Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Show Us Your Cast Iron Pieces !!!

Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Well, this was quite a read-through. And I had no idea there were so many US CI sources.

I've only got a handful of CI, but I do have one pretty good example of each kind needed for a well-equipped kitchen. Most of it is Lodge, mostly sourced from BassPro. I do check CL for CI ~ monthly, so I've got a few Griswold pieces too. Luckily the St Louis market is very soft on CI and CL has lots of choices at really low price points, even Griswold and Wagner.

I have storage envy. I would love to have room in my kitchen for my wares to be on visible shelves - maybe the next house.

I kind'of have a rule that will make you cringe. I don't use my US CI outside the kitchen, I love it too much. That means that my fishing skillet used on campfires is from China, as is my Camp Chef self-standing Dutch oven.

Comment

• Spinaker
      Spinaker commented
      Editing a comment
      American iron belongs outside, almost more than it does inside. 😎🇺🇸

• Spinaker
      Spinaker commented
      Editing a comment
      There are more and more of them popping up. Marquette almost lost me when they were looking to China, but there was enough out cry that they decided to make a line of pans in the US. Proof that people are willing to pay for quality, US-made products.

• JGo37
      JGo37 commented
      Editing a comment
      So, I do agree with the outside perspective. Just hesitant. I use it ALOT.

I just picked up a couple of new (old) ones at the thrift store the other day. I don't know if $20 each is a good deal, but if it isn't... it's going to a good cause. I'm waiting for the weather to cool off to restore em - maybe I'll find a few more before then.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Wagner 7E Front.jpg
Views:	192
Size:	110.8 KB
ID:	545458

Name:	Wagner 7E Back.jpg
Views:	235
Size:	116.6 KB
ID:	545459 ​​​​​​​

Name:	Griswold 962 Front.jpg
Views:	214
Size:	122.6 KB
ID:	545457 ​​​​​​​

​​​​​​​Click image for larger version

Name:	Griswold 962 Back.jpg
Views:	207
Size:	124.8 KB
ID:	545456 ​​​​​​​

Comment

• Spinaker
      Spinaker commented
      Editing a comment
      Nice pick ups!!!

• JGo37
      JGo37 commented
      Editing a comment
      Definitely worthwhile, and as said, the Wagner is a true find. Checkout CastIronCollector.com for anything you need.

• Mudkat
      Mudkat commented
      Editing a comment
      Cool stuff!

Thanks guys! Coming from a true hillbilly family, I grew up with cast iron, so for me - it's comfort cookware. That said, I don't know scratch about whats good and what isn't. This thread is an inspiration! I appreciate all the info! 😊

Comment

• Mr. Bones
      Mr. Bones commented
      Editing a comment
      Ya must be a recovered hillbilly, on accounta I've never seen ya at any of th meetins!
      BBQ_Steve-O

• BBQ_Steve-O
      BBQ_Steve-O commented
      Editing a comment
      Mr. Bones Ya probley just didn't see me cause I was standin in front of the curtains Ma made, wearin the suit of clothes she made me outta the same material as the curtains! 👕

Name:	579D5FC5-C80B-4736-9610-A8B81FBC48BE.jpeg
Views:	205
Size:	119.6 KB
ID:	547515Click image for larger version

Name:	6EE4261D-1FFA-4630-8B87-92B8F59F2A3A.jpeg
Views:	218
Size:	128.7 KB
ID:	547514

Picked up up a skillet at a farmers market. Canadian made by Smart. Guy who sold it to me said Smart used to sell cask iron cook stoves, and if you bought one of their stoves, the skillet came in a drawer.

Comment

• Mr. Bones
      Mr. Bones commented
      Editing a comment
      That looks like a really cool oldie, nice snag, brother!

• Spinaker
      Spinaker commented
      Editing a comment
      Great find!

Staub Dutch Oven, made in France... Click image for larger version

Name:	20180731_173851.jpg
Views:	198
Size:	103.4 KB
ID:	547523Click image for larger version

Name:	20180731_173901.jpg
Size:	123.4 KB
ID:	547524

Comment

• Mr. Bones
      Mr. Bones commented
      Editing a comment
      Very nice DO, Brother!

WOW!!

Just stumbled onto this CI Gold while searching for more of Meathead’s Dutch oven recipes. First started Dutch oven cooking and collecting over twenty years ago when my mom gave me a couple of Lodges. I’ve accumulated a few more pieces over the years but have never seasoned them well. Found Crispee pucks recently and now finally have an acceptable season on a pan inherited from my grandmother and now will sand, strip and season the whole lot.

This thread and the accompanying one about E-baths has been an inspiration and given me the confidence to start using this great cookware for its intended purpose. Thanks to Spinaker and others for sharing your knowledge!

One question: How many times do you season before calling it ready to use?

Comment

• Mudkat
      Mudkat commented
      Editing a comment
      If you have time we would like like to see some pics Beefmeister

• Spinaker
      Spinaker commented
      Editing a comment
      Yeah! let us see that dutch oven! We would love to see it!

• Beefmeister
      Beefmeister commented
      Editing a comment
      Wilco. Gotta couple of projects ahead of that one though.

Originally posted by Beefmeister View Post
    WOW!!

Just stumbled onto this CI Gold while searching for more of Meathead’s Dutch oven recipes.

One question: How many times do you season before calling it ready to use?

My pleasure sir! I am glad that you are enjoying the wonderful world of cast iron! You can usually start cooking after about 3 rounds of manual seasoning. Don't be afraid to use PAM or be very liberal with cooking oil to prevent sticking. As you know, it takes time for seasoning to take, especially after stripping the pan down to bare iron. Take it slow, and make sure to season with Crisbees after each use and you will be well on your way! Let me know if you have any other questions.

Comment

Whaddya think EdF, JCBBQ, should we get Spinaker this? 😁

Name:	iron-throne-toilet-300x250.jpg
Views:	185
Size:	21.6 KB
ID:	580666

Comment

• EdF
        EdF commented
        Editing a comment
        Lol!

• Spinaker
        Spinaker commented
        Editing a comment
        Yes!!!!!!!! Now we are talking! Complete with TP? Oh, hell yeah.

• Mudkat
        Mudkat commented
        Editing a comment
        You'll never have to leave your throne!

wow, that's awesome! Do you like any of the modern high quality brands , like Butter Pat, Field etc?

Comment

Originally posted by Jon Liebers View Post
        wow, that's awesome! Do you like any of the modern high quality brands , like Butter Pat, Field etc?
        Yeah, I own quite a few. Marquette, Field, Finex, Smithey, Stargazer etc. I love them all, but it all comes down to how much you want to spend and what you are looking for in a pan. They all have their strengths and weaknesses. (Price being one of them.)

Are you looking at any in particular?

Comment

• Jon Liebers
          Jon Liebers commented
          Editing a comment
          I've been wanting a pan to use outdoors for everything from fried chicken to cornbread. I've been considering the Field (but cant decide on size), Butter Pat, Smithey . Took off the stargazer as I think handle too long to fit in a large BGE.

There are a few options that I would consider. First, The Field Skillet is a great skillet. They are relatively light weight and they come finished smooth. They season up really nice and they are pretty reasonably priced. I have four of them. One set of No. 10 and No. 12 for the kitchen/grills and one for the camp box when I do river floats.

Name:	IMG_3321.jpg
Views:	190
Size:	203.4 KB
ID:	580834

The Smithey is an excellent, beautiful pan as well, but they are pricey. My Smithy came from the manufacturer with the best layer of seasoning I have seen from the factory. Theses pans are heavy enough to stand up to the outdoor cooks. The Smithey also has a shorter handle, this is okay for fitting it in the BGE, but not so good when the pan is loaded as it can make it tough to pick up. (I have large hands, so this might not be an issue for you.)

Name:	IMG_4136.jpg
Size:	62.4 KB
ID:	580831Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4122.jpg
Views:	223
Size:	94.4 KB
ID:	580833Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4125.jpg
Views:	187
Size:	61.7 KB
ID:	580832
        Perhaps my favorite pan for the grill is the Marquette Castings No. 13. This is truly a unique piece that preforms flawlessly on the grill. The great thing about this pan is the "love handle" design. This means that you can really maximize your space within your BGE. You don't have the handle sticking out on side, so you are able to place the pan in the middle of the heat and you will have much more even heating. I love this pan. You basically have to helping handles instead of the traditional long handle on one side, and the helper on the other side. Additionally, the surface is milled smooth and it comes from the factory with a pretty solid layer of Flax seasoning. These are expensive pans, but they are made in the USA handmade with care that is tough to find these days. One really unique feature is the sand they use in casting these pans. The sand comes from the dunes on the eastern shores of Lake Michigan. (I know, I know.......so what?) The difference is the surface of the pan. The granular size of the sand is very fine, so the casting is almost totally smooth, inside and out.

Name:	IMG_0865.jpg
Views:	187
Size:	74.1 KB
ID:	580836Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0864.jpg
Views:	183
Size:	56.8 KB
ID:	580835
        Finally, one of my favorite and cheapest pans in my collection. The Lodge L10SKL is a great pan for the grill and the kitchen. I use it all the time for corn bread. These pans are heavier and much rougher than the pans mentioned above, but it is also cheaper and readily available. They do take longer to become non-stick but from a value standpoint, it doesn't really get much better than Lodge. And they are STILL made on the USA. I own the whole collection of Lodge "love handle" pans and I love and use them all.

To summarize, you can spend a lot or spend relatively little when it comes to these cast iron pans. All of these are great choices for outdoor cooking. However, I would tend to lean towards the Marquette Castings NO. 13 and/or the Lodge L10SKL. The love handle design simple can't be beat when it comes to cooking on a circular grill/smoker like the BGE. Most people will have to use two hands to move the large pans when they are full of food. Having the love handles are just as easy as having a full size handle. Yet, you don't run into the space restrictions that come with a regular long handle/helper handle combo.

Let me know what you are thinking! Happy shopping!

Comment

• Craigar
          Craigar commented
          Editing a comment
          So is the Smithey a part of the Partridge Family collection?

• Spinaker
          Spinaker commented
          Editing a comment
          I like all the Field Skillets. The No. 10 is probably more useful because of its size. For frying chicken, I’d say the Smithey, only because it’s a little heavier, and the side walls are a bit higher. Jon Liebers All will work though.

• Spinaker
          Spinaker commented
          Editing a comment
          You know it! Craigar

Spinaker, check it out! Of course it has to come out 2 months after I got my Finex....man I'm sorely tempted to do it. It's beautifully simple!

Comment

• Spinaker
          Spinaker commented
          Editing a comment
          I have one on order!

Just got the Finex 12. Got the new Stargazer 12 on order too. I think Spinaker is affecting me. Love cooking with cast iron.

Name:	6915C497-935F-488C-BD51-18C651D85919.jpeg
Views:	177
Size:	101.7 KB
ID:	588784

Comment

• Spinaker
          Spinaker commented
          Editing a comment
          Awesome! Unboxing a Finex is always a treat!

Name:	DFFD2FBE-3910-4B53-8AD2-39E2744D4464.jpeg
Views:	208
Size:	123.4 KB
ID:	588797 And my latest toy, the Lodge sportsman grill. Got it seasoned up, but have not actually cooked on it yet.

Comment

• Spinaker
          Spinaker commented
          Editing a comment
          Oh yeah!!!! You are gonna love that thing. I use mine all the time for small cooks. They are a blast. I like to use a cast iron pan as a lid when I am doing thicker cuts.

• jgreen
          jgreen commented
          Editing a comment
          Spinaker do you wash out the inside of the firebox every so many cooks and reseason with oil, or just protect the outside?

• Craigar
          Craigar commented
          Editing a comment
          Congrats @green ! My wife just gave me one the other day for b-day. I just got it put together yesterday, but I haven't seasoned it yet as it was raining and I didn't feel like going outside.

I drug this 14" Griswold home yesterday, and left it in the tub for 6 hours.

Name:	cast-iron restoration.jpg
Views:	227
Size:	62.9 KB
ID:	588930

And this is the after photo:

Name:	after.jpg
Views:	197
Size:	45.6 KB
ID:	588931

Should I soak it again, maybe a stronger solution? Or go straight to the flap wheel?
        Thanks
        Dick

Comment

• Spinaker
          Spinaker commented
          Editing a comment
          The E-bath is much more complete and total, without the risk of damaging the pan in the process. I am also willing to clean it for you and send it back, if you are interested.

• Dick Anderson
          Dick Anderson commented
          Editing a comment
          Thanks for the offer! I read through your article again, and wire brushed my steel (old skil-saw blades). It's cookin' now!

• texastweeter
          texastweeter commented
          Editing a comment
          I use either the potato and salt method, or the elbow grease and steel wool with great success. If real bad, they get a run through the oven on the self clean cycle first.

Announcement

Collapse
      No announcement yet.
      Working...
      X
      false
      ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
      false
      false
      {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
      Yes
      ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
      /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here