Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Show Us Your Cast Iron Pieces !!!

Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Anyone able to identify these markings on this pan?
    Attached Files

Comment

• Mr. Bones
      Mr. Bones commented
      Editing a comment
      Gate mark would likely indicate latter 19th,early 20th Century mfg.

I ain't got my reference books close to hand, due to circumstances, but likely Spinaker can provide some guidance, here

• barelfly
      barelfly commented
      Editing a comment
      Thanks Mr. Bones for the info. It is my mom’s CI pan, and she wasn’t sure of the maker as well, so thought to go here with it.

This is a piece I picked up last year a bit before Thanksgiving. I've no idea who the manufacturer is, as there's no markings of any kind except for the two little indentations on the underside of the left handle. Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4098.JPG
Views:	190
Size:	91.1 KB
ID:	614767

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4097.JPG
Views:	201
Size:	58.9 KB
ID:	614768

Name:	IMG_4099.JPG
Views:	213
Size:	93.3 KB
ID:	614769

It's honestly in rougher shape than these pictures make it look, and I've cleaned and re-seasoned it twice. Might give it another go this weekend if I can get it cleaned up. If anyone has any info on Who, When, or What this is I'd be interested.

Comment

• Mr. Bones
      Mr. Bones commented
      Editing a comment
      That is indeed unique, in my experience...

Count me among th Intrigued, like yerself, an enlighten me, when ya find th history on this CI treasure...

• Mr. Bones
      Mr. Bones commented
      Editing a comment
      Meant to post this, fer a general reference place one might start, seekin to identify ol CI treasures.
      It is brief, but very useful, in my eyes. Many other great sources can be readily found, both on youtube, an elsewhere.
      mnavarre at jus past 27:30, dude is pullin yer exack muffin pan outta elctro-bath...
      Still ain't found who what where when, but we will, between us all!

Ok. So what else to do on this snowy day......season the new CI in the oven. Did a 4 step process, increased heat each time after rubbing with oil. They look pretty good, need to cook in them now and build up this seasoning. Photo attached of my pieces. Including the press, enameled LE crueset pan and enameled Lodge Dutch oven.

I may need to strip one of the new ones. I fried bacon in it and it left some residue that I haven’t been able to get off. May need to scrub more aggressively and just reseason.

But this is is a dangerous hobby to start reading about. I’ve seen some cool pieces at the thrift shops but rusty. Then I stumble on the e-bath process........

Attached Files

Comment

• Mr. Bones
      Mr. Bones commented
      Editing a comment
      Awesome Family pic, Brother!
      Dangerous Hobby? Indeed!

Just received my 8” Smithey Xmas present. Looking forward to applying one or two more coats of seasoning and then building it up tomorrow with regular cooking.
    I could have gotten the 8” Finex to match my 12” but I really liked the shape and sides of this Smithey for omelettes.
    Attached Files

Comment

• Spinaker
      Spinaker commented
      Editing a comment
      Great to hear you are liking it. I think that is gonna be my next pan. I think you will like the eggs with lard. It is a tasty treat!

• Sfdrew28
      Sfdrew28 commented
      Editing a comment
      I've been using the pan a lot with avocado oil and butter to cook things. it is finally coming in to its own. I made two omelettes in a row with just a bit a butter that slid right out of the pan.

• Spinaker
      Spinaker commented
      Editing a comment
      Nice! It sound like things are coming along! Sfdrew28

Not exactly cast, but still iron.

Name:	9307D77E-353B-4597-A10D-52E9F1C2B77C.jpeg
Views:	180
Size:	192.8 KB
ID:	632864

Comment

• FireMan
      FireMan commented
      Editing a comment
      Whoa!

• Spinaker
      Spinaker commented
      Editing a comment
      Nice Teknics!!! They are great pans. I don't have this one though. That will be great on the grill.

They say go big or go home.....this showed up today. 17” Lodge double handle.

Hmmmmm. Now what do I do with it! Thinking spatchcocked chicken roasted on root veg.

But higger question, should I leave seasoning as is or sand down and build my own. I’m still trying to determine if the 12” I did is working as well as it should with the sanding process. I think it is but perhaps the seasoning hasn’t built up quite enough for a super sick non stick surface.

Thoughts??
    Attached Files

Comment

• Spinaker
      Spinaker commented
      Editing a comment
      You can sand it down if you would like. But I find that Lodges just need a little more time. It is part of their charm. They will get there though. And even faster, I find, when you are cooking on the grill. (I have kinda gone away from sanding any down.)

• barelfly
      barelfly commented
      Editing a comment
      Thanks for comments Mr. Bones Polarbear777 and Spinaker

I decided against sanding to start. I’m in process of the initial seasoning, using the labprbee puck. I’ve gone through three rounds, so I think it will be ready for a roast tonight with veg and a chicken.

The surface is pretty gritty, but I’ll cook it and see how it runs from there.

Thanks again guys!

• Spinaker
      Spinaker commented
      Editing a comment
      You bet. Don;t be afraid to be generous with the oil/fat on these cooks. It will only help the seasoning process and keep things from sticking. I have found that cooking spray inhibits the seasoning process. Not sure why at this point, but that is what I am finding. Pans that I am not routinely using PAM on and using more lard/tallow or oil are seasoning up faster......I need to look into that more though. barelfly

I just got a notice from Stargazer. They have shipped my No. 12 Skillet! It should be here on Monday! Can't wait to get this new skillet. I have been waiting for months! I will post it when it comes in. You know I love a good Skillet unboxing!

Comment

• Mr. Bones
      Mr. Bones commented
      Editing a comment
      WooHoo!!!!
      Cain't wait to see it, Brother!

• Polarbear777
      Polarbear777 commented
      Editing a comment
      The sg10 has been put away. The 12 now is the main workhorse for most things. I seem to always need a 12 no matter what I’m doing.

• Spinaker
      Spinaker commented
      Editing a comment
      I love a good No. 12 @Polarbear77

Anyone have this Lodge Camp Dutch Oven stack? I have the 8" 2 quart that we have owned for about 25 years; made many a great meal in it, both in fire, or with charcoal. You guys and your talk about cast iron caused MCS GAS, so I found a 10" 4 quart deal on eBay; says only used a couple of times and includes carrying bag and lid lifter - bought it.
    I highly recommend this Camp Dutch Oven if anyone needs one. I won't complete my stack - don't need anything larger, though that 6" 1 quart is interesting; 1 seller has it on Amazon at $450; eBay for $375 to $500; claim is that the 1 quart is discontinued. Anyone have that 1 quart?

Name:	Lodge Stack.jpg
Views:	169
Size:	28.4 KB
ID:	637951

Comment

• Rlasky
      Rlasky commented
      Editing a comment
      Wow, I have my own camp oven tower, and and even have the tiny 1qt. I had no idea they were so sought after. It's not super practical, but still very cool. The only camp oven I'm missing from my tower is the 14" 8qt camp oven they discontinued that I can't bring myself to pay the current asking prices for. I think I bought the 1qt new for around $20 on Amazon about 5 years ago

• treesmacker
      treesmacker commented
      Editing a comment
      Rlasky maybe this place has the 14" 8 qt for about $95...
      A Camp Dutch Oven sports two features that make it unique. One -- three legs which permit it to sit over hot coals. This three leg design allows your

It would be a shame not to finish that stack.

• Rlasky
      Rlasky commented
      Editing a comment
      I have it bookmarked! I am about to move and adding more iron to the haul isn't in the cards. It has always bothered me for being incomplete though. And I did just order the fish pan...

The SG 12” with some "wrought" friends.
    Click image for larger version  Name:	C5725C39-D1B2-4A66-BE1F-1A2AD2DD53B1.jpeg Views:	1 Size:	2.18 MB ID:	638361

By the way, the wrought ones are pretty much glass smooth, but the 12” SG has a "satin" finish. It’s smooth to the touch but holds seasoning really easily. You can see the difference in the pic. I’d say SG has the finish thing figured out.
    Last edited by Polarbear777; February 19, 2019, 09:41 PM.

Comment

• Spinaker
      Spinaker commented
      Editing a comment
      Gorgeous man! Those really look great!

• Polarbear777
      Polarbear777 commented
      Editing a comment
      Given the price point, I’d say nothing comes as close to perfection as that Stargazer 12”. Their satin finish is dead on.

I bought 3 vintage cast iron pieces at a garage sale. Pretty crappy condition and am trying to figure out how to restore them. I'll post pics but I'm wondering if sanding is necessary?

The image comes from the book "Secrets of the butcher." Being that oil conducts heat very well does a rough textured Lodge skillet (or used vintage skillet) really need to be sanded down? I guess if your goal is to cook eggs maybe but otherwise???

Name:	20190220_134024.jpg
Views:	157
Size:	135.5 KB
ID:	638778

Comment

Spinaker I saw this on sale here and I’m pretty sure you’ve been dying to get your hands on this masterpiece. 😂
    Attached Files

Comment

• Spinaker
      Spinaker commented
      Editing a comment
      Hahahahaha

Today I finally went back and read through "most" of this thread. I’m like how did he (Spinaker) get that huge collection and then it hit me, he’s single!!! That’s a fantastic collection. How much of it do you actually use? Thanks for sharing.

Comment

• Spinaker
      Spinaker commented
      Editing a comment
      I use about 10 of the pans, skillets and griddles.

Spinaker Heck of a collection you have. Gorgeous.

Comment

• Spinaker
      Spinaker commented
      Editing a comment
      thanks!!!

The only cast iron I have is a 5- quart double dutch oven with skillet cover and a broil King reversible griddle . I sure like what Spinaker has for a collection ,
    must of taken awhile to gather .

Comment

• Spinaker
      Spinaker commented
      Editing a comment
      thanks! It is still growing!!

The Lodge Fish Pan is on the way!!!!! Can't wait! Get yours now! They are 20% as an introductory price.

Comment

• Rlasky
      Rlasky commented
      Editing a comment
      Ordered mine today. I didn't look at the dimensions until after I placed the order and can't believe how big it is

• Spinaker
      Spinaker commented
      Editing a comment
      Yeah it should fit right on the Lodger Sportsman's Grill Rlasky

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
Working...
X
false
["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
false
false
{"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
Yes
["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
/forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here