Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Show Us Your Cast Iron Pieces !!!

Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Richard P I just looked up the pattern number in my Book of Griswold and Wagner. It says they were cast from 1924-1970.
    The pattern number "1109" is telling as well. The Griddles were numbered in a 1100 series. With the last number indicating the size of the griddle. So in this case the 1109 means this is #9 Griddle.

That Gem pan is jus that! A real gem. The book says it was cast in the 1920's and is valued at around $75 -$100. (in perfect condition) Give it the bath and see what kind of condition you come up with. It will clean up beautifully.

Great finds!

Comment

• Richard P
      Richard P commented
      Editing a comment
      Spinaker Thanks for the information. Both were in the 20 to 35 dollar range. Look forward to making corn bread muffins in the Gem pan.

• Spinaker
      Spinaker commented
      Editing a comment
      You bet Richard. I always love looking this stuff up.

Just picked up the Larbee puck today. This is made by Crisbee. instead of the normal Crisbee blend of beeswax and other natural oils, this one is made with leaf lard and beeswax. I want to see if i get a better layer of seasoning with this blend or not. I like the idea of using lard, like the old days, but we will see how it preforms.
    Click image for larger version

Name:	Larbee Puck.JPG
Views:	230
Size:	45.6 KB
ID:	386843Click image for larger version

Name:	Larbee Puck 2.JPG
Views:	214
Size:	28.0 KB
ID:	386842

Comment

• GregS
      GregS commented
      Editing a comment
      I hadn't heard of this before. Sounds like a great product.

• Spinaker
      Spinaker commented
      Editing a comment
      It is. They also have scented pucks so your house smell like apple pie when your seasoning. GregS

• Attjack
      Attjack commented
      Editing a comment
      Spinaker after I use a pan I scrape if needed, then scrub with the rough side of a sponge, and rinse. Then it goes on the stove on high. I add somene oil spread it around, let it just begin to smoke, then remove from the heat and wipe any excess oil off. Am I doing it right?

Just found this thread, as if I need more MCS temptation in my life. Who was it that said, "I can resist anything but temptation"?

Comment

• Spinaker
      Spinaker commented
      Editing a comment
      .....and we all know what that leads too.

Spinaker
    This news just in: local collector had his house floor collapse today from the weight of all of his cast iron. No one was home at the time, so there were no injuries. Film at 11. 😂😂😜😜

Comment

• Spinaker
      Spinaker commented
      Editing a comment
      Its gonna happen some day.

Here are my two go-to pans. My standard Lodge 10”, and
    my Wagner 1891 8”. It even has seasoning instructions stamped on the back!👍
    Attached Files

Comment

• Spinaker
      Spinaker commented
      Editing a comment
      Great pans! Thanks for sharing. I own a few Wagners too. I love cooking with them.

• Thunder77
      Thunder77 commented
      Editing a comment
      My brother gave me that Wagner. It's my favorite for grilled cheese sammies, and eggs.

• Mudkat
      Mudkat commented
      Editing a comment
      Cool pans Thunder77! They would be great for cornbread too if you had a cover. They crisp up the bottom and the sides something fierce!

Over the past week, I stripped the seasoning/rust my Lodge Sportman's Grill. Each piece of the Hibachi went through electrolysis treatment. The grate really needed some love, so I gave that 24 hours in the solution. This is the easiest way to remove rust, carbon and seasoning from a piece with a lot of nooks and crannies. After it was done soaking in lightning, I took each piece out, rinsed them and gave them a light scrub. Finally drying them as well as I could. After drying them, I placed each piece into a 200 F oven for about 20 minutes. This ensured that the pieces were totally dry before I apply the first layer of Flax oil.

I used Flax Oil for the first three rounds of seasoning, then I switched to Crisbees Larbee Puck. Which is made from simple leaf lard and nothing else. I like the black color it puts on the iron. I prefer it more than the bronze color that is characteristic of seasoning with Flax Oil.

Name:	Hibachi Full.JPG
Views:	228
Size:	196.6 KB
ID:	399783Click image for larger version

Name:	Hibacho Top.JPG
Views:	228
Size:	188.7 KB
ID:	399784

Comment

• Craigar
      Craigar commented
      Editing a comment
      The CI whisperererer is at it again. Looks great!!!

• Spinaker
      Spinaker commented
      Editing a comment
      Thanks Craigar! Craigar

• Mr. Bones
      Mr. Bones commented
      Editing a comment
      Still goin' ~500° fer each round of flax seasonin', brother?
      Any different with th' Crispbee?
      Always learnin', 'til I dirtnap, one day...
      Still usin' th' kamado, as well?

What is crispbees larbee puck?? And where can I get it?? Does it make that big of a difference??

Comment

• Spinaker
      Spinaker commented
      Editing a comment
      See above^^^^^^

Use a little of that leaf lard to fry eggs in. It will kind of amaze you the pure egg flavor it will give you. Just a film on the bottom of your cast iron pan. REALLY good stuff. (I sent you a PM)
    My wife uses it in place of oil now days. It is some nice stuff. NO taste to it--you just get the flavor of the food you are frying. Eggs are especially good using it.

Comment

• EdF
      EdF commented
      Editing a comment
      Just like Grandma and Grandpa used to do!

I hope the floor under the shelving is reinforced. JK. Great collection!

Comment

• Spinaker
      Spinaker commented
      Editing a comment
      It has survived so far. But it gets heavier all the time!

Just got the Crisbee Larbee puck. Looking forward to "glow" on my pans!

Comment

• Spinaker
      Spinaker commented
      Editing a comment
      You will be happy with it.

• Spinaker
      Spinaker commented
      Editing a comment
      I used to use the normal, scented pucks. I think the leaf lard works better.

Got this 10.5 Double Loop Lodge on clearance at Wegmans. About half off the manufacturer price, $1 less than Walmart.

Here's the first thing to hit the pan. Next thing is the Larbee Puck!

Name:	20171021_134348.jpg
Views:	203
Size:	161.8 KB
ID:	400432

I'm gonna love this little guy. No long handles for kettle cooks!

Comment

• Mudkat
      Mudkat commented
      Editing a comment
      I really wanted to create and oven type situation so I went with the WSM lid. I could also put a CI lid on the pan with a few coals, put it on the SJ, then the WSM lid on top of that to firm up the top crust. One thing worth noting, the WSM lid sits on top of the kettle rim. It does not seal it per se.

• Mudkat
      Mudkat commented
      Editing a comment
      Mr. Bones. Okay. So that didn't take long. The Smokey Joe lid hits the handles of the skillet so it's a no go on it sealing with the kettle. The WSM worked pretty good though.
      Last edited by Mudkat; October 24, 2017, 01:07 PM.

• kmhfive
      kmhfive commented
      Editing a comment
      Nice setup!

Here is my artsy, I am sure Jon Solberg will say "Hipster", picture of my Field Skillet. But I couldn't resist with that gorgeous color in the background.

She is starting to look like a real, working piece of Cast Iron.

Name:	Field Skillet.JPG
Views:	211
Size:	254.9 KB
ID:	400800

Comment

• Spinaker
      Spinaker commented
      Editing a comment
      Thanks Jon! It is seasoning up nice. Jon Solberg

• Mudkat
      Mudkat commented
      Editing a comment
      Looking at this thing again. Really cool pot/pan. I like the depth of it. And it has that distinct ridge on the bottom. How many quart is that? Do they have covers for them? Spinaker?

• Spinaker
      Spinaker commented
      Editing a comment
      Mudkat I am not sure how many quarts it would hold. But it is the same size as a Lodge SK8 or 10.25 inch. They do not offer lids, but Lodge sells lids that would fit the skillet. They are very smooth right out of the box. They are very nice skillets.

Great shot!

Comment

• Spinaker
      Spinaker commented
      Editing a comment
      Thanks

I forgot to add these pictures in my other post: This is my new 10” Field Skillet. It looks even better now, after cooking on it. I gave it two seasoning sessions with grapeseed oil.

Sorry about the dirty stove in the background.
    Attached Files
    Last edited by Thunder77; October 24, 2017, 07:37 PM.

Comment

• Mudkat
      Mudkat commented
      Editing a comment
      Something about these field pans got me intrigued. Hope to see more cooks in these Thunder77 !

• Thunder77
      Thunder77 commented
      Editing a comment
      Mudkat, I like the Field skillet a lot. It was machined smooth, and pre-seasoned at the factory. It is also lightweight. The sides are much thinner than a Lodge of comparable size. They are also quite pricey. This one was $100.

• Mudkat
      Mudkat commented
      Editing a comment
      Yeah a little pricey. I may have to look for a deal somewhere.

Didn’t get a chance to take a pic of my Field Company pan but I did just receive these little beauties. Click image for larger version

Name:	B968ED59-A9C8-4811-970D-23FE4B212A6B.jpeg
Views:	187
Size:	128.3 KB
ID:	401067

Comment

• Spinaker
      Spinaker commented
      Editing a comment
      Very nice pick up!

• Mudkat
      Mudkat commented
      Editing a comment
      Sooo nice! You'll have to brand a steak on one of those babies!

• Thunder77
      Thunder77 commented
      Editing a comment
      Suhweeeeeeeet!!!

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
Working...
X
false
["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
false
false
{"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
Yes
["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
/forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here