Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Show us what you're cooking - 3/6/2016 through 11/7/2020

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

By myself last night so I made a CAB top sirloin steak, cooked SV to 125F then torch-seared. Served with baked potato and butter, salad and a wonderful Opolo 2006 Reserve Zinfandel.

Click image for larger version

Name:	sirloin-potato.jpg
Views:	204
Size:	56.1 KB
ID:	271527

Comment

• fzxdoc
      fzxdoc commented
      Editing a comment
      Your own version Home Alone sounds good.

Name:	IMG_2758.JPG
Views:	198
Size:	305.4 KB
ID:	271587
    Getting ready - ribs on for 2 hours. Don't tell Meathead, but I did pre-sear the tri-tips on the Santa Maria before putting them in to smoke. Moving along nice and slow.

Comment

• CaptainMike
      CaptainMike commented
      Editing a comment
      If I leave now I could be there by game time! I'll bring wine.

• fuzzydaddy
      fuzzydaddy commented
      Editing a comment
      Very nice!

Name:	IMG_2761.JPG
Views:	177
Size:	264.9 KB
ID:	271685Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2760.JPG
Size:	313.8 KB
ID:	271686Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2759.JPG
Views:	169
Size:	237.9 KB
ID:	271687
    Ended up using three cookers - wings, tri-tip and ribs. Hungry folks to feed. See you all after the game.

Comment

Wings! Clockwise from top left: Private Selection Thai Chili sauce, Weber KC bbq rub, S & G, and Frank's RedHot wing sauce.

Name:	20170205_180921.jpg
Size:	345.9 KB
ID:	271705 Had a Super Bowl party planned, but one of the younguns came down with the flu. Already had the wings bought, so I went ahead and smoked/grilled them up on the Weber.

Comment

• fuzzydaddy
        fuzzydaddy commented
        Editing a comment
        Your wings look great! Sorry about the one with the flu. Are you going to try and eat them all :-) ?

• bbqoaf
        bbqoaf commented
        Editing a comment
        Wings are amazing, yours look great!

Well, he's feeling well enough to chow down, just didn't want to inflict a bunch of guests with those germs. The Thai chili is running away with the popular vote right now and I have to agree.

Comment

Wife wanted something simple and wanted elbow macaroni, so shrimp, noodles and peas, sauteed in olive oil with just salt and pepper. She was happy.Wife wanted something simple and wanted elbow macaroni, so shrimp, noodles and peas, sauteed in olive oil with just salt and pepper. She was happy.

Name:	shrimp-peas-mac.jpg
Views:	192
Size:	29.4 KB
ID:	271743

Comment

Ribs and wings a la David Parrish (https://pitmaster.amazingribs.com/fo...ous-vide-style). All cooked with the SnS (wings were cooked SV first though)...

Name:	20170205_200839.jpg
Views:	206
Size:	406.5 KB
ID:	271762

Name:	20170205_200637.jpg
Views:	197
Size:	328.6 KB
ID:	271765

Name:	20170205_200823.jpg
Views:	185
Size:	356.3 KB
ID:	271761

​​​​​​ Click image for larger version

Name:	20170205_200729.jpg
Views:	178
Size:	193.1 KB
ID:	271759

Name:	20170205_200744.jpg
Views:	182
Size:	149.4 KB
ID:	271760

Name:	20170205_200658.jpg
Views:	187
Size:	272.9 KB
ID:	271763

Name:	20170205_200613.jpg
Views:	191
Size:	236.8 KB
ID:	271764

Comment

• Steve R.
            Steve R. commented
            Editing a comment
            That's about as spectacular as the game I just watched!

• David Parrish
            David Parrish commented
            Editing a comment
            What'd you think of the wings?

• Elton's BBQ
            Elton's BBQ commented
            Editing a comment
            Looks really god! And nice photos aswell..

We don't hear enough about beef clods, these things are delicious. Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	170
Size:	265.8 KB
ID:	271802Click image for larger version

Views:	197
Size:	344.5 KB
ID:	271803Click image for larger version

Size:	380.3 KB
ID:	271804

Comment

• EdF
            EdF commented
            Editing a comment
            How's the flavor compared to brisket?

Bit of rain tonight, so thought I'd finally try Food Lab's recipe for Beer Cooler Sous Vide with a nice 1.8 lb rib-eye.
          Filled the cooler with a couple of gallons of water heated to 140 F. Rubbed the steak with salt and pepper and put
          it into a zip-lock freezer bag. Submerged to squeeze out the air.

Name:	IMG_20170205_173840386.jpg
Views:	218
Size:	105.8 KB
ID:	271818

Cooked for about two hours. Seared in a hot cast iron skillet with a bit of sunflower oil and butter.
          Pulled out the steak and threw in a sliced shallot, smashed garlic and a few sprigs of thyme to make
          a quick sauce. Sliced the steak and served with broccolini and my wife's freshly made rosemary and
          shallot focaccia.

Wow! Perfect medium rare, extremely tender and juicy. Everything everyone is saying is true! My wife
          claimed it was the best steak she's ever eaten (that's something after 37 years of cooking for her!).
          Can't wait to be able try again and sear it over a wood fire on the Buckaroo grill.

Name:	IMG_20170205_200342866.jpg
Views:	187
Size:	315.1 KB
ID:	271819

Name:	IMG_20170205_200704314.jpg
Views:	168
Size:	291.7 KB
ID:	271820

Comment

• EdF
            EdF commented
            Editing a comment
            Looks awesome - keep an eye out for the $99 Anova when it's on sale!

Had a turkey in the freezer from the holidays. Decided to try my first spatchcock turkey. Was very pleased and will do them this way going forward. Injected with Tony Chachere's Creole Butter and used Meatheads Simon and Garfunkel rub. Click image for larger version

Name:	20170205_153236.jpg
Views:	201
Size:	238.8 KB
ID:	271822Click image for larger version

Name:	20170205_153937.jpg
Views:	173
Size:	220.5 KB
ID:	271826Click image for larger version

Name:	20170205_154011.jpg
Views:	182
Size:	222.2 KB
ID:	271825Click image for larger version

Name:	20170205_174253.jpg
Views:	161
Size:	230.6 KB
ID:	271823Click image for larger version

Name:	20170205_180308.jpg
Size:	218.7 KB
ID:	271824

Comment

• CaptainMike
            CaptainMike commented
            Editing a comment
            I like how you put your grill in your driveway for the whole neighborhood to salivate over. Cruel man!

• OneEyedJack
            OneEyedJack commented
            Editing a comment
            I'm in the process of turning the carcass and drum stick/thigh into turkey soup. Essentially using MH's "gravy" recipe that I will take a step further by sautéing carrots, celery and onions before adding de-fatted, strained broth.

• Mr. Bones
            Mr. Bones commented
            Editing a comment
            I like how you put your grill in your driveway for the whole neighborhood to salivate over. Cruel man!
            I had five cookers goin' in th' driveway, Super Sunday! Neighbors, dogs, cats, birds, an my local GHO 'jus' happened by'... ;-)
            Guess I'm cruel, too...

David Parrish I thought they were pretty good for grilled wings. It's tough to match fried wings, but you can't beat the ease of Sous and Sear, especially when you've got ribs cooking too. I just used frank's, balsamic, and butter for the sauce and it was good but it made the wings soggy. I left some wings unsauced and they were good. Had a little crisp to them.

Comment

We had artichoke dip per Weber, smoked on the grill, blackened chicken wings, reverse seared tri tip marinated in a whisky sauce, smoked garlic roasted red potatoes. Go Pats
            Attached Files

Comment

Smoked some bacon wrap meatballs for the first time on Super Bowl Sunday that turn out to be a big hit... Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_0001.2 (2).jpg
Views:	168
Size:	89.8 KB
ID:	271910Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_0003.1 (1).jpg
Views:	162
Size:	115.9 KB
ID:	271911

Comment

• OneEyedJack
                OneEyedJack commented
                Editing a comment
                Stolen!

• OneEyedJack
                OneEyedJack commented
                Editing a comment
                Gotta know if the meatballs were raw or pre-cooked before the bacon wrap and smoke?

• DWCowles
                DWCowles commented
                Editing a comment
                pre-cooked

Prepared "Wings of Death" for a Super Bowl snack. I got the recipe (follows) from a now defunct website that was pretty cool - Three Guys With Nothing Better To Do. These guys were in the San Diego area and posted all kinds of neat things like cooking whole hogs. If you like spicy, you'll love these!

Here's what they look like after being sauced:
              Click image for larger version  Name:	Wings.JPG Views:	1 Size:	491.0 KB ID:	271967

Recipe: Wings of Death

Marinade, for about 3 - 4 hours, whole wings in equal parts Tabasco and soy sauce, plus some olive oil. Grill for about 30 to 45 minutes until the drumettes and wings can easily be pulled apart.

Sauce:

4 TBS butter
              3 TBS honey
              10 TBS Tabasco or hot sauce
              3 jalapeno peppers minced
              2 TBS spicy mustard
              2 TBS tomato paste
              1 tsp soy sauce

Heat sauce until bubbling - should be fairly thick. Toss cooked wings with sauce and serve.

Notes:
              1. I removed and discarded the wings tips. Tips could be used for stock.
              2. For 1 dozen wings (about 2 pounds) I used 10 oz. Tabasco, 10 oz. soy sauce and 2 oz. olive oil for marinade in a gallon Zip Lock bag.
              3. Cooked on Weber with SnS two zone set up with all vents open - no water
              4. Used 3/4 chimney of pre-lit KBB with about a golf ball size of cherry wood for smoke
              5. Beer is an obvious beverage choice, however you will be surprised how well a dry, sparkling wine cuts the heat
              6. Don't rub your eyes or take a leak without first thoroughly washing your hands
              Last edited by OneEyedJack; February 6, 2017, 05:10 PM.

Comment

EdF
              1. About 80% of the clod produced nice sliced beef similar to brisket flat with less of a crumbly texture. It was more like conventional roast beef, just taken to 203 rather than cooked to medium rare. Still nice and flavourful and not too dry. Makes great sandwiches for sure. I think next time I'd slice this part in half to get a higher bark/smoke flavour to meat ratio as some of the interior slices were so wide that you missed bark altogether.

2. The 20% or so of the roast that is chuck comes out somewhere between a pulled chuck roast and brisket point. Nice and crumbly but still sliceable, it was outstanding.

Overal, I'd say I prefer brisket point to the clod chuck and sliced clod to sliced flat, although they are both delicious for sure.

The other advantage is cost. There was some fat to trim on the clod, but not nearly as much as with a brisket so I think edible meat/$ is significantly higher for a clod.

Comment

• EdF
                EdF commented
                Editing a comment
                Very nice bbqoaf . Thanks!

Announcement

Collapse
            No announcement yet.
            Working...
            X
            false
            ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
            false
            false
            {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
            Yes
            ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
            /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here