on my Thermapen, over to the direct side with the firebox cranked right to the top ... Probe said my grill temp was 845! Sear for about 3 minutes per side, bring it in and slice.
      Attached Files

Comment

• CeramicChef
        CeramicChef commented
        Editing a comment
        Beautiful Tri-Tip! Kudos.

• Steve R.
        Steve R. commented
        Editing a comment
        I just had a huge red oak cut down in my backyard and I kept a decent amount of it for firepit/smoker use. Let me know if you want some. A large USPS flat rate box full would get you several cooks.

• ecowper
        ecowper commented
        Editing a comment
        Steve R I would love 15-20 lbs. my family is from the southern end of the Central Valley in CA. Like Visalia and so forth. Red Oak is what you cook on ... I'll ping you privately?
    • Techmaster
      Club Member
      • Jul 2016
      • Iowa

My 2nd cook on the Rec Tec RT-680. I used their pellet blend. I also used a 6" Smoke tube with their blend of Hickory... It provided HEAVY smoke for about 2 hours. For a thermometer... an iGrill Mini linked to my iPhone 6. These are Costco Ribs (Baby Backs, pretty sure). Three slabs in the vacuum sealed bag. $22. I make my own rub, and applied liberally, then used the 3-2-1 method (3 hours at 225, 2 hours in the crutch at 225, and the last hour at 230, basted lightly with Sweet Baby Rays (yep... it's my favorite). I've had better ribs, buy only in Memphis at BB Kings... just saying. So... I'm pretty proud of them! They fed me, my wife, daughter, and 4 adult men... but all of us would have eaten more, so next time it's 6 racks!

Comment

• ecowper
        ecowper commented
        Editing a comment
        Those look outstanding. The Costco back ribs in the cryovac are the best .... Tons of meat on them, no silver skin, never had a bad package.

• RonB
        RonB commented
        Editing a comment
        Your ribs look super.

• fuzzydaddy
        fuzzydaddy commented
        Editing a comment
        Your ribs look delicious! Well done.
    • Ernest
      Founding Member
      • Jul 2014
      • Dallas, Texas
      • Pit Barrel Cooker AKA The Chicken Whisperer, WSM 14.5 AKA Smokey, WSM 22.5 AKA Big Worm, Weber Performer Platinum. KARUBECUE

Daughter's 9th birthday. She demanded a BBQ spread......

Baked in the KBQ...

Then brought out Sir SnS....

Comment

• David Parrish
        David Parrish commented
        Editing a comment
        Lucky! My 10 year old demands pizza and ice cream...

• ecowper
        ecowper commented
        Editing a comment
        @PitBoss you gotta work on that. My daughter wanted pulled pork ;-)

• richinlbrg
        richinlbrg commented
        Editing a comment
        BEAUTIFUL!! I knew that was your cook without even looking at the poster's name.

#neednewthesaurus !
    • Ernest
      Founding Member
      • Jul 2014
      • Dallas, Texas
      • Pit Barrel Cooker AKA The Chicken Whisperer, WSM 14.5 AKA Smokey, WSM 22.5 AKA Big Worm, Weber Performer Platinum. KARUBECUE

Oh

Comment

• fuzzydaddy
        fuzzydaddy commented
        Editing a comment
        You've gotta work on the smoke ring. Lol. Beautiful!

• Ernest
        Ernest commented
        Editing a comment
        fuzzydaddy HEHE! You reckon

• troymeister
        troymeister commented
        Editing a comment
        Oh Yeah.......!!!!....
    • MBMorgan
      Club Member
      • Sep 2015
      • Colorado
      • > Weber Genesis EP-330
        > Grilla Grills Original Grilla (OG) pellet smoker
        > Pit Barrel Cooker (gone to a new home)
        > WeberQ 2000 (on "loan" to a relative)
        > Old Smokey Electric (for chickens mostly - when it's too nasty out
        to fiddle with a more capable cooker)
        > Luhr Jensen Little Chief Electric - Top Loader circa 1990 (smoked fish & jerky)
        > Thermoworks Smoke
        > 3 Thermoworks Chef Alarms
        > Thermoworks Thermapen
        > Thermoworks IR-GUN-S
        > Anova sous vide circulator
        > Searzall torch
        > BBQ Guru Rib Ring

Originally posted by Ernest View Post
      Oh
      New Rule: Pics are no longer sufficient to provide proof that something happened! You must now provide actual samples! I'll PM you my address ... ...

Comment

• Ernest
        Ernest commented
        Editing a comment
        Hahaha
    • Steve R.
      Club Member
      • Jul 2016
      • Elizabethtown, KY

Aaand the result of my late night sitting by the smoker until I was confident enough with temperature control to go to bed:

Comment

• fuzzydaddy
        fuzzydaddy commented
        Editing a comment
        Beautiful, and the photo is outstanding!

• Mitchl
        Mitchl commented
        Editing a comment
        Verrry nice.

Announcement

Collapse

Meat-Up in Memphis 2021

SOLD OUT! Secure your spot on our waitlist now. First-come, first-served!
    Click here for details. (https://amazingribs.com/memphis)
    See more
    See less
    Working...
    X
    false
    ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","alpha","start"]
    false
    false
    {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
    Meat-Up in Memphis

Spotlight

These are not ads or paid placements. These Are Some Of Our Favorite Tools And Toys.

These are products we have tested, won our top awards, and are highly recommend. Click here to read how we test, about our medals, and what they mean.

Use our links when you buy things

Many merchants pay us a small referral fee when you click our links and purchase from them. On Amazon it works on everything from grills to diapers, they never tell us what you bought, it has zero impact on the price you pay, but has a major impact on our ability to improve this site! If you like AmazingRibs.com, please save this link and use it every time you go to Amazon

If you have a Weber Kettle, you need the Slow 'N' Sear

slow n sear
    The Slow 'N' Sear turns your grill into a first class smoker and also creates an extremely hot sear zone you can use to create steakhouse steaks.

Click here for our article on this breakthrough tool

The Good-One Is A Superb Grill And A Superb Smoker All In One

the good one grill
    The Good-One Open Range is dramatically different from a traditional offset smoker. By placing the heat source behind and under the smokebox instead of off to the side, Open Range produces even temperature from left to right, something almost impossible to achieve with a standard barrel shaped offset.

Click here to read our complete review

Griddle And Deep Fryer In One

Pit Barrel Cooker Smoker
    The flat top does the burgers and the fryer does the fries. Use the griddle for bacon, eggs, and home fries. Or pancakes, fajitas, grilled cheese, you name it. Why stink up the house deep frying and spatter all over? Do your fried chicken and calamari outside. Blackstone's Rangetop Combo With Deep Fryer does it all!

Click here to read our detailed review and to order

The Pit Barrel Cooker May Be Too Easy

Pit Barrel Cooker Smoker
    The PBC has a rabid cult following for good reason. It is absolutely positively without a doubt the best bargain on a smoker in the world. Period. This baby will cook circles around the cheap offset sideways barrel smokers because temperature control is so much easier.

Click here to read our detailed review and the raves from people who own them

The Undisputed Champion!

thermapen
    The Thermoworks Thermapen MK4 is considered by the pros, and our team, to be the single best instant read thermometer. The MK4 includes features that are common on high-end instruments: automatic backlight and rotating display. Don't accept cheap substitutes.

Click here to read our comprehensive Platinum Medal review

Grilla Pellet Smoker proves good things come in small packages

Grilla pellet smoker
    We always liked Grilla. The small 31.5" x 29.5" footprint makes it ideal for use where BBQ space is limited, as on a condo patio.

Click here for our review on this unique smoker

Delta by Nuke,
    Stylish and Affordable
    Gaucho Grill

Weber Genesis Grill
    Delta by Nuke burns wood or charcoal and comes with an adjustable height grill grate. This Argentinian grill will get your flame on!

Genesis II E-335
    A Versatile Gasser That Does It All!

Weber Genesis Grill
    Webers Genesis line has long been one of the most popular choices for gas grillers. The new Genesis II E-335 offers solid performance, a sear burner for sizzling heat and an excellent warranty.

GrillGrates Take Gas Grills To The Infrared Zone

grill grates
    GrillGrates(TM) amplify heat, prevent flareups, make flipping foods easier, kill hotspots, flip over to make a fine griddle, and can be easily rmoved from one grill to another. You can even throw wood chips, pellets, or sawdust between the rails and deliver a quick burst of smoke.

Click here for more about what makes these grates so special

Is This Superb Charcoal Grill A Kamado Killer?

PK 360 grill
    The PK-360, with 360 square inches of cooking space, this rust free, cast aluminum charcoal grill is durable and easy to use. Four-way venting means it's easy to set up for two zone cooking with more control than single vent Kamado grills. It is beautifully designed, completely portable, and much easier to set up for 2-zone cooking than any round kamado.

Click here to read our detailed review of the PK 360

Click here to order directly and get an exclusive AmazingRibs.com deal

Our Favorite Backyard Smoker

kareubequ bbq smoker

The amazing Karubecue is the most innovative smoker in the world. The quality of meat from this machine is astonishing. At its crux is a patented firebox that burns logs above the cooking chamber and sucks heat and extremely clean blue smoke into the thermostat controlled oven. It is our favorite smoker, period.

Click here for our review of this superb smoker

Masterbuilt MPS 340/G ThermoTemp XL Propane Smoker

masterbuilt gas smoker
    This is the first propane smoker with a thermostat, making this baby foolproof. Set ThermoTemp's dial from 175? to 350?F and the thermostat inside will adjust the burner just like an indoor kitchen oven. All you need to do is add wood to the tray above the burner to start smokin'.

Click here to read our detailed review

Digital Thermometers Are Your Most Valuable Tool And Here's A Great Buy!

maverick PT55 thermometer
    A good digital thermometer keeps you from serving dry overcooked food or dangerously undercooked food. They are much faster and much more accurate than dial thermometers. YOU NEED ONE!

Track Up To Six Temperatures At Once

Grilla pellet smoker
    FireBoard Drive 2 is an updated version of a well-received product that sets the standard for performance and functionality in the wireless food thermometer/thermostatic controller class.

Click here for our review of this unique device

The Cool Kettle With The Hinged Hood We Always Wanted

NK-22-Ck Grill
    Napoleon's NK22CK-C Charcoal Kettle Grill puts a few spins on the familiar kettle design. In fact, the hinged lid with a handle on the front, spins in a rotary motion 180 degrees. It's hard to beat a Weber kettle, but Napoleon holds its own and adds some unique features to make the NK22CK-C a viable alternative.

Click here for more about what makes this grill special

Finally, A Great Portable Pellet Smoker

Green Mountain Davey Crockett Grill
    Green Mountain's portable Davy Crockett Pellet Smoker is one mean tailgating and picnic machine. But it's also gaining popularity with people who want to add a small, set it and forget it pellet smoker to their backyard arsenal. And with their WiFi capabilities you can control and monitor Davy Crocket from your smart phone or laptop.

Click here to read our detailed review and to order